Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

I need a Tablet for work. They newer keyboard accessory look pretty nice for the ipads. Price wise the new 10.5" Ipad Air's are roughly the same as last years 10.5" Ipad Pro. Anyone have a preference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unless the 120 Hz screen on the Pro sounds really appealing to you, I'd go with the Air.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I’m replacing a 3rd gen iPad that’s on its last legs. I pretty much just use it for streaming video and web content with the occasional PDF.

I’m looking at either the 6th gen IPad or the Air to replace it. The 6th gen is on sale on Amazon right now - am I missing out on much by not getting the Air? For what I do the gen6 seems to about cover it, and given that I never filled up the storage on this old one I’m leaning towards the 32GB model (it’s a shame there’s no 64GB or I might spring for that).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Got a bit of a hardware + software request. I am looking for a laptop/tablet hybrid for use with work presentations.

It needs to have HDMI out, to mirror the screen onto a tv, and it also needs a pen/stylus so I can draw over it.
I also need a piece of software that allows me to scroll through a pdf, zoom & pan around it, but also draw notes over the top of it which remain in place and can be exported baked into the pdf after the meeting.

Often what happens when showing a normal presentation to a large meeting is that a few people will have comments and feedback, and we'll discuss with each, but some of them wont listen to each other properly and end up surprised when we come to the next meeting with changes that they 'didnt know' we were going to make. Now instead of standing in front of a tv and pointing / talking, I want to draw directly over the presentation and give everyone that attended a copy of the exact notes my team will be using.

I'm leaning towards a surface pro for the hardware, but what pdf software can handle this? And is a surface pro the best choice? A friend has one and said it's the single worst computer he's ever owned, but I dont know what else is out there that is portable with a pen and hdmi out.
Thanks in advance!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Any 2-in-1 convertible laptop should be capable of doing the job, their stylus support isn't as developed as Microsoft's but for handwriting it's not like you need pressure precision or anything. As far as software goes, just use anything that supports annotating? Unless you absolutely have to have the window UI hidden or something.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Not sure how common annotating is where it can stay on the PDF and get exported at the end. I've never done this and didn't want to spend half a day trying every PDF viewer I can Google only to find that some are lovely at it or run slowly.

Edit: I just read an article going over the 20 'best' 2 in 1's. I'm no better off, I just want someone to recommend a computer I can tell my boss to buy which will definitely not choke on a large PDF.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 3, 2019

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Annotating back to a PDF is incredibly common. Adobe Acrobat Reader can do it out of the box.

I wouldn't use "any 2-in-1 convertible laptop", though. The resolution on most ordinary touchscreens is awful, because they're optimized for cost, big onscreen buttons, and big gestures.You need a dedicated stylus input system if you want a good experience with writing that doesn't feel like finger painting or using a jumbo sharpie on an ordinary sheet of paper.

The Surface Hub is exactly what you'd want to use here, but the cost and portability probably put it out of the running.

The Surface Pro is fine, unless you're expecting a touch-first-and-only tablet or a full desktop replacement. An iPad Pro with USB-C would also do great; it'd come down to personal preference and maybe a couple hundred bucks difference, which is nothing in conference room system land. The minimum-cost viable option is probably a regular current-gen iPad with an HDMI output adapter and the Apple stylus.

e: for software recommendations, Drawboard on Microsoft hardware, iAnnotate or PDF Expert on iOS. Performance shouldn't be a concern unless you're cranking out huge hidpi images-of-text, which will choke out on any software/platform combo.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 3, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thank you! that's really helpful. Maybe the surface hub is an option for when we're important enough that clients come to us...

Adobe acrobat runs incredibly slowly and crashes often just viewing 20mb pdf's on my $3500 workstation with 128gb of ram, I was under the impression it's totally worthless on windows machines.
Doing actual work on this machine would be limited to writing emails while flying.
I also didn't know that you could do a hdmi out with an ipadpro, our CEO has one so that makes it a pretty easy one to test. I wonder if a microsoft store will let me test this before buying one too.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

cubicle gangster posted:

Thank you! that's really helpful. Maybe the surface hub is an option for when we're important enough that clients come to us...

Adobe acrobat runs incredibly slowly and crashes often just viewing 20mb pdf's on my $3500 workstation with 128gb of ram, I was under the impression it's totally worthless on windows machines.
Doing actual work on this machine would be limited to writing emails while flying.
I also didn't know that you could do a hdmi out with an ipadpro, our CEO has one so that makes it a pretty easy one to test. I wonder if a microsoft store will let me test this before buying one too.

As far as I understand, MS Stores dont have a restocking fee soooo

isndl
May 2, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

I wouldn't use "any 2-in-1 convertible laptop", though. The resolution on most ordinary touchscreens is awful, because they're optimized for cost, big onscreen buttons, and big gestures.You need a dedicated stylus input system if you want a good experience with writing that doesn't feel like finger painting or using a jumbo sharpie on an ordinary sheet of paper.

This is more of a preference point in my opinion - you can buy the cheap 1k convertible and have lower quality build or spend 2k on the fancy model with the 4k display, whatever you want. I think just about every convertible comes with stylus support though not necessarily bundled with the device, the higher end models definitely do at least.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I need a tablet

Is either IPX7 waterproof on its own, or (more likely) has a waterproof case
Charges via USB-C
7-10" display

Under $325, preferably under $200

I looked at the iPad Pro but they start at $800 and the case is another $80, and the non pro line uses the legacy lightning adapter still so that is out as USB-C is a hard requirement

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Usb-C was a hard req for me too and boy do I regret that

Pigeon holed into over priced garbage

If I could do it again I would just own an iPad :shrug:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Usb-C was a hard req for me too and boy do I regret that

Pigeon holed into over priced garbage

If I could do it again I would just own an iPad :shrug:

The latest iPad Pros have USB-C, but the $800 price tag is a little hard to swallow as it's supposed to be a remote display for a $700 device. At that point I can just install a second hardwired device in my cockpit

Probably what I'll end up doing is pulling some old crappy Android tablets out of cold storage and use those for a year until the refurbished market for iPad Pro gets established and then buy in at that point

I think we even have an old first gen iPad floating around from my mother in law but I'm pretty loathe to introduce another cable type onto my boat. Charging cables only last about one year in saltwater environments.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I use my own tablets for (ocean) boating and as a smart component on an otherwise stupid pickup truck and trust me , I had the identical process re: cords. My phones and laptops are all usb c

The tablet offerings are THAT slim that I still regret my choice. Legit wish I had just grabbed iPad then grabbed lightning cables off Slickdeals as needed

Mind you I don't even like iOS or anything :shrug:

E: though I do have an iPad pro for work and tbh.. it's pretty nice

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

I use my own tablets for (ocean) boating

Legit wish I had just grabbed iPad then grabbed lightning cables off Slickdeals as needed

Mind you I don't even like iOS or anything :shrug:

Ok you may have convinced me then. How long have you been loving about with tablets on boats for?

Prepping to do a 100 mile costal passage with from San Francisco, and if that goes well, 400 mile ocean voyage, and then if that goes well we're headed to Hawaii next summer.

I bought a garbage class $100 10" Android tablet with GPS two years ago that can load navionics but has a frame rate of 0 unless you're actively pinch zooming in which case it mostly works but that's obviously not a permanent solution. Also its not waterproof and is probably best used as a boat anchor.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Since the first gen iPad was new and cool, I grew up on the ocean :shrug:

The other ocean though, maybe salt watah isn't as corrosive as salt water

E: my cords don't last long anyway so that could contribute

Prior to that it was thinkpads

Worf fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 5, 2019

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Whats the cheapest android tablet you can get easily in Australia that will stream videos over wifi?

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Can anyone help me figure out what to buy for my web app/website development?

I'm developing something that needs to work on both mobile and tablets. Getting it to be responsive is no problem, but I know that the potential users will love the ability to be able to use tablets with styluses to take notes directly into the software. I have people lined up to demo it when it's done, but this feature is a late add in. I'm trying to find a tablet, or even a "2-in1" that has very good dedicated stylus support like samsung does with their S Pen so I can build out this feature. I don't need the tablet for gaming or browsing or whatever, but when I demo I want to be able to show them how simple it is to do the note taking on the tablet, then switch to something where the tablet can attach to a keyboard and then can then use it like a desktop app without missing a beat(so someone needs to make a keyboard cover for it).

I was thinking about getting a S3 or a S4, but wasn't sure.The s3 and s4 are on sale right now for $400 and $530. That's kinda expensive, but doable. Ideally I wouldn't have to spend so much on something i'm only using for a personal/work project so I thought i'd ask in here if anyone can recommend me something. Also, I need something that's not some POS. I'm gonna be working with this thing a lot over the next couple of weeks so I dont want some cheap old thing that's really slow. I do need something thats easily available as well.

In case anyone is wondering, I've already found a well done handwriting recognition API that does all the heavy lifting for me that will be fine to use for demo purposes and dont have to build my own one yet (hopefully not for a long time). So this feature shouldn't take me very long to implement because there is enough open source stuff to support it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I have a technical question about side loading the Google Play Store onto a Kindle Fire. I'm now up to three apps dying on Kindle/native Amazon app store support and that doesn't include a bunch of other streaming services flat out never having been supported.

I'm not going to bother side loading on my current Fire because it's an HDX7 and I don't want to bother rooting when it's already old. But with regards to what I get for my next tablet, pretty sure a Kindle is still my best bet because basically what I want is a cheap, handheld streaming machine I can use on the go and I also like using it as a reader, having in-built Audible support, etc.

So I have a two part question: am I correct in understanding that side loading the Google Play store essentially turns the Fire into an Android in terms of what is usable? Does everything still update properly? And the second part of the question is does side loading gently caress with any of the native features?

If it doesn't work how I'm assuming, I'm gonna need some other recs, because Jesus Christ Amazon.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I have a two part question: am I correct in understanding that side loading the Google Play store essentially turns the Fire into an Android in terms of what is usable?

Yes, but be aware that Fire HD 10's and Fire 7's are stuck on Android Lollipop and many newer apps won't be accessible in the Google Play store because of it

The current-gen Fire HD 8 has Nougat

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

Yes, but be aware that Fire HD 10's and Fire 7's are stuck on Android Lollipop and many newer apps won't be accessible in the Google Play store because of it

The current-gen Fire HD 8 has Nougat

I was planning on going 8, so I'd be good, correct?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wait you don't have to root your Kindle to sideload Google app store? This changes everything.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Wait you don't have to root your Kindle to sideload Google app store? This changes everything.

Not current ones. I'd need to root my HDX7 only because it's old as gently caress.

Current ones you don't need to root.

You can even do it from the Kindle web browser. You don't even need to plug them into a computer. At least not last time I checked a tutorial a few months ago.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I was planning on going 8, so I'd be good, correct?

Correct

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Not sure if a tablet is appropriate or if I might like a laptop better. Initially, I think of some kind of windows or chrome laptop/tablet hybrid but maybe there something else?

I'd like something I can physically write notes on so I can reference them later.

When taking classes, I write virtually everything my professor says and all the examples. When I work through a textbook, I take notes on key concepts and work through examples.

Except I do it all on paper. I have tons and tons of college-ruled, 70-page notebooks that get damaged, dirty, lost, etc.

Each notebook is for one subject, and every time I start taking notes, I put in the date, so I can keep a rough idea of when they were taken.

Is there a good digital equivalent? I want to be able to take notes and find them later with minimal fussing and organizing. I'm tired of paper.

Ideally would be some kind of electronic surface with an electronic pen. Are any good and worth using nowadays?

It would be super cool if I could actually use it as a laptop to do some coding, too.

Also, I don't mind spending like $600-1500. I would need to be talked into anything more expensive than that if it's really worth it.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 11, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Check out the reMarkable e-ink tablet, it might fit the bill. You'll need a laptop in addition to it, though.

Another alternative might be one of those convertible laptops or a surface pro.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oliveoil posted:

Not sure if a tablet is appropriate or if I might like a laptop better. Initially, I think of some kind of windows or chrome laptop/tablet hybrid but maybe there something else?

I'd like something I can physically write notes on so I can reference them later.

When taking classes, I write virtually everything my professor says and all the examples. When I work through a textbook, I take notes on key concepts and work through examples.

Except I do it all on paper. I have tons and tons of college-ruled, 70-page notebooks that get damaged, dirty, lost, etc.

Each notebook is for one subject, and every time I start taking notes, I put in the date, so I can keep a rough idea of when they were taken.

Is there a good digital equivalent? I want to be able to take notes and find them later with minimal fussing and organizing. I'm tired of paper.

Ideally would be some kind of electronic surface with an electronic pen. Are any good and worth using nowadays?

It would be super cool if I could actually use it as a laptop to do some coding, too.

Also, I don't mind spending like $600-1500. I would need to be talked into anything more expensive than that if it's really worth it.
An iPad with a keyboard, Pencil and MS OneNote would probably work well for you. With that budget you can get pretty much any model you want.

isndl
May 2, 2012
OneNote is free and does what you want from your notes app so that's an easy choice. What device to get will depend on what else you plan on doing with your tablet, do you think you ever want a hardware keyboard to go with it? What other apps do you expect to run on it? How big of a display do you want, is something small fine or do you want something that approximates the experience of writing in an A4 notebook?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is the fireHD tablet 8 good for playing MTG: Arena, Instagram, maybe discord, and some basic web browsing?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

always be closing posted:

Is the fireHD tablet 8 good for playing MTG: Arena, Instagram, maybe discord, and some basic web browsing?

There's not an official MTG Arena app for Android yet, I think

It has 2MP front-facing and rear-facing cameras, so Instagram photos might not turn out too hot

Everything else should be fine

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Does anyone really take pictures with a tablet? I understand the front facing camera for video chat, but I have never used mine to take actual photos.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ocr

bouncers for IDs

etc

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ah yes, I was thinking strictly holding up a big tablet to take a picture of your Starbucks or whatever people do.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've seen people hold up tablets in the air at events like rallies or speeches to record it rather than using a cell phone like a reasonable human being.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
That is a perfect example of horrible humans.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moey posted:

That is a perfect example of horrible humans.

The only exception I've seen and accept is old people who have flip-phones and use an iPad to film a wedding because it's the best camera they have

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

There's not an official MTG Arena app for Android yet, I think

It has 2MP front-facing and rear-facing cameras, so Instagram photos might not turn out too hot

Everything else should be fine

You're right, I guess it's a steam link, gotta read up on that. Thanks for the reply. Not worried about taking pics, just browsing.

For $80 seems like a good deal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Not current ones. I'd need to root my HDX7 only because it's old as gently caress.

Current ones you don't need to root.

You can even do it from the Kindle web browser. You don't even need to plug them into a computer. At least not last time I checked a tutorial a few months ago.

This is fantastic I've been looking for a tablet to mirror some stuff on my boat but it needs to be downloaded via the play app store. The kids edition comes with a two year break it and we'll replace it Warranty and big boat proof corner bumpers

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
I'm looking for a cheap, lightweight, laptop form-factor Android device for taking out into the field and logging radio contacts.

As for requirements, it needs to be able to charge off of 5V USB, have a good interface for file management, and be able to quickly switch back and forth between images, PDFs, and a word processor.

Does a device like that even exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Walmart just announced a device like that for $100 today or yesterday

Edit: "Walmart onn 10.1"

Two Ns for a double dose of new netbook

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 23, 2019