Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ScooterMcTiny posted:

How is the Honda/Toyota adaptive cruise control? That truly is my #1 priority, and it really kills on the Volvo.

And my wife, while I love her dearly, is anti-minivan or trust me I’d be in one in a heartbeat (assuming there’s a good one with ACC).

Despite what the other posted shared about the ACC being bad in Honda trucks, I have ACC and lane steering help in a 2018 CR-V and it works great for me,

Don't get me wrong, the Volvo choice is a nice car, but at the end of the day you are going to spend an extra 5-10 thousand dollars as a premium over a comparable Honda or Toyota,, for a worse made car. You are going to pay much higher maintenance, much higher depreciation and have higher daily running costs as well. You owe it to yourself to actually go test drive a good import brand and see if it fits your family's needs and has the technology you want at a good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

What I don't get is why the seats aren't cooled or massaging. C'mon Aston, it's a $211k car.

You want to add more electronics to a british car? Fool.

Also, called it.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

How is the Honda/Toyota adaptive cruise control? That truly is my #1 priority, and it really kills on the Volvo.
I've had ACC in a 18 or 19 Toyota Corolla, and it felt like the system in my dad's 2006 infiniti M.
This is not a compliment. In 2006, it was loving amazing, but it is pretty jerky and not smooth by today's standards.

I will say the lane departure stuff in the Hyundai/Kia rental cars enterprise seems to be renting these days is actually pretty solid and not intrusive. None of the rental cars I've had has had ACC. They have had collision warnings (I think they just beep, but I never in a situation where I got close), some blind spot coverage, and some that weird backup thing with cars coming. I've been pretty impressed with them.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 8, 2019

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

nm posted:

I will say the lane departure stuff in the Hyundai/Kia rental cars enterprise seems to be renting these days is actually pretty solid and not intrusive. None of the rental cars I've had has had ACC. They have had collision warnings (I think they just beep, but I never in a situation where I got close), some blind spot coverage, and some that weird backup thing with cars coming. I've been pretty impressed with them.

I rented a Hyundai Tucson a couple of weeks ago and both the lane assist and the cruise (non-adaptive) were way less good than my 2016 Audi. Both systems were a bit jerky and actually made it a less comfortable trip than just doing it myself. I stopped using them in the end.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

You want to add more electronics to a british car? Fool.

Also, called it.

Yeah, you did. They're just so goddamn pretty.

Also, NA V12, RWD and hydraulic steering. Too bad they stopped putting manuals in the DB9.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
How flexible are dealers on trade-ins, exactly?

I bought a 2017 ND miata new from the dealer. I got a good price from them, about 7% under invoice.

I'm considering trading in the 2017 for a 2019 model of the same type. Carfax appraisal of my car is roughly 24k market value, the dealer is offering 21k. The only defect with the car is minor rock chipping on the paint on the front bumper. Otherwise, has new tires, was flawless on maintenance, etc. 14,700 miles. The remaining loan the car is 24k. I'm at 1.9% interest, and a 2019 loan would be the same interest rate.

The walk out cost of the trade in + new 2019 (club RF, brembo package) was roughly 39k offered from them, and I'm trying to get it 34k or under before I would consider paying it. I'm a little unsure how to haggle here vs buying the new car originally.

Just do what I did last time and email every dealer in Texas and make them fight?

Scionix fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 8, 2019

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Hi folks, I am looking for a / used / mid-size or larger / four-door / sedan or wagon / under $20k / that I can find with less than 100k miles.

For reference, I drive a 4 cyl '05 Accord, and have a Highlander which drives like a boat and is the stupid substitute for a minivan.

Priorities:
1. QUIET
2. little to NO BODY ROLL
3. a little more zip than a 14 year old Accord
4. reliable / low (cost of) maintenance (Japanese?)
5. decent MPG

I am fine with it being a little older, but probably not more than a decade. Preliminary google turns up the Lexus LS460 as a possibility? Opinions?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
If you’re trying to avoid body roll, the LS460 is not the car for you.

I’d look at a V6 late-model Accord with the sport package, personally. For 20K, you could get a fairly low-mileage example, and they’re certainly not lacking in horsepower or reliability.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
The main thing with Honda seems to be how noisy they tend to be? I guess I should go test drive one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Scionix posted:

How flexible are dealers on trade-ins, exactly?

5K is a a giant hole to fill and probably isn't going to happen. You want 3 more for your car, and the dealer to come down 2 on theirs.

If you need/want 24K for the car, you can try to sell it private party where the maintenance records, new tires, and all that will make a difference to the new buyer.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

skipdogg posted:

5K is a a giant hole to fill and probably isn't going to happen. You want 3 more for your car, and the dealer to come down 2 on theirs.

If you need/want 24K for the car, you can try to sell it private party where the maintenance records, new tires, and all that will make a difference to the new buyer.

Ok, thanks for the perspective. If nobody can get it that low its nbd, I'll just keep what I got :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know the real numbers, is the 24K average trade in value or clean retail? Is the car in high demand or a specialty vehicle? Dealers are less willing to deal on cars like that. I could ask a million questions but if 34K is where you need to be, tell the guy. Look, I can't make this deal work. I need to be at 34K and that's not going to happen, that's OK, you have my number, if things change let me know.

I've never tried to close a gap that big, but I did get another 2K out of a dealer using the above approach when we bought our last car. I was in no hurry to buy, so I walked. 2 weeks later they called me and said they could make it happen.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
How's a 2015 Mazda 3 I Sport for someone looking for an economical ride that isn't totally joyless to drive? My old Lexus has been faithful and hilariously cheap to own but I think it's time for something newer. Unless my Lexus would outlast it anyways then gently caress it.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

skipdogg posted:

I don't know the real numbers, is the 24K average trade in value or clean retail? Is the car in high demand or a specialty vehicle? Dealers are less willing to deal on cars like that. I could ask a million questions but if 34K is where you need to be, tell the guy. Look, I can't make this deal work. I need to be at 34K and that's not going to happen, that's OK, you have my number, if things change let me know.

I've never tried to close a gap that big, but I did get another 2K out of a dealer using the above approach when we bought our last car. I was in no hurry to buy, so I walked. 2 weeks later they called me and said they could make it happen.

24k is the private seller value, 21k-22k is what KBB guestimated for the trade-in value. As for high-demand, no, not really. It's mazda's halo car, and miata sales are down this year. The specific options I'm looking for are a standard offered package, but I haven't seen any locally thus far, and it seems to be rarer than when I bought mine, although I bought mine end of year 2017 vs browsing early 2019 right now. I pretty much did what you just said; sent an email to a few dealers saying "hey this is what I was quoted, I'm trying to get it down to 34k, if that's impossible I get it. I will be around, let me know if that price becomes possible or you find the car I'm looking for as a certified pre-owned or used."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kibbles n Shits posted:

How's a 2015 Mazda 3 I Sport for someone looking for an economical ride that isn't totally joyless to drive? My old Lexus has been faithful and hilariously cheap to own but I think it's time for something newer. Unless my Lexus would outlast it anyways then gently caress it.

Mazda 3s are great. They're an excellent compromise of economy, reliability, and driveability. My son has a 2016 and loves it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kibbles n Shits posted:

What lexus?

The mazda3 is good for those things though.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

What lexus?

The mazda3 is good for those things though.

2001 ES300. About to hit 200k. Overall it's in pretty decent shape, aside from some worn bushings in the rear suspension and a torn CV boot (I am going to at minimum replace the CV axle). But I've really taken a liking to 2015+ Mazda 3s and they're cheap enough. I buy a car like once every 5 to 10 years, excluding the Elantra I bought for my wife.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 9, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

carcinofuck posted:

Hi folks, I am looking for a / used / mid-size or larger / four-door / sedan or wagon / under $20k / that I can find with less than 100k miles.

For reference, I drive a 4 cyl '05 Accord, and have a Highlander which drives like a boat and is the stupid substitute for a minivan.

Priorities:
1. QUIET
2. little to NO BODY ROLL
3. a little more zip than a 14 year old Accord
4. reliable / low (cost of) maintenance (Japanese?)
5. decent MPG

I am fine with it being a little older, but probably not more than a decade. Preliminary google turns up the Lexus LS460 as a possibility? Opinions?

Infiniti G37 maybe? It's probably the sportiest of the Japanese luxury sedans, though it isn't super big. The M was not as good as the G although it's bigger.

I actually think you are a fairly good candidate for a Cadillac CTS. They are not as reliable as say, a Lexus - but they're quiet and if you get them with the magnetic dampers (called Magnetic Ride Control, package FE3 if I recall correctly) they corner really flat.

There just is not that much stuff that is bank vault quiet, corners flat, and is reliable. You kind of get to pick two.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Looking at a Mazda 3 still, is this a decent deal?

https://turbo.cars.com/vdp/765038004?partnerlf=bottom&aff=turbotrp27

It has all the features I want including the third pedal. I'll get a PPI done of course but I was wondering if I should shy away from the mileage (I don't know if this is a lot of miles for a Mazda 3)

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 9, 2019

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I'm looking hard at this car. I am curious if I can talk the dealer down to $8K, the KBB is $16K; however the title is rebuilt.

It seems the general recommendation is to take it to a mechanic and body shop before buying. Anything else I should be doing? Am I an idiot (probably)?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Presenting Nipples posted:

I'm looking hard at this car. I am curious if I can talk the dealer down to $8K, the KBB is $16K; however the title is rebuilt.

It seems the general recommendation is to take it to a mechanic and body shop before buying. Anything else I should be doing? Am I an idiot (probably)?

You're saving a bunch of money, but you're also taking on a huge load of risk. Were the repairs done properly? Are there still crumple zones? Is the frame bent? Is there exposed metal yet that will be a source of water ingress leading to severe rust?

It might be fine. It also might start literally falling apart in a couple years.

Know what you're buying. Personally, I run real fast from anything that's been salvaged.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Read the thread title. Rebuilt is the same as salvage.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Rebuilt title cars are fine with a good inspection, as long as you're comfortable paying cash and don't plan on carrying full insurance coverage. Most insurers won't cover a car that's already been totaled, and lenders won't offer a loan for a car with no insurance.

If you have to ask if a rebuilt title car is ok, definitely do not buy a rebuilt title car.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Read the thread title. Rebuilt is the same as salvage.

Yeah I looked at the OP and didn't see anything. Looking online seemed mix views - basically "it depends". I'll probably steer and I'm not really that close to buying anyways.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Looking at a Mazda 3 still, is this a decent deal?

https://turbo.cars.com/vdp/765038004?partnerlf=bottom&aff=turbotrp27

It has all the features I want including the third pedal. I'll get a PPI done of course but I was wondering if I should shy away from the mileage (I don't know if this is a lot of miles for a Mazda 3)

Well I guess this question was too vague and the answer is just "it depends" but if the mechanic greenlights during the PPI tomorrow I think I'm gonna buy it because it's rad as hell and even if I could get a lower mileage vehicle, a 6 speed manual is harder to find, especially with the options this one has. A hatchback with a manual transmission is right up my alley.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 10, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm skeeved out by turbocars.com selling non turbo cars

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There just is not that much stuff that is bank vault quiet, corners flat, and is reliable. You kind of get to pick two.

Curiosity, what are good options if I pick bank-vault-quiet and reliable? Eventually I'll stop being a cheap rear end and replace my early 2000s Matrix with something cushy. At 300K miles, the only of those three traits it offers is reliability. We recently rented a Camry for a 20-hour drive (mostly in one day), and it was like riding on a cloud in comparison.

So yeah, no particular budget in mind, but I'm wondering what are good options if I want a comfy cloud that runs forever and I don't care if it corners like an oversized Corolla.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Shine posted:

So yeah, no particular budget in mind, but I'm wondering what are good options if I want a comfy cloud that runs forever and I don't care if it corners like an oversized Corolla.

Toyota Avalon?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Shine posted:

Curiosity, what are good options if I pick bank-vault-quiet and reliable? Eventually I'll stop being a cheap rear end and replace my early 2000s Matrix with something cushy. At 300K miles, the only of those three traits it offers is reliability. We recently rented a Camry for a 20-hour drive (mostly in one day), and it was like riding on a cloud in comparison.

The nicest Lexus LS you can afford.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This is a terrible idea to buy a fr-s car thats already been crashed once.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

zapplez posted:

This is a terrible idea to buy a fr-s car thats already been crashed once.

Once it’s tasted a ditch it’ll come back for more. I’m afraid the only solution is to put it down.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

fyi here is how it looked at salvage auction:

In the other pictures, you can see the driver airbag was deployed. I personally would check it out closely in person before buying and if possible verify the airbag was replaced.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

heffray posted:

Rebuilt title cars are fine with a good inspection, as long as you're comfortable paying cash and don't plan on carrying full insurance coverage. Most insurers won't cover a car that's already been totaled, and lenders won't offer a loan for a car with no insurance.

If you have to ask if a rebuilt title car is ok, definitely do not buy a rebuilt title car.

lousy advice in my opinion unless you have an inspection from an expert that you know and entirely trust, complete and excellent repair documentation and the ability to accurately interpret the documentation

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Chunjee posted:

fyi here is how it looked at salvage auction:

In the other pictures, you can see the driver airbag was deployed. I personally would check it out closely in person before buying and if possible verify the airbag was replaced.

Thank you! The dealer actually sent me these photos this morning, so at least they aren't lying.

I've kind of settled on the thread's earlier recommendation of a GTI after doing a lot of research. I've also decided I want to pay with cash and not finance. It just isn't worth the car payment. Realistically, I only expect us to drive 100-200 miles a month over the next 2-3 years with maybe a couple of longer roadtrips. Being conservative, that means I'll drive about 10,000 miles over the next 2-3 years. I honestly think it will be quite a lot less. I'd like to buy one for about 5 thousand but I can go up to 10 thousand if it would give me a lot more value. I would just need to save for a few months. We don't have a car now, so I'm not in a rush.

Is there any years of GTIs to avoid? How many miles are too many? Is there someone which kind of has a synposis of the each year and the known issues?

Doing a quick search this dealer two at that price point.

Edit: Looks like MKV (2004-2008) might be the model years of choice for my budget?

Mean Baby fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 10, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Had a MKV. Didn't have real issues until it hit 80-100k, which seems to be the norm.

There's a CAM follower issue that is easy to catch and expensive if you don't. Guess people complain about the turbos being weak, but I didn't do any tuning and wasn't worried about it. Personally, my A/C went out twice and I had a bunch of minor electrical gremlins.

If you get one with a DSG, service is expensive. The early years (through mid-08, I believe) had a timing belt that should be done every 80k or so.

Edit, your link is a mk4, which I'd avoid. Those are the years with notorious electrical issues (even worse than what I experienced). The MKV refresh seems to have been a big upgrade. Price seems a tad high. I got paid out $7k for my 07 with 120k from my insurance, which I thought was more than it was worth (not that I complained).

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 10, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I've kind of settled on the thread's earlier recommendation of a GTI after doing a lot of research.

I'd check out the rails on that Scion and go with that over VW in a heartbeat. You could probably make a fuss over the crashbar or title and get a 1k discount or so. But I'm kinda in love with that coupe style and repair job. If you can detect bondo on the hood there's another discount for ya.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chunjee posted:

I'd check out the rails on that Scion and go with that over VW in a heartbeat. You could probably make a fuss over the crashbar or title and get a 1k discount or so. But I'm kinda in love with that coupe style and repair job. If you can detect bondo on the hood there's another discount for ya.

Stop telling the guy who knows gently caress all about cars to buy a rebuilt title toyobaru

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chunjee posted:

This is seriously some of the worst advice I've seen on here. Do not buy the crash car unless you also like smoking unfiltered cigarettes and banging bareback. You are putting your life in your hands.

Also its going to be worth nothing when you try and sell it in a year or two because its an FR-S and they don't last anyways.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

zapplez posted:

Do not buy the crash car unless you also like smoking unfiltered cigarettes and banging bareback.

New thread title please

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would advise against FRS for anything other than short around town trips. The suspension isn't comfortable, there is barely any storage space, and you have to fold backwards into the low slung seats. You not bringing home anything other than bagged grocceries and those road trips you thinking about, are better off in a rental sedan. Cheaper too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zapplez posted:

Do not buy the crash car unless you also like smoking unfiltered cigarettes and banging bareback.

both of these have upsides unlike buying a rebuilt title car