Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Which is amazing considering it has Samuel L Jackson doing an outstanding Captain Ahab impression.

gently caress, I have about an hour to kill. I'm putting it on.

I went to go look at a scene in the movie because I wanted to get another look at something I was curious about a few weeks ago, and I just ended up letting it play through while I sat in front of the tv without really meaning to. It’s entrancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skull Island is also the best Vietnam movie in a long time.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the geography off? DC is almost never depicted correctly in film.

Yes, if that's the Jefferson Memorial, well, it's on a river and....

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont think any of the political buildings in dc are on the bay but its been years since i last went so i may be remembering wrong

Your memory is correct.

mllaneza posted:

The Potomac is a major river, but I don't think you can normally get an Arleigh Burke class DDG up to Capitol Hill.

Exactly.

Tekne posted:

I'm almost expecting Godzilla vs Kong to be a post apocalyptic film now.

It was a ballsy choice in the new Planet of the Apes movies, it could be amazing here as well.

Mantis42 posted:

The home release was also way too dark and this has never been fixed.

I hadn't heard that, I thought it was me, like I had my settings wrong.

Shiroc posted:

The teasing and cutting away in 14 deeply frustrated me, especially with the "tut tut children, JAWS never showed the shark*!" justifications from the director.

Also, not showing the shark wasn't by design. It was a happy accident; Spielberg wanted the shark to be all over the place, the storyboards had the shark exploding out of the water with Chrissy Watkins in his mouth right off the bat for example. But the shark didn't work so he had to dump his plans and shoot around it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah I agree they cut away too much with the Kaiju fights, the Oahu fight was a perfect example since I think that was the first time Godzilla even encountered the MUTO.

The MUTOs were well designed in my opinion. They looked very angular and bug like which was a good contrast to Godzilla. I also liked how they moved which was like an enormous Katydid clambering over stuff. The emp effect also made them difficult for humans to deal with.

And they were very animal like in having a 'male' and 'female', setting up a nest and defending it, etc

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I kind of liked the fact that they cut away from the fights -- the idea that it's kind of from the perspective of humans, and humans are insignificant and meaningless -- totally beneath acknowledgement. The MUTOs were definitely well done as real living creatures just going about their day, and I like the implied contrast with the sentience of gidorah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The thing about Oahu is that if you pay attention, they did show the entire fight - it continues on the tv the kid is watching. It's just that the fight consists of male MUTO lunging at Godzilla, Godzilla ripping him off, and male MUTO flying away. There was never a huge brawl in the city. The second cutaway, Las Vegas, is just female MUTO walking through the city.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Tekne posted:

Your will is eroding. https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/b9m74p/now_this_is_the_tits/

The editing on the closing montage is amazing. Bocelli's voice rising just as those poor sobs are blown away is pure :kiss:

There's like 3 whole pixels in this video and I still got chills :tviv:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

God my large hydra friend looks so goddamn evil I love him.

I like the part in the IMAX clip just before the trailer proper when King G is putting on a full startle display, like a threatened mantis or cobra. So freaking hype.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A much clearer version of the trailer has appeared. https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/b9mo89/heres_a_closer_look_at_the_5_min_footage/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

K. Waste posted:

There's this fine line that commercial filmmakers tread where you know if you have an insanely popular actor and you kill them off early it's going to not just be a solid performance but also is going to make a lot of folks just viscerally sad and give them a really powerful experience - but then sometimes you get an actor that's so beloved and you kill them and people just get pissed the gently caress off.

Godzilla was also one of Cranston's first major roles after Breaking Bad ended, and people were kinda itching for more of him.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

From the looks of it the waterline is well over the Potomac and flooding the city. That Jefferson memorial is halfway underwater, not alongside it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Saw the IMAX teaser before Shazam (didnt even know I was gonna) and it was loving awesome, holy poo poo. I was already on board but the teaser, seeing it on the big big screen with the sound etc cemented that im gonna catch this opening night in imax.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Andy Serkis involved this time around? G14's facial expressions were based on his face mixed with an alligator and a bear, but I haven't seen enough of G19's face to tell if Serkis is still putting tweaks in.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I will not watch this leaked trailer, I will not ruin this experience for myself

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Something that jumped out at me about this trailer now that there's a better look...

It's a subtle point in G14 that Godzilla never consciously attacks humans. Humans die in droves around him, from collateral damage and simply being in his way, but he never consciously chooses to kill people. Only the MUTOs do, and even then it's the male perceiving humans as a threat, and the female avenging the deaths of her children. Also a useful point there - humans are a threat to the MUTOs and they respond appropriately. Godzilla doesn't give a gently caress, and by all evidence he doesn't have a reason to give one.

This movie? The very first thing Ghidorah does after waking up is turn his gravity beams on a bunch of schmucks shooting him with assault rifles. Assuming the storytelling language remains the same, this is both an indication that Ghidorah is an rear end in a top hat, and also an indication that humans are a genuine threat to him (the Super X firing its missile volley at a reeling Ghidorah would seem to back that up).

Edwards is a good director. I love little visual cues and nuances like that, helping tell the story through purely visual cues you may not even notice are happening until your second or third viewing.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Michael Dougherty on KG:

quote:

You know, I think Ghidorah is gonna have a very cruel personality, but there is a sense of humor and mischief. It’s not a comedy by any means, but there’s a certain sense of curiosity. Because in my mind he’s like Rip van Winkle. You know, he wakes up and he doesn’t recognize any of this world. You know, so he’s never seen a jet before, he’s never seen a tank, a ship, human beings with guns. And so there is a certain part of our world that he is curious about and puzzled by. You know, so that has to come across.

I don't know if we pose any threat to Ghidorah in the movie, but people will take every shot they can to stop what he's causing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Well it took like 5 years but I finally watched Kong skull island and holy poo poo this is a beautiful movie. Idk what happened but whoever decided the giant monkey movie needed to be gorgeous as hell was a genius

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Cythereal posted:

The thing about Oahu is that if you pay attention, they did show the entire fight - it continues on the tv the kid is watching. It's just that the fight consists of male MUTO lunging at Godzilla, Godzilla ripping him off, and male MUTO flying away. There was never a huge brawl in the city. The second cutaway, Las Vegas, is just female MUTO walking through the city.

That is part of the dumb teases though. It actively goes "HURR! It's on the TV you schmucks!" and then no one in the subsequent scene even seems to care that the TV is showing gigantic monsters fighting each other in Hawaii.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Maybe my interpretation is wrong -- but it seems that with the exception of Godzilla, most of the kaiju are simply just giant animals going about their business. They're not particularly good or evil, they just happen to be killing thousands of humans as they're living their lives. To deal with this the wake up Ghidorah... who is definitely sentient and evil.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shiroc posted:

That is part of the dumb teases though. It actively goes "HURR! It's on the TV you schmucks!" and then no one in the subsequent scene even seems to care that the TV is showing gigantic monsters fighting each other in Hawaii.

The only two people in that scene are the kid, who's excited, and the mom, who isn't even looking at the TV and doesn't know what's happening.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rewatched Shin Godzilla and while the CGI isn't the best I really like how violent it is. You know how older visual effects can look better at lower resolution or using camera tricks? Well CGI doesn't need to be top of the line to invoke an intended emotion or impression. The erratic CGI in Shin makes it a lot creepier and I'm sure that's intentional. Compare the atomic breath scene to independence day's city destruction and see how both films use roughly equal quality CGI to create vastly different tones. The chopper taking off from the white house getting caught in the blast makes me chuckle, the chopper getting smoked by the atomic breath is scary as hell. Both are fairly impersonal scenes but one is the cherry on top of a visually incredible scene of city annihilation and the other one is some poor bastards vaporized in an instant to add to a giant death lizard's bodycount.

One invokes awe, the other invokes fear, and both use their visual effects Extremely well to emphasize their intended emotional response

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 8, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The music in that scene being a kind of dirge sets the mood in a big way too. The moment Godzilla starts to open his mouth, you're hit by a wall of "oh this is not going to end well...".

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I rewatched Godzilla 2014 again, man I like that movie. I forgot how brutal the bit where the MUTOs double team G-dog amd just stomp the poo poo out of him for a while.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ItCameFromBlog/status/1115153791492296704

Violator
May 15, 2003

I love G14 and don’t mind the teases, but I feel like they don’t work like Jaws. The shark is hard to see because it’s hidden under dark water so it makes sense from a character perspective that Brody and the folks can’t see it. But the teases in G14 actively feel like a creative decision: characters see the monsters but the viewers don’t get to see what they do. I distinctly remember feeling teased when I first saw the movie and I never felt that during Jaws. I’m fine with it, though, because I thought you saw the monsters plenty in that movie and the views that you do get of them are fantastic. Seeing Godzilla lumbering into the bay in the super wide shot was stunning.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

That IMAX trailer finally made me realize what all that Rodan footage was reminding me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOj0nXpRqX8&t=27s

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Did it ever get revealed which character from kong skull island will be in KOTM?

I assume it isnt important enough to be a spoiler but feel free to tag

maybe its kong post credits

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My money is on Charles Dance being elderly Tom Hiddleston.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rewatched Shin Godzilla and while the CGI isn't the best I really like how violent it is.

I see this a lot and I can't figure it out. I saw fewer bad CG shots in Shin than I do in many movies that had eight or nine times its budget.

quote:

Compare the atomic breath scene to independence day's city destruction and see how both films use roughly equal quality CGI to create vastly different tones. The chopper taking off from the white house getting caught in the blast makes me chuckle, the chopper getting smoked by the atomic breath is scary as hell.

That scene wasn't CGI. None or drat near none of the effects in Independence Day were.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I see this a lot and I can't figure it out. I saw fewer bad CG shots in Shin than I do in many movies that had eight or nine times its budget.

That scene wasn't CGI. None or drat near none of the effects in Independence Day were.

I think you missed my point. A special effect is done with CGI or with practical effects or camera trickery or all three that's not what I'm getting at. My point is that a visual effect that effectively conveys its intended reaction doesn't have to cost hundreds of millions of dollars. Independence Day was the first movie that came to mind when I watched Shin's atomic breath scene because I felt I could draw a contrast between how two somewhat similar scenes use their visual effects and overall direction to invoke different emotional responses.

Independence Day has all those slowmo shots of buildings erupting into flames and cars getting tossed aside and that great overhead shot of the firestorm ripping through the city. Godzilla has a similar shot except it is just a frantic wave of fire and death shot at a regular framerate. A purple laser beam slices a building in half and keeps going.

It's the difference between a scene wanting you to say "whoa" and a scene wanting you to say "...gently caress"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The bit in G14 when Godzilla finally is about to fire his atomic breath was one of my favorite moments in a theater. The sound just rumbled and everyone hushed as the blue wound up.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I really like that they seem to be keeping the theme of everyone shutting the hell up when Big G rolls up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shiroc posted:

The bit in G14 when Godzilla finally is about to fire his atomic breath was one of my favorite moments in a theater. The sound just rumbled and everyone hushed as the blue wound up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFWdwx3mjU&t=26s

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love my unimpressed, inexpressive local audiences :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shiroc posted:

My audience cheered when he did it, and it ruled. One of the most memorable moments in a theater I've had right along with the end of Infinity War.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think you missed my point.

I understood your point. I've seen many people talk about the relative weakness of Shin's CG and I disagree with that. "Rewatched Shin Godzilla and while the CGI isn't the best I really like how violent it is." I wasn't disagreeing with the point you were making.

Then I pointed out that the movies didn't have, "...roughly equal quality CGI..." because Independence Day didn't have CGI, at least not the scenes you referenced. That's all. I got your overall point and agree with it.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...e/#3ffefbfbd631

He's absolutely right that King of the Monsters will be the year's largest blockbuster in terms of scale and grandeur. Asides from G14 and Kong, most giant monster movies feel small and even a little comedic. The global disaster film, the genre's FX cousin, is even worse for making world ending events seem trite or worse boring. Michael Dougherty and the digital artists have succeeded in making these kaiju feel like flesh and blood titans that remake the world in their passing. It's especially striking when you compare them to Clash of the Titans' Kraken, who is the biggest offender for the uncompelling cgi monster.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Godzilla 2014 was good but then shin Godzilla came along and there's no real reason to go back.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I recall reading that some of the cgi in shin was deliberately bad, when Anno came on to direct he made the effect artists roll back to less finished versions. The early Godzilla forms, the blood gushing out of its gills, and the evolution shot are pretty janky, but as a stylistic choice it works to disarm the viewer so when the big form shows up it's that much more effective

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shin Godzilla was a bit too... bizarre for me, it was beautiful though and the music owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Last trailer i was the Beautiful one and yeah at this point I don’t need to see anything else. Unsubbing from this thread until release. Good luck, goons.
I regret watching it... accidentally freeze framed on a huge spoiler :gonk: