Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

My favorite think piece on Us by The Root

The Root continues to suck pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

T-man posted:

Episode number comrade?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a chapo ep about 227?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Henchman of Santa posted:

If anyone subscribes to the Current Affairs Patreon, they have an interview with Virgil up.

Apparently the episode they lost was one where they read Dan Nainan's failed TV pilot.

Is there a black wolf feed for current affairs

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

CaptainJuan posted:

Is there a black wolf feed for current affairs

dm me, unless you're a booj chapo patreon subscriber

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Now that we're asking, any black wolf feeds for QAnon Anonymous, Antifada and Citations Needed? Asking for a friend. Who isn't me.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also Trillbillies

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lmao someone registered Felix as a presidential candidate (repping the Veterans Party) with the FEC.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

KirbyKhan posted:

My favorite think piece on Us by The Root

This is so dumb, US is like Brecht levels of facing the camera and saying ‘This is a metaphor for Class’

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Pirating obscure leftist podcasts to own the libs

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

selec posted:

Ah yes, the classic “dumbshit insists Old Man And The Sea is just about fishing and nothing else” take we got in high school.
To be fair, the "This is what the White Russian in The Big Lebowski represents" school of criticism is infinitely more high school.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I'm admittedly a little on the spectrum but I think every critical paper I wrote in high school English and probably into freshman year of college was firmly in the "this represents that" tradition.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, the "This is what the White Russian in The Big Lebowski represents" school of criticism is infinitely more high school.

Having to write like 3 different "The colors in Great Gatsby and what they signify" essays in high school destroyed my interest in literary critique, it's all a bunch of fart sniffing.

Just read books and enjoy them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Symbolism is a thing, but there's a lot more to it than "The pickle dish in Silas Marner symbolizes X."

Are you listening, Mrs. Curry? Naturalism is boring!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Michael Tracey continues to have the worst takes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mtracey/status/1113449329065435138

Update:

https://mobile.twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1113482413986840576

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 3, 2019

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

big boi posted:

Pirating obscure leftist podcasts to own the libs

In a more just world, Citations Needed would not be obscure.

Of course in a fully just world, it would not need to exist, either.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I :love: crime personally, especially internet crime

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tracey is a hack who seems to be moving more to the right every day

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tracey is a hack who seems to be moving more to the right every day

I mean, he always started out libertarian/conservative but thinking gay people are ok and drug war is bad, not much of a move so much as it is he's too dumb to keep the scam up while he's trying to take an unearned victory lap

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1113544848102100992?s=19

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
respect ur future president, mr butt

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/TravisMannon/status/1113563501564395526

selec
Sep 6, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Having to write like 3 different "The colors in Great Gatsby and what they signify" essays in high school destroyed my interest in literary critique, it's all a bunch of fart sniffing.

Just read books and enjoy them.

I can’t imagine reading like...the entire genre of science fiction, for instance, with this attitude.

It’s like thinking Get Out had no relevance in the cultural moment and was just what it was on the surface. You’re enjoying half the movie at that point.

That Root piece is especially dumb considering Peele has said explicitly that he is meticulous about what is in every shot; if you believe that symbolism or resonances with/references to other works and the culture in which the work is being produced is irrelevant than all that he’s admitting is he’s an OCD production designer, rather than a craftsman trying to make work that is effective at many levels.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

C.S. Lewis was right about The Inner Ring

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Maybe he’s presenting it in a lovely way, but every Chapo would probably agree. Point out that Biden is poo poo when it comes to school loans, etc. It’s a post-Trump, post-Kavanaugh world. It’s lovely but it’s not Biden’s main moral failure.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
At least it's shattering the years of cool Uncle Biden that The Onion built up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Boywhiz88 posted:

Maybe he’s presenting it in a lovely way, but every Chapo would probably agree. Point out that Biden is poo poo when it comes to school loans, etc. It’s a post-Trump, post-Kavanaugh world. It’s lovely but it’s not Biden’s main moral failure.

Except he's running for the Democrat nomination. We all know that Democrats are bad, but I still like to think that one way they're better than Republicans is that a solid majority or Democrats are actually opposed to sexual assault and harassment.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gripweed posted:

Except he's running for the Democrat nomination. We all know that Democrats are bad, but I still like to think that one way they're better than Republicans is that a solid majority or Democrats are actually opposed to sexual assault and harassment.

Why would you think this? What in our history of politics has lead you to believe this.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gripweed posted:

Ask Kirsten Gillibrand how that’s working out for her.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Amber literally explicitly agrees - Glenn greenwald tweeted part of a conversation he had with her and she said gently caress the #metoo thing, focus on policy

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I definitely think Biden being gross is a bad thing and in a more reasonable world maybe it would mean something, but also establishment democrats will overlook literally any sin if it means they have a chance to beat back the Vile Traitor, Bernard Sanders

Serf
May 5, 2011

gently caress that tracey take. defeat biden by whatever means necessary

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ask Kirsten Gillibrand how that’s working out for her.

Gillibrand doesn't have anything to recommend her. If she was an interesting candidate in literally any way then the Fraken-die-hards wouldn't matter. But she's not so the only reason any one has to talk about her is if they're still mad about Franken

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gripweed posted:

Gillibrand doesn't have anything to recommend her. If she was an interesting candidate in literally any way then the Fraken-die-hards wouldn't matter. But she's not so the only reason any one has to talk about her is if they're still mad about Franken

It’s just funny that she’s gotten pretty much no party backing specifically because of probably the only principled and admirable act of her political career. Like Amy Klobuchar has had a more successful campaign thus far which is kinda wild.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we should call out Biden being a creep just because it's yet another addition to the pile labeled 'rich and powerful people are loving freaks and treat others like poo poo' and the defense of 'aw gee I'm just a touchy guy' is hilarious when there's zero proof of him being 'touchy' with literally anyone but women, but that's more a cherry on the cake than the focus of why you shouldn't vote biden. He's an evil sack of poo poo who also happens to be a handsy old perv.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I knew I was passing when men got really touchy and started talking over me. It's great.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

selec posted:

I can’t imagine reading like...the entire genre of science fiction, for instance, with this attitude.

It’s like thinking Get Out had no relevance in the cultural moment and was just what it was on the surface. You’re enjoying half the movie at that point.

That Root piece is especially dumb considering Peele has said explicitly that he is meticulous about what is in every shot; if you believe that symbolism or resonances with/references to other works and the culture in which the work is being produced is irrelevant than all that he’s admitting is he’s an OCD production designer, rather than a craftsman trying to make work that is effective at many levels.

No, I'm literally just talking about the dumb poo poo like "the green curtains symbolize greed" not the entire concept of themes or motifs or deeper meaning in a work. I'm not saying turn your brain off, I'm saying don't get up your own rear end trying to find meaning where there is none, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, no matter what color it is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Biden is garbage and if you think the worst thing about him is that he sniffs little girl's' hair then you're an absolute moron. Dude sucks.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

tracey is great because despite being one of who even knows how many non-mainstream figures who was basically right about the russia hysteria he thinks it makes him some kind of uniquely insightful genius and people laughing at him for that has sparked a like two-week-and-counting slow meltdown

also he gets real mad about how many people keep reminding him of all the many times he's been on tucker carlson's white power hour

also also he got belly-to-back suplexed through a table by maxine waters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Biden is garbage and if you think the worst thing about him is that he sniffs little girl's' hair then you're an absolute moron. Dude sucks.

Who ever said it was the worst thing? Besides I guess the libs on Twitter who probably don't have anything else bad to say about him, everyone else doesn't want him nominated for many reasons.