Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What the blue gently caress? Are they trying to electrocute someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Reminds me of that image of "alternative fuses" that includes ammunition, retaining clips, and a wrench.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

El Jebus posted:

Reminds me of that image of "alternative fuses" that includes ammunition, retaining clips, and a wrench.

https://twitter.com/kevinneubauer/status/1112865927610064897

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

"Audiovisual Auto-Alert" :catstare:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My favorite of those is the cheese/wrapper.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

El Jebus posted:

My favorite of those is the cheese/wrapper.
Multi-mode operation by the looks of things.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
They should have included an actual fuse and annotated it "(Deprecated)".

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Original ticket submitted July 2017: "Please block this phone number from incoming calls"

(my co-worker): Okay, done. Ticket closed.

Ticket reopened today: "Please unblock this number"

(my co-worker): Is it urgent?

"It's [managing partner]'s home number. It was blocked when they were separated but now they've reconciled and she has health issues so yes, he says it is urgent."

drat :smith: hope things end up okay.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

ConfusedUs posted:

What the blue gently caress? Are they trying to electrocute someone?

I think that's a April Fools' joke, but I'm not 100% sure because it's IT twitter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

240v on some screws. It makes no sense either because those power leads are easy to get hold of.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Moatman posted:

I think that's a April Fools' joke, but I'm not 100% sure because it's IT twitter.

I saw it a month or so ago on a cursed computer images Twitter account.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Thanks Ants posted:

240v on some screws. It makes no sense either because those power leads are easy to get hold of.

Every goodwill ever has a tangled wad of those cords. They fairly litter the earth at this point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A screwy one

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

PS2 connector.

I'll see myself out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

TWBalls posted:

PS2 connector.

DualShock

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I might have asked this once but how many amps is a penny? Like, when you use a penny as a fuse it doesn't melt, but there's presumably some amperage which would cause it to melt?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schadenboner posted:

I might have asked this once but how many amps is a penny? Like, when you use a penny as a fuse it doesn't melt, but there's presumably some amperage which would cause it to melt?

A penny in an old time fuse socket will easily let over 50 amps cross it for an extended time, and people would do it on circuits where continuous use over 15 or 20 amps would quickly lead to an electrical fire.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Schadenboner posted:

Depends on the penny.
Pennies after 1982 have considerably more resistance since they're mostly zinc.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Depends on the penny.
Pennies after 1982 have considerably more resistance since they're mostly zinc.

Also depends on how the penny is clamped in place. I could see 50-100 amps easily on an old copper penny if you were able to get a really solid connection, and 25-30 if the connectors were less robust.

New penny? Maybe 15ish? Useful as a fuse, but burning zinc isnt OSHA at all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Man... the poor bastard that took over the handling of all the printer/copier responsibilities from me is really in for it.

%department% needs a new copier.
They have 2 options; buy one or get in on our Xerox contract.

We recommended they purchase one, because adding one to our contract is gonna be hella expensive until we have time to negotiate a new contract.
They say they can't afford to buy one. Ok... but our purchase recommendation is less than half the cost of a 1 year lease with Xerox.
We get a quote for a lease back from Xerox $500/mo plus $650 delivery fee.

%Manager% replies "Think we need to push Xerox harder for lower price as we are renewing and not putting out an RFP"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
inkjets from amazon for everybody!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Renegret posted:

inkjets from amazon for everybody!

"I just got my new printer, and I can't find the CD tray to load the software."

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Geemer posted:

DualShock
:vince:

Also horrifying: look at the gunk caked in the warranty seal. Ew.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Speaking of printers. We don’t give local printers unless you’re a VP or deal with payroll. HR mid manager tells me to give a printer to her new HR assistant. I tell her that policy is that my boss and her VP need to approve. This happens when my boss is on vacation. She says she can’t wait and to do it now. I tell her no.

Boss returns and she is waiting for him and says I need to be talked to about how I’m hard to deal with, I always say no, and that I need to learn how to better serve customers.

My boss tells me all this and I’m getting livid. He goes on to say that he told her there is no way her assistant is getting a printer and that I handled the situation exactly as he expected me to. Good. I hate that HR lady, always asking for poo poo and throwing a fit when she doesn’t get her way.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
"Customers?"

Are you working for an MSP, because if you're internal IT, anything other than "colleague" is loving unacceptable.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Speaking of printers. We don’t give local printers unless you’re a VP or deal with payroll. HR mid manager tells me to give a printer to her new HR assistant. I tell her that policy is that my boss and her VP need to approve. This happens when my boss is on vacation. She says she can’t wait and to do it now. I tell her no.

Boss returns and she is waiting for him and says I need to be talked to about how I’m hard to deal with, I always say no, and that I need to learn how to better serve customers.

My boss tells me all this and I’m getting livid. He goes on to say that he told her there is no way her assistant is getting a printer and that I handled the situation exactly as he expected me to. Good. I hate that HR lady, always asking for poo poo and throwing a fit when she doesn’t get her way.
I feel like HR is universally pretty terrible. Like, the place I work at now has the best HR I've ever worked with, and I would describe it as "meets expectations."

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like HR is universally pretty terrible. Like, the place I work at now has the best HR I've ever worked with, and I would describe it as "meets expectations."

Yeah ours is pretty bad too. Our internal recruiters are so bad it's depressing to work with them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eikre posted:

"Customers?"

Are you working for an MSP, because if you're internal IT, anything other than "colleague" is loving unacceptable.

Depends on your org. When everyone is in Battlin’ Business Units everything is cross-charged. So everyone outside your BU is a “customer”.

Personally, I think it’s dumb since it’s really just shuffling money around internally. But then again I’m not in finance, so maybe there’s some accounting advantage to it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eikre posted:

"Customers?"

We're on a "customer" standard. Lucky me, I'm now on a team where "user" is acceptable when it's just us talking.

e. I've been on the new team long enough to have forgotten that I technically do work for an MSP embedded in capital-C Customer's IT department.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 4, 2019

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
We don’t do chargebacks or anything but some upper management decided that they wanted to rebrand IT as a service organization without doing any of the heavy lifting of properly implementing ITIL/ITSM so now users/coworkers/colleagues are arbitrarily customers. Achievement unlocked.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Internal Clients still makes me cringe

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
We're told to refer to them as citizens rather than user/clients

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Proteus Jones posted:

Depends on your org. When everyone is in Battlin’ Business Units everything is cross-charged. So everyone outside your BU is a “customer”.

Personally, I think it’s dumb since it’s really just shuffling money around internally. But then again I’m not in finance, so maybe there’s some accounting advantage to it.

The basic logic is that if stupid rear end IT/facilities requests come out of your budget, you'll be more frugal about ordering 20 Macbook airs for your interns or whatever the gently caress. "Its not my money so what do I care?"

There is always a shitload of politics and budget fuckery though, so it comes down to who can lie to your face most effectively and who can complain enough until youncabe just to shut them up.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

LethalGeek posted:

Internal Clients still makes me cringe
I'm a goddamn security guard and the latest training thing they had us do tried to make us start that 'internal clients' and 'external clients' bullshit.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

fluppet posted:

NO sir. This is not how we do things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

fluppet posted:

Would you like to know more?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eikre posted:

"Customers?"

Internal IT. Yup. We’ve banned macs so that’s always fun when someone new and entitled comes in demanding one.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Macs are poo poo for business, especially when they need to be centrally managed.

I say that as someone who uses a touchbar MBP for work, and I still agree with it.

That being said, the little convenience things of being on a *nix-based system, even with the large amounts of fuckery that come with OSX, in a Unix/Linux team are nice.

But there's no way I'd have a problem doing my job if they suddenly said that Macs are going away.

I need a browser and a terminal. I could do my job on a RPi.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Getting DEP and Jamf set up and working properly eliminates like 90% of the complaints I have about Macs in a corp environment, it really is low effort once that's done. And most of the remaining problems are software idiosyncrasies that we expect our users to be able to figure out since they requested a MacBook in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

More expense, more expertise, and the OSX version of Teams is an utter circus-park dumpster fire.

I don't have to manage it, so it doesn't matter to me. I like the hardware and I'm an OS agnostic, so if they want to spend $3-4k for me I'll use it.