Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I actually think Maria didn't make it and Carol will meet Adult Monica. Give her some more personal stakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maria died in Iraq

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't think MJ is going to come into play in Endgame so who cares.

Like there's no way they're going to just go on with half the universe dead after this movie lmao, get real.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

I don't really read much Marvel so I don't have a clue who Annihilus is but if you want to do big stuff why not go for Galactus.

In the big storyline that ultimately created the Guardians of the Galaxy, Annihilus had Thanos as one of his underlings and used Galactus as a weapon against his will. When used right, he's a major universal threat.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Galactus is also not really a villain qua villain. He's more of a natural disaster that can talk.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I would love to see Galactus but the problem I have is, what threat can he pose over a man with a MacGuffin that allows him to do anything he wants? It really won't work in the next few years.

I'd be all down for a Silver Surfer/FF/GotG run that includes Galactus and has him as a non-threatening presence away off in a distant corner of the galaxy for a few movies. And I mean 28' tall purple suit Galactus with square pupils.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gavok posted:

In the big storyline that ultimately created the Guardians of the Galaxy, Annihilus had Thanos as one of his underlings and used Galactus as a weapon against his will. When used right, he's a major universal threat.

Kinda shot himself on the foot with the Galactus thing, to be fair.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So there was a lot of talk here the other day about Age of Ultron and it had me thinking about how while I consider it one of the lesser MCU movies, I dig it as a fixture of the whole MCU expanded narrative. For one, it's probably the best movie at dedicating chunks of its time to world building for its sequels. Iron Man 2, BvS, Mummy and ASM2 are infamous for this, but Age of Ultron does a decent job juggling all this stuff that does indeed pay off in the years that follow. In different ways, it sets up Civil War, Black Panther, Ragnarok and Infinity War. Even that whole, "You killed us all!" Thor vision works better in retrospect because of how Ragnarok handled it.

Age of Ultron is like the opposite of Avengers 1. The first movie cones in the continuity stuff before it while the other one cones outward. That leaves the stuff in-between as looking like a weird no man's land. That's what made me realize why Ultron works so well as a villain, especially as an evil offshoot of Iron Man. He's more than just a placeholder bad guy because they want to wait a few more years for Thanos. He is the personification of the underlying threat in Phase 2.

Phase 1 is about introducing the Avengers and eventually bringing them together. Phase 3 is about chaos heralding the coming of Thanos, who is such a big deal that they need two movies to deal with him, plus a flashback interlude. So what's Phase 2 all about? Order and happiness with the ignorance that there's something terrible coming. It's basically both end credits scenes from Avengers. Thanos is out there while our heroes are casually eating lunch.

All things considered, Phase 2 shows the Avengers successfully working their way towards peace. Everyone seems to be doing pretty great by the time Age of Ultron happens. Stark is semi-retired, Cap burned down Hydra and then got his friends to help destroy what's left, Thor has a fairy tale romance, Banner has passable control over the Hulk, Black Widow seems to be making peace with her past and Hawkeye's secretly living the best life. Even Nick Fury's new status quo has a bit of liberation to it. They throw a party because all their problems are solved. All the while, there are Infinity Stones in play and Guardians of the Galaxy gives us a clearer look at what's at stake.

We know relatively little about Thanos during this time, but we know more than the Avengers. If anything, this was Thor's ball to drop, since he really should have looked deeper into Loki's failed plot (Heimdall would have been pretty helpful). The only one who knows something is off is the futurist Tony Stark and it isn't overt. It's more of a nagging feeling, exposed and egged on by Scarlet Witch. He's right to feel the need to do something, but he fucks it up so hard due to his personal flaws and we end up with a parody of Stark's selfish attempt to help humanity. Stark was so spooked by Thanos' shadow that he fumbled like an idiot and ruined everything, getting the ball rolling for Phase 3.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It'd be rather difficult doing a Galactus storyline that isn't just Dormammu again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fangz posted:

It'd be rather difficult doing a Galactus storyline that isn't just Dormammu again.

One way it could work is if they do the Ultimate Alliance approach: in order to defeat the actual bad guy or world threat, the Avengers need to travel to X planet to obtain an object that can save them. One tiny problem, though: the planet is in the process of being consumed by Galactus. He’s introduced and shown to be a clear dangerous being, but he’s not (currently) a threat to Earth.

Then you do the sequel hook where whatever you took is the reason Galactus was there in the first place. Galen is a really cool character as a survivor of the previous universe and now a universal constant. He’d be a great addition to the cosmic MCU but yeah I think he’d better off not being the villain of the story.

Just give me a badass Surfer and big G, Marvel. That’s all I want

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 29, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I love that first page. Surfer sitting there like "don't loving talk down to me, you rear end in a top hat. Oh btw my boss is here..."

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
The MCU introductory movie for the Fantastic Four should be Marvel Zombies. It's also a good way to get the mutants in there. "Oh yeah, this dimension has these things called mutants and they're zombies too and exceptionally dangerous."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should do an MCU Ghost Rider. They've done it in Agents of Shield but there are multiple riders so the movie wouldn't have to reference that if they didn't want to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I agree. Nicolas Cage would be a huge get for the MCU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked Age of Ultron initially and repeat viewings have only made me like it more. It has problems that can't be ignored, but I still find it charming. I prefer its Avengers vs 10000 Mooks to the one from the first Avengers movie. Hawkeye's lines in the final act are very memorable to me. Ultron isn't the best villain, but the twins both worked as characters for me. The Vision is pretty much a highlight from start to finish. I find his final conversation with Ultron meaningful. It's one of my favorite scenes in the MCU. I'll never not laugh at Thor's mini panic attack when Steve budges Mjolnir.

The big failure is whatever Joss Whedon seems to think Black Widow is supposed to be as a character from top to bottom.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
A tortured Whedon heroine, he thinks she's supposed to be like the main characters from just about everything he's ever done.

I for one(emphasis on one) prefer Age of Ultron to the first Avengers. Not by a wide margin but I'd rather rewatch AoU, it's got the twins, Klaw, Hulk vs Veronica, lifting the hammer, like 4 or 5 great Hawkeye moments, Vision stuff. The first one has a couple jokes, Tony flying a nuke into space, and that Hulk reveal but nothing else really stands out to me.

I recognize what Avengers represents in the greater scheme of things and back when I saw it in the theater it blew me away but nowadays it doesn't stand up to anything in phase 3.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I really like Vision and I've always been disappointed in the movie utilization of him, especially his phasing in fights.

I hope the TV show has a good budget and they can actually use him up to his full potential.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hated the Vision until Bettany took the role.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bettany is really good but the Vision role doesn't give him a lot to chew on. Though he does get the single best line in AoU, so there's that. I do like Vision because I read Tom King's series on him from a few years back--that was a fantastic run that I should really go back and finish.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AoU certainly has some top tier moments, the lift-the-hammer scene is a top Five MCU scene and they way they pay that off with Vision is a top Five moment. It's just got too many missteps imo.

Also if the next big MCU villian isn't Doctor loving Doom they are fools.

Arist posted:

he does get the single best line in AoU,

Which?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mikeraskol posted:

I really like Vision and I've always been disappointed in the movie utilization of him, especially his phasing in fights.

I hope the TV show has a good budget and they can actually use him up to his full potential.

I think Vision was in the same trap that Thor was kind of in and I fear Carol will fall into: he's just too powerful to be a big part of the action climax when you also need the low-tier heroes pulling their weight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

AoU certainly has some top tier moments, the lift-the-hammer scene is a top Five MCU scene and they way they pay that off with Vision is a top Five moment. It's just got too many missteps imo.

Also if the next big MCU villian isn't Doctor loving Doom they are fools.

Which?

In the last scene with the final Ultron, Ultron calls him naive or something and he replies, "Well... I was born yesterday."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

In the last scene with the final Ultron, Ultron calls him naive or something and he replies, "Well... I was born yesterday."

And he loving SLAYS that line. I love it. And he's so much fun in CW.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:catstare:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

#Thanosmarketingpush is better, imo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love the internet sometimes

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Memes were a mistake.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

As long as they use the Spirit of Vengeance design. I loved the charred skull look.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sgt. Politeness posted:

A tortured Whedon heroine, he thinks she's supposed to be like the main characters from just about everything he's ever done.

I've seen Buffy. I love Buffy. He did not write Nat like he did Buffy.

Arist posted:

Yep. Amazing line.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

I've seen Buffy. I love Buffy. He did not write Nat like he did Buffy.

He toys with this in The Avengers, with the scene between her and Loki where it seems like Nat’s tough girl facade breaks, revealing the scared, vulnerable girl inside. But that’s a ploy, of course.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's...not really all that Buffy either. She's not some tactical actress, she doesn't play soft girl to get anyone's guard down.

Whedon is an easy mark right now and I'm certainly far less inclined to stan for him than I may have been in years past, but this weird stereotype that he writes all his leads the same, or, weirder, that he writes all his female characters the same has literally never been true.

You might make a strong point that his approach towards characterization has been very similar and repetitive, but that's kind of a different thing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

That's...not really all that Buffy either. She's not some tactical actress, she doesn't play soft girl to get anyone's guard down.

Buffy doesn’t play soft, but the common conception of Whedon’s female protagonists is that they’re ostensibly strong, but with a hidden core of vulnerability. Nat plays at this in The Avengers, but it’s just an act.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

As long as they use the Spirit of Vengeance design. I loved the charred skull look.

Yeah, I liked the dirty look they were going for with that movie. Especially the part where they made it look like his flames were actually burning the clothes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My problem with Age of Ultron (other than the fact that the 'age' lasts about a week) is that he never once seriously threatens the heroes. He gloats that he wanted all the heroes together vs all his drones and 60 seconds later he's getting his face melted off by less than half the team.

I remember being hyped when they released this promo art showing an endless tide of robots ready to swallow up the team

Instead the Ultron army looks like this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl that Josh brolin pic is pretty lol

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

My problem with Age of Ultron (other than the fact that the 'age' lasts about a week) is that he never once seriously threatens the heroes. He gloats that he wanted all the heroes together vs all his drones and 60 seconds later he's getting his face melted off by less than half the team.

I remember being hyped when they released this promo art showing an endless tide of robots ready to swallow up the team

Instead the Ultron army looks like this.

Now this has me wondering how much more effectively threatening the drone swarm would have seemed if it had been portrayed in a manner closer to the seething zombie mass in World War Z

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The problem with Ultron is that the setup demands that Ultron is strictly less dangerous than the Chtauri in the Avengers, which have to be defeated by sending a nuke and sealing the portal, Vs Ultron where the heroes in the end are just trying to beat the robots up, while stopping Ultron from doing a thing.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Arist posted:

Which is funny, because people complain a lot about Whedon in AoU (which is fair because it ultimately is his movie and it absolutely is extremely flawed) but that line, along with the hammer rigamarole and its payoff, is absolutely peak-Whedon. It's mildly but not insightfully existentialist, it's a world-building moment disguised as a character beat, and it pays off the final antagonist in an anti-climactic fashion with a quip. It could not be more Whedon without turning Vision into a barefoot young girl*.

But it loving kills, because it's a great line.

*Unfortunately, we had to wait a few years for James Cameron to get to that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing that helped AoU for me was it coming after Man of Steel and it devoted a lot of time (even too much, if you like) to showing how they handled rescuing civilians caught in the crossfire. Avengers had it too, but this was even more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

One thing that helped AoU for me was it coming after Man of Steel and it devoted a lot of time (even too much, if you like) to showing how they handled rescuing civilians caught in the crossfire. Avengers had it too, but this was even more so.

Civil War is still my favourite take on the whole "civilian casualties" thing. I get a laugh every time someone complains about how improbably low the death tolls are, as if that isn't entirely the point of the film.