Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
like the roof

and looks like a hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

sneakyfrog posted:

so since I have to take the fist in to get the stupid blend door actuators fixed I was pondering bad car decisions, would it be more fun to do a full montune MRX turbo upgrade and put some big brakes on it for rocket go kart action,

As an entirely unbiased neutral party, hrmmmm yes definitely you should :D

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm still waiting for somebody ITT to give a trip report on the Veloster N

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Thanks!

I know it's not a "proper" hot hatch, but stop-go adaptive cruise control makes up for it.

That looks much nicer than I expected! Very cool.

Speaking of adaptive cruise control, does anyone know if there is as minimum speed required for that to work in a Golf R? I've read some cars don't work at 0-10 mph, dunno if that's true, though.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 4, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know specifically about the Golf R, but the last time I was in a VW, it would turn off adaptive cruise below a certain speed. Was annoying AF.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

FBS posted:

I'm still waiting for somebody ITT to give a trip report on the Veloster N

I've come danger close to making this poor financial decision but there hasn't been one nearby to test drive until recently and I've been too busy to test drive it

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Drove a mk7.5 Golf R today. That gauge cluster is kind of weird. I think it's the complete lack of depth when compared to traditional gauges. Outside of that, it was still a Golf R.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Speaking of adaptive cruise control, does anyone know if there is as minimum speed required for that to work in a Golf R? I've read some cars don't work at 0-10 mph, dunno if that's true, though.

Mine (2016 Mk7) works all the way down to 0 and will pull away by itself if the car in front moves within 3 seconds, else you have to tap the accelerator or RES button to tell it to carry on. It’s great in traffic jams :)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

JamesOff posted:

Mine (2016 Mk7) works all the way down to 0 and will pull away by itself if the car in front moves within 3 seconds, else you have to tap the accelerator or RES button to tell it to carry on. It’s great in traffic jams :)

I was going to post how much I want an R but couldn't justify the premium, but, uh, you may have just changed that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Got the fiesta out of the garage and drove it for the first time in months...man I missed this car.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
They are incredible machines for the price. Depreciation has absolutely destroyed them, there are a few with less than 40k near me for 12k.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

They are incredible machines for the price. Depreciation has absolutely destroyed them, there are a few with less than 40k near me for 12k.
My only regret with mine as I approach four years and 72,000 miles is buying it new. The mechanical bits (aside from the drat vent actuator, which just started doing its thing again this week as temperatures have warmed up) have proven to be both reliable and abuse-tolerant, so in hindsight I think a better plan would have been to buy a used one and put some of the money saved in to tires plus a tune.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Golfs are too drat fragile. I keep managing to gently caress up and having to take it to the body shop. Just this weekend I was backing up in a gravel lot and the car caught on basically nothing at all and destroyed half the bumper as it ripped all the body work forward. This is nine months after it went to the body shop after I brushed the same bumper against landscaping at my house. Yes, all my fault, but drat. None of this stuff would even have left a noticeable mark on my E36.

I keep waffling on whether or not I want to keep it long term. Turbo FWD with an open diff sucks poo poo and I can only fix half that equation with aftermarket parts. Combined with the fragility of the car and I'm just not sure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
try not running in to poo poo op

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also always buy the version that has a limited slip

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

revmoo posted:

Golfs are too drat fragile. I keep managing to gently caress up and having to take it to the body shop. Just this weekend I was backing up in a gravel lot and the car caught on basically nothing at all and destroyed half the bumper as it ripped all the body work forward. This is nine months after it went to the body shop after I brushed the same bumper against landscaping at my house. Yes, all my fault, but drat. None of this stuff would even have left a noticeable mark on my E36.

I keep waffling on whether or not I want to keep it long term. Turbo FWD with an open diff sucks poo poo and I can only fix half that equation with aftermarket parts. Combined with the fragility of the car and I'm just not sure.

Uh, if you're hitting something hard enough or pulling away hard enough to rip off bodywork it would definitely gently caress up your E36.

Turn in your license before you run over someone, grandma.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

revmoo posted:

I agree, the car is lovely and you should sell it to me for pennies :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This.

BraveUlysses posted:

also always buy the version that has a limited slip

And this.

I have a rock chip in my windshield, what a lovely car. :v:

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
I ended up replacing my 2014 Fiesta ST with a 2018 version. Whoever transported the car over from the dealership this was originally shipped to must've been a big framed person, as the seat feels way less snug than on my '14. The newer suspension settings and lack of transmission clunking make this so much more calm feeling around town, and it handles trips into DC without being as annoying due to the significant amount of rebound in the early model's dampers. I'm hoping I can get the Wavetrac installed soon since I just passed 1500 miles on it and any trans issues would've presented themselves by now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Does anyone in the thread have a Veloster N yet? What’s it like to own?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

JamesOff posted:

That's great to hear! I'm sold on an R. Now the only problem is figuring out if I can swing a 2018 used loan, or wait for a 2019 because the apr's are lower for new/on lease. My monthly would be lower by almost $200 if I go the new route, even though I'm obviously paying way more in the end as I have no equity in it. How long are the factory warranties on these things, 6 years or something right?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

That's great to hear! I'm sold on an R. Now the only problem is figuring out if I can swing a 2018 used loan, or wait for a 2019 because the apr's are lower for new/on lease. My monthly would be lower by almost $200 if I go the new route, even though I'm obviously paying way more in the end as I have no equity in it. How long are the factory warranties on these things, 6 years or something right?

Yes 6 years/72k miles

https://www.vw.com/warranty/

Note, if you buy a certified used VW (with the old 3 years/36k miles warranty) they will add 2 years/24k miles onto the remaining factory warranty.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Sorry, lads. Had to go Subaru.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They use the same bolt pattern?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mattdev posted:

Sorry, lads. Had to go Subaru.

The one thing on mine that didn’t break! :v:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

They use the same bolt pattern?

Nope, but I suspect the center caps are the same size.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Backed my GTI into a fellow behind me trying not to get my car crushed by a semi making a left turn whoo! Any hot tips for dealing with body shops or is it just pick one and let insurance sort it out?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Warbird posted:

Backed my GTI into a fellow behind me trying not to get my car crushed by a semi making a left turn whoo! Any hot tips for dealing with body shops or is it just pick one and let insurance sort it out?

Ask a guy that does auto glass, they get to see all the body shops and will likely have a good opinion. That was my trick at least...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VW has a certification program so if there's one near you that is VW certified that's probably a good bet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Ask a guy that does auto glass, they get to see all the body shops and will likely have a good opinion. That was my trick at least...

A “guy who does auto glass” has a high chance of being a guy who repairs cracks under a canopy in a parking lot, this is bad advice.

Real advice: call up the local Porsche/Maserati/etc dealer and ask who they use for body work.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Don't take it to Caliber Collision in Dillon, CO...

Finding out who does high end/luxury cars is the correct advice.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

A “guy who does auto glass” has a high chance of being a guy who repairs cracks under a canopy in a parking lot, this is bad advice.

Real advice: call up the local Porsche/Maserati/etc dealer and ask who they use for body work.

Hmm, you may have a good point. My friend certainly isn't, but I forgot that little detail. He gets called out to a bunch of different body shops to pull glass when needed (and also replace broken glass).

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

fknlo posted:

Don't take it to Caliber Collision in Dillon, CO...

Finding out who does high end/luxury cars is the correct advice.

We took my wife’s car to a Caliber Collision in Tucson and their work was strangely inconsistent. Paint work was flawless but they happily installed aftermarket panels that didn’t fit worth a drat and seemed surprised when I made a fuss over literally the entire front end being asymmetric and crooked.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone here gone with cobb accessport for their gti? im curious if anyone liked the DSG tune

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone here gone with cobb accessport for their gti? im curious if anyone liked the DSG tune

Are you tuned at all? Consensus is that the APR and COBB TCU tunes are pretty much garbage and protunes are where the money is at.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

GTI Bodywork Talk:

I chatted with a couple of places. The VW dealership I purchased the car at does their stuff in house; the fellow that owns it has a billion dealerships of all cars so w/e. They are not VW certified though. The shops that are in this state are all pretty much Calibers which I've been hearing mixed things about. Thoughts? Also, insurance recommends aftermarket parts, being the rear bumper and a tag light here. The latter I don't really care about, but should I trust them on the bumper? Both places claimed that if it wasn't a good fit they'd swap for OEM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

caliber is a weird MSA that has bought up a bunch of other operators so the quality varies, but there are a lot that are poo poo and i would avoid it

what year is the car? i would pitch a fit about the aftermarket cover if it's newer than say, five years

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Would probably be beneficial to find a local VW or even the larger groups on Facebook and ask for recommendations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My experience with caliber has been documented in here, but long story short is that they did a bit over $17k in repairs on my gti that required another 5 grand in extra work at a good shop to repair. They're not all the same, but gently caress them. You can click the ? under my name and find my posts in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Etrips posted:

Would probably be beneficial to find a local VW or even the larger groups on Facebook and ask for recommendations.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation but I think I have something to work with now. The VW nearest me was a nightmare for a buddy of mine that got work done on his Jetta (but it was a Fahrenheit so limited parts/paint and whatnot) so they're out. Folks I bought it from have an inhouse collusion center that isn't certified with VW and has a 3 star review average; so that's not great either. Caliber has by and large better reviews and certification, but concerns here are noted. I did find a dealership about 45 minutes from me that recommended a local (to them) shop with a 4.8 average on Google reviews, so I'll likely go with that. Not certified with VW but it seems only Caliber is willing to throw money at that. I'll see if I can find a Facebook group. I've never really messed around with that sort of thing so we'll see how that goes.