Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alkydere posted:

"hard on cars"

So, like, a teenager's Camaro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

TotalLossBrain posted:

Can confirm, but you forgot to mention the hillbilly chuds and radioactive waste.

I thought that was implied by Eastern Washington.

xzzy posted:

Central Washington gets a bad rap because of the route that I-90 takes. It's painfully boring.. flat, dry, and long. And the only thing on the other side of it is the shithole that is Spokane.

On the other hand, SR20 is gorgeous from the ocean to the border with Idaho. US-2 is a more scenic drive as well.

SE Washington is also nice but it's less of a spot you pass through and more of a destination.

I lived on the outer edge of what is currently Spokane Valley, can confirm Spokane itself as terrible in its own special way.

E: On topic, I have been driving my newish to me 97 Volvo 960 wagon around lately now that the suspension is fixed and wow everyone is a huge dick around it, always passing and cutting in when they really shoudn't. I'm not driving it any slower than any other car I own but people really want to pass it for some reason.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 28, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've noticed a lot more aggression towards/around me driving the gf's tiny rear end Toyota pickup for the last couple days. Nobody fucks with me in the van because it's huge, but this thing is basically a go-kart with a bed on it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Javid posted:

I've noticed a lot more aggression towards/around me driving the gf's tiny rear end Toyota pickup for the last couple days. Nobody fucks with me in the van because it's huge, but this thing is basically a go-kart with a bed on it.
Similarly, whenever I drive my wife's Acadia, I drive the same speed as in my car but nearly everyone wants to pass the SUV and not my sedan.

Is there any brand of car that does not attract assholes? Best I can think of is Buick, but that comes with it's own special problems.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Drive a beat up 3 series BMW, then you're the rear end in a top hat everyone expects to merge without signalling. They'll keep their distance.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Honestly, I think I get more frequently rage-passed when I'm in my same normal vehicle, but with a bike rack + bike on it. I think certain things just push the aggro button in people's subconscious minds even out of context. Small vehicle, mom-mobile, bicycle, I can easily imagine them activating the rage center in the brain of a certain kind of shitheel..

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I sometimes drive my first-gen Toyota Yaris on the German Autobahn, where it can do 100 mph pretty comfortably (eh, gas is cheaper there). But people go through great efforts to pass me, because it's a little shopping cart, it must be going slow! They're also not in a hurry to get out of the way when I'm coming up behind them in the left lane. Normally Germans are quite good at this since you regularly have people doing 150+ mph in the left lane and you don't really want to get in their way, that is a big no-no there. But they don't expect a little car to be approaching at 100 mph, I guess.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It was a bit of a surreal experience driving down the west coast in mein porsche, almost everyone that I would come up on would immediately pull to the side to let me pass, even if I had already slowed down to just cruise leisurely behind them until the passing zones. They must have been conditioned by the local pricks because I can't think of anything I was doing to warrant that response.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sometimes I pull to the right so I can hear cool sounds.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If I'm on the PCH and I'm not going faster than the car behind me, I'll almost always pull over, whether it's a Lamborghini or one of the 10 vanagons that you run into every hour

On my way to class, there's always a cop car parked on the median at the same spot on a county highway I take, and every day it always has its lights on, no matter what. In nearly a year, I've never seen a single car pulled over or an officer doing police business, it's just a car flashing red and blue for 3 hours a day
It's like they're trying to teach drivers to ignore red and blue lights, because I don't even slow down for that thing anymore

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Door Frame posted:

If I'm on the PCH and I'm not going faster than the car behind me, I'll almost always pull over, whether it's a Lamborghini or one of the 10 vanagons that you run into every hour

On my way to class, there's always a cop car parked on the median at the same spot on a county highway I take, and every day it always has its lights on, no matter what. In nearly a year, I've never seen a single car pulled over or an officer doing police business, it's just a car flashing red and blue for 3 hours a day
It's like they're trying to teach drivers to ignore red and blue lights, because I don't even slow down for that thing anymore
Oh my god, I drive HWY1 north of San Francisco a lot where there is literally no passing for 50mi in stretches and the number of goddamn people who don't know what turnouts are for is so loving annoying.
But yeah, depends on the car. No one moves over for the Mazda 2 or the Subaru wagon. I had an orange dodge challenger RT rental once and people did move over better even though that car kind of sucked on hwy1 because it was like driving a really fast sofa.

Motorcycles will never ever turn out even though 99% of them can't seem to go faster than an economy car with 100hp, stock all-seasons, and a goddamn bike on the roof. RVs are actually the best at it (with the exception of semis).

Bajaha posted:

It was a bit of a surreal experience driving down the west coast in mein porsche, almost everyone that I would come up on would immediately pull to the side to let me pass, even if I had already slowed down to just cruise leisurely behind them until the passing zones. They must have been conditioned by the local pricks because I can't think of anything I was doing to warrant that response.
If you're talking about CA-1, they're doing it because that's what you are supposed to do as the passing zones are very infrequent and often too short to pass anything moving faster than 35mph safely. They were probably local.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

The Door Frame posted:

I've never seen a single car pulled over or an officer doing police business, it's just a car flashing red and blue for 3 hours a day

Tie some balloons to it

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I had the greatest commute yesterday, I merged on to the freeway right in front of a rolling roadblock created by a state trooper. I set the cruise at 67 and slowly pulled away over the next 5 miles, with nobody in front of me. Visible traffic jam in my rear view.

My ex wife was from eastern washington. North of Spokane in redneck apocalypse bunker country. I've made the drive up I84/395/I80 dozens of times. Amazing that she turned out hyper liberal.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

xzzy posted:

Central Washington gets a bad rap because of the route that I-90 takes. It's painfully boring.. flat, dry, and long. And the only thing on the other side of it is the shithole that is Spokane.

Geologically speaking, that area is called "the scab lands" because it got abraded so drat hard by glacial lake Missoula draining a half dozen times at the end of the last ice age.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I never got more abuse than when driving my BMW. I was invisible driving the Volvos, and everyone's friendly when you're driving a quirky Citroen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I never got more abuse than when driving my BMW. I was invisible driving the Volvos, and everyone's friendly when you're driving a quirky Citroen.

Having been a professional driver, i am usually "hyper-aware" of what vehicles around me are doing, and it always amused me how much VW GTI and Subaru drivers tried to "show me up" in my BMW 540.

Although to be fair, i also spent ~20km repeatedly racing a lancer evo, torched the tires in heavy traffic to antagonize a Nissan GT-R, and tailgated an obviously cammed C6 corvette in the middle of his race against a C5 to show that power doesn't mean poo poo without traction. I'm a loving yobbo.

in conclusion, Powershift is a land of contrasts, It's a good thing he prefers driving his car that can barely spin a tire over his truck that can torch em from a 60kph roll.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You want to activate competitive mode in someone, be the front car at a stop light and drive a Prius. Bury your foot and people's "that ain't right!" attitude kicks in and they really need to beat me.

A ways back I did this to a Maserati and it was well worth it, the exhaust note coming out of it was quite nice for the two seconds I was in earshot. After that he was loving gone.

But in general it works on anyone in a vaguely luxury/performance car.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
So I've made probably around 25-30 million screws for Nissan in the past 6-7 months with an "E" on top of the screw. Anyone in the Nissan workforce can tell me where my screws are ending up? If you need pics I can post a few.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Powershift posted:

Having been a professional driver, i am usually "hyper-aware" of what vehicles around me are doing, and it always amused me how much VW GTI and Subaru drivers tried to "show me up" in my BMW 540.

People love to do this to my 89 VW Golf GL, despite it being an 8 valve with an automatic out of a diesel. I don't have to do anything and they just go for it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I had a 2013 Camaro for a few years and would constantly get guys trying to goad me into racing on the highway. Acuras, Hondas, Mustangs, BMW's, basically anything that was mildly sporty and driven by a guy in their 20's would match speed next to me and try to get me to go. It wasn't even a nice or conspicuous Camaro but I have never had people try to get me to race them in any other car I've ever owned. As far as sporty cars I've owned I've had a '90 CRX with a fart can, '91 Miata, '91 and '97 Taurus SHOs, '91 Camaro, and an '86 RX-7 and I think all of those combined couldn't touch that Camaro with offers to race. I have no idea what it was about that car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cakesmith handyman posted:

I noticed the same thing when I was dailying my E46. Even though I drove it the same way I drive anything else people seemed to treat me like more of an rear end in a top hat just because of the roundel on the front.

xzzy posted:

You want to activate competitive mode in someone, be the front car at a stop light and drive a Prius. Bury your foot and people's "that ain't right!" attitude kicks in and they really need to beat me.
I used to drive a Kia Soul, and I tend to drive fast on the highway. It's amazing how much getting passed by one of those things seems to trigger the ego of everyone driving a powerful vehicle.

I don't usually get the same reaction with the Fiesta ST, probably because it looks sporty, but guys driving modified diesel trucks still definitely decide that me taking off quickly from a light means I want to drag race them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

bigbillystyle posted:

I had a 2013 Camaro for a few years and would constantly get guys trying to goad me into racing on the highway. Acuras, Hondas, Mustangs, BMW's, basically anything that was mildly sporty and driven by a guy in their 20's would match speed next to me and try to get me to go. It wasn't even a nice or conspicuous Camaro but I have never had people try to get me to race them in any other car I've ever owned. As far as sporty cars I've owned I've had a '90 CRX with a fart can, '91 Miata, '91 and '97 Taurus SHOs, '91 Camaro, and an '86 RX-7 and I think all of those combined couldn't touch that Camaro with offers to race. I have no idea what it was about that car.

Years ago, my second used car was an old 92 Pontiac Sunbird, the 4 door with the same body as the Cavalier. I actually had a couple guys try to goad me into racing on the interstate when I was taking my then-girlfriend to the movies. Weirdest thing ever, there was absolutely nothing about the car that screamed anything other than "beater that gets me where I need to go"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Powershift posted:

Haha, I used to get the same thing in my 540, which is hilarious because I am a completely sedate and boring driver like 99.9% of the time. I used to love that I could just leisurely walk away from a lot of reasonably quick cars without even bothering to downshift from 5th. I miss that car more than any other car that I've owned.

Oddly enough never really got anyone bothering me in either of my E46s.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nm posted:

I had an orange dodge challenger RT rental once and people did move over better even though that car kind of sucked on hwy1 because it was like driving a really fast sofa.

I'm confused what's wrong with driving a fast sofa? That sounds like the dream.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Devyl posted:

So I've made probably around 25-30 million screws for Nissan in the past 6-7 months with an "E" on top of the screw. Anyone in the Nissan workforce can tell me where my screws are ending up? If you need pics I can post a few.

What does the E stand for?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm guessing if he knew that he wouldn't be asking the internet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What does the E stand for?

Letters on bolt/screw heads are generally manufacturer's marks. I assume Devyl works at a company whose name starts with E.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

StormDrain posted:

I'm confused what's wrong with driving a fast sofa? That sounds like the dream.

Highway one has (almost) no straights.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Deteriorata posted:

Letters on bolt/screw heads are generally manufacturer's marks. I assume Devyl works at a company whose name starts with E.

I'm hoping he'd be smart enough to make that connection on his own.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nm posted:

Highway one has (almost) no straights.

So the sofa part isn't referring to comfort but more that it handles like a nun carrying a mattress?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

StormDrain posted:

So the sofa part isn't referring to comfort but more that it handles like a nun carrying a mattress?

Imagine driving a 1968 Lincoln Continental at triple digit speeds. Comfort becomes... uncomfortable.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Devyl posted:

How many were returned for having a "3", "m" or "w" on them?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

I'm hoping he'd be smart enough to make that connection on his own.

poo poo I thought the same thing about all the screws at my house with t's on them.

Turns out it just means they're Philips head screws! :dadjoke:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Just caught this irony-challenged cyclist while I was out on the Ducati this morning. I road cycle, too, and this poo poo pisses me off to no end when I see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGoSbp4RjUE

I'm not sure how legible his jersey is, but it says Don't text and drive".

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Middle aged dudes in trucks who ride your rear end in bumper to bumper interstate traffic are loving insane.

Might have a video where this dude flies off the handle on me for no loving reason. He decided a perfectly normal thing to do was to pass me on the left and then get as close as possible to my car while screaming.

Just pointed my dash cam at him and suddenly he sped off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xzzy posted:

A ways back I did this to a Maserati and it was well worth it, the exhaust note coming out of it was quite nice for the two seconds I was in earshot. After that he was loving gone.

But in general it works on anyone in a vaguely luxury/performance car.

The first gen Leaf is great for this - they actually accelerate fairly well up to 50km/h and it pisses other drivers off to no end, especially guys in Rangers and Hiluxes who can't come even close to keeping up.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

dissss posted:

The first gen Leaf is great for this - they actually accelerate fairly well up to 50km/h and it pisses other drivers off to no end, especially guys in Rangers and Hiluxes who can't come even close to keeping up.

The same can be said for most cars with electric drive... People see a Leaf, Volt, Prius, etc.. and just assume they are going to limp off the line.

As a '17 Volt owner, it's fun doing it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

stevewm posted:

The same can be said for most cars with electric drive... People see a Leaf, Volt, Prius, etc.. and just assume they are going to limp off the line.

As a '17 Volt owner, it's fun doing it.

So electric owners cause more CO2 emissions.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

So electric owners cause more CO2 emissions.

i've got glorious hydro power burnouts over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

um excuse me posted:

Dickheads will be dickheads. Don't let it influence how you drive. Just get over when it's reasonable and let them be dickheads out of sight and out of your sphere of influence.

The older I get, the more this becomes my policy for handling idiots on the road.