Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Yesterday I attended a wedding for a clownspider and a miner who immediately afterward went to QM and held some other clownspider eggs for ransom so she’d give him her money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

honestly it's almost boring. I once murdered 10-15 people in plain sight via delimbing by explaining to every passerby and security officer that their legs were unwell.

when confiscating shoes doesn't go far enough

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It’s often impossible to tell the difference between a surgeon who is trying to kill you and one who is genuinely trying to save you but doesn’t know how to use the interface very well.

Meanwhile I keep getting impatient patients who demand I perform surgery NOW instead of waiting for the morphine to kick in. You know this is gonna hurt, right?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

Meanwhile I keep getting impatient patients who demand I perform surgery NOW instead of waiting for the morphine to kick in. You know this is gonna hurt, right?

It's even worse when they think that they're justified in forcibly dragging you away from the critical patient you're in the middle of treating, just because you didn't put it on pause to explain to them at length that no, treating their stabilized wounds will have to wait.

I think averaged at least one incident per round when I was doctoring on CM where I would have been justified in forcibly sedating some obnoxious marine, if not outright shooting them in the head.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slashrat posted:

It's even worse when they think that they're justified in forcibly dragging you away from the critical patient you're in the middle of treating, just because you didn't put it on pause to explain to them at length that no, treating their stabilized wounds will have to wait.

I think averaged at least one incident per round when I was doctoring on CM where I would have been justified in forcibly sedating some obnoxious marine, if not outright shooting them in the head.

Medical needs a spray bottle of something that knocks you out fast. Both for immediate use on trauma cases, and for de-escalating confrontations with idiots. Bonus points since it'll be abusable by anyone with the antag role.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Medical needs a spray bottle of something that knocks you out fast. Both for immediate use on trauma cases, and for de-escalating confrontations with idiots. Bonus points since it'll be abusable by anyone with the antag role.

Speaking as someone who plays doctor a lot, having an off switch for obnoxious crew members would be amazing. Though considering how things go on this station, if it was in spray form, you’d be just as likely to get yourself instead.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Blastinus posted:

Speaking as someone who plays doctor a lot, having an off switch for obnoxious crew members would be amazing. Though considering how things go on this station, if it was in spray form, you’d be just as likely to get yourself instead.

Isn’t that what blasting someone’s rear end with haldol and morphine is for?

E: yeah and the MD gets tranquilizer darts.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 28, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The medical director gets a tranq rifle, right?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Slashrat posted:

you can get soporific injectors from the med vendors for this reason

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

botany seems like a weird place to hold a trial but sure

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Blastinus posted:

Thats by design, and a feature of the product instead of a bug. Ask yourself which solution is more SS13-y, a simple star trek injector of knockout juice, or a Mr. Squirts (tm) brand spray bottle full of some hilarious combination of muscle relaxants, narcotics, and bee spit?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There is nothing that Heisenbee honey cannot solve.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So I came back tonight after not playing for... I don't even know how long. The last station I remember playing on in any detail before today was Ovary, for crying out loud.

It was a goddamn blast. I had a ton of fun, everyone was super helpful, and even the round where I got mistaken for the changeling and locked in the crew's quarters bathroom for half an hour was a good time. The one where I got killed by the changeling not so much, wasn't really enjoying getting carted around in the hivemind. But that's whatever, the rest of them were amazing.

It's six in the loving morning. I'm sure glad I don't have work tomorrow.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

cock hero flux posted:

A guy got BE'd because he chose Executive Officer in his first ever round. He put on a suit of armour and the Captain told him to take it off. When he asked him how to take armour off the Captain just pulled his revolver and shot him in the face.

Sounds like CM needs TG's time limits on senior roles.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Is the best way to get into this still picking a non-essential role and jumping in with a wiki page open? I love the stories and games like this in general but I've always been intimidated by the idea of learning how to play in a live multiplayer environment

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

CainsDescendant posted:

Is the best way to get into this still picking a non-essential role and jumping in with a wiki page open? I love the stories and games like this in general but I've always been intimidated by the idea of learning how to play in a live multiplayer environment

Playing is the only way to learn. And before you move all the jobs to unwanted list, Captain is 100% a non essential role.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Being captain is like being a Staff Assistant with an all-access pass and a target on your back.

So yeah make that your preferred role immediately. Good luck!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Captain's role is to dump all the station funds into their card, then spend it all on slots. Departments that don't complain get their funds back threefold (unless the Captain gets kneecapped by very angry geneticists).

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Externally applying space lube should make you ungrabbable and handcuffs slip right off with only a minor chance of sliding right the gently caress into space through a window

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Externally applying space lube should make you ungrabbable and handcuffs slip right off with only a minor chance of sliding right the gently caress into space through a window

What does it do when applied... internally?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

Being captain is like being a Staff Assistant with an all-access pass and a target on your back.

So yeah make that your preferred role immediately. Good luck!

one of the most fun roles to play is a Captain who is both really good at the game as a player and a completely inept idiot at whatever you've chosen to do that day

(I mean I'm a bad player but I imagine it's fun)

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

I started by picking a role, and then learning something that role does. For example, I never learned how to do anything other than grow weed and smoke it as a Botanist. It didn't matter though, because after I got competent at that, I would piss off and go mess around with stuff. Usually, I would beg a pair of gloves from Mechanics and go explore. This eventually gave me a core of things that I could do every round as any role. Hack the vending machines/fabricators, make basic healing chems, send ore back to wherever it goes, remove butts/brains/limbs, cook some foods, break into EVA and get lost in space, etc. Add some mild roleplaying in and you're set.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm observing a round and things are HAPPENING, I have no idea what I'm looking at

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainsDescendant posted:

I'm observing a round and things are HAPPENING, I have no idea what I'm looking at

Here are the important details you need to know to understand a round of SS13;

*fart

*scream

*fart

*fart

*fart

*scream

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

madeintaipei posted:

What does it do when applied... internally?

LUBRICATES

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

one of the most fun roles to play is a Captain who is both really good at the game as a player and a completely inept idiot at whatever you've chosen to do that day

(I mean I'm a bad player but I imagine it's fun)

as captain fun naturally comes to you anyway, usually in the form of some kind of space criminal howling for your blood

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

So, could you make a literal man-cannon, i.e. the man is the cannon? How well does SS13 model the GI tract.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The captains only duty is to keep the spare ID safe and stop the hop from making more captains. There's only room for one green moron on the ship and the staff need to respect this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The real way to be a good HoP is to encourage bribery and theft. Namely the latter to achieve the former coming into your pockets. Try tell people to just bring you "something interesting", rather than cash, in exchange for access to an extra department. You will be very surprised with what players will bring you with that vague a request.

Or make them fill out a written form to request access while pointing at a blank sheaf of paper and pens. See what they'll write for you to try and appease you.

It's a good role to try and put other players on the spot and make them improvise.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I played my first game in probably 5 years, spent 30 minutes as a waiter figuring out how to pour shots (which were, without fail, immediately thrown at the wall by some passing pedestrian) then tried to escape a radiation wave by hiding in a clubhouse and slowly dying, cold and alone, from radiation sickness.

I had both a toxins syringe and a revolver with me but couldn't figure out how to use either on myself.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

So, could you make a literal man-cannon, i.e. the man is the cannon? How well does SS13 model the GI tract.

I am now imaging a syndie in disguise sneak into engineering and fart out 5 other syndies in full combat gear.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Pleads posted:

I played my first game in probably 5 years, spent 30 minutes as a waiter figuring out how to pour shots (which were, without fail, immediately thrown at the wall by some passing pedestrian) then tried to escape a radiation wave by hiding in a clubhouse and slowly dying, cold and alone, from radiation sickness.

I had both a toxins syringe and a revolver with me but couldn't figure out how to use either on myself.

have syringe in hand, click on yourself. If it says DRAW click on the word DRAW so it turns into INJECT. Unless you have a weird bloodtype and want to gently caress people over by sharing needles.

You don't want to use the russian revolver outside of roleplay (and even then not if you want to be revived) click on the gun to randomise the chamber, click on anything to play a game.

pseudo-edit: why don't you know how to use the revolver having played before?

quote:

The captains only duty is to keep the spare ID safe and stop the hop from making more captains. There's only room for one green moron on the ship and the staff need to respect this.

the admins did this a few years back during an adminbus round, the captains started flashing their IDs all over and wouldn't stop until the badmins bombed the bridge

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im gonna play some space station right now and build some machines that just skirt the line of traitorously dangerous

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SugarAddict posted:

I am now imaging a syndie in disguise sneak into engineering and fart out 5 other syndies in full combat gear.

So, funny story. The deep fryer lets you, or at least used to let you deep fry anything. And you used to be able to pump yourself chock full of whatever chemicals you wanted. The net bug that this resulted in was, if you pumped yourself full of enough of the right healing chems, you could suicide next to the fryer and deep fry yourself into a piece of edible food. Another person could then eat you. Now, when that happens, the game would sort of put your player into a weird state of existing-but-not-existing, where your body didn't exist, but things could still happen to you. Like, you know, those massive amounts of healing chems bringing you back to life. Overall, this wasn't that big of a thing though, because your body didn't exist, right? So throw in another bug, where if the person that ate you had their body be destroyed, then that triggered... something that I'm honestly not still 100% sure on, which caused your living, breathing body to respawn in the other guy's place.

All of this was found out by accident over the course of several weeks, and culminated in a syndie round where the team of syndies broke into the kitchen and deep fried all but one member, who ate all of the rest of them. That lone syndie then disguised himself, hunted down the captain, got him in a room alone, and shoved a chainsaw into his own chest, gibbing him and releasing half a dozen other fully armed and armored syndicate team members like Pennywise's hosed up, meaty clown car.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Didn't a traitor fry himself, have a mindslave eat him, and win the round when the mindslave carried out his prior instructions to jab himself full of staples and then suicide on the shuttle like a human frag grenade?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Didn't a traitor fry himself, have a mindslave eat him, and win the round when the mindslave carried out his prior instructions to jab himself full of staples and then suicide on the shuttle like a human frag grenade?

That sounds familiar, yeah. I'm honestly kinda sad that this stuff was patched out, because it was almost always hilarious. I'm also surprised no one ever seemed to do a full Matryoshka-style boss fight-esque "This isn't even my Final Form :smuggo:" kinda thing. Fryermancy and jugglemancy were two of those rare, precious arts that were amazing because they were true quirks of the game engine and should never have rightfully existed, but came together in that perfect storm sort of way that made them magical to learn about.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Yeah, the fryer thing was always something that seemed to require competency and multiple people working together, so I saw it once a month at most personally.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Fryermancy needs you to really sell your deep fried ambitions to another player so they'll come with you and carry out the grotesque ritual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

So, funny story. The deep fryer lets you, or at least used to let you deep fry anything. And you used to be able to pump yourself chock full of whatever chemicals you wanted. The net bug that this resulted in was, if you pumped yourself full of enough of the right healing chems, you could suicide next to the fryer and deep fry yourself into a piece of edible food. Another person could then eat you. Now, when that happens, the game would sort of put your player into a weird state of existing-but-not-existing, where your body didn't exist, but things could still happen to you. Like, you know, those massive amounts of healing chems bringing you back to life. Overall, this wasn't that big of a thing though, because your body didn't exist, right? So throw in another bug, where if the person that ate you had their body be destroyed, then that triggered... something that I'm honestly not still 100% sure on, which caused your living, breathing body to respawn in the other guy's place.

All of this was found out by accident over the course of several weeks, and culminated in a syndie round where the team of syndies broke into the kitchen and deep fried all but one member, who ate all of the rest of them. That lone syndie then disguised himself, hunted down the captain, got him in a room alone, and shoved a chainsaw into his own chest, gibbing him and releasing half a dozen other fully armed and armored syndicate team members like Pennywise's hosed up, meaty clown car.

there was at least one round where the opposite happened, and the nuclear disk was buried seven layers of fried assistant deep