Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NPR Journalizard posted:

He says the week after Gaff comes back from straight up decking a guy.

There have been some fairly brutal derbys as well.

Gaff is not a supporter but a player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

With Frederick-Traub also probably going to Richmond, Mo Hope seems to be running out of seats

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Honestly I'll be happy to take her. Gay and Hore are natural footy players but neither have a match winner spark about them as forwards just yet, Cunningham completely disappears against a strong matchup, and Newman's lack of a footy background can catch her out with her skills sometimes

The forwards had no answer for Jess Duffin sitting under the ball all day long when we played the Roos and Mo Hope would help stack the forward line to offset that kind of thing

Plus if it gets Gay, Hore and Newman more time through the middle that works too

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Honestly I’m not sure a marking forward is the way to attack yet in AFLW unless you have a freakishly talented one. Mosquito squads seem generally more effective

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I kinda hope the Saints don't poach any players but instead hit the draft, but is there much point in doing that given the 1 year contract lengths?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think this is actually interesting, (not specifically Carlton, but for all clubs.) Do you know/understand the reasons other people might have an aversion to your club. For example, I am a Hawthorn supporter, but I think I know and understand exactly why some might hate us, (smug born to rule middle class fans, Jeff Kennett, Luke Hodge, James Sicily, Back to back to back recently, etc.) And also, how much of why you think people hate your club is the real reason people hate your club?

And also I think it is interesting why do you feel the way you do about a particular rival club? Is it because of a player, or a club official i.e gently caress Carlton because of John Elliot, or gently caress Hawthorn because of Luke Hodge or Jeff Kennett? Is it a learned historical rivalry, i.e. you hate them because you are supposed to hate them? Is there a specific incident in the past that soured you on a club, or gave you a soft spot for them? Because like teh reason one barracks for the club one barracks for, everyone would have a different story about each club they feel one way or another about.

As a Saint's man any issue with Hawthorn immediately goes back to the zoning days when Hawthorn got given a lot of what was meant to be Saint's zone which resulted in the worst decade for us and the best for you. Its not specifically a Hawthorn thing but more just the comp was a complete joke of "equality" for such a long time and thats just the most direct example.

Lately its really just the success you've had means everyone is sick of Hawthorn. People hated Brisbane the same way until they started sucking for years on end.

Clubs like Carlton and Essendon are hated because of their history of extremely favourable financial and political influence whilst also cheating behind the scenes. They are both long term salary cap cheaters and mostly got a slap on the wrist when found out until the AFL turned proper professional and actually properly punished Carlton for their last breach. Plus Carlton's involvement in the dissolving of Fitzroy will always sour the club for me.

Periphery posted:

Of players that have played every game Gresham is leading our CP (32 total) and Steele our tackles (25 total) but Dunstan is 2nd in both. Marshal and Steven go above him if you do averages for CP. Dunstan is a known factor but he's an incredibly average one that plays on average the 25th least time on ground of any Saints player atm (64.7%).

Acres has never had much of a chance to show much in the middle but when he has been given the chance he's had multi high 20 disposal games and is a much more dynamic player than Dunstan while also offering more height to a short midfield.

Newnes and Billings have taken the bulk of the wing duties so far from what I've seen. Sincs is mostly playing a forward role that comes up to the contest at stoppages - ie the same role he's always been crap at instead of the dedicated wingman that he was rated by champion data as the best in the league as a few years ago.

I wouldn't mind Long for Kent as I agree Kent has been somewhat average so far but Long hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year.

Honestly Dunstan's TOG is somewhat baffling to me. 64% is WELL down on even his last few years and I know he had an excellent pre-season and beat out his previous bests so there must be some sort of TOG structure they are adhering to for some reason.

I dont disagree with you about Acres but considering his injuries in pre-season it might be the main reason they are holding him back almost purely forward so far. Ecspecially considering we are being much more experimental with who goes into the midfield this year.

Basically what we need is Steven and Hannebrey in the side.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Honestly I’m not sure a marking forward is the way to attack yet in AFLW unless you have a freakishly talented one. Mosquito squads seem generally more effective

You need one, basically. Someone who can contest the marks and spill the ball. Beyond that, unless they're brilliant they're not worthwhile.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nutsngum posted:

Plus Carlton's involvement in the dissolving of Fitzroy will always sour the club for me.

Do you remember the specifics of this?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I believe he's referring to Carlton refusing to accept a Fitzroy/North Melbourne merger out of fears it would generate a super team and threaten Carlton.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Gaff is not a supporter but a player?

Sorry, thought we were talking about onfield violence.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Basically what we need is Steven and Hannebrey in the side.

I’m not too mad to lose a good contest interstate by that margin, but yeah, it’s one the Saints definitely could have picked up. Hopefully it snaps the team into gear.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Katie Brennan’s gone, almost certainly to Richmond

Hannah Scott to Saints and Libby Birch to Melbourne so gently caress this lovely garbage league that doesn't even remotely have the talent pool to cover six expansion teams over four years.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Also what a joke it is that Martin does a drive-by elbow and only ends up missing one week.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Testekill posted:

Also what a joke it is that Martin does a drive-by elbow and only ends up missing one week.

It just makes a mockery of everything the AFL has been saying about players throwing punches and contact to the head.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Hardwick: Um hi Mr McLachlan. I've been doing some thinking, and I've got some ideas to improve our game. One, Dustin Martin needs to be allowed to louder, angrier, and exempt from all umpiring decisions. Two, whenever Martin is not on the ground, all the Richmond fans should be shouting "Where's Dusty?" Three...

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wait what the hell

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Going off memory, Carlton owned a sizeable amount of the debt that Fitzroy owned and refused to commit to a payment plan that would allow them to pay it off or wipe off enough to keep operating. The details are fuzzy but that was the crux of it.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Paddy McCartin is still suffering concussion symptoms.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Carlton were also the only club who refused to chip in to keep St Kilda afloat back in the '80s(?). Ian Collins was quoted as saying "let them rot."

Periphery posted:

Paddy McCartin is still suffering concussion symptoms.

He should've retired a few head knocks ago.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

boy undead posted:

Ian Collins was quoted as saying "let them rot."

Dude was dedicated to killing the smaller clubs and probably hates that he only got one in the end. Also he's the fucker that demanded that Grant get taken to the tribunal in 97 despite not being reported and Nick Holland basically saying that Grant put nothing into the alleged strike.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
When North went private, Carlton bought a bunch of shares and then tried to do a hostile takeover.

I think they even hosed over Hawthorn a bit back with the Princes Park deal (which is one reason the Hawks were keen enough to move out to Waverley when the league decided to have permanent tenants).

So basically Carlton tried to gently caress over every other club at some stage.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ian Collins is a bastard but he wasn't apart of carlton (apart from being a player in the 60s) until 2002, after being head of the AFL for a decade.

He did however kill off princes park and got us signed up to a terrible docklands deal, which he was also CEO of at the time.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Hardwick: Um hi Mr McLachlan. I've been doing some thinking, and I've got some ideas to improve our game. One, Dustin Martin needs to be allowed to louder, angrier, and exempt from all umpiring decisions. Two, whenever Martin is not on the ground, all the Richmond fans should be shouting "Where's Dusty?" Three...

I want someone to do an Australian version of this starring Gil Maclachlan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJtDt10fRqw

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I've seen players miss a week for tripping over another player and he gets off with the same punishment after elbowing someone in the back of the head, on purpose, 80m off the ball and openly dragging Mumford's reputation through the mud, onfield and glaring the bird?

gently caress off AFL, and especially Michael Christian. What a farce.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
MC gave him 2 and then the tribunal brought it down to 1, as one of the players testified that Martin was trying to hit De Boer in the shoulder :airquote:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
The AFL should just crackdown on players being fuckwits. Plain and simple.

Specific actions and their force, or 'intent', shouldn't be the sole focus over being a poo poo who attacks another player off the ball.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Spedman posted:

MC gave him 2 and then the tribunal brought it down to 1, as one of the players testified that Martin was trying to hit De Boer in the shoulder :airquote:

Oh cool so we've gone back to the days of the players code deciding tribunal outcomes, good loving job AFL

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Dusty also received a "huge" fine of $7500 (with $5000 of it suspended) for giving the middle finger and making a drug snorting gesture and then another $1500 fine for elbowing another player in the stomach rather than the head.

Also, "trying to hit him in the shoulder" is such bullshit. As blurry as the footage is, it's crystal clear that he just ran straight up to the girl and elbowed him in the head. It was blatant as can be.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

cmndstab posted:

Dusty also received a "huge" fine of $7500 (with $5000 of it suspended) for giving the middle finger and making a drug snorting gesture and then another $1500 fine for elbowing another player in the stomach rather than the head.

Also, "trying to hit him in the shoulder" is such bullshit. As blurry as the footage is, it's crystal clear that he just ran straight up to the girl and elbowed him in the head. It was blatant as can be.

Someone is still in AFLW mode

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

realbez posted:

Someone is still in AFLW mode

Hahaha, poo poo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The "I was trying to hit him in the shoulder" is bullshit rules lawyering.

He hit someone, on purpose, with no other purpose than to elbow them, behind play, in a malicious manner.

That is bad. And given that, regardless of where he was aiming, he hit the guy in the head, it should be more than 2 weeks worth of bad.

And because I feel like being hypocritical ... the fine for the finger and snorting gesture reeks to me of pearl clutching and caring more about a PG "image" for teh game. So I am not too bothered by it being a tad lenient.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1115924209069244416

lol. A day after saying it could be Bec Goddard.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1115924209069244416

lol. A day after saying it could be Bec Goddard.

We played his vafa girls team last year. He sucks rear end and favours his daughters too much.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Collingwood continuing to treat their AFLW side with the same level of seriousness that saw their entire forward line walk out on the club in 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Here’s to another 1-6 season

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Bec would have been a great appointment. She did wonders for the culture at the Adelaide women's side, and Collingwood's team is a side that just really needs to be brought together and build up some team spirit.

But Spud will do instead, I guess.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spud was a great player, a decent person but a lovely lovely coach.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Wow, I actually forgot he was on of the terrible 90/00’s Richmond coaches, it’s not like goofing around on radio and tv since then would have improved his abilities

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://twitter.com/darcyvee/status/1115826140416024576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Danny Frawley, most recently of the worst piece of football media ever produced, "bounce"