Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

got any sevens posted:

wow is dieing

Don't mind me just founding my new airline

*Big rear end plane rolls by painted pink with the words gently caress SNEEP written on the side*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Food $200
Fuel $150
Plane Upkeep $800
Mauve paint $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my airline is dying

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jist got two push notifications that the CEO of Wells Fargo is out and the #2 at Morgan Stanley is out. Seems normal.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

got any sevens posted:

wow is dieing

the battle for altitude expansion is selling pretty poorly

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

found this while searching for the Morgan Stanley news

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/former-morgan-stanley-asia-chairman-be-prepared-to-dump-stocks-very-quickly-2019-03-28

quote:

Former Morgan Stanley Asia chairman: Be prepared to dump stocks ‘very quickly’

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kobayashi posted:

Jist got two push notifications that the CEO of Wells Fargo is out and the #2 at Morgan Stanley is out. Seems normal.

WF CEO Sloan is retiring (at a very opportune time :thunk:) but I can't find anything about the Morgan Stanley #2 being out

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/28/wells-fargo-ceo-tim-sloan-retiring.html

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/skabooshka/status/1111038922912493568

twitter suspended an account critical of tesla after they posted a spreadsheet of tesla-related deaths

(the account has since been reinstated)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Ruzihm posted:

https://twitter.com/skabooshka/status/1111038922912493568

twitter suspended an account critical of tesla after they posted a spreadsheet of tesla-related deaths

(the account has since been reinstated)

oh god someone get on the phone with Nader.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NADER 2020 BABY

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

WF CEO Sloan is retiring (at a very opportune time :thunk:) but I can't find anything about the Morgan Stanley #2 being out

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/28/wells-fargo-ceo-tim-sloan-retiring.html

https://www.ft.com/content/61774a86-5197-11e9-9c76-bf4a0ce37d49

Morgan Stanley’s number two executive to step down
Colm Kelleher will finish up in June and become senior adviser to the bank

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Looks like Lyft is IPOing

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/28/lyft-prices-ipo-at-top-of-range/

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Tunicate posted:

NADER 2020 BABY

Perot / Zombie LaRouche 2020 :colbert:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gotta suck that wealth up before it dries up adn then dump the toxic dessicated corpse of a failed asset onto pension and retirement funds :hellyeah:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Xaris posted:

gotta suck that wealth up before it dries up adn then dump the toxic dessicated corpse of a failed asset onto pension and retirement funds :hellyeah:

Here's hoping they don't allow for that to happen.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

didn't someone just post a couple days ago that they bled 900 million dollars on 1.2 billion invested this year?

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Judakel posted:

Here's hoping they don't allow for that to happen.
my man, this is how the stock market works. look at CalPers, poo poo is just a dumping grounds for failing and questional assets to ensure the uber-rich can extract all da profits quickly and early with insider trading circle jerks and everything. it's a feature, not a bug.

the only reason people don't notice is because we're in NUMBERS GO UP phase still, so it looks like they're still carrying along just fine, but once poo poo starts receeding, oh boy! can't wait for everyones retirement, especially many public pension funds, to go tits up with cries over lack of funds and then cuts and all that good stuff.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Of those 55 and older, 48 percent had nothing put away in a 401(k)-style defined contribution plan or an individual retirement account, according to a GAO estimate for 2016 that was released Tuesday.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm not at all convinced that the economy is in anyway tethered to reality and that traditional indicators still function as indicators.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I'm not at all convinced that the economy is in anyway tethered to reality and that traditional indicators still function as indicators.

you're right

its one of those things where the economy is often a self-fulfilling prophecy

if you say things are bad then things will get bad, so why would anyone ever say its bad? instead just relentless act as though things are great until they drag you from your burning home and guillotine you in the street. your last words will be, "what's the big deal? everything's going great!"

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Baby boomers are hosed after all?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RaySmuckles posted:

you're right

its one of those things where the economy is often a self-fulfilling prophecy

if you say things are bad then things will get bad, so why would anyone ever say its bad? instead just relentless act as though things are great until they drag you from your burning home and guillotine you in the street. your last words will be, "what's the big deal? everything's going great!"

I saw a talk from Yanis Varoufakis where he said about the same thing:

if the weatherman says it's going to rain tomorrow, whether they're right or wrong, informed or uninformed, has no bearing on the actual outcome of the weather, but if an economist says we're heading for a recession tomorrow, simply saying that we will is going to influence the behavior of the economy, because the economy is run by people, and they can and will react to what the economist said

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

the economy has never been about reality, it's the story the rich tell the poor to solidify their position as the oppressors.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Why have treasury yields trended downward since the early 80s?

I'm not asking about why the 1-year bonds are now yielding more than the 10-year bonds. I understand that part.

Is it just that other investments, such as stocks, are increasingly sucking up all the money from investors who are willing to take on risk?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Radirot posted:

Baby boomers are hosed after all?

the post you quoted should have been evidence enough that thinking in such crude generational terms is dumb. but, since you still made that post, i'll spell it out for you: generational analysis, simpliciter, is hokum.

some baby boomers are doing extremely well, many are not; the same can be said about the members of every other age group. whether one is hosed or not isn't, primarily, a function of their generation, however that's defined.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Finicums Wake posted:

the post you quoted should have been evidence enough that thinking in such crude generational terms is dumb. but, since you still made that post, i'll spell it out for you: generational analysis, simpliciter, is hokum.

some baby boomers are doing extremely well, many are not; the same can be said about the members of every other age group. whether one is hosed or not isn't, primarily, a function of their generation, however that's defined.

but pitting groups against each other is just so convenient

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

redleader posted:

but pitting groups against each other is just so convenient

this, unironically, when the groups are workers and capitalists

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Boomers own 80% of the wealth in the US and the effects of how that's transferred when they die are going to be something.

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

Knight posted:

Boomers own 80% of the wealth in the US and the effects of how that's transferred when they die are going to be something.

I bet a lot of it is going to be sucked up into nursing homes.

or it’s tied up in the house that won’t sell for as much as they thought bc it’s a 3000ft mansion in the middle of nowhere or climate change wrecked it

or it’s in stocks that have collapsed

so many way the boomer legacy can be destroyed for their children (unless they are rich)

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Knight posted:

it's extremely unevenly distributed, was my point

edit: also it's insane, to me, that the estate tax doesn't ramp up to 100%. this is a good thing to bring up any time a conservative tells you they support EqUaLiTy Of OpPoRtUnItY

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 29, 2019

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Knight posted:

this is why we need private health insurance, to absorb all their resources before it can pass to their lovely kids

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yoshi Wins posted:

Why have treasury yields trended downward since the early 80s?

I'm not asking about why the 1-year bonds are now yielding more than the 10-year bonds. I understand that part.

Is it just that other investments, such as stocks, are increasingly sucking up all the money from investors who are willing to take on risk?

Financialization means more and more money looking for investments, and more demand means prices go up. Since bonds are sold as "pay X now for $1000 (or however much) later," X going up means the yield goes down.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lokar posted:

I bet a lot of it is going to be sucked up into nursing homes.

or it’s tied up in the house that won’t sell for as much as they thought bc it’s a 3000ft mansion in the middle of nowhere or climate change wrecked it

or it’s in stocks that have collapsed

so many way the boomer legacy can be destroyed for their children (unless they are rich)
nursing homes are even capitalized these days in real-estate investment trusts.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
millennial strategy: collectively buy nursing home REITs and then shove the old folks into a home

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
well, what's the alternative? there are so many boomers, they've gotta go somewhere. do you want them farting up all the restaurants everywhere? because that's the alternative y'all. there are only two choices.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47745431

lol, why would anyone buy a Boeing plane ever again, they’re gonna cost Tui €300 million

it’s also probably a reflection of how high level science & engineering is becoming infected by the political corruption of the US government, giving the big companies an easy ride when they should actually regulating them properly

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Aren't those the planes that don't work unless you buy the DLC?

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
You just get a jpg of the plane.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xaris posted:

my man, this is how the stock market works. look at CalPers, poo poo is just a dumping grounds for failing and questional assets to ensure the uber-rich can extract all da profits quickly and early with insider trading circle jerks and everything. it's a feature, not a bug.

the only reason people don't notice is because we're in NUMBERS GO UP phase still, so it looks like they're still carrying along just fine, but once poo poo starts receeding, oh boy! can't wait for everyones retirement, especially many public pension funds, to go tits up with cries over lack of funds and then cuts and all that good stuff.

lol, retirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The best part of the Boeing thing is that this happening because an insider was put in charge of the regulating agency is legitimately something that would've happened no matter who won between Trump and Clinton