Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

porkface posted:

I'd like to move off a laptop I've been using as a Plex server.

1) Is anyone using a Shield with SMB mounts for storage?

Yes, I use a shield with SMB mounts on a Synology NAS. Had some growing pains a couple of years ago, but these days it's rock solid and "just works" for me. You don't get to do fancy plug-in stuff and migrating the library off when it comes to that looks like it'll be a pain, but I'm very happy with my set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything about the Shield that makes it better than a cheap intel box (I'm using a Dell Optiplex 755)? Perhaps it can transcode well due to the GPU?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Smashing Link posted:

Is there anything about the Shield that makes it better than a cheap intel box (I'm using a Dell Optiplex 755)? Perhaps it can transcode well due to the GPU?

Main pluses are that it can direct play 4k hdr content and properly swaps to other framerates most of the time in plex. It also could be your plex server if you need that and has the added bonus of nvidia gamestream stuff if you have a nvidia gpu on a gaming pc and want to play your pc games over your local network. Input Latency has been pretty good in my experience but I haven't used it too much yet.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

MagusDraco posted:

Main pluses are that it can direct play 4k hdr content and properly swaps to other framerates most of the time in plex. It also could be your plex server if you need that and has the added bonus of nvidia gamestream stuff if you have a nvidia gpu on a gaming pc and want to play your pc games over your local network. Input Latency has been pretty good in my experience but I haven't used it too much yet.

Good to know. I would be more interested in it as a server that also runs android than a player so probably not worth the money.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Smashing Link posted:

Good to know. I would be more interested in it as a server that also runs android than a player so probably not worth the money.

It depends. It is a perfectly fine server though I don't remember if it's still recommended to get the 500gb for metadata space reasons or not. I have shield tv gen 2 but only use it as a player for plex and other android stuff (amazon prime instant video, youtube, espn app, etc)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Smashing Link posted:

It's one of the best clients and has the ability to be an okay server, so if its limitations as a server aren't show stoppers for you it's kind of a no brainer. As one box it's hard to beat. It's also pretty power efficient compared to most desktops.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Smashing Link posted:

Just about everything is better about it. Not to say it is utterly perfect but it is pretty close to that for most use cases.

Though lately I've come to appreciate Roku as well. If you don't care about Kodi or using the Shield as a Plex server the Roku Ultra is a drat nice client, and cheaper.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

Anyone with a server version above 1.15.1.710 noticing Plex using more CPU when nothing's going on? Went from <1% with 1.15.1.710 to 15% when I tried 1.15.1.791 or 1.15.2.793. Nothing was streaming or even being accessed.

astral posted:

Thanks for the tip - looks like in the Plex Media Server.log files corresponding with the runs/versions that had higher CPU usage, it's flooded with:

code:
WARN - [CompanionPlayer] We already have a handler, overwriting.
lines. Tons of them each second. The non-CPU-hog version has a total of 2 instead of hundreds/thousands.

Finally had some time to do proper troubleshooting and it looks like it was being caused by having a plex web tab open from before upgrading the server. Something was causing it to make a quite frankly insane (dozens and dozens per second) amount of requests to the server. Closed the plex web tab, cleared storage/cookies for the domain, and I am happy to report it is no longer eating the CPU or flooding the logs. :ms:

Weirdest thing was that before doing that, whenever I downgraded the server it went back to normal. You'd think if the tab was going to make that many requests, it'd still do it on the older version. :iiam:

astral fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 23, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That's some drat fine troubleshooting

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

astral posted:

Finally had some time to do proper troubleshooting and it looks like it was being caused by having a plex web tab open from before upgrading the server. Something was causing it to make a quite frankly insane (dozens and dozens per second) amount of requests to the server. Closed the plex web tab, cleared storage/cookies for the domain, and I am happy to report it is no longer eating the CPU or flooding the logs. :ms:

Weirdest thing was that before doing that, whenever I downgraded the server it went back to normal. You'd think if the tab was going to make that many requests, it'd still do it on the older version. :iiam:

This definitely checks out. I find that closing whatever Plex tab may be open and having Task Scheduler restart the server process every night at 3am does wonders to keep janky nonsense like that at bay.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to get Podcasts excluded from my music search in the iPhone app? I have all of the Podcast media types disabled and plugins disabled but they keep cropping up.

I’m ok with zero results if I don’t have the song.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Is there a way to get Podcasts excluded from my music search in the iPhone app? I have all of the Podcast media types disabled and plugins disabled but they keep cropping up.

I’m ok with zero results if I don’t have the song.

I have no real answer to this, but wanted to jump in to say: probably no. Because of the shtification of Plex due to their feature pushing. I'm getting somewhat disappointed with this kind of crap. Like.....I get it, you really want me to consume content the way you want me to consume content, but for fucks sake stop doing poo poo like reseting preferences like "turn off the goddamn Play Theme Music" thing when the Roku app updates.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is a bit of an odd question but why does the HD Homerun Connect with Plex not produce as good of a picture quality as the coax directly to my TV?

Keep in mind I am not complaining. Not having to run coax to every single TV in my house is a godsend. I am just wondering the technical reason for it. From what I understand, I am using the MPEG2 version of the HD Homerun, which talks to Plex. Plex feeds it to my NVidia Shield devices, and that's how I view live TV from the antenna on my roof.

From what I can see, there is zero conversion or transcoding going on. The TV stations are MPEG2, my HD Homerun box is MPEG2, and my NVidia Shield is displaying the pure MPEG2 signal. Is it just a matter of it having to "pass through" a bunch of stuff before getting to my TV, whereas the coax on the back of my TV is a "100 pure" direct connection?

Again this is not a complaint; I would never go back to coax to my TVs ever again. But it's a bit of a bummer I can't show my friends "hey, look how much better OTA looks compared to FiOS", and I am just wondering if there's a technical reason it doesn't look as good as coax.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It’s probably transcoding the video. Install tautulli on whatever your plex server is and see what’s going on while you watch a stream.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dren posted:

It’s probably transcoding the video. Install tautulli on whatever your plex server is and see what’s going on while you watch a stream.

Thank you big time. Trying it now.

edit: I am getting a " You are running an unknown version of Tautulli." error even though i followed the guide perfectly and installed GIT perfectly as per the FAQ.

Ignoring that I also see no way to get the Android app to connect outside the network even though I am using the external IP address :mad:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 24, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is a bit of an odd question but why does the HD Homerun Connect with Plex not produce as good of a picture quality as the coax directly to my TV?

I was just checking on this, because the HDHR I have (extend) does transcode in hardware. So I expect that. The connect does not. As Dren said, tautulli is the way to go to start investigating this.

I've run into issues between my switch and the HDHR that was causing me to drop packets so the stream looked like extra garbage, way worse than just transcoding. I hit up their tech support and they were super helpful and asked "are you seeing dropped packets on that switch port because we can see that on your device?" (they can check stats on their side via the serial number) I seriously didn't consider this.......as a network engineer (sometimes I'm just a dumbass). Turns out there were a ton and when I confirmed that responded with very helpful advice (their speed/duplex negotiation is kinda poo poo, so I turned that off on my switch port and set it to 1000/full and it negotiated properly and everything has been fine since).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

I was just checking on this, because the HDHR I have (extend) does transcode in hardware. So I expect that. The connect does not. As Dren said, tautulli is the way to go to start investigating this.

I've run into issues between my switch and the HDHR that was causing me to drop packets so the stream looked like extra garbage, way worse than just transcoding. I hit up their tech support and they were super helpful and asked "are you seeing dropped packets on that switch port because we can see that on your device?" (they can check stats on their side via the serial number) I seriously didn't consider this.......as a network engineer (sometimes I'm just a dumbass). Turns out there were a ton and when I confirmed that responded with very helpful advice (their speed/duplex negotiation is kinda poo poo, so I turned that off on my switch port and set it to 1000/full and it negotiated properly and everything has been fine since).

Dren posted:

Thanks for the replies. The network switch issue you had is an interesting one to investigate but mine is one of those cheap ones that don't let you configure anything.

I finally got Tautulli working properly and this is what it says when I am running live TV:

I'm guessing this means there's something wrong with my brain if I think it doesn't look as good as a direct coax connection to the TV? Or maybe the fact that I am able to rewind live TV means it's showing me a compressed version regardless?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 24, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

teagone posted:

They did kill their in-house version of it called Plex Cloud. The solution I've tested uses CloudDrive and DrivePool, third party apps developed by StableBit.

This is exactly what I'm doing

[edit] Basically how it works is I use CloudDrive to create mounted NTFS disks in Windows using Google Drive accounts. I then use DrivePool to pool those disks into a single volume. I point Plex to that volume and it works like it should. When I drop a file into the drive pool, CloudDrive uploads the content. Once it's done uploading, you can stream the files. You have to manually scan library files for Plex to update and see the files since it's a remote drive, but other than that, so far with 3 different files of varying bitrates and sizes, I've had no problem streaming them on several client devices.

Sorry for the late reply but wanted to review this when I wasn't mobile and could properly grok what you were doing.

- So the files exist in Google Drive virtually and when Plex goes to run them it streams them from there. Clever. I had always thought that G-Drive required SOME location to have the data physically.

- There's not a good way to set up Google sync with two accounts is there? I already have my main Google Drive account that I use for our family backup. I see that there are free Google Drive accounts that can be had for ridiculous low prices on eBay through an edu email (just knowing that one day they could poof) and would like to run both on one PC at the same time. Don't think that's possible.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I figured I'd post this to help others in case they ever come across this issue.

We tried to play The Little Mermaid on Plex today and it wouldn't work. We had no idea why. I logged into my server and noticed I couldn't even open the video in VLC, which means the movie got corrupted somehow (even though we had it on 100 times). Anyway I was worried that other movies were corrupted and I searched for hours trying to find ways to scan video files for corrupted videos. All I got were a bunch of scripts that didn't work and janky solutions using powershell but I finally came across this free program: https://electronjs.org/apps/hbbatchbeast

It works great. You just give it a directory (E:\Movies for me) and it scans every single movie pretty drat quickly and tells you which ones were corrupted. I had 4 corrupted movies, and one of them indeed was The Little Mermaid. Anyway since it took me drat near forever to find this program I figured I would share it for anyone who ever needs something similar.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I figured I'd post this to help others in case they ever come across this issue.

We tried to play The Little Mermaid on Plex today and it wouldn't work. We had no idea why. I logged into my server and noticed I couldn't even open the video in VLC, which means the movie got corrupted somehow (even though we had it on 100 times). Anyway I was worried that other movies were corrupted and I searched for hours trying to find ways to scan video files for corrupted videos. All I got were a bunch of scripts that didn't work and janky solutions using powershell but I finally came across this free program: https://electronjs.org/apps/hbbatchbeast

It works great. You just give it a directory (E:\Movies for me) and it scans every single movie pretty drat quickly and tells you which ones were corrupted. I had 4 corrupted movies, and one of them indeed was The Little Mermaid. Anyway since it took me drat near forever to find this program I figured I would share it for anyone who ever needs something similar.

This sounds useful, but it suggests that your files are getting corrupted because the drive they're on is going bad (i.e. bad sectors on the surface.) Run CrystalDiskInfo, it'll probably report a bunch of reallocated sectors.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

This sounds useful, but it suggests that your files are getting corrupted because the drive they're on is going bad (i.e. bad sectors on the surface.) Run CrystalDiskInfo, it'll probably report a bunch of reallocated sectors.

That's what's weird. I thought the same thing. So I re-downloaded the Little Mermaid. Copied it over to E:\movies. The file was "bad" again, but played just fine from F:\downloads. After like the 3rd time copying/pasting the movie, it worked when played from the E:

I would assume this is a dying drive in a second but no other movies have the issue, and Crystaldiskinfo is not showing any errors on the drive either. Is there some other way to test it? Something wonky is obviously going on.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That's what's weird. I thought the same thing. So I re-downloaded the Little Mermaid. Copied it over to E:\movies. The file was "bad" again, but played just fine from F:\downloads. After like the 3rd time copying/pasting the movie, it worked when played from the E:

I would assume this is a dying drive in a second but no other movies have the issue, and Crystaldiskinfo is not showing any errors on the drive either. Is there some other way to test it? Something wonky is obviously going on.

Hmm, perhaps there are surface errors that are causing corruptions in the files that occupy that space, but the drive hasn't identified the sectors as bad yet? :shrug:

I use HD Sentinel to test my drives, and it both provides you a ton of information and gives you the option to perform a variety of tests. I'd suggest a long/extended self-test and one of the non-destructive read tests (the former is apparently vendor-specific in terms of what the scan entails but performs a full surface scan, however it's performed by the drive's controller so the host isn't aware (you won't see drive activity in the OS.)) Just about a week ago I tested some old drives and found some with bad sectors; at least one detected more reallocated sectors in the course of my testing and couldn't pass a full surface scan (or at least not in the time I gave it: it repeatedly detected the bad sectors and tried to read them unsuccessfully over and over, and it takes a long time before it gives up so I had to abort the test.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

Hmm, perhaps there are surface errors that are causing corruptions in the files that occupy that space, but the drive hasn't identified the sectors as bad yet? :shrug:

I use HD Sentinel to test my drives, and it both provides you a ton of information and gives you the option to perform a variety of tests. I'd suggest a long/extended self-test and one of the non-destructive read tests (the former is apparently vendor-specific in terms of what the scan entails but performs a full surface scan, however it's performed by the drive's controller so the host isn't aware (you won't see drive activity in the OS.)) Just about a week ago I tested some old drives and found some with bad sectors; at least one detected more reallocated sectors in the course of my testing and couldn't pass a full surface scan (or at least not in the time I gave it: it repeatedly detected the bad sectors and tried to read them unsuccessfully over and over, and it takes a long time before it gives up so I had to abort the test.)

Thank you for this. I bought HD Sentinel and am removing the movies off the drive as we speak. Luckily the drive is like a month old so it won't cost me anything if it's shot.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

Small update but I let HD Sentinel run for hours, and I ran both the quick and thorough Western Digital tests, and everything is reporting the drive is fine even though it's corrupting video files I've had no issues with on other drives for 5 years :psyduck:

I think I am going to send it back to WD just to be safe but I feel like such an rear end in a top hat doing it because absolutely nothing is coming up wrong with my drive

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Small update but I let HD Sentinel run for hours, and I ran both the quick and thorough Western Digital tests, and everything is reporting the drive is fine even though it's corrupting video files I've had no issues with on other drives for 5 years :psyduck:

I think I am going to send it back to WD just to be safe but I feel like such an rear end in a top hat doing it because absolutely nothing is coming up wrong with my drive

wonder if it's something as simple as "sata data cable is a bit loose/bad" though that would potentially trip smart udma crc errors and it's a little weird nothing's showing up

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

wonder if it's something as simple as "sata data cable is a bit loose/bad" though that would potentially trip smart udma crc errors and it's a little weird nothing's showing up

It's an external USB drive or I would have thought the same thing

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

It's an external USB drive or I would have thought the same thing

drive in an enclosure or just some 2.5"/3.5" WD passport/easystore thing? 'cause I've had enclosure go bad on me and drives would be recognized but could not be formatted and were barely usable til I bought a new enclosure.

edit: and if it's a 2.5" usb powered drive maybe it just isn't getting enough power from the PC. I've had situations where I had two 500gb 2.5" drives plugged into next to each other on my front case usb ports and if they both spun up at the same time one would go into "not enough power" mode or something and would not be usable

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Try testing your RAM with something like memtest86 first.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

drive in an enclosure or just some 2.5"/3.5" WD passport/easystore thing? 'cause I've had enclosure go bad on me and drives would be recognized but could not be formatted and were barely usable til I bought a new enclosure.

edit: and if it's a 2.5" usb powered drive maybe it just isn't getting enough power from the PC. I've had situations where I had two 500gb 2.5" drives plugged into next to each other on my front case usb ports and if they both spun up at the same time one would go into "not enough power" mode or something and would not be usable

Thank you for the reply! It turns out after messing with the PC for almost the entire day I figured it out. As astral here mentions:

astral posted:

Try testing your RAM with something like memtest86 first.

Ding ding ding! I didn't even think of this but this was the same day I overclocked my CPU, so it's probably messing with my RAM somehow and it probably corrupted some of my movies.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Cross posting from the TV thread.

I have the TCL 55R615. I have Plex. When streaming a movie, I notice the audio sometimes lags the video a bit. The sound can cut out for like a second like 2x or 3x over the course of a movie. So not often but enough to notice.

These are 1080p streams, confirmed direct play. Not super high bitrate, like 8 Mbps. These same videos did NOT do this when played via a Roku Streaming Stick+ on an older 1080p TV. Both wireless.

Is it a processing power thing on the TV? Any other ideas to troubleshoot?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

crestfallen posted:

I have the TCL 55R615. I have Plex. When streaming a movie, I notice the audio sometimes lags the video a bit. The sound can cut out for like a second like 2x or 3x over the course of a movie. So not often but enough to notice.

These are 1080p streams, confirmed direct play. Not super high bitrate, like 8 Mbps. These same videos did NOT do this when played via a Roku Streaming Stick+ on an older 1080p TV. Both wireless.

Is the TV and/or the server hardwired?

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

crestfallen posted:

Are you using HDMI-ARC to an external processor? I have an audio lag issue, only on 5.1 audio though with HDMI-ARC. Can "fix" it for a bit with stop and resume. I haven't figured out how to stop the gradual desync over time. The same video direct from Netflix or Amazon doesn't have the issue so I am figuring its Plex.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

crestfallen posted:

teagone posted:

Is the TV and/or the server hardwired?

Oh, just saw both wireless had no issues. Hmm. Is there an option in the Plex app on the TV to change the 'sync mode' to audio?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had that issue with my old TCL 55P605. Never was able to get it working properly, ended up getting a Shield TV instead.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How accurate is the media info on Plex if you right click an episode of something and look at it. I was trying to watch an episode of a TV show that I ripped from DVD and I accidentally left Handbrake on the h265 480p setting and didn't touch the FPS option to change it to use the source FPS. I'm watching in Plex web and panning looks choppy, but the media info shows 24 fps and 23.976 fps. Is this just the browser player sucking? Did Handbrake magically fix the fact that I left the FPS on 30 or does it ignore that option if you feed it 24 fps? Do I need to re-rip the seasons that I accidentally did this way?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RichterIX posted:

How accurate is the media info on Plex if you right click an episode of something and look at it. I was trying to watch an episode of a TV show that I ripped from DVD and I accidentally left Handbrake on the h265 480p setting and didn't touch the FPS option to change it to use the source FPS. I'm watching in Plex web and panning looks choppy, but the media info shows 24 fps and 23.976 fps. Is this just the browser player sucking? Did Handbrake magically fix the fact that I left the FPS on 30 or does it ignore that option if you feed it 24 fps? Do I need to re-rip the seasons that I accidentally did this way?

Open the file in VLC and see what it says.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheScott2K posted:

Open the file in VLC and see what it says.

VLC shows 23.976 too so I guess I'm okay? It's Veronica Mars, I wanted to re-watch it before the Hulu series comes out. I'm probably better off not ripping my own discs because it occurs to me that I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. I don't think SD content benefits much in file size from using HEVC, my browser doesn't direct play it, and I am not as accustomed to some of its settings in handbrake as I was to h264.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Do you have a client device that isn't Plex Web you could try them on? Could just be the juddering is an issue with your PC not doing well with HEVC.

HEVC is the future so you may be better off keeping the rips you made.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
When I get home I'll try it on my Chromecast Ultra. I was mainly concerned because I didn't remember changing the FPS option on Handbrake and I think it defaults to 30, but again maybe that option doesn't do anything if you're ripping to HEVC. Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RichterIX posted:

When I get home I'll try it on my Chromecast Ultra. I was mainly concerned because I didn't remember changing the FPS option on Handbrake and I think it defaults to 30, but again maybe that option doesn't do anything if you're ripping to HEVC. Thanks for your help!

I have a 4K HEVC copy of Spider-Verse. My GPU can't help decode HEVC because it's too old, and my CPU is too slow to do it in software, so on Plex Web it runs like rear end, and any client that needs a transcode is SOL. But, my smart TV can DirectPlay it no problem. HEVC is funny like that. Support just hasn't quite trickled all the way down yet.