Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

baka kaba posted:

Well I mean you said standard driver packages aren't going away so people don't need to deal with DCH, I was giving an example where they have and you do? And Intel's own advice is
Like, support for standard drivers isn't going away, so if there is an option you don't have to. And I don't think nvidia & amd are dropping their standard driver packages anytime soon.

quote:

so they seem to think it's a bit more complicated than "it's the same driver it just comes in a different package", so the average user isn't going to want to deal with whatever rolling back involves

So yeah, if you upgrade and it's all good, cool? If it's not, you might have problems. My OEM Intel graphics drivers seem to get released on a yearly basis, the last one was a month ago but the actual driver version is pretty old. If I want to just update to a newer one, I'll have to change over to a DCH version, because that's all they have now. But what if there are issues? What if it doesn't play well with Optimus or the OEM colour management software? What if rolling back ends up a nightmare, I regret even trying, and things are still messed up because I can't get everything back to the original state?

You can't use "roll back driver" feature in the device manager. You can't use "uninstall device" or any other manual method of removing the driver. You can't install the old drivers over the top of the new ones. You can remove the driver using the Windows apps & features remove program control panel, after which you can do whatever you want.

One reason for the DCH / Universal Windows Driver system is because most people can't janitor their drivers. If anyone hates & fears it, then learn to be an effective janitor.

edit: another reason is that UWD is supposed to make some separation between the base driver and the OEM specific customization, so the whole "OEM only releases one driver update a year" thing goes away.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well that's not too bad, thanks! I'll probably still wait it out but at least it's doable. Although their official advice talks about "if you need to do it call our support team and they'll decide on a case-by-case basis" which is a bit weird if it's a simple procedure, maybe there are still potential issues

But yeah my point was people will have to deal with this, even if the old driver model is still supported, because here's a major hardware provider with an extremely common driver that's moving entirely to the new model, calling the old one "legacy" and saying "you can't roll back or it'll gently caress up". So they are mandatory in an end-user sense. Whether that actually matters to most people... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Intel is also the company that declares products as end of life and then deletes all drivers for it, not even leaving any legacy ones for people stuck with old hardware.

All in the interest of "consumer safety" because they won't fix bugs in the legacy stuff anymore. Or, to be more realistic, in the interest
of laziness and maybe covering their own rear end.
I'm not saying they should keep releasing security fixes indefinitely, but I am saying they should at least keep the most recent driver that still supports the piece of hardware available behind a big disclaimer.

Them saying you can't go back from DCH because you'll gently caress it up is just a sign that they're too lazy to create a proper uninstaller.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ok I have done my due diligence trying to google this simple and (you would think) common question: the gently caress does DCH stand for?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Ok I have done my due diligence trying to google this simple and (you would think) common question: the gently caress does DCH stand for?

Microsoft posted:

Design Principles

When you write a universal driver package, there are four design principles to consider:

• Declarative ("D"): Install the driver using only declarative INF directives and do not include any co-installers, RegisterDlls, etc.
  • Componentized ("C"): Edition-specific, OEM-specific and optional customizations to the driver are separate from the base driver package, so that the base driver, which provides only core device functionality, can be targeted, flighted and serviced independently from the customizations.
  • Hardware Support Apps ("H"): Any user interface (UI) component associated with a universal driver must be packaged as a Hardware Support App (HSA) or preinstalled on the OEM device. An HSA is an optional device-specific app that is paired with a driver. The application can be a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) or a Desktop Bridge app. You must distribute and update an HSA through the Microsoft Store. For details, see Hardware Support App (HSA): Steps for Driver Developers and Hardware Support App (HSA): Steps for App Developers.
  • Universal API compliance ("U"): Binaries in the universal driver package only call APIs and DDIs that are included in UWP-based editions of Windows 10. These DDIs are marked as Universal on the corresponding documentation reference pages. INF files use only universal INF syntax.

In the documentation, we use the acronym DCHU to refer to the above principles. Below, you'll find guidance on how to make your driver package DCHU-compliant. Also check out Universal Driver Scenarios, which describes how the DCHU universal driver sample applies the DCHU design principles.

So, Declarative Componentized Hardware Support Apps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
tl,dr of this is, if I want lean NVidia drivers, and not that half a gigabyte package, I get the DCH one?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
No wonder it was hard to get an answer.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

tl,dr of this is, if I want lean NVidia drivers, and not that half a gigabyte package, I get the DCH one?
That depends on whether or not you care about your frame rate in games. I think it was at least a year ago somewhere on SA where someone said the reason GPU drivers are so huge is because game developers suck. Modern video games often have poor performance when released until AMD/ATI or NVidia release a driver which tells the GPU how to actually run the game. Just telling the OS how to use the GPU is easy, but telling EA and other game publishers the proper way to use the hardware is a lost cause, thus drivers end up being huge.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Geemer posted:

So, Declarative Componentized Hardware Support Apps.

Ah, so that's why the new Konica Minolta drivers are installing a UWP app. A UWP app that stops sysprep from running because it installs to profiles without leaving a provisioning package on the system.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Crotch Fruit posted:

That depends on whether or not you care about your frame rate in games. I think it was at least a year ago somewhere on SA where someone said the reason GPU drivers are so huge is because game developers suck. Modern video games often have poor performance when released until AMD/ATI or NVidia release a driver which tells the GPU how to actually run the game. Just telling the OS how to use the GPU is easy, but telling EA and other game publishers the proper way to use the hardware is a lost cause, thus drivers end up being huge.

DCH drivers contain such logic as well, there's no real difference in size. It's the packaging format that's different.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lambert posted:

DCH drivers contain such logic as well, there's no real difference in size. It's the packaging format that's different.
Well then I stand corrected, I just assumed if they actually were much smaller they might have cut out some of the optimizations. Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The UWP requirements do mean that some of the other crap such things as GPU and printer drivers come with will be finally tossed or at least properly refactored for the first time in a decade.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Honestly, what I really hope is that it means that when you hit uninstall, it'll actually uninstall everything.
I've got computers that are still running some Epson utility or service even though the Epson printer / scanner combo I had has been gone for years and I'm not going to reinstall Windows for just that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hipster_Doofus posted:

No wonder it was hard to get an answer.
The better name is Windows Modern Drivers which for some reason never seems to be abbreviated.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

The better name is Windows Modern Drivers which for some reason never seems to be abbreviated.

Most people don't understand why its abbreviation is "BLT".

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

This is a long shot but does anyone know of any live screen translation software? I’ve spent the past few hours trying some and nothing really works. Google’s translation app on phones where you point the camera at the screen and have it translate in real time is great but I dont want to keep holding my phone up to the screen.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I posted in here a little while back about my wake timer being hosed up after upgrading to Windows 10. My computer would go to sleep after like five minutes, even when my power settings were set to sleep after thirty minutes. I have since tried:
Resetting the power plan to default
Changing to a different power plan
Changing back to the original power plan
Reinstalling Windows so that instead of an upgraded W7 install, it's running stock W10
Changing to a different power plan

After all of this, it now goes to sleep after two minutes. It still says that it's going to sleep because the system is idle.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

This is a long shot but does anyone know of any live screen translation software? I’ve spent the past few hours trying some and nothing really works. Google’s translation app on phones where you point the camera at the screen and have it translate in real time is great but I dont want to keep holding my phone up to the screen.

I don’t know about live but google translate is good for web browsing and can do images as well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Djeser posted:

After all of this, it now goes to sleep after two minutes. It still says that it's going to sleep because the system is idle.
Try this:
Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0

Set Attributes to 2
Go to Advanced power settings (click on Windows button, write power options, click on Power Options, in the selected plan click on the Change plan settings, click on the Change advanced power settings).
Click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'
Click Sleep, then System unattended sleep timeout, and change this setting from 2 Minutes to whatever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/Windows-10-version-1809-designated-for-broad-deployment/ba-p/389540

quote:

Based on the data and the feedback we’ve received from consumers, OEMs, ISVs, partners, and commercial customers, Windows 10, version 1809 has transitioned to broad deployment. With this, the Windows 10 release information page will now reflect Semi-Annual Channel (SAC) for version 1809. We will continue to communicate for future releases the transition from targeted to broad deployment status.

....yeah, that's..... that's great, guys. Good work. Real good work, let me tell you.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Windows didn't pick up that the clocks 'sprang forward' last night. I had to flick the 'automatically adjust the time' setting off and on again before it set the time correctly. :rolleyes:

vv What's silly is that W7 used to have a warning in the calendar/clock that popped up when you clicked the time in the taskbar, 'the clocks go forward at 2am in a week's time' etc. Of course they got rid of that for W10 because ?????, so here I am wondering why my phone and PC are showing different times

spincube fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 31, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you were in the US it woulda worked just fine when we sprang forward earlier this month

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you were in the US it woulda worked just fine when we sprang forward earlier this month

It worked just fine here as well.

Also, lol @ part of the George W. Bush legacy being that he moved the daylight savings time.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Worked fine for me, but a friend with the set time zone automatically option not enabled had his PC be stuck on standard time. Maybe it's got something to do with using a W7 upgrade install? :shrug: Mine is a clean install.

spincube posted:

vv What's silly is that W7 used to have a warning in the calendar/clock that popped up when you clicked the time in the taskbar, 'the clocks go forward at 2am in a week's time' etc. Of course they got rid of that for W10 because ?????, so here I am wondering why my phone and PC are showing different times

I mean, if you seriously don't know when the DST changeover happens without your computer telling you then I don't know what to say. It should be pretty much immediately obvious and warnings like that are a relic from the era when automatic DST switching was still somewhat unusual.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Fortunately it seems like logic is finally taking over and we might be done with this daylight savings nonsense within the next decade or so.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Ghostlight posted:

Try this:
Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0

Set Attributes to 2
Go to Advanced power settings (click on Windows button, write power options, click on Power Options, in the selected plan click on the Change plan settings, click on the Change advanced power settings).
Click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'
Click Sleep, then System unattended sleep timeout, and change this setting from 2 Minutes to whatever.

Thanks, I tried that out and hopefully that'll work.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ruflux posted:

I mean, if you seriously don't know when the DST changeover happens without your computer telling you then I don't know what to say. It should be pretty much immediately obvious and warnings like that are a relic from the era when automatic DST switching was still somewhat unusual.

I always appreciated the early warning in previous Windows versions to remind me that it's coming up soon (and the exact date of the change), and I'm sure many others felt the same. It's nice that you may not have thought you needed it or appreciated its former existence, but if you can't understand that at least some people may have found it useful then I don't know what to say either.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why is it Microsoft's job to tell you when dst starts and ends? If anything that seems like something you would want on your smartphone nowadays.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mystes posted:

Why is it Microsoft's job to tell you when dst starts and ends? If anything that seems like something you would want on your smartphone nowadays.

I.. uh.. wow.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

mystes posted:

Why is it Microsoft's job to tell you when dst starts and ends?

Nobody's saying it was.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Seems like a good use for a notification at least

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
there are irreconcilable differences between the people who appreciate useful little notifications and the people who hate stupid annoying popups. the cycle of software is for these features to be added, exist long enough for the first group to take them for granted, and then be removed when the second group bitches about them.

(also, any notification that isn't useful to you, the person receiving it, is a stupid annoying popup.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I dunno, I think a "yo the clock changed for daylight savings" self-hiding popup twice a year is pretty informative and unobtrusive. If that's too much for someone to handle then they could add a notification toggle in the Time and Date settings or whatever, but honestly this kind of thing is where it's better to just do it instead of making every single tiny thing configurable :ninja:

You might get it more often if you're travelling to different countries, but that just makes it more useful imo. Time zones are hell

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's almost as though the correct solution is to let people configure what information they do and don't want

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hopefully not a dumb question but on the File Explorer I clicked the 'Network' tab to drop-down and it showed a PC with some kind of unique identifier, and I have no idea what it is or why it's there?

I tried to Google this and how to remove it because it looks like another PC is somehow connected to mine on the network which is bizarre considering I have the setting to 'public' so that the network is considered untrusted and the PC is presumably hidden and unable to connect to other devices. When I click on this PC-G8HF548 (that's the kind of name it has) there's nothing showing in File Explorer but it still struck me as odd and concerning. I can't gather any useful info from right-clicking and looking at properties and when I tried to Google this for answers it just bombarded me with pages and pages of troubleshooting of how to add devices to a network rather than remove them or why they even show up.

Windows 10 is up-to-date and I'm running ESET Smart Security as my antivirus. It just struck me as odd because I did the same setup when using Windows 7 and no other devices ever showed up under the 'Network' tab so I don't know if it's a weird quirk of Windows 10 or if this is something to be concerned about because it's an actual named device that appears to be connected but I'm unable to see any information about?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SUNKOS posted:

Hopefully not a dumb question but on the File Explorer I clicked the 'Network' tab to drop-down and it showed a PC with some kind of unique identifier, and I have no idea what it is or why it's there?

I tried to Google this and how to remove it because it looks like another PC is somehow connected to mine on the network which is bizarre considering I have the setting to 'public' so that the network is considered untrusted and the PC is presumably hidden and unable to connect to other devices. When I click on this PC-G8HF548 (that's the kind of name it has) there's nothing showing in File Explorer but it still struck me as odd and concerning. I can't gather any useful info from right-clicking and looking at properties and when I tried to Google this for answers it just bombarded me with pages and pages of troubleshooting of how to add devices to a network rather than remove them or why they even show up.

Windows 10 is up-to-date and I'm running ESET Smart Security as my antivirus. It just struck me as odd because I did the same setup when using Windows 7 and no other devices ever showed up under the 'Network' tab so I don't know if it's a weird quirk of Windows 10 or if this is something to be concerned about because it's an actual named device that appears to be connected but I'm unable to see any information about?

Open a command prompt, and type "ping" and then the name of the PC listed. Then check if response time is very short and the ip address you get in the output is the IP your computer has.

You can run "ipconfig" to check your PC's current IP.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

It's probably your own PC. To check, search for 'Name' on the taskbar and go to 'View This PC's Name'

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the helpful responses. It is my own PC, yeah :)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
As an aside, get rid of the antivirus software. Windows includes everything you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Lol, I have many years in IT as a software dev and this caught me as well :). Is there any way to name your PC during setup anymore? Or do you have to go through with the install and then change the name?
I mean as a normal user, I’m sure IT departments have install scripts and whatnot to name them whatever.

Probably just me showing my age, but changing a PC name gives me the Heeby jeebies. I did it once in the old days and had IUSR_ accounts that didn’t match and it screwed a bunch of stuff up. Ended up reinstalling

Thx