Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

That TV spot stuns even on a phone screen.

Don't read the leaks (nothing in the trailers contradicts them, bummer I lacked self control)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm going to see this in IMAX and get such a splitting headache I throw up and it's going to be great.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Just go whole hog and find one of those D-Box theaters. Might as well let Godzilla murder you at the height of ecstasy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ror posted:

Just go whole hog and find one of those D-Box theaters. Might as well let Godzilla murder you at the height of ecstasy.

This is my explicit plan.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
If your movie ticket isn't +$35 you're disrespecting the king

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shneak posted:

If your movie ticket isn't +$35 you're disrespecting the king

So give back to King Caesar what is King Caesar’s, and to Godzilla what is Godzilla’s.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Schwarzwald posted:

So give back to MOTHERFUCKING KING GHIDORAH what is MOTHERFUCKING KING GHIDORAH's, and to Godzilla what is Godzilla’s.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am so hyped from that footage but Mothra:ohdear:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Mothra is very strong! Have faith.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It may be unscientific, but we can ask the fairies to help.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That was my reaction. But it's more or less what she's there for, isn't it? That's her "thing".

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Good luck with that dude. I'll never grow tired of human beings using small arms to fight gargantuan monsters from Hell.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It's still weird to me to see the monsters move like animals instead of all stiff like they did when they were people in rubber monster suits.

I mean it looks cool but I'm so used to ghidorahs heads being all wiggly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope we get some little nods to their old movements.

Can I get a little hat wobble?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Same :ohdear:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This is supposed to get a new rendition in King of the Monsters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgp5Qv1GAaQ

Grown rear end men will cry over a giant glowing moth in 2019. :unsmith:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

It'll be really weird if, with all of the stuff about ecoterrorism, Revelations, and now literal allusions to the Exorcist, that the low key oppositional reading to the movie is that King Ghidorah represents the holy trinity and that Godzilla is actually the true villain/anti-Christ.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're going PRETTY hard on the Ghidorah Is Satan angle

as they should

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

She's a phoenix, it's what she do.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The cool thing about Mothra is that there's always another egg or larvae somewhere!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Good luck with that dude. I'll never grow tired of human beings using small arms to fight gargantuan monsters from Hell.

drat rodan looks sweet.

I remember an ongoing debate in the fandom during the 00s on whether CGI is "true" to kaiju. The purists said no. I guess they wanted costumes forever.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I remember an ongoing debate in the fandom during the 00s on whether CGI is "true" to kaiju. The purists said no. I guess they wanted costumes forever.

Which is funny when you consider that if Tsuburaya had ever gotten the time and budget he wanted all of the Toho kaiju would've been stop motion.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Has any kaiju movie ever used CGI just for the destruction? Like, the monster is suitmation on a miniature set, but the buildings it stomps on are CGI?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Splint Chesthair posted:

Has any kaiju movie ever used CGI just for the destruction? Like, the monster is suitmation on a miniature set, but the buildings it stomps on are CGI?

There must be a VR game like this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Reminds me of Del Toro talking about the design of the kaiju in Pacific Rim. One of his specific rules for the kaiju was that they had to look like a guy in a suit could play one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Reminds me of Del Toro talking about the design of the kaiju in Pacific Rim. One of his specific rules for the kaiju was that they had to look like a guy in a suit could play one.

I now desperately want a directors cut in which they redo the fights with jaeger and kaiju suits in low budget sets. Leave the heavy VFX pilot shots in.

Ror posted:

I hope they update the IMAX Godzilla countdown.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 29, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

I haven't seen Pacific Rim, but I thought the MUTOs in G14 nailed this feel pretty well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Splint Chesthair posted:

Sort of.

Shin Godzilla would be the closest, as they primarily used a giant puppet animatronic with CGI touch ups

Ultraman the Next kind of did what you're asking- in that movie, the monsters were done with practical effects, but digitally placed in the 'real' city, to make it look more realistic. It actually looks pretty drat good.

The main thing is that a lot of people who were against CGI monsters, were against them coming from Japan primarily. Because Japan's CGI is...not great. Even with Shin, it's REAL obvious when they're using CGI VS the practical effects. It's not as bad as it used to be though.

And Tsuburaya would have 100% used CGI if it had been available to him at the time. The man was a master of special effects and used literally everything he could to make something look right.

Puppets, suits, stop motion, actual animation, live animals, whatever worked.

He would have been ecstatic about modern special effects and all of the possibilities that could be had with them

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Burkion posted:

They're going PRETTY hard on the Ghidorah Is Satan angle

as they should

Godzilla literally sleeps in the subterranean ruins of a pagan city that worshipped Pazuzu.

Like, at the very least the conflict of the film is a Manichaen clash between two trinities, so the question really becomes which trinity is actually a unified force that represents a fundamental, revolutionary re-ordering of society and its values, and which one is just a proxy for managing the status quo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

Godzilla literally sleeps in the subterranean ruins of a pagan city that worshipped Pazuzu.

Like, at the very least the conflict of the film is a Manichaen clash between two trinities, so the question really becomes which trinity is actually a unified force that represents a fundamental, revolutionary re-ordering of society and its values, and which one is just a proxy for managing the status quo.

See, I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

The status quo isn't something that any of these guys give a poo poo about. You're making humanity too important to them.

Keep in mind, Godzilla brings hurricanes when he just makes landfall. He wiped out more of that one Hawaiian island than the Male Muto did.

The conflict between Rodan, Mothra and Godzilla VS Ghidorah isn't one of status quo VS reordering of society

It's one of 'total destruction' and 'coexistence'

Ghidorah actively hates things that are not him. He is seeking to raze the Earth and all who live on it and doesn't give a poo poo about what it does to the balance of nature. Godzilla is a force for the Earth itself, to keep the balance of the planet and ensure it keeps going. They go beyond Good and Evil. With Godzilla, humanity can survive but would be forced to adapt.

Ghidorah would wipe away humanity and all other living things.

It's kind of like the Mutos VS Godzilla- the MUTOS were a danger to nature itself if they had been allowed to breed and spread. Ghidorah is just more malicious in his destruction of nature itself.

Mothra so far seems to be the only actually benevolent entity.

Godzilla brings hurricanes

Rodan creates tornadoes

Ghidorah IS the storm

Mothra seems to just be the light

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I haven't seen Pacific Rim, but I thought the MUTOs in G14 nailed this feel pretty well.

Pacific Rim did it pretty well, and its kaiju designs are quite solid. The three kaiju you spend the most time with, Knifehead, Leatherback, and Otachi, all fit the mold pretty well - Leatherback in particular is basically just a giant gorilla. Otachi would be a little harder with her prehensile tail, but I did notice that the moment Otachi's wings come out she stops using one set of her arms to keep the quadrupedal air.

The other kaiju are also pretty easy: Onibaba and Skunner fit easily into 'guy in a suit' looks, Slattern's a generic quadruped.

Aside from Otachi's prehensile tail, the only one that would give me pause is Ryujin because of the way he moves. He's a kaiju-sized crocodile and his movements are very clearly based on one as he swims. I don't know how easy that would be for a human to replicate.

As for Uprising... I have no memory of any kaiju in that movie. I think the big one was a quadruped in the advertising?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Burkion posted:

See, I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

The status quo isn't something that any of these guys give a poo poo about. You're making humanity too important to them.

Keep in mind, Godzilla brings hurricanes when he just makes landfall. He wiped out more of that one Hawaiian island than the Male Muto did.

The conflict between Rodan, Mothra and Godzilla VS Ghidorah isn't one of status quo VS reordering of society

It's one of 'total destruction' and 'coexistence'

Ghidorah actively hates things that are not him. He is seeking to raze the Earth and all who live on it and doesn't give a poo poo about what it does to the balance of nature. Godzilla is a force for the Earth itself, to keep the balance of the planet and ensure it keeps going. They go beyond Good and Evil. With Godzilla, humanity can survive but would be forced to adapt.

Ghidorah would wipe away humanity and all other living things.

It's kind of like the Mutos VS Godzilla- the MUTOS were a danger to nature itself if they had been allowed to breed and spread. Ghidorah is just more malicious in his destruction of nature itself.

Mothra so far seems to be the only actually benevolent entity.

Godzilla brings hurricanes

Rodan creates tornadoes

Ghidorah IS the storm

Mothra seems to just be the light

The mutos were just animals. How were they dangerous to “nature itself”

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

The mutos were just animals. How were they dangerous to “nature itself”

Overbreeding and overrunning the ecosystem without any natural predators around to keep them in check.

Like any invasive species, they would have done a lot of harm without meaning to. This is why I specified Ghidorah was actively malicious, compared to them.

There's also a very real subtext of Godzilla getting revenge on the MUTOs for what they did to his kind ages ago, if you want to play that angle. Godzilla basically doesn't give a poo poo about human society, because society rises and falls all the time. He rests on the bones of one old civilization, and should the humans gently caress themselves over he'll rest on their bones as well.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Burkion posted:

Overbreeding and overrunning the ecosystem without any natural predators around to keep them in check.

Like any invasive species, they would have done a lot of harm without meaning to. This is why I specified Ghidorah was actively malicious, compared to them.

There's also a very real subtext of Godzilla getting revenge on the MUTOs for what they did to his kind ages ago, if you want to play that angle. Godzilla basically doesn't give a poo poo about human society, because society rises and falls all the time. He rests on the bones of one old civilization, and should the humans gently caress themselves over he'll rest on their bones as well.

I’m not sure what if any harm they can really do. We have no evidence they eat anything but radiation. In any case invasive species are not a danger to nature/earth, they just change local ecosystems that humans fetishize as static in an ahistorical way

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Ultraman the Next kind of did what you're asking- in that movie, the monsters were done with practical effects, but digitally placed in the 'real' city, to make it look more realistic. It actually looks pretty drat good.

That sounds cool, I'll have to check that out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ultraman the Next is really interesting because it basically works as a stand alone movie, and also is basically the template for what a proper 'Hollywood' Ultraman film should probably be.

I love it a whole bunch but it doesn't tend to get talked about much because it's a prequel to (the equally amazing) Ultraman Nexus and people get caught up on that and think that they'd have to watch the show after, when the two barely have anything to do with one another until way later.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's pretty much official that Godzilla is a balancing force in Legendary's setting.
https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1111689478018600962

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Ultraman the Next's opening sequence is one of my favorites in any movie. Also that main theme is baller as hell.

Speculation: I'm getting the vibe that by the end of this movie, Legendary is going to go real real hard into a Godzilla heel-turn. Lines like (Incoming trailer dialogue spoilers) "Good thing he's on our side." and "We've got to free Godzilla." seem to point to a plot where mankind overreaches and Godzilla, likely the last of the core monster cast left alive, and possibly exploited by some of these tiny bastards, and absolutely exhausted and enraged after whatever the gently caress happens with Ghidorah finally runs its course decides "gently caress IT. THEY HAVE RABIES. KILL 'EM ALL."

Which, I mean, yeah. If we're going to do Godzilla vs Kong, makes sense. Godzilla's got the dramatic range to be the straight up villain. Kong, at his most villainous, never really gets past the mold of "giant and violent, but ultimately sympathetic even-while-murdering-dozens-of-literal-US-war-veterans animal."

Fuckin' babyface-rear end ape. Glue a bunch of golf balls to John Cena and give him the Andy Serkis treatment. Kong's going to win and I'm going to loving hate it but I'll still give the movie all of my money and watch it at least once a month for the rest of my life.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I’m still holding out hope that it ends up being Godzilla & Kong VS Mechagodzilla. Humanity gets the impression we need a more controllable Godzilla of our own after the events of King of All Monsters, and the big bois have to right our wrongs. They should have a tussle when they first meet but I don’t need to know who “wins” :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Look out California!!

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1111734804360249344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

He’s coming to punish us for our liberal paradise, and to start an early oscars ground-game.