Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

3m buffing compound is incredible if you can find it locally. Purple bottle stuff.

If there's one thing I learned from my inability to keep mirrors safe from parking garages, it's actually this.

In my defense it all happened when the I had just bought my current car and I was still used to driving my prelude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You don't even need buffing compound, that looks like plastic/rubber transfer and would come out with a microfiber and light elbow grease.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Take a quick piss on that, it’ll lick right off

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Brolander posted:

Take a quick piss on that, it’ll lick right off

I’m trying this one first

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/EybenFarms/status/1113808111595339776

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've seen less safe flatbed loads, honestly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Not that there's really a right way to pull that particular combination, but I feel like having the truck on the trailer is probably worse than if they had used one of the front wheel dolly rigs or towed it four-down. That way the fifth wheel's tongue weight would be directly on the truck axle to the road instead of basically turning the (presumably overloaded) middle trailer in to a teeter-totter that's trying to escape its ball hitch every time the rear trailer loads it up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What Uhaul should do is take that picture and plaster it all over their vans as a mural from hell with the tagline "Adventures in moving."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

What Uhaul should do is take that picture and plaster it all over their vans as a mural from hell with the tagline "Adventures in moving."

They could do a whole series.

A struggle and a glint of steel in a New Mexico IHOP parking lot.
Crossing the centre line in a fit of sleep deprivation.
Daughter gets caught looking up abortion clinics in the new town.
Spending all evening in a tire shop in Port Angeles WA because the DOT-illegal Chinese tires U-Haul slapped onto this thing delaminated.
Dad is done doing what the pigs want.
Mom falling through the dry-rotted front porch stairs of the new home.
Quick, which box did you pack Grandpa's pills in?!
The word "divorce" accidentally said out loud for the first time while gearing down to climb Donner Pass.
Finding out the first night that the new house is the start point for street racing tournaments.
Disapproving stares at the grocery store, their clique invaded.
Neighbours showing you the photos of the murder scene that used to be in your basement.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 5, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They could do a whole series.

A struggle and a glint of steel in a New Mexico IHOP parking lot.
Crossing the centre line in a fit of sleep deprivation.
Daughter gets caught looking up abortion clinics in the new town.
Spending all evening in a tire shop in Port Angeles WA because the DOT-illegal Chinese tires U-Haul slapped onto this thing delaminated.
Dad is done doing what the pigs want.
Mom falling through the dry-rotted front porch stairs of the new home.
Quick, which box did you pack Grandpa's pills in?!
The word "divorce" accidentally said out loud for the first time while gearing down to climb Donner Pass.
Finding out the first night that the new house is the start point for street racing tournaments.
Disapproving stares at the grocery store, their clique invaded.
Neighbours showing you the photos of the murder scene that used to be in your basement.

Heh, I crap on Uhaul but I will give credit when it is due. They aren't death traps mostly anymore. Of course now they are pulling more shenanigans to maximize margins.

A couple decades ago when you rented one you expected to be in a deathtrap from hell and hope to hell you knew how to mow through a manual truck gearbox with a granny gear. Then the headlights wouldn't work after you unloaded furniture and were beat to hell. They would get pissed off about it acting like it was some self-imposed inconvenience.

Rent a pickup? Play the game of filling the 5/32 fuel gauge they left you with back to that original amount in order to dodge a penalty. Last time I did that much math was in college.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
These are the people you share your Eurofighter with...

:gonk:

https://twitter.com/Jalopnik/status/1114215824951214080

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Chaos Convoy

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

No way, he had to have pushed something

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Solar Coaster posted:

No way, he had to have pushed something

Probably panicked and reached for something to hold onto during liftoff and grabbed the eject handle.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Probably panicked and reached for something to hold onto during liftoff and grabbed the eject handle.

And is now a good inch or two shorter for it. Jet ejection seats do not gently caress around and being in one is a good way to end up with a lifetime of back issues. They're designed to be more survivable than a jet crash and it turns out that being launched with enough force to compress the soft tissues in your spine is generally more safe than being in a speeding, out control ball of volatile jet fuel and unspent munitions. Being ejected at that speed also has the added bonus of getting you away from the disintegrating mess ASAP.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Alkydere posted:

And is now a good inch or two shorter for it. Jet ejection seats do not gently caress around and being in one is a good way to end up with a lifetime of back issues. They're designed to be more survivable than a jet crash and it turns out that being launched with enough force to compress the soft tissues in your spine is generally more safe than being in a speeding, out control ball of volatile jet fuel and unspent munitions. Being ejected at that speed also has the added bonus of getting you away from the disintegrating mess ASAP.

Well the dude was 64 so at least he doesn't have to live with it for THAT much longer.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
According to the Hitman reboot, he just survived an assassination attempt, because the ejector seat control should have been switched off and routed to the pilot's module

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

PT6A posted:

I look forward to someone used to a 6-speed making a 5-speed transmission poo poo itself after attempting to shift to R at highway speed :v:

I have a slight paranoia when driving a rental that this is precisely what I'll do, confuse the cars 6th with reverse at speed. Would the transmission allow to be shifted into reverse when going forward at speed?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dick Trauma posted:

That's clearly a Rafale :argh:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The article is about a Rafale. It's the goon who misidentified it as a Eurofighter

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have a slight paranoia when driving a rental that this is precisely what I'll do, confuse the cars 6th with reverse at speed. Would the transmission allow to be shifted into reverse when going forward at speed?

Most 6 speed cars either have a special thing you have to do to get into reverse (pull up a collar, push down the knob) or lock out reverse if you’re not going at it from 1st gear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Most 6 speed cars either have a special thing you have to do to get into reverse (pull up a collar, push down the knob) or lock out reverse if you’re not going at it from 1st gear.

This, and/or a solenoid locking it out at speed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I just want to thank the idiot that somehow scraped the corner of my front bumper and broke the corner lens (on the bumper) a few days ago that I only spotted today. Started my weekend off with a bang.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I just want to thank the idiot that somehow scraped the corner of my front bumper and broke the corner lens (on the bumper) a few days ago that I only spotted today. Started my weekend off with a bang.

Wife noticed a scuff and a divot on the rear bumper of her car the other day. No note of course, people are loving trash.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I don't even know where this car came from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiICHpvneis

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

xzzy posted:

Wife noticed a scuff and a divot on the rear bumper of her car the other day. No note of course, people are loving trash.

I have an unpopular opinion:

Bumpers should have a purpose other than being decorative. I'm not suggesting we go back to steel girders capping the ends of cars, but we had a whole decade plus in the late 80s-90s where bumpers could handle normal city parking scenarios and look good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's probably true, though I think with the attention given to aerodynamics and pedestrian safety the days of extruded bumpers are over.

But even if we still had old school chrome bumpers a decent human would still leave a note on the car they hit. :argh:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

xzzy posted:

That's probably true, though I think with the attention given to aerodynamics and pedestrian safety the days of extruded bumpers are over.

That and modern standards which require bumpers to absorb a 5mph impact without any real structural damage to the car.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
How about putting a thick plastidip or some other coating on the bumpers to protect them. I can also imagine the wailing about ugly bumpers if there were new 5mph regulation, even if the ugliness was unrelated to the rules.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone needs to designate car that looks good with unpainted plastic bumpers. What are they even paying designers for?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Old school cars did it better

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cockmaster posted:

That and modern standards which require bumpers to absorb a 5mph impact without any real structural damage to the car.

Structural is a loose term. Doesn't include cosmetic.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Those American style bumpers forced onto European cars look like complete garbage.

Except the ones on the Porsche 911

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

You Am I posted:

Those American style bumpers forced onto European cars look like complete garbage.

Except the ones on the Porsche 911

Makes it easier though when you spot a 944 and know right away based on the bumpers on whether it is a turbo or not.

e: Of course the most hideous ones were on the Countach.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 8, 2019

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I've determined I have an insane co-worker. Case in point, a couple weeks ago I was in my car over lunch, and I saw a coworker pull in, they sat in their car a bit, and then opened their door and slammed it hard into a new pickup beside them. This wasn't like a young teenager, this is an older lady, I would guess probably at least 60 or older, old enough that she should know better. Whatever, maybe it was an accident, except she didn't get out of the car or anything, just closed the door and stayed still. A little bit later she opened her door again, exactly the same really loud slam, except this time she got out and left their door rubbing on the pickup as she looked at the spot. She just kept staring for a bit, then closed her door and started rubbing the pickup with a Kleenex or something from her purse. Then she got right back in her car with another big slam, sat and waited a bit, then slammed into the pickup once more before going into work. Maybe accidents happen, maybe she really was just stupid and careless, but she slammed the side of the pickup hard 4 times and knew she caused damage and just didn't seem to care, but I don't know her name or the owner of the pickup so I assume she might have done the right thing.

Fast forward to yesterday, the second time I have ever seen this co-worker outside of the building. I had left work, I was sitting at a stop light, after a few seconds a car pulled up behind me. It was the door slam lady, and she started honking and flipping me off and waving her cell phone at me because she was going to take a picture of my license plate. I was just sitting at the light, never even saw her car on the road before, it was impossible that I could have done anything to piss her off by driving. She followed me through the light around the left turn, then passed me in the right lane while flipping me off before cutting in front of me and brake checking me. In a way, it feels good that I actually know where she works, I have no idea what her name is or what she does or anything, I only occasionally see her in the halls. The best part is I only have one more day at this job so I really don't care about her bat poo poo crazy behavior.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Some people are really just loving crazy and ready to snap at the nearest human being, which may unfortunately be you. Gotta shrug your shoulders and don't give in to their crazy as best you can.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The first day at my first job out of college, when my Fit was all of three days old, I parked at the rear end end of the lot, deliberately alone. I came out at the end of the day to find it still alone...aside from a Saturn with pop rivets holding both bumpers on. It was parked directly next to me. Sure enough, there was a down-to-the-primer ding on the driver's side door. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The first day at my first job out of college, when my Fit was all of three days old, I parked at the rear end end of the lot, deliberately alone. I came out at the end of the day to find it still alone...aside from a Saturn with pop rivets holding both bumpers on. It was parked directly next to me. Sure enough, there was a down-to-the-primer ding on the driver's side door. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Bring back stocks in the public square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I want to be woke and civilized, but I hate door dings so much. If I thought I could get away with it I'd vandalize the poo poo out of that car. Snap off mirrors, break the windshield, etc. It bothers me that I'm that primal over a material possession. Fortunately all my dings aren't so clear cut, I find them long after they happen. I did witness a teenager mildly sideswipe my previous beater, (paint transfer on trim and nothing more) but since it was a beater it didn't bother me. If it was my current non-beater car I'd run after them, screaming and ranting like a loony.