Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have some nostalgia for the original SimCity on SNES but none for SimCity 2000 because I got to it after the nostalgia-forming age of early childhood

The best management sim is Rollercoaster Tycoon tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this alone justified simcity 3000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Ad by Khad posted:

I really enjoyed sc2k and played it for years but then something happened and I don't think I ever played it again after that

I had a very large city with a lot of space arcologies and then I placed another space arcology and I hit some kind of threshold where the game froze up and started playing the demolish sound effect over and over again

The arcologies were supposed to be launching off into space or some poo poo and I watched in horror as every single one of my arcologies poofed, one by one by one by one

The entire process took about 15 minutes, and when it was over my city was absolutely hosed and I dunno I guess I beat the game or something

Yeah that's the "secret" win condition of SimCity 2k, plant enough space arcologies to launch them to space. Congrats.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

*announcer voice* coming this summer...

...Charts

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Hammerite posted:

I have some nostalgia for the original SimCity on SNES but none for SimCity 2000 because I got to it after the nostalgia-forming age of early childhood

reading this post made me hear the scream sound effect. you know the one.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Played the super nintendo one a lot. The crisis music is pretty haunting. Also whenever I was making buildings but forget to set up the water system, I always imagined all these office buildings and homes with no running water and everyone's dying of thirst.

Mooey Cow posted:

I built all my ideas for cities in SimCity 3000 and have had literally zero interest in playing another simcity-em-up since. Guess I'm just done building cities, you know?

Same with The Sims. Played the gently caress outta that game, but then it was like "nah I'm done now", and they release a new The Sims 52 or whatever, and it's like "okay what's different? You can make the heads big now. Okay. Nah I'm still good" I say to the EA sales person standing with their foot in my door.

I played this a few months ago. When my city's coal factory was getting close to expiring I made a big project of creating waterfalls then making dams. I used the emulator's speed up mechanic to make time go faster since I had to wait something like a year to make a single dam based on the money coming in. I wanted to make enough dams to put out the same power as the coal plant, which takes something like 10-20 dams. By the time I got around to making the 8th I was all, "......yeah I'm done I think."

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ad by Khad posted:

reading this post made me hear the scream sound effect. you know the one.

i don't think any of the screams from rct were that memorable tbh? so no i do not

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

All I remember about theme park is making the food have insane levels of salt and all the drinks being entirely ice

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Ad by Khad posted:

I really enjoyed sc2k and played it for years but then something happened and I don't think I ever played it again after that

I had a very large city with a lot of space arcologies and then I placed another space arcology and I hit some kind of threshold where the game froze up and started playing the demolish sound effect over and over again

The arcologies were supposed to be launching off into space or some poo poo and I watched in horror as every single one of my arcologies poofed, one by one by one by one

The entire process took about 15 minutes, and when it was over my city was absolutely hosed and I dunno I guess I beat the game or something

It was a test of character. The slate was wiped clean and you failed to rebuild. May you forever live with regrets.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

buglord posted:

Why does Simcity 2000 have such disturbing music? It's so...dark? It makes me feel dead internally. I played it as a 4th grader (when SC3000 already existed) and gave it a hard pass after hearing it. I feel like I stepped into a dimly lit workplace office in the mid-late 80s, but as unborn me. eugh

I forgot what an awful MIDI soundtrack this game had, but I guess thats early 90s PC gaming.

Track 3 here is particularly grim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9fFF68ml0&t=174s

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I remember using ICQ to arrange games of Sim City 2000 Network Edition.

I upgraded my CPU to play Cities Skylines.

If you like trains, check out Railway Empire.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
whats the deal with military bases? why would they never develop?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Private Cumshoe posted:

whats the deal with military bases? why would they never develop?

I think that's a population thing, you have to reach a certain amount.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I like SimCity 2000 a lot and I still love how it looks. I think it aged very gracefully but drat its soundtrack is very mediocre. 3000 and 4 are way superior in that department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV5HC6Hw0qQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I86TfGM2OIA

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Jose posted:

All I remember about theme park is making the food have insane levels of salt and all the drinks being entirely ice

This is exactly like real life.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

And Rollercoaster Tycoon was written by the same man who created Transport Tycoon.

He has that magic for creating interesting interactive simulation games that Sim City never brought to the table. Transport Tycoon was so popular, the community created OpenTTD, so it could fix bugs and make the game easier to build train networks.

I'll also check out Railway Empire.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is why video games are stupid

Why play a game about making a city instead of going out and making your own

Idiots gamers

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

defaultluser posted:

And Rollercoaster Tycoon was written by the same man who created Transport Tycoon.

He has that magic for creating interesting interactive simulation games that Sim City never brought to the table. Transport Tycoon was so popular, the community created OpenTTD, so it could fix bugs and make the game easier to build train networks.

He made a mobile transport tycoon a few years back which is poo poo but it had a cool remaster of the original soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFsrmLhC00

I sometimes listen to it when doing repetitive work :blush:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

defaultluser posted:

Heres a great article about RTC, its currently the 20th anniversary of the game. A couple of my coworkers were quoted in the article

https://www.theringer.com/2019/4/1/...iwRlm3sWRhsJslQ

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mooey Cow posted:

Same with The Sims. Played the gently caress outta that game, but then it was like "nah I'm done now", and they release a new The Sims 52 or whatever, and it's like "okay what's different? You can make the heads big now. Okay. Nah I'm still good" I say to the EA sales person standing with their foot in my door.

Yeah same here. I got the Sims experience from 5th-7th grade. Nothing in the series has really brought me back to stay. The whole thing feels really stagnant, especially when I see the Pets expansion has been released for the 4th time. I really wanna go back but every time I try it’s a resounding “I’ve done this before, but in slightly worse graphics”.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I grew up playing SC2K, and I shed literal tears when the SimCity 5 trailer dropped. What we ended up getting broke my heart :smith:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Super Waffle posted:

I grew up playing SC2K, and I shed literal tears when the SimCity 5 trailer dropped. What we ended up getting broke my heart :smith:

Haha

Simcity 2013 still makes me laugh

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Wicker Man posted:

The crisis music is pretty haunting.

But then you get to the bit with the jaunty beat and it almost makes the massive firestorm ripping across your city worth it.

RE the general SC series chat: SC4 was the best of and the end of the series as far as I'm concerned.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The only redeeming thing about Spore was that you run into the SC2000 flying saucer at the end. That and penis monsters.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i play a mean game of king arthurs kort

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Animal-Mother posted:

The only redeeming thing about Spore was that you run into the SC2000 flying saucer at the end. That and penis monsters.

i tried on three separate occasions to finish the space level and died of boredom all 3 times

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Cities Skylines is a super fun game but it loses its luster really fast once you realize how it scales difficulty and how to play around it. Also the progression ends pretty early on and it's just urban sprawl. Somebody should mod it to be better.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

lol if you don't enter the one million free dollars cheat code a bunch of times and put water and power everywhere so your city can grow without even loving trying

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Honky Dong Country posted:

I remember when I found out that you could just pay to add water to a slope tile and slap a hydro dam on it and basically have completely green energy forever and it was awesome.
https://i.imgur.com/K60AGty.mp4

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I'd actually kind of like to play Apex someday and Simcity 2013 is the reason I can't. Never the gently caress again, EA. Never.

Also Skylines is very good and some of the maps and mods for it that were made by goons are extreme good zone

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

SC2k's long forgotten companion piece that was so bad it was good:

I'm just a splatter, splatter, splatter on the windshield of life!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

streets of simcity is pretty far from "long forgotten", they even brought it back in sc4

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ad by Khad posted:

streets of simcity is pretty far from "long forgotten"
this guy who just woke up from his cryopod is right

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

you wont find a simcity thread on these forums, dating all the way back, that doesnt mention streets of simcity. maxis brought it back more than once for a reason

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Little kid me played SimCity 2000 a lot. It was over a year before I figured out you could hold down the mouse to get more functions on each button, and what zoning did. I'm not sure if what I did before that could even be called playing, but drat if I wasn't persistent.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I don't get why nobody is mentioning SimCopter though?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Negrostrike posted:

I don't get why nobody is mentioning SimCopter though?

I had Streets and Sim Copter and I didn't like how it meant my city got hosed up so my copter had something to do.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I was too young and stupid to figure out how to play simcity 2000. Mostly I just loaded the pre-made cities and destroyed them with natural disasters and fire. Any time I tried to build my own city the population would just sit at zero and I could never figure out why.

These days I spend hundreds of hours playing cities:skylines, because it's fuckin awesome.
My current city is so large and heavily modded that my computer struggles to run it. Think its over 30 tiles now and it has sick rear end train lines.
However I have so many ports and shipping needs due to my heavy road traffic restrictions so the ships are kind of backing up but it doesn't really effect the run of the city. It still grows like a horrible tumour on the land.
I have to zoom out so far to get the entire city that it's hard to even get an understanding of the scale.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8HW5agFwUY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I was too young and stupid to figure out how to play simcity 2000. Mostly I just loaded the pre-made cities and destroyed them with natural disasters and fire. Any time I tried to build my own city the population would just sit at zero and I could never figure out why.

These days I spend hundreds of hours playing cities:skylines, because it's fuckin awesome.
My current city is so large and heavily modded that my computer struggles to run it. Think its over 30 tiles now and it has sick rear end train lines.
However I have so many ports and shipping needs due to my heavy road traffic restrictions so the ships are kind of backing up but it doesn't really effect the run of the city. It still grows like a horrible tumour on the land.
I have to zoom out so far to get the entire city that it's hard to even get an understanding of the scale.

I've never played this game and who knows what I'm not understanding but this looks awesome and impressive as hell. That looks like a photo of a real city so props to the game as well.