Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is there a joke in the poll?
This poll is closed.
Nope 12 8.16%
Nothing 10 6.80%
Sorry 18 12.24%
Bowsette 107 72.79%
Total: 147 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I can not remember the game but there was one where I felt completely loving badass for beating it on hard and then I read online that there was a well known bug where loading a save set the difficulty back to easy

the original xcom. even better, since everyone complained that the game was so incredibly easy even on the hardest difficulty, while working on the sequel the developers overtuned everything to be much more difficult, they themselves unaware of "the game goes back to super easy every time you load a save" bug. enter: terror from the deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowcaster posted:

the original xcom. even better, since everyone complained that the game was so incredibly easy even on the hardest difficulty, while working on the sequel the developers overtuned everything to be much more difficult, they themselves unaware of "the game goes back to super easy every time you load a save" bug. enter: terror from the deep.

lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think adaptive settings are a pretty cool idea because it's hard to design granular difficulties that can encompass a rewarding experience for everyone but maybe designers can program a system that will better individualize that experience based upon how well they're doing so that they're never too weak or too powerful.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

beep by grandpa posted:

I had a huge problem with dmc5 which is an otherwise perfect action game with its handling of death. I have great memories of dick slamming through tough as poo poo final bosses (Senator Armstrong, Anubis, Orphan of Kos, etc) and dmc5's final bosses were a big challenge and epic but ended up feeling completely lame to me in the end cause of the lack of a "restart from checkpoint?" option. Your only alternative to resuming the fight essentially for free is to select "give up" which quits out to the main menu.

Like,I wanted the opportunity to dickslam the boss and get better and fail and improve but I didn't want to spend 2 minutes loving around in menus to do it so I ended up just using gold orbs. Totally soured my experience since I didn't just have a retry button :/

If you quit to menu can you restart from a checkpoint? I have played about half of it but don't remember the options available.

Devil May Cry 1's mission system is weird because the game will give you yellow orbs that let you continue from that exact moment, but the game doesn't give you an option of not using them. If you don't press the button to use one the game just stays on that screen until you do. To avoid using a yellow orb you end up having to use one, then go into the menu and reset the game and load the save from before you used it. You can also take advantage of the weird save system regarding the Secret Missions by opening the save/reset menu and saving after completing one. I never bothered with them when I played years ago on the ps2 because I thought I had to beat the secret mission and then complete the stage without screwing up in order to save.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Terror from the Deep wraps around to being hilariously mean, but it's not the worst example of what can happen if you take the git gudboys at their word. The difficulty bug just makes it extra funny.

I think the first time I tried it I had half the ship blown up with a grenade on reaction to my very first move, then gave up the campaign when a whole team died trying to root one alien out of a hut.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I remember reading about Max Payne's adaptive difficulty and then I realized why the game seemed to get insane by the end. That game increases enemy accuracy more and more the longer you've played without dying. If you're playing on pc and abusing quicksaves then the enemies become incredibly accurate. If you die and resume, the games difficulty evens out and enemies don't have robocop accuracy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jolo posted:

I remember reading about Max Payne's adaptive difficulty and then I realized why the game seemed to get insane by the end. That game increases enemy accuracy more and more the longer you've played without dying. If you're playing on pc and abusing quicksaves then the enemies become incredibly accurate. If you die and resume, the games difficulty evens out and enemies don't have robocop accuracy.

*me remembering swearing at the last few levels of Max Payne* ohhhhhhhhh

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Adaptive difficulty is fine as long as you can turn it off, forced rubberbanding I'm not a fan of.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jolo posted:

ahajjxfjdueu8273ud

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I still like the granularity of the difficulty options in Tales of Berseria. On the hardest level you're getting tons of items but basically can't use healing spells and get barely any XP, and on the easiest the game just disables affinities so now you can use water attacks on water monsters all you want and you're getting tons of experience.

The Colonel posted:

i spent fifty dollars on yooka-laylee and i still regret it

i bought third birthday on release

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

Adaptive difficulty is fine as long as you can turn it off, forced rubberbanding I'm not a fan of.

Well at least with Uncharted no one even noticed it was there until a programmer said that it was in the game. It's very subtle about it apparently.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

ahajjxfjdueu8273ud

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

hahaha, right?

I think probably 90% of people who played those games just quickloaded over and over and made the game incredibly difficult. I definitely did.

I figure many of you have seen this, but in case you haven't, here's Mark Brown's vid about Resident Evil 4's adaptive difficulty: (He mentions Max Payne in here briefly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFv6KAdQ5SE

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

It's great in RE4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think adaptive difficulty, if perfectly done, would not even be noticeable to the player unless they were deliberately attempting to figure out the underlying mechanics by suiciding a whole bunch or w/e. Most people didn't know about RE4's adaptive settings for years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
these days trusting game difficulty to the AI makes me think of the enemy attacks all changing to like Ben Shapiro videos flying at me or some poo poo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best hard difficulty is where you kill enemies in one/two hits but they do the same to you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

the best hard difficulty is where you kill enemies in one/two hits but they do the same to you

crucially important is that you can respawn/reset the level instantaneously imho

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

these days trusting game difficulty to the AI makes me think of the enemy attacks all changing to like Ben Shapiro videos flying at me or some poo poo

Doing too well at DMC5 and the soundtrack shifts to Train's Hey Soul Sister to fluster you. "I can't slay demons to this! gently caress off!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Didn't Crash Bandicoot have that kind of thing or am I thinking of something else

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love easy difficulties!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jolo posted:

Doing too well at DMC5 and the soundtrack shifts to Train's Hey Soul Sister to fluster you. "I can't slay demons to this! gently caress off!"

Is there anything that inspires everybody in the car to unanimously rush to change the station faster than a Train song.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

oddium posted:

Once again WET proves to be Bethesda's only good game. Checkmate nerds.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Cowcaster posted:

crucially important is that you can respawn/reset the level instantaneously imho

Yeah maybe more that anything hard games need absolutely minimal time between iterations

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

Is there anything that inspires everybody in the car to unanimously rush to change the station faster than a Train song.

That song that starts Hey there Delilah that I've never heard more than those three words of because everyone changes it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I need a little bit of downtime in between deaths to reflect upon the various failures in life that brought me to this point.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

Agreed, my fav thing about celeste and super meat boy was this. Gave me full freedom to try out any wacky poo poo I could think of to see if it worked.

On the flipside LOONG corpseruns to redo boss fights in souls games are the worst. Doesn't inspire me to do better if my time is just being wasted for no reason. If I know I have to now spend 3 more minutes of my life doing nothing cause a strategy I wanted to try didn't work and I died 5 seconds in that makes me want to stop playing

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 4, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the irony of sekiro removing corpse runs by implementing the actually worse penalty of straight up losing half your cash/current exp with no chance of recovery on death is a thing i've thought about a lot, to be sure

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I think some downtime is important depending on the game, if every game had Super Meat Boy/Hotline Miami pace (which is great in those game and games that are about keeping an intense pace in general) I feel like it'd get exhausting pretty fast.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i honestly don't like the "ultra hard but you restart fast" thing because it's like the type of thing where instead of getting better at the game it's more about replaying until you get one perfect run, which isn't the type of mastery i really like in a game. it's why i didn't like Meat Boy, half the time I beat a tough level it just felt like I got lucky

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

the irony of sekiro removing corpse runs by implementing the actually worse penalty of straight up losing half your cash/current exp with no chance of recovery on death is a thing i've thought about a lot, to be sure

Losing gold is way better than corpse runs because it doesn't waste your time

May 8, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

If they don't take your money then you might have cash to burn on the straight up bad implementation of spirit emblems

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

Losing gold is way better than corpse runs because it doesn't waste your time

it still wastes your time but in a different way

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

it still wastes your time but in a different way

It really didn't do that for me since I didn't really have gold problems. Like maybe I had to wait a bit longer to afford something at a shop a couple of times.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bring back lives and game overs and waste our time like it's 1988

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

It really didn't do that for me since I didn't really have gold problems. Like maybe I had to wait a bit longer to afford something at a shop a couple of times.

how far up the prosthetics upgrade trees did you end up going?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the wise Feels Villeneuve says: if repeating sections in a game is unpleasant, the solution is to make those sections engaging to play repeatedly

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Actually my platform is that video game downtime (in moderation!) is underrated in general in this hell society of maximizing efficiency at all times where even one's limited leisure time comes with constant pressure of not wanting for any of it to go to "waste".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

how far up the prosthetics upgrade trees did you end up going?

Pretty high. I finished one (since I didn't have more of the rarest stuff) but got all of them where I wanted.

I usually banked up my gold by buying gold pouches from the various merchants when I could.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i am mainly joking but i think that a lot of "convenience" options like "skip all the puzzles" mode is really a crutch for bad design (i.e. it was easier to do that than design "game puzzles that dont suck rear end")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

patch the dark souls games to let you play galaga between deaths

clearing a wave gives you and everyone on your server an estus