Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Autism Sneaks posted:

how about stop quoting your lame 1d4chan-like copypasta at people you weirdo

What the gently caress? Those posts are the best part of the thread. Stop being a loving killjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So what's the deal with the lizardman lord and why the gently caress should I care about him when we're getting motherfucking minigunners and freaking nukes on the other side of things?

It seems like this is primarily a Skaven DLC and the lizard's just got gently caress all in comparison.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

Jamie, pull up that video.

Look at that Skink he must be, what, 200, 300 pounds? Jesus loving Christ, he'll rip you apart.

Lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Free Cheese posted:

I love warhammer and i love this game

Nerd spotted

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Archonex posted:

So what's the deal with the lizardman lord and why the gently caress should I care about him when we're getting motherfucking minigunners and freaking nukes on the other side of things?

It seems like this is primarily a Skaven DLC and the lizard's just got gently caress all in comparison.

Tehenauin is the angriest Skink who ever lived and he hates Skaven with a passion that is unrivaled in the Warhammer setting.

He hates Skaven so much that he literally willed a god (Sotek) into existence through a combination of sheer bloody minded willpower and mass ritual sacrifice of Skaven captives.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Archonex posted:

hes a skink who invented his own god and became so buff that the other lizardmen revere him as much as the slann priest mage guys

he has snake powers and drove all the skaven out of lustria like a reverse st patrick

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also the Lizardmen are getting their own nuke in the form of Lord Kroak

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Archonex posted:

tehenhauin is the entire reason for the following:

1) skinks being respected at all and allowed in the military as auxiliaries
2) sotek existing
3) clan pestilens not completely owning the new world
4) skaven in general being terrified of lizardmen

imagine if some dude running an apocalypse cult got so successful that his cult became part of the main religion and also willed the entity they worship into existence and then used said entity to destroy armies

also while the lizardmen in general have an obvious/heavy mesoamerican style, tehenhauin is all in on the aztec-style mass-ritual-sacrifice-that-turns-the-rivers-red-with-blood stuff, dude loves him some ritual sacrifice

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 7, 2019

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This is cool because then hes like an angry dwarf, but a lizard.

for the record, dwarfs in this game are basically just three ordinary men standing abreast. giant slayers are as tall as empire spearmen but built like, well, dwarfs. ungrim is probably taller than karl

e: also isn't virtually everyone saying tehenuain wrong? skinks say it sometimes as part of a bark and it's "ta-HEN-a-wayne"

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
teenie weenie

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ahaha gently caress you man i laughed

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Archonex posted:

The Lizardmen are getting more dinosarus who can summon what amounts to orbital strikes and a mage so powerful that even with him being dead he is able to do this.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

for the record, dwarfs in this game are basically just three ordinary men standing abreast. giant slayers are as tall as empire spearmen but built like, well, dwarfs. ungrim is probably taller than karl

When you say "in this game" are you talking about the tabletop? Because most dwarves in total warhammer are definitely shorter than the human units. Giant Slayers are pretty close to the height of the human units, but all the other dwarf units are definitely shorter, including Ungrim.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

When you say "in this game" are you talking about the tabletop? Because most dwarves in total warhammer are definitely shorter than the human units. Giant Slayers are pretty close to the height of the human units, but all the other dwarf units are definitely shorter, including Ungrim.

I think they mean in Total War's scale. Thankfully there are mods to fix that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

e: also isn't virtually everyone saying tehenuain wrong? skinks say it sometimes as part of a bark and it's "ta-HEN-a-wayne"

I assume, due to the strong Aztec vibe the Lizards got, that GW used Nahuatl as a base for the names. It would be "te-hen-HA-ooeen", since 3 out of the 4 vowel sounds in Nahuatl are very similar to Spanish. When I say 'vowel sounds', keep in mind Spanish only has 5, each one linked invariably to the 'a', 'o', 'u', 'i', 'e' letters. Nahuatl has 4 of those (no 'u', at times the 'o' can sound like an "oo" sound). English has, in comparison (and not counting diphthongs), 12 vowel sounds (11 for American English) + whatever variants specific dialects may swap in or add. This makes Lizardmen names extremely straightforward to pronounce for Spanish speakers once you learn the ways in which consonant sounds differ and as long as you remind 'o' has two different pronunciations.

- The second to last syllable should be the accented one, since that's the standard Nahuatl stress pattern, apparently (same happens in Spanish),

- I guess you could replace the 'ooee' with a 'win' but there's a difference between the sound of 'wi' in English and the /ui/ diphthong. I have no idea if Nahuatl has a short 'i' sound, like the sound in 'win', but I'd guess not.

Azran fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 7, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Didn't his name use to be like almost literally "teenie weenie"? Something like "Tenehuini" IIRC.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Didn't his name use to be like almost literally "teenie weenie"? Something like "Tenehuini" IIRC.

Yup. Tenehuini. Sadly he got an actual name over the years, which leaves Tiktaq'To and Itzi-Bitzi as the only contenders for the silliest Warhams name.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Azran posted:

Yup. Tenehuini. Sadly he got an actual name over the years, which leaves Tiktaq'To and Itzi-Bitzi as the only contenders for the silliest Warhams name.

Well, there's still Lord Kroak. Which is stupid, but not as silly as those two. Having played Warhammer back in the day I also remember Empire names essentially just being a bunch of German puns. Though can't think of many examples off the top of my head sadly.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Apparently it's also really bad German, particularly stuff like Altdorf and Mordheim. It sounds pretty good if you don't speak the language though! :v:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Azran posted:

Apparently it's also really bad German, particularly stuff like Altdorf and Mordheim. It sounds pretty good if you don't speak the language though! :v:

Probably, kind of like 40k's dog latin. Though in old Fantasy it was more just to have funny-sounding German names. Altdorf isn't really bad German though, it's just kind of archaic and means "old village/town". There's actually a bunch of places called that IRL.

e: Mordheim kind of works as well really. "Heim" for placenames is used in German, though not as frequently as in Scandinavia (and I think Norwegian uses it the most). Can't think of any verb-Heim places really, though you hear it and the name makes sense as "murder home" essentially, which is properly sinister. Properly not conjugated properly in German, but with place names you can often justify that due to stuff being old, that just being the way it's grown to be called due to local pronounciation, etc. etc.

e2: Regarding Altdorf, alot of Warhammer world's place names, especially for the Human nations, are just real place names, sometimes with a slight variation. Honestly it's one of the things I really appreciate about the setting, as it's completely honest about it just being a warped version of real life Europe. I also find that this fact also means that alot of the Old World nations have a lot more depth and sense to them than in many other Fantasy worlds, especially ones with not that much work put into language where you just end up with a bunch of names that really mean nothing, because they really are just real world/historical nations and you and the setting can project their features and characteristics onto those nations rather than having to make up something whole cloth (which in most fantasy often ends up feeling way too artifical and arbitrary, at least to me).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 7, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ostland Sudenland Wissenland and Nordland are all just Anglicized German.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ostland Sudenland Wissenland and Nordland are all just Anglicized German.

I don't know about "Anglicized" really, because that is essentially how you name places (countries/regions in particular) in pretty much all the Germanic languages. You take some defining trait (often a tribe or people or a geographical feature) associated with a place and you just append -land. Sometimes -mark (or the local language equivalent), though that happens more often for frontier regions.

They got a bit lazy with a bunch of the Empire province names though, they are pretty much all named after a defining river, even "Reik" is a river, which seems to me to be an odd name for a river. Though I think "Reikland" as a country name kind of makes sense for a place that has long been associated with the capital of an empire or a kingdom and essentially just became named after that ("Reik" ofcourse is analogous to "Reich" which translates roughly to realm/kingdom/empire). But I think it's a bad name for a river.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 7, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Like the nerds who dreamt all this up even had the vaguest clue of what Nahuatl vowel stress patterns were like.

All the names are designed to be a pastiche of their source, filtered through the minds of British basement dwellers circa 1983.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Vlex posted:

Like the nerds who dreamt all this up even had the vaguest clue of what Nahuatl vowel stress patterns were like.

All the names are designed to be a pastiche of their source, filtered through the minds of British basement dwellers circa 1983.

I guess my point is more that in many ways it wasn't really designed or dreamt up much really, they just took the real world and kind of changed some things around and added Orcs, Elves and Dwarves.

And then for the Lizardmen they gave them "Aztecified" names based on Dinobot transformers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want a mod that turns the wood elf faction into Scottish murderhobos. Vermintide voice acting is great.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Vlex posted:

Sometimes I have to remind myself these are the same guys who gave us Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
is there any twitch clips of ratlings in action?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Randarkman posted:

e: Mordheim kind of works as well really. "Heim" for placenames is used in German, though not as frequently as in Scandinavia (and I think Norwegian uses it the most). Can't think of any verb-Heim places really, though you hear it and the name makes sense as "murder home" essentially, which is properly sinister.

Well if you consider Scandinavia to be some small part of Norway. Heim is only used if you want to do some language connection to Vikings ie restaurant, football club and so on. Otherwise it is not used.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Well if you consider Scandinavia to be some small part of Norway. Heim is only used if you want to do some language connection to Vikings ie restaurant, football club and so on. Otherwise it is not used.

I can't remember if you are Norwegian or Swedish. But I'm Norwegian and we have lots of "heims"*, even if it may be kind of old-fashioned. Also common in surnames, due to lots of surnames coming from farm names.

*and variants, "hus", "hem", "hjem", etc. would be the same thing dependent on language and local dialect. It's a common naming scheme. And not just in Norway.

Saying it is not used is just flat out wrong.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 7, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want a mod that turns the wood elf faction into Scottish murderhobos. Vermintide voice acting is great.

This SO MUCH

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I want Durthu to call me a glaikit mayfly

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

I can't remember if you are Norwegian or Swedish. But I'm Norwegian and we have lots of "heims"*, even if it may be kind of old-fashioned. Also common in surnames, due to lots of surnames coming from farm names.

*and variants, "hus", "hem", "hjem", etc. would be the same thing dependent on language and local dialect. It's a common naming scheme. And not just in Norway.

That's not "heim" though, if you use the qualifier of "has common a root in proto germanic" then home and house is also as valid and makes as little sense.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i'm glad the dwarves in total warhammer are yorkshiremen like they should be, rather than scottish like dwarves tend to be in a lot of stuff.

but the wood elves being weird ponces sucks rear end, that should be reserved for the high elves. as annoying as kerillian can be, shes a very good portrayal of the combination of scottish, smug, and feral that wood elves should be.

they don't really play up the guerilla warrior aspects very well either. wood elves are some nightmare combination of the picts, the traditional scary, insane fairies, and the vietcong. i think their characterisation is the weakest out of any of the factions in warhammer total war.

which isn't to say its awful, its just that every other faction is so well characterised that they look bad by comparison. duruthu the insanely pissed tree boy is still good though.

edit: although i do wish kerillian got in on some scottish slang like bardin does with yorkshire slang. it would fit her character well to call the other characters nesh when they use healing potions when they're not missing much health. like my grandma used to when my dad complained about the cold as a kid.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 7, 2019

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

juggalo baby coffin posted:

as annoying as kerillian can be

stop slandering my elf wife

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Randarkman posted:

There's a town in northwestern Zealand named 'Kværkeby', which translates as Choketown.

I've always worried about that place

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

edit: although i do wish kerillian got in on some scottish slang like bardin does with yorkshire slang. it would fit her character well to call the other characters nesh when they use healing potions when they're not missing much health. like my grandma used to when my dad complained about the cold as a kid.

Real talk: I thought "glaikit" was some made-up elven poo poo, until some Scot friend of mine reacted upon hearing it in VT2 and enlightened me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you think the Empire is bad compare Bretonnia to a map of France.

Some of the bretonnian places are named so hamfistedly that the french translation of Warhammer invented new names because it’s literally just poorly-drawn France with some extra syllables.

Like imagine a country of fantasy Englishmen named “Welshia” with a capital named Crown and featuring such cities as Windechester, Ganterburrey, and Leeds.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I kind of want all the dark elves to have Canadian accents. Maybe not the legendary lords, but at least all the soldiers

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you think the Empire is bad compare Bretonnia to a map of France.

Some of the bretonnian places are named so hamfistedly that the french translation of Warhammer invented new names because it’s literally just poorly-drawn France with some extra syllables.

Like imagine a country of fantasy Englishmen named “Welshia” with a capital named Crown and featuring such cities as Windechester, Ganterburrey, and Leeds.

Yes yes we've all played Thrones of Britannia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

At least you dudes get some entry. All of Eastern Europe is shoved into fantasy not-Muscovy.