Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Elder Scrolls Series Discussion: humor has no place in Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Doc Hawkins posted:

Elder Scrolls Series Discussion: humor has no place in Games

Mod Howard, change the thread title.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
In Todd Howard's defense, he is the man who directed Shivering Isles, which is rife with humor.

I've also been playing Blades on my phone. I'm not sure how awful the microtransactions will get later but it seems like a fun enough game to mess around with.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yeah I'm gonna be honest I don't see much drama from this whole thing unless the people involved decide to act like little children. It's not like Kirkbride is bragging about how he duped Todd into something embarrassing, or criminal, or damaging. It's just creative direction stuff from more than 15 years ago

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Who greenlighted Crassius Curio then.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

John F Bennett posted:

Who greenlighted Crassius Curio then.

"Influential white male demands sexual favors before helping your career" probably didn't seem as problematic at the time.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dude jokes about his kids playing Bethesda games. He has a sense of humor.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also everything involving him and E3 last year

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mountaineer posted:

"Influential white male demands sexual favors before helping your career" probably didn't seem as problematic at the time.

this was a joke in toy story 2

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Let's all admit, at least in the privacy of our own thoughts, that our own senses of humor might not impress Kirkbride either.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Todd is a joke, standing at 4'4".

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i don't think there's any top anime betrayal in between the lines here, kirkbride still occasionally consults on TES stuff apparently, though he's been tied up until recently with tell tale

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

i don't think there's any top anime betrayal in between the lines here, kirkbride still occasionally consults on TES stuff apparently, though he's been tied up until recently with tell tale

I want to see the alternate universe where we get Telltale's Morrowind by Michael Kirkbride, complete with text adventure explorations of the nature of CHIM

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

A bit of TES VI news out of the Elder Scrolls panel at Pax East.

1. Neither it nor Starfield will be discussed at E3 this year.
2. Grandma Shirley Curry, Skyrim Megafan, was previously the subject of a petition for Bethesda to add her to TES VI. Bethesda revealed that they have had her digitized and she will be in the game as a character.
3. A few environmental assets which seem to support a desert environment, meaning Hammerfell looks more likely.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Arivia posted:

I want to see the alternate universe where we get Telltale's Morrowind by Michael Kirkbride, complete with text adventure explorations of the nature of CHIM

I need to hear more about molag bal's spear

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

A bit of TES VI news out of the Elder Scrolls panel at Pax East.

1. Neither it nor Starfield will be discussed at E3 this year.
2. Grandma Shirley Curry, Skyrim Megafan, was previously the subject of a petition for Bethesda to add her to TES VI. Bethesda revealed that they have had her digitized and she will be in the game as a character.
3. A few environmental assets which seem to support a desert environment, meaning Hammerfell looks more likely.

But elseweyr also has deserts right?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Could be Bangkorai, could be Elsweyr. I hope Grandma gets put in as our new Heimskr. Looking forward to an hour of talking about how good Blades will be.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Akavir. Let's go.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I was personally hoping for guerilla warfare in vietnam valenwood but deserts are cool too I guess

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If you can't mod Blades it's going to suck as much as Fallout 76, since there won't be people fixing Bethesda's game for them.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

But elseweyr also has deserts right?

I very highly doubt that it's Elsweyr, especially since ESO is going there this year. I expect they'd stay away from the targeted location of the next mainline game.

Also, what we know about the geography of the next game lines up much better with Hammerfell than Elsweyr.

Hellsau posted:

If you can't mod Blades it's going to suck as much as Fallout 76, since there won't be people fixing Bethesda's game for them.

Unfortunately, given that it relies on microtransactions (and I doubt that will change when it comes to Steam), I don't think you can expect it to be moddable.

It's not terrible so far, some people on Reddit are complaining about a bit of a wall of progress, but it seems enjoyable enough. Also, very technically impressive in how they've made it capable of being played in either portrait with touch-to-go-here controls, or landscape with either touch-to-go-here controls or fake analog sticks. It doesn't affect combat at all since it pulls you into a one-on-one fight where you tap the enemy, but for exploration it feels decently familiar (even if I lament the absence of actual analog sticks).

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 30, 2019

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So I tried to play tES:O, but the launcher takes over an hour to download on a 170mb/s pipe, and then the launcher itself crashes at 3% update.

GG, Zenimax.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Arivia posted:

You gaze into the abyss of the Water Face:
- "Tell me more"
- "I understand"
- "*dance on his Tower*"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sky Shadowing posted:

I very highly doubt that it's Elsweyr, especially since ESO is going there this year. I expect they'd stay away from the targeted location of the next mainline game.

Also, what we know about the geography of the next game lines up much better with Hammerfell than Elsweyr.

yeah, this is what i mostly assume, anything not TES6 will be available to ESO so that both games aren't stepping on each others toes

with Elsweyr expansion coming out this summer that would also leave majority of Hammerfell and Black Marsh as the two spots yet to be fully expanded upon by ESO and its definitely not black marsh

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Meridian posted:

Akavir. Let's go.

I think it would be cool to go to Akavir and not only learn that the 1000 year old stories about that place are all exaggerated or just made up, but they have similar exaggerated stories about Tamriel. I wouldn't want it to end up a super generic fantasy land like Oblivion, just that it would be cool to see how centuries of embellishment changed the accounts on both side, sometimes to an extreme degree. It would probably require a lot of incredible writing to pull off properly though, so oh well.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

im in the camp its just TES: Japan/East Asia which is going to be disappointing to some but that's pretty much what everything points to outside of the 2920 series of in-game lore books which are pretty unreliable even for elder scrolls books

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
akivir should be a backtrack how the nerevarine took those boats to akivir, and you're some random rear end deck hand on the last late boat, and you end up in the brig but the ship fuckin wrecks and you gotta try and find your people in a foreign dangerous area and come home. They won't do this because they never turn back the clock between games and also trying to bring back language skills failed miserably

valenwood should be you're in thalmor doom prison and it gets raided and you get busted out, then you can do poo poo like secretly try to help one of the 2 living blades, or help the empire, or help the thalmor or just gently caress around trying to get to actual walking tree cities through dangerous woods. This won't happen because it's written incredibly heavy handed and also the trees stopped moving after morrowind and the jungles are precisely done in the most completely underwhelming way

black marsh would be crazy and you have to escape from extremely pissed and hostile argonians who have you hostage. they should set it up so you need water walking or some kind of actual boat to get around in the deep marsh. However gambryo makes the boat flip into the planet's core when a certain kind crocodile comes out to attack or you accidentally beach the fucker. If you cast water walking while not on land it doesn't force you to the surface it forces you into the sun so they made it uncastable if your feet are wet

Spears and a bunch of different kinds of armors and spells are still cut, and combat is still wonky and akivir especially doesn't have hand to hand, and everyone bitches about how it's two steps forward two steps back simplified for babies, but everyone still buys it including me

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
I'd like to see the next TES game be set after the Thalmor are defeated, but because elves live a really long time there are a lot of sympathizers and hidden pro-Thalmor cells kicking about.

If they did Summerset Isle, the politics of the Empire being basically an occupying force but also the restoration of a pre-Nazi regime could be pretty interesting.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i'd kind of like the empire to just be buried at this point

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's called "elsewhere". We're not going there

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I wonder in what circumstances we will be imprisoned this time

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

he was not born a shitler
no shareholders drove him to this path
it was his own desire to direct AAA titles
he stole the ip, and pushed out the kirkbride

howard wrote this

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I can't even try it out despite signing up for the early access because apparently my pixel is not compatible.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ebola Dog posted:

I can't even try it out despite signing up for the early access because apparently my pixel is not compatible.

The quintessential Bethesda experience

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fuligin posted:

howard wrote this

wealth beyond measure

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Arivia posted:

it's the part in every telltale game where you just walk down a hallway while another character explains the plot of the game to you while you don't get to respond or push any buttons but it's Dagoth Ur talking to you about Anti-CHIM and it takes 4 hours

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

it's the part in every telltale game where you just walk down a hallway while another character explains the plot of the game to you while you don't get to respond or push any buttons but it's Dagoth Ur talking to you about Anti-CHIM and it takes 4 hours

day 1 buy

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Fuligin posted:

howard wrote this

The ending of the words is BETHESDA

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Ebola Dog posted:

Which version is it? It works fine on my bfs pixel, but he's got one of the newer ones.

Also gently caress the chest system. 3 hour timer for lovely loot and 6 hours for mediocre and the only dungeon loot is a trickle of crafting mats 2-10 gold and MORE CHESTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Which version is it? It works fine on my bfs pixel, but he's got one of the newer ones.

Also gently caress the chest system. 3 hour timer for lovely loot and 6 hours for mediocre and the only dungeon loot is a trickle of crafting mats 2-10 gold and MORE CHESTS.

Lots of people have complained about the silver chests and Bethesda has confirmed they're going to re-balance them.