Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the charge attack upgrade for it is practically guaranteed to apply the burning status on things that can be burned, pushes you back giving you some breathing room, and has a decent splash for groups. it's not the worst thing in the world, especially in the early game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

the charge attack upgrade for it is practically guaranteed to apply the burning status on things that can be burned, pushes you back giving you some breathing room, and has a decent splash for groups. it's not the worst thing in the world, especially in the early game
The "decent splash for groups" is enough to very nearly kill the three monks in front of the bug boi all at once if I use the charge blast at the middle guy. People underestimate how good that tool is.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will say i honestly haven't used the basic attack with it since i got the charge attack though, i can't remember how effective it is on its own

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The flamethrower upgrade for the flame vent is pretty handy too, really makes a dent in some later game enemies, and is pretty fun combined with the final prosthetic tree skill.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of the final prosthetic skill, i assume with the flame vent it lights your sword on fire ala charred pine resin from dark souls, but what does using it with divine abduction do?

edit: i goog'd it, looks like it's just a sword swing that instantly turns who you hit with it around for a backstab... how is that different from just using the fan by itself?

video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9MBqJdmCdg

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 28, 2019

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
So From games (barring some weirdness in DS2) usually have understandable geography and levels that make sense in relation to each other, but the one thing I can't wrap my mind around is that a secret passage from the top of Ashina Castle leads to the dilapidated temple.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of the final prosthetic skill, i assume with the flame vent it lights your sword on fire ala charred pine resin from dark souls, but what does using it with divine abduction do?

Correct on the former, the latter seems to give you an aura for a short time? That's the most I can see from it, I'll have to look again when I play to make sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I found that the Bull didn't require sprinting at all once you got him stuck in the alcove corner. I didn't even lock on. I just kept running around him and keeping his AI confused. He would occasionally charge out of the corner, but then he'd charge right back and I could successfully dodge or jump over him most of the time. This was so reliable that I didn't

To me, the Bull is definitely the Capra Demon of this game.

I fought him exactly like Sif and the Giant Rat and other quadrapeds from Souls. Circle strafe dodging and stabbing in the butt or back legs. Beat him first try.

Capra was a dick because he killed you before you could even see him, there's nothing quiiiite like that in this but I guess the bull does charge your rear end. The horseman dude before it is more of a curveball at the time I feel like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjdIw-6TcDI

This video has lots of cool stuff I didn't know, I haven't seen it posted but this thread does move light speed

Sekiro straight up WAS a Tenchu game to start with. It literally is Tenchu Souls.

The name Sekiro does translate to one-armed wolf.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

edit: i goog'd it, looks like it's just a sword swing that instantly turns who you hit with it around for a backstab... how is that different from just using the fan by itself?

video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9MBqJdmCdg
Look at the emblem cost. You only pay once.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Darth Nat posted:

So From games (barring some weirdness in DS2) usually have understandable geography and levels that make sense in relation to each other, but the one thing I can't wrap my mind around is that a secret passage from the top of Ashina Castle leads to the dilapidated temple.

Bold of you to question the mysterious ways of the ninja

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

Look at the emblem cost. You only pay once.

i think you only pay to "prime" it when using it as normal too though?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh watching it again you know what it is, it comes out immediately after the initial priming, so ostensibly quicker than the normal way

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Hahahaha.

Ashina Castle Genichiro. Two deathblows in on my second try. Wow, this was easy! I've gotten a lot better! One more boss under my be-

Phase three and I die to lightning.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeahh, I'm done. I can't do the Endboss,and this game is stressing me out after work. I'm too old for this

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you got to the final boss you are definitely not too old for this.

For what its worth I think that boss has at least one phase too many and it's a huge pain to learn thanks to that. Not their best design moment in this game.

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeahh, I'm done. I can't do the Endboss,and this game is stressing me out after work. I'm too old for this

you cant quit at the endboss. meditate under a waterfall and power up to defeat him. dont be a coward

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Amppelix posted:

If you got to the final boss you are definitely not too old for this.

For what its worth I think that boss has at least one phase too many and it's a huge pain to learn thanks to that. Not their best design moment in this game.

That's my issue. I have no time to learn the phases,and my reflexes are suffering+this is giving me wrist pains

I've tried Demon of Hatred as well and my brain wires can't handle a soulsboss

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So after finishing Mibu village and currently fighting the next main boss I'm wonderng what new mini bosses there are to fight. I've done THe one in the ashina dojo in the castle and the one in at the great serpent shrine. Are there any others I've missed before fighting at the top of the castle for a second time?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jose posted:

So after finishing Mibu village and currently fighting the next main boss I'm wonderng what new mini bosses there are to fight. I've done THe one in the ashina dojo in the castle and the one in at the great serpent shrine. Are there any others I've missed before fighting at the top of the castle for a second time?

No, you did the two missable ones I think

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

fuuuuck. Just took out Seven Spears after discovering him half an hour ago. Took four tries, where the first ones consisted of me blocking, waiting and dying, and then I suddenly remembered wisdom from the thread, like the turn in a movie, "keep attacking! always attack!". So I did, so they died.

Yeah I think I can say I died more to him so far than any other boss and it was the "attack mercilessly, even if you feel like you're doing it wrong, give him no breathing room" strategy that put me over the top. Another thing that helped was learning you can get another hit or possibly two off in your combo against him if you start attacking on your way down from a jump, which made his posture deplete a lot faster than when I was playing strictly reactive.

I cannot understate how much the typical Souls advice still holds true here - stop giving a poo poo about dying and go berserk on every boss you find. Playing dumb but aggressive beats playing smart but cautious in Sekiro every time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

No, you did the two missable ones I think

drat. I'm 1 prayer bead short of hitting 17 vitality before that boss lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

enojy posted:

Nah it's a piece of poo poo lol

I mean, I'm sure some people have gotten some pretty good use out of it beyond the ogre, but the few times I've tried it where I thought "hey, fire would probably work really well here!" it's done either jack poo poo or, literally, absolutely nothing.

My biggest gripe of the aforementioned (later game big spoiler!) are the chimpanzees. They're covered in fur and the flame vent does absolutely nothing to them. I even tried dousing the huge pack of them in oil first, and still nothing. Very disappointing lack of attention to detail, there. Maybe it works on the ape, but after that, I was too disappointed with the results to bother finding out.

I think it's at the end of the prosthetic skill tree but whatever skill gives you a follow-up attack for the flame vent completely kicks rear end. Lights your sword on fire for quite a while

Also general question: what's the location of the headless who drops the Malcontent ring ?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

goferchan posted:

Also general question: what's the location of the headless who drops the Malcontent ring ?

Its not a headless its a warrior and they're in the headless ape arena

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

oh watching it again you know what it is, it comes out immediately after the initial priming, so ostensibly quicker than the normal way

Yeah and getting hit after priming can knock you out of it and waste your emblems so it's basically a faster/safer option

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

In the room with the (late game boss spoilers) double Ape fight. At some point the statue blanked out for me so I couldn't warp there and when I went to check it out, there was a shachimen warrior or whatever they're called there, it's not a headless.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

Its not a headless its a warrior and they're in the headless ape arena

Oh sweet even better, thanks

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jose posted:

drat. I'm 1 prayer bead short of hitting 17 vitality before that boss lol

I'm sure you missed a few anyhow,I had 18+2 going into castle refight,and missed the serpent shrine one.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What the gently caress is the purpose of Bite Down? Is there some specific enemy or situation it is useful for?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What the gently caress is the purpose of Bite Down? Is there some specific enemy or situation it is useful for?

I think its so that you can lure an enemy away, bite down, then backstab them when they turn to reset. I don't know what the advantage of that over just letting them kill you is though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

this really isn’t true at all? fights in this game are over super quickly once you learn how they work

In beating my head over and over against the LB fight i learned that that fight isn't actually very complex, but it sure as hell is long.
just hammer attack. clangclangclang counter slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclang counter slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclangclang sweepdodge slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclang counter *chaseafterjump* slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclangclang counter *dodge her jump attack* slash clangclangclang counter *chaseafterjump* slash clangclangclang counter slashhhhhhhh

repeat this for roughly 4 minutes until her posture is broken. Even with my base posture (i assmue there'll be upgrades eventually) hers breaks quicker than mine if i keep doing this over and over and over and over, but goddamn it takes a lot of "press attack button 2-3 times, press deflect button, press attack button again, rinse and repeat".
I've taken to just slamming her with the axe whenever she jumps up in the air to do her weird knee drop or whatever that never hits, in the case that the game's camera doesn't flip the gently caress out again and i lose targeting. It cuts down the fight from 4 minutes to like 3m20s. This isn't "super quick" by any measure.
And you better pray that you don't mess up a single sweep attack, cause it'll eat both of your gourd charges to get even close to full health again and lets her regain posture, which either extends the fight to like 6 minutes and gives you worse chances at the second half (OH YEAH there's a second half of this! All over again! Except with less opportunities to keep up the pressure!) or just kills you and cuts it short. Hope you didn't drift off during the monotone clanging for half a second and jumped in time, or it's back to the idol for you

... man i don't even want to start the game up again

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Nah it's a piece of poo poo lol

I mean, I'm sure some people have gotten some pretty good use out of it beyond the ogre, but the few times I've tried it where I thought "hey, fire would probably work really well here!" it's done either jack poo poo or, literally, absolutely nothing.

My biggest gripe of the aforementioned (later game big spoiler!) are the chimpanzees. They're covered in fur and the flame vent does absolutely nothing to them. I even tried dousing the huge pack of them in oil first, and still nothing. Very disappointing lack of attention to detail, there. Maybe it works on the ape, but after that, I was too disappointed with the results to bother finding out.

People's stumbling block with the flame vent is that oil is pretty much mandatory in its un-upgraded state so you may as well consider oil throw -> flame vent a single attack that uses two resources.

What is does is depletes like an 8th of a miniboss's vitality from absolute safety, which is insane and extremely cheezable if you're patient.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm sure you missed a few anyhow,I had 18+2 going into castle refight,and missed the serpent shrine one.

oh wow. I'm going to go hunting then

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Does Guardian Ape have any obvious openings in the second phase? I feel like all I can do is run forever

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don’t think bite down triggers the deathblow cooldown on using a resurrection charge so you could use it when you know you’re inevitably going to burn a resurrection and then still have one in your back pocket ready to go, theoretically

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

goblin week posted:

Does Guardian Ape have any obvious openings in the second phase? I feel like all I can do is run forever

When he does the quadruple poke you can run in just as the forth attack finishes. Also when he does the big slam if you deflect it it staggers him

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HenryEx posted:

In beating my head over and over against the LB fight i learned that that fight isn't actually very complex, but it sure as hell is long.
just hammer attack. clangclangclang counter slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclang counter slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclangclang sweepdodge slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclang counter *chaseafterjump* slash clangclangclang counter slash clangclangclang counter *dodge her jump attack* slash clangclangclang counter *chaseafterjump* slash clangclangclang counter slashhhhhhhh

repeat this for roughly 4 minutes until her posture is broken. Even with my base posture (i assmue there'll be upgrades eventually) hers breaks quicker than mine if i keep doing this over and over and over and over, but goddamn it takes a lot of "press attack button 2-3 times, press deflect button, press attack button again, rinse and repeat".
I've taken to just slamming her with the axe whenever she jumps up in the air to do her weird knee drop or whatever that never hits, in the case that the game's camera doesn't flip the gently caress out again and i lose targeting. It cuts down the fight from 4 minutes to like 3m20s. This isn't "super quick" by any measure.
And you better pray that you don't mess up a single sweep attack, cause it'll eat both of your gourd charges to get even close to full health again and lets her regain posture, which either extends the fight to like 6 minutes and gives you worse chances at the second half (OH YEAH there's a second half of this! All over again! Except with less opportunities to keep up the pressure!) or just kills you and cuts it short. Hope you didn't drift off during the monotone clanging for half a second and jumped in time, or it's back to the idol for you

... man i don't even want to start the game up again

did you throw any shuriken at her while she was jumping around

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

goblin week posted:

When you deflect a big attack and he gets knocked way the gently caress down use the spear R2 - R2 pull

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've been trying to figure it out on my own the whole game but I've just accepted I never will - what exactly do the two orbs above your vitality mean?

Like I know it's your resurrection power but what exactly does it signify? When you're topped off you have two orbs...when you die and revive you get a line crossed through both...when you perform deathblows or when enough time passes you get one back...but why do you ever have two orbs if you can only revive once anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

poo poo! poo poo! I killed the friendly guy you find right at the drunk fat man with sword fight! I snuck up to him and mashed attack and by the time he could tell me to stop I hit him a whole lot and made him hostile. Now he’s dead and I only have one gourd charge and no pellets and drunk man is far far far beyond my abilities. Am I permanently hosed now? I don’t think I am capable of defeating any of the strong named enemies

right now I can fight General guy from the start of the game who maybe I could beat but I am very much not confident in that. I could try the ogre again but I don’t have enough charges to keep burning him and I don’t have enough health to survive any attacks at all.