Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bogart posted:

e: Posted this and immediately died
The Crawl Curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Finisher is such a stupidly good weapon, I found it on the floor on D6 and immediately put it on with 0 polearms and it still murdered everything, speed brand and the autokill proc are is just such an insane combination.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Archaeologists are such a neat starting class. Love that GoonCrawl just keeps adding new and fun things and that each release is full of fixes and improvements rather than someone taking a machete to content.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Captainsalami posted:

Are there any spell schools now that dont have a capstone spell? I like the idea that any school gotten strong enough to cast level 9 spells should be able to help you through a 3 runer more or less.

Poison caps at lvl 6, and with only a single spell at that (since poisonous cloud was removed because crawl devs I guess? Hey, has gooncrawl fixed that one yet? ). I'm actually wondering what options could be given for high level Poison magic? Mass virulence? Maybe make some of the acid effects available as spells and roll those into poison magic? Buff player-induced corrosion to the same version monsters use (stacking - armor and - slaying)?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Aumanor posted:

Poison caps at lvl 6, and with only a single spell at that (since poisonous cloud was removed because crawl devs I guess? Hey, has gooncrawl fixed that one yet? ). I'm actually wondering what options could be given for high level Poison magic? Mass virulence? Maybe make some of the acid effects available as spells and roll those into poison magic? Buff player-induced corrosion to the same version monsters use (stacking - armor and - slaying)?

Wouldn't a poison within spell be good/thematic.

You infect someone and when they die they explode into more poison/poison damage and infect other things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Toalpaz posted:

Wouldn't a poison within spell be good/thematic.

You infect someone and when they die they explode into more poison/poison damage and infect other things.
If the name weren't already taken, I'd suggest calling it "Virulence." Dragon Age: Awakening had a spell like that and it was one of the most useful and entertaining abilities in the game. I certainly wouldn't mind having something like that.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

You could also make a poison called bone hurting juice that is effective against undead and constructs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Call it Hydrofluoric Acid, make it Water/Poison. 1/4 chance for a radius 1 splash AOE.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Poison/Hexes, create a Leda's Liquification-esque pool at a targeted area. Enemies within the pool are slowed and take damage each turn, with a chance of poison/corrode.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I guess I've never thought about it - is rCorr very common among enemies seen in a typical 3-runer? Corrosion seems like an obvious effect for high level poison spells.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Poison/Hexes, create a Leda's Liquification-esque pool at a targeted area. Enemies within the pool are slowed and take damage each turn, with a chance of poison/corrode.
This sounds like an effect that would synergize very well with things like Freezing or Flaming Cloud. I like it. Crawl is the kind of game where traps are incredibly annoying, but any skills for trap-making always pay for themselves in short order.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hooplah posted:

I guess I've never thought about it - is rCorr very common among enemies seen in a typical 3-runer? Corrosion seems like an obvious effect for high level poison spells.

Main fork of Crawl has always been against putting Acid into the Poison Magic school. In their view, Poison Magic is an early game tool that is supposed to fall off and adding acid damage options would give the school longevity.

Acid's not very well resisted outside of Slime but there's very little sources of it on the player side: All I can think of are one part of Makhleb's Lesser Destruction, wands of acid, yellow draconian breath, acid bite mutation, and I think there's an unrandart bow with an acid brand.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If Gooncrawl made Acid a special thing that only Water/Poison mages can have, I think it would be fair enough even with the relatively weak resists that monsters have to it. Even with a lot of fixes, Poison will be one of the weaker spell classes for at least a while yet and as two-elemental skill, the XP investment is proportionally higher than a conjuration/element spell of equal level.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

redneck nazgul posted:

All I can think of are one part of Makhleb's Lesser Destruction, wands of acid, yellow draconian breath, acid bite mutation, and I think there's an unrandart bow with an acid brand.

Punk, it's a fustibalus. Does 2d4 acid damage on top of normal sling damage and corrodes.

A nice find for slingers.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Prism posted:

Punk, it's a fustibalus. Does 2d4 acid damage on top of normal sling damage and corrodes.

Hellcrawl turned it into a shortbow and it's crazy strong there.

It also occurs to me that Poison could also get a bit of an upgrade by adding in Curare/Frenzy effects.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Curare is legit powerful enough that it might actually be too much to hand out like that in essentially infinite quantities.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
As opposed to Lich form Tornadoes? :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Haha, ok, fair point. But really, anything that curare currently works on would be a bit too early in the game to make it a level 7 to 9 spell, but giving it to you as a level 2-4 spell for the areas where you'd want it the most would just be overwhelming. Curare needles are as rare as they are for a good reason. A stack of them can carry you through some stuff you really shouldn't be able to survive, especially coupled with a good blowgun.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bogart posted:

As opposed to Lich form Tornadoes? :v:
Is this something you can reasonably do during a three rune game? I....kinda don't think so. Like if you want to gate curare behind a level 9 spell and a level 8 dual-school spell, I don't think it'd be broken, but I also don't think it'd come up a lot.

Breaking the "balance" of 15 runes mostly doesn't matter. Breaking the balance of the main dungeon on your way towards lair? That matters a lot and is where the game is most tightly controlled.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sounds like what you’re saying is a 5-7 curare spell. Or maybe a Sticks to Snakes a like that converts arrows into needles?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is it possible to give temporary brands to arrows or needles? A level 6 spell that turns regular needles into temporary Curare needles, let's say 3 at a time, that sounds very fair to me. If it can't be done temporarily, then perhaps the best solution would something comparable to sand blast, which requires you wield needles for the spell to be effective, with a guarantee that the needle will be used up.

What do you think?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

If Gooncrawl made Acid a special thing that only Water/Poison mages can have, I think it would be fair enough even with the relatively weak resists that monsters have to it. Even with a lot of fixes, Poison will be one of the weaker spell classes for at least a while yet and as two-elemental skill, the XP investment is proportionally higher than a conjuration/element spell of equal level.

Did I miss water magic school being put into gooncrawl?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Did I miss water magic school being put into gooncrawl?
:ughh: Sorry, I mean Ice, of course. I don't know how I mixed that up.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Level 5 seems like a good point for a single-target curare spell: You're still limited by rPois, you're only hitting one thing at a time, and you're probably not going to kill any big threats with one shot of curare.

If it needs further balancing, make it require a poisoned target.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

Nice find for anyone! I got it on this guy late game and it was still crushing stuff in Depths and Zot. Killing Draconians in 3-4 shots and when they get there they are all corroded to poo poo...

pre:
2353336 araganzar the Slayer (level 27, 285/285 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Archaeologist on Apr 2, 2019.
             Escaped with the Orb... and 4 runes on Apr 3, 2019!

araganzar the Slayer (Naga Archaeologist)          Turns: 74499, Time: 04:21:38

Health: 285/285    AC: 53    Str: 37    XL:     27
Magic:  22/28      EV: 36    Int: 19    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   4660       SH: 34    Dex: 24    Spells: 17/32 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +10 broad axe of Husarr {venom, Str+3 Int+3}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   B - +8 large shield {rC+}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   R - +10 chain mail of Generosity {MR++ Regen+ Int-2}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   p - +0 hat "Qutiyw" {Regen+ Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   J - +1 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   K - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   I - +4 naga barding {rF+}
Stlth    +.........             x - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
HPRegen  2.37/turn              W - ring "Camizok" {rC+ rN+ Dex+6}
MPRegen  0.21/turn              N - ring "Imor" {rElec rF+ rN+ Str+4 Stlth+}

redneck nazgul posted:

Main fork of Crawl has always been against putting Acid into the Poison Magic school. In their view, Poison Magic is an early game tool that is supposed to fall off and adding acid damage options would give the school longevity.

Reference: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:planning:wont_do

quote:

Adding acid spells to the Poison Magic school.
Poison is already well-defined, adding spells that bypass all of its drawbacks/advantages does not improve it.
Acid damage is not very different from plain nonelemental damage for players, since acid resistance is so rare and the monster corrosion effect is mostly insignificant.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

redneck nazgul posted:

Level 5 seems like a good point for a single-target curare spell: You're still limited by rPois, you're only hitting one thing at a time, and you're probably not going to kill any big threats with one shot of curare.

If it needs further balancing, make it require a poisoned target.
I guess I just also think it's a shame to take something interesting and distinct and make it unlimited use. Curare is pretty cool as it is in that it's a really strong, limited use thing that benefits from stealth and this change pushes it towards being just another generic spell effect. In general I think more things should be limited resources, not less.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Toxic Glue.
Like Borgnjor's Vile Clutch but bigger and better.

A spell which I have been suggesting since like 0.15

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Make Corpse Explosion a Poison spell

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I guess I just also think it's a shame to take something interesting and distinct and make it unlimited use. Curare is pretty cool as it is in that it's a really strong, limited use thing that benefits from stealth and this change pushes it towards being just another generic spell effect. In general I think more things should be limited resources, not less.
And if you do it anyway, it should work in an interesting way itself, which basically means unusual constraints or use-cases beyond just "cast spell, pick target."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bogart posted:

Make Corpse Explosion a Poison spell

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

"Is terrible and wastes all your time and experience learning it" is such a wonderful niche. Bravo, I say!

I kind of feel like curare as it is is kind of in the same area too, it's great until you hit the line where everything becomes permanently immune to it.

It'd be kinda cool if there was a level 9 Curare spell that just worked on everything as its capstone spell, though I guess that'd still be worse than infinite spamming of the other level 9 spells.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Just entered D4 and started blasting Menkaure with an ice wand, and in wanders Robin.I use a wand clouds and poison confuses him and in walks in Duvessa and Dewan, and as I position around a pillar Sigmund and an Ogre walk into line of sight. Game is kinda ridiculous its a good thing wand of clouds is kind of op and murderized them all.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Why cant we have acid as a spell element for 7 8 and 9 strength poison spells? Not like balance is first and foremost over anything in here over, ya know, things being fun and cool. Not like an acid rain spell that splashes a gently caress ton of acid would be more op than firestorm.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

quote:

Two-headed player species. In particular, no to two-headed playable ogres, double no to wearing two amulets at once and double double no to simultaneous religions.

As soon as I saw that a rejected ideas page exists I knew there would be some cool concepts there because the crawl devs are allergic to fun. Would you be able to code that, Floodkiller? Maybe make Ogres grow a second head at a certain level? Or as a possible mutation unique to them?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 3, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aumanor posted:

As soon as I saw that a rejected ideas page exists I knew there would be some cool concepts there because the crawl devs are allergic to fun. Would you be able to code that, Floodkiller? Maybe make Ogres grow a second head at a certain level? Or as a possible mutation unique to them?
The only part of that no that makes sense is the religion thing.

Edit: Not because it wouldn't be fun but because I can imagine it would be a nightmare of weird corner case bugs and exceptions and basically a loving nightmare to code.

Edit 2: Someone teach me how to code species

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think it would be possible to implement something like that as a mutation, not without reworking the entire bodypart system from the ground up. Basically everything about it is hardcoded, with Octopodes existing as a weird list of exceptions in the code that doesn't really give them extra limbs so much as replace most of them with extra ring slots.

I don't think you could make a two-headed race that can equip multiple helmets and amulets at all without taking something else away in exchange.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Take away the body amour slot cause their fat goony body can't fit into it?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Aumanor posted:

To-Do: Implement all features in the crawl dev "won't do" list

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You start with a second head and you lose it on an otherwise lethal hit. Doing so puts you in a Heroism state for a one time get out of jail card, but afterwards, you need to put together a bunch of large stones and graft it onto your body as a new head. Ideally, this hero escapes the Dungeon with the Orb and several heads made entirely and exclusively from rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bogart posted:

You start with a second head and you lose it on an otherwise lethal hit. Doing so puts you in a Heroism state for a one time get out of jail card, but afterwards, you need to put together a bunch of large stones and graft it onto your body as a new head. Ideally, this hero escapes the Dungeon with the Orb and several heads made entirely and exclusively from rocks.

octopodes but instead of ring slots it's heads