Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is there a joke in the poll?
This poll is closed.
Nope 12 8.16%
Nothing 10 6.80%
Sorry 18 12.24%
Bowsette 107 72.79%
Total: 147 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

of course not, it's kirby

It's not :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

motherfucker didn't even dot the eyes or add a great big smile, failed 2 outta 3 steps

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Seeing how squishable Kirby is, he is definitely boneless

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

Seeing how squishable Kirby is, he is definitely boneless

His bones are also squishy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kirby is a magical creature and defies the laws of physics. What we know about bodies doesn't apply to Kirby.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I know he has a mouth; I kiss him on it frequently.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kirby is a mollusc, he has a rigid beak somewhere and everything else is infinitely deformable

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

kirby is my friend

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

bushisms.txt posted:

Magic is just science until you know how it works.

Don't be fooled everyone, it may look like Kirby, but the crown is a dead giveaway. That is clearly Prince Fluff from Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I know he has a mouth; I kiss him on it frequently.

ew you've kissed everyone kirby has ever kissed

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Kirby has a way bigger heart than that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

quote:

Many say they or their co-workers had to take “stress leave”—a doctor-mandated period of weeks or even months worth of vacation for their mental health. One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry. “People were so angry and sad all the time,” they said. Said another: “Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don't be fooled everyone, it may look like Kirby, but the crown is a dead giveaway. That is clearly Prince Fluff from Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Actually it's Kirbette

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

I was just reading this and now I'm hanging out mad at work

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have yet to have a job that didn't drive me to tears with stress at one point. Depression and anxiety are epidemic within modern capitalism, my dudes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have yet to have a job that didn't drive me to tears with stress at one point. Depression and anxiety are epidemic within modern capitalism, my dudes.

There are plenty of non-toxic workplaces where depression and anxiety are the exception, not the norm.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Oh, alright, carry on everyone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The only time that's happened to me out of college was when I worked with the most liberal goody two-shoes nonprofit because not even capitalists enjoy grinding young idealists into dust more than their own.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Isn't this most big name developers with big name publishers?

Also

Andrast posted:

There are plenty of non-toxic workplaces where depression and anxiety are the exception, not the norm.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you people should try being dead inside, makes it easy peasy not to cry

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

One former BioWare developer said that they and some of their co-workers would bring up these concerns to directors, only to be ignored. “You’d come to management saying, ‘Look, we’re seeing the same problems on Inquisition and Andromeda, where design wasn’t figuring things out. It’s getting really late in the project and the core of the game isn’t defined.’ Basically saying, ‘Hey, the same mistakes are happening again, did you guys see this the last time? Can you stop this?’” said the developer. “They’d be quite dismissive about it.”
that is so kafkaesque

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Samuringa posted:

Oh, alright, carry on everyone.

That wasn't my point, these issues that are present in every level of socioeconomic existence, from highly paid professional jobs to people sweeping the floors at McDonalds. It's a systemic problem that we all have to deal with and unfortunately the solutions tend to be left up to individuals to find help. I've finally started seeing a therapist to manage my own anxiety issues and this is after years of thinking I should go and having a family tragedy give me the kick in the rear end I needed. Lots of people don't even reach this step, they just burn out professionally or worse. It shouldn't be that way, companies should give a poo poo about the mental well-being of their employees and should prioritize that over profits and timetables.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's also a round Kirby, which is non-canon. Kirby is actually a cube.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There's a lot I could be sad about but I am deeply grateful that I have some boring higher ed job with lots of downtime so that I can post at work instead of cursing my fleeting existence like in past workplaces. Now if I only could play video games too, that would be living the dream.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

There's a lot I could be sad about but I am deeply grateful that I have some boring higher ed job with lots of downtime so that I can post at work instead of cursing my fleeting existence like in past workplaces. Now if I only could play video games too, that would be living the dream.

Find a way to work from home.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't have that much downtime but post at work anyway.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This is a really good article.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cowcaster posted:

that is so kafkaesque

I'm not in the video game biz, but at a previous job, after two years on a project, in a meeting where management were basically all admitting they'd thrown an obscene bunch of money into a mismanaged project that was going nowhere because the specs were overhauled every two weeks, the solution they found was to add the exact same sum to the budget once again and change nothing else, and then to profusely pat themselves on the back. Five years later, that project still hasn't been released and no one is really questioning why although they think it may be a problem with the middleware they're using.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That wasn't my point, these issues that are present in every level of socioeconomic existence, from highly paid professional jobs to people sweeping the floors at McDonalds. It's a systemic problem that we all have to deal with and unfortunately the solutions tend to be left up to individuals to find help. I've finally started seeing a therapist to manage my own anxiety issues and this is after years of thinking I should go and having a family tragedy give me the kick in the rear end I needed. Lots of people don't even reach this step, they just burn out professionally or worse. It shouldn't be that way, companies should give a poo poo about the mental well-being of their employees and should prioritize that over profits and timetables.

I've been thinking recently that part of the problem beyond capitalism being terrible is that for a lot of people work is the only real source of external validation they have (family doesn't count because it's expected they'll provide it, assuming a good relationship with them, and some don't even have that). When work is poorly managed and directed such that targets are continually missed and goals can't be met, that validation goes away. I think it's especially a problem for men because of how much work is a part of at least US cultural male identity, though that's not to say things are golden for women either.

Of course this could all be nonsense thinking, I'm not a psychologist or sociologist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's also that so many people make only enough to go paycheck-to-paycheck which means that loss of employment is a catastrophic event which is always hanging over their heads instead of a bump in the road

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That's typical video game development, especially from AAA developers. It just happens this one was mediocre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

chumbler posted:

I've been thinking recently that part of the problem beyond capitalism being terrible is that for a lot of people work is the only real source of external validation they have (family doesn't count because it's expected they'll provide it, assuming a good relationship with them, and some don't even have that). When work is poorly managed and directed such that targets are continually missed and goals can't be met, that validation goes away. I think it's especially a problem for men because of how much work is a part of at least US cultural male identity, though that's not to say things are golden for women either.

Of course this could all be nonsense thinking, I'm not a psychologist or sociologist.

TFW you commission 50 million sexbots to satisfy the needs of isolated men and all they wanna do is fix stuff for them around the house.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

TFW you commission 50 million sexbots to satisfy the needs of isolated men and all they wanna do is fix stuff for them around the house.

Don't even have to go that far. Make a robot that tells them they're strong when they carry in all the grocery bags in one trip.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

chumbler posted:

Don't even have to go that far. Make a robot that tells them they're strong when they carry in all the grocery bags in one trip.

looks like we got a two tripper over here

bettin' this guy needs to shower like every single day as well lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

chumbler posted:

In our postmodern non-binary world, mortally refusing a second trip to the car to get groceries is masculinity’s most defining trait.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

In our postmodern non-binary world, mortally refusing a second trip to the car to get groceries is masculinity’s most defining trait.

Real men don't carry anything and eat in the car

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'd be depressed too if my last two games were Andromeda and Anthem.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

chumbler posted:

It isn't nonsense. I think you're right and unfortunately for me I've seen real world consequences of this happening.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Anthem article is kind of nuts when you consider 1) this is a postmortem for a game that came out like just TWO months ago and 2) by all accounts it still made a shitload of money even with the critical lashing it got from critics and userbase alike. Reminds of Watchdogs which is a game loving no one remembers and shouldn't remember but was one of Ubisoft's bestselling titles ever. Gamers are loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Beyond would have been such a terrible name.