Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Basebf555 posted:

It's just a symptom of how the average person in America still tends to think of "horror" and "80's slasher" as synonyms, and so anything that has a little more to it(like good cinematography, performances, etc) has to be considered some brand new category.

By far the most frustrating part of talking with horror fans outside of this thread in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It's just a symptom of how the average person in America still tends to think of "horror" and "80's slasher" as synonyms, and so anything that has a little more to it(like good cinematography, performances, etc) has to be considered some brand new category.

Maybe for film critics or older generations (like my parents), but the majority of people that are 35 or younger, from when I talk to them, think of The Conjuring as their reference to horror these days.

It's pretty crazy how horror is still the black sheep of genre films when they are easily the most popular films that aren't about superheroes or made by Disney. My theater was selling out of DAYTIME showings of Us on opening weekend. Like, Friday morning, there was a line of adults, teens and even middle schoolers. Pet Sematary is going to make buckets of money, because people are hungry for the next IT. Every new horror movie I go to is a full theater.

It's an empty complaint, I guess, because the day horror is considered as popular and legit as, say, the latest Marvel movie, is the day the genre becomes a farce.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's really funny because horror in the past 5+ years consistently does well at the box office and gets good audience reviews, but when came time to remake the most famous horror franchises of all, Universal tried to make a bunch of lovely superhero movies starring the most expensive actors imaginable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

We don't call something an elevated drama, or an elevated comedy when the same elements apply.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Basebf555 posted:

Have you not seen Christmas Evil? If not you're in for a treat.

Seconded. Watched on the recommendation here, and... You know, its not a very good title for the movie. Its not as schlocky as it sounds. Great movie. Great ending.

Which reminds me that I just watched Lets Scare Jessica to Death. drat did I enjoy that movie. It just shows the perfect amount of restraint in how much the viewer knows and doesn't.
Unlike Us, which I just saw a second time and... I'm still bothered by what I see as a major miss step in the 3rd act.

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 3, 2019

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Double post

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It really frustrates me that way more lovely comedies are churned out than lovely horror movies but the former gets more respect and isn't asked to constantly apologize for cheap, lazy comedies coming out by the dozens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gejimayu posted:

Seconded. Watched on the recommendation here, and. You know, its not a very good title for the movie. Its not as schlocky as it sounds.

Which reminds me that I just watched Lets Scare Jessica to Death. drat did I enjoy that movie. It just shows the perfect amount of restraint in how much the viewer knows and doesn't.
Unlike Us, which I just saw a second time and... I'm still bothered by what I see as a major miss step in the 3rd act.

I've been trying to wait until May for Let's Scare Jessica to Death but I may not make it, I really want to watch it.

Christmas Evil's more appropriate title is You Better Watch Out, which I think is a much better fit.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The response from the critics is overwhelmingly against the term, thankfully. Personally, I find it bad but not as bad as “post-horror.” It’s also weird to read Art Horror being used like it’s something new, despite some of the earliest films in the genre being part of the german expressionist movement.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like the low status horror occupies because you can just laugh at and ignore that stuff rather than having to take it seriously in any way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BrendianaJones posted:

It really frustrates me that way more lovely comedies are churned out than lovely horror movies but the former gets more respect and isn't asked to constantly apologize for cheap, lazy comedies coming out by the dozens.

I agree that we're over-saturated with dumb comedies, but no one respects comedies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

I agree that we're over-saturated with dumb comedies, but no one respects comedies.

At ALL.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's really funny because horror in the past 5+ years consistently does well at the box office and gets good audience reviews, but when came time to remake the most famous horror franchises of all, Universal tried to make a bunch of lovely superhero movies starring the most expensive actors imaginable.

All real movies are live action cartoons featuring oddly muscled men sassing cgi characters in front of a green screen now. Welcome to the future, pops.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think horror by design can incur negative feelings in a viewer, and therefore negative responses. Of course, I would hope and expect that any professional critic worth their salt would be able to examine and contextualise any negative feelings they get, and understand that it's a feature and not a bug, but not everyone is good at their job.

Elevated horror, or post-horror, are such wanky and undefined useless terms anyway. I don't think they'll last.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

All real movies are live action cartoons featuring oddly muscled men sassing cgi characters in front of a green screen now. Welcome to the future, pops.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/954422747500859394

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

quote:

“If you’re like me, and you like nothing more than chaotic, ugly-looking scenes of computerized carnage where you can practically see the mouse cursor hovering over the movie screen at all times, then this truly is the greatest time in history to be a moviegoer.”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://twitter.com/brettgallman/status/926814656198578176?s=19

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

It's pretty crazy how horror is still the black sheep of genre films when they are easily the most popular films that aren't about superheroes or made by Disney.

Factor in the fact that the most popular super hero movies are themselves made by Disney.

These things are related

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Horror and comedy absolutely owned Depression-era moviehouses.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Horror and comedy absolutely owned Depression-era moviehouses.

Not so much comedy as musicals. Horror and musicals are always huge during economic depression - hence why the German horror boom started in 1919 while the comparable American boom didn't really come into its own until 1930. People want horror movies to see someone else get it worse and musicals for pure escapism.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There has been a noticeable decline in church attendance, but the US is still a deeply religious country, and I suspect that horror may be getting the black sheep treatment due to that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

There has been a noticeable decline in church attendance, but the US is still a deeply religious country, and I suspect that horror may be getting the black sheep treatment due to that.

I mean, it's certainly a big reason why witch movies are now popular after the rise and fall of the modern demonic possession movie. Majority of Americans still believe that stuff's "real".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean, there's whole swaths of the country that still think Harry Potter is not appropriate for children because it's about "the dark arts" or it's "demonic".

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Harry Potter should be banned because it encourages mischief making.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

Have you not seen Christmas Evil? If not you're in for a treat.

I've seen it, just don't have a copy of it. I'd put it's ending up there with Sleepaway Camp for 'completely blindsiding me with what happened'.

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe for film critics or older generations (like my parents), but the majority of people that are 35 or younger, from when I talk to them, think of The Conjuring as their reference to horror these days.

It's pretty crazy how horror is still the black sheep of genre films when they are easily the most popular films that aren't about superheroes or made by Disney. My theater was selling out of DAYTIME showings of Us on opening weekend. Like, Friday morning, there was a line of adults, teens and even middle schoolers. Pet Sematary is going to make buckets of money, because people are hungry for the next IT. Every new horror movie I go to is a full theater.

It's an empty complaint, I guess, because the day horror is considered as popular and legit as, say, the latest Marvel movie, is the day the genre becomes a farce.

Horror will always be looked down on. It's always been that way because to the mainstream it makes no sense for people to enjoy horror movies and the genre's always been seen as more of a low class person's entertainment because of the content. Like I was saying in Discord when we were waiting for the stream to start, when I was in 5th grade, my teacher insisted I needed to go for a psychiatric evaluation because she felt it wasn't normal for a girl to like horror movies. My parents were pissed because the teacher set up the evaluation without having a meeting with them first. The facility I had to get evaluated at was a standard late 70s-early 80s institution where my Mom and I had to walk past kids my age in restraints and wearing helmets so they wouldn't beat themselves bloody against the walls. That I asked my Mom if I was like that had her in full mamabear mode. My diagnosis was 'Normal, except for excessive creativity'. I don't know what happened in the meetings with the school after that other than both my parents went and my Dad's a 'Fist of an Angry Wrathful God' type when he's pissed off. The teacher didn't get fired, but I'd like to think she got disciplined because she just glared at me and made the rest of the school year hell.

So as far as the not horror movie crowd goes, gently caress THEM. I've met and made more friends in the horror community that have been some of the most incredible people I'm happy to've met and have in my life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harry Potter should've been banned because it loving sucks and I'm sick of seeing fanart of it on my timeline 20 years later.

Grow the gently caress out of it already you horrible monsters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is it bad that I can't even tell what movie that still is from?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Not until you start thinking about how many CG artists worked on it.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

ruddiger posted:

it's from the sequel to clash of the titans, which I didn't even realize had been made until I looked up sam worthington on imdb a couple weeks ago because I couldn't remember a single movie he starred in besides terminator

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stink Billyums posted:

it's from the sequel to clash of the titans, which I didn't even realize had been made until I looked up sam worthington on imdb a couple weeks ago because I couldn't remember a single movie he starred in besides terminator

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sabotage, imo.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd say that depends on a few factors and all this is based on my observations over the years. Catholics, horror movies aren't really a big deal other than priests will nitpick what exorcism films get wrong about Mother Church. The more fundamentalist/evangelical branches of Protestant Christianity are very much horror movies = darksided. Back in the 80s it was the same as if you listened to heavy metal, now it's more of a 'horror movies are pretty darksided so what other darksided things are you inviting into your life' kinda thing. I do wear a Petrine Cross as a sign of my faith, but Protestant Christians will still see it as darksided even after explaining the story of St. Peter.

Of course, there are exceptions to the trend. A guy I worked with who's a very devout Christian is also the biggest Fulci film aficionado I have ever met.

And as much as it's easy to pin things on religion since God knows we've had enough precedent established, even secular attitudes have no problem looking down on the horror genre. We've all heard the statements that with all the gory stuff happening in horror films that someone had to have something mentally wrong with them to like watching that stuff and the insights we pull from the genre are just us scrambling to justify liking the genre rather than admit we're a bunch of sickos.

In short, Horror being the black sheep's nothing new. It's been going on for decades.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
That Creepshow series they're making for Shudder is adapting the Stephen King short story "Gray Matter". Adrienne Barbeau, Giancarlo Esposito and Tobin Bell are starring in it.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The Elevated Horror discourse inspired bad takes on the opposite end of the "acclaimed horror is a different genre" mindset as well https://twitter.com/YannickLeJacq/status/1110407631674314752?s=09

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I call it A-24 horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

I call it A-24 horror.

They call it that, too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A-Twenty Fhorror

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I've seen the first two episodes of Twilight Zone

The first episode had a boring predictable plot that was twice as long as it had any right to be. The casting was excellent, but if you cut the whole thing in half you'd have a much better episode. It did not need to be 55 goddamn minutes.

The second episode's title is a lie- it's not a remake of Nightmare at 30000 feet at all. And this is a good thing. I didn't want a remake of that episode.

It does its own thing and tells its own story and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first episode, helped by having a considerably shorter run time.

The one real complaint I'd have with the episode is the writing again- this time, the main character is written like an idiot. Like, start to finish, he's written like a moron, not some one suffering from PTSD or stress related problems. There's no real build up to him snapping and going nuts, he's just hyper paranoid out the gate and willing to do really stupid poo poo without any self reflection.

The episode was still good, but that kind of drags it down in my opinion. I think it's always a weakness of a plot like this when you make the lead act in stupid ways when they're not supposed to be.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nroo posted:

The Elevated Horror discourse inspired bad takes on the opposite end of the "acclaimed horror is a different genre" mindset as well https://twitter.com/YannickLeJacq/status/1110407631674314752?s=09
I strongly believe this happens in marketing but wouldn't plant my flag in Us as an example of something made for people who don't like horror. Even Hereditary has plenty of stuff horror fans enjoyed. It's just long and deliberately uneven.

Twilight Zone 2019 is an abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I strongly believe this happens in marketing but wouldn't plant my flag in Us as an example of something made for people who don't like horror. Even Hereditary has plenty of stuff horror fans enjoyed. It's just long and deliberately uneven.

The only thing that really bothers me is the insinuation that before Get Out the genre was devoid of artistic merit, and that now we’re in some kind of bold new era. I think everyone can agree that something like The Witch and something like Happy Death Day are very different movies that might appeal to different people.