Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’m enjoying reddit’s assumption that he won’t come with his own free unit despite having Alith Anar and his free unit clearly suggesting otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’m enjoying reddit’s assumption that he won’t come with his own free unit despite having Alith Anar and his free unit clearly suggesting otherwise.

They played him on stream and he doesn't have a free unit. Funnily enough they disbanded his Terradon units for their army replacing them with Rippers because "they are better for him". I guess it's possible and would be awesome if the patch drops next week and there's another free unit for the lizardmen to go with him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Every time I see a picture of a lizardman I hear slowbeef doing the ridley voice.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Oh no the guy we are getting for free isnt completely optimized unless we drop 7 bux for a content pack that includes a bunch of other cool stuff. I am outraged.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pontus comics but for Pterodactylii.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like his ME start is at the bottom of the map south of Settra.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Yes he starts in the Great Desert of Araby province in ME. Also he starts with his terradon mount Zwup from the start no need to put a point into it. His steam page is up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, there's also the gameplay aspect. As I've said, a Bretonnian Lord that isn't a Grail Knight and is more about the "mundane" aspects of Bretonnia does stand out. Bohemond sounds like a combat Lord with a specialty against large units, which is fine, but he won't stand out as much like Alberic's KotR-heavy army versus Louen's Grail Knights and the Fay Enchantress' Pilgrim swarm with Guardian support.

I'm still hoping for Repanse de Lysonne. Straight up fantasy Joan of Arc, probably emphasize a peasant heavy army with few knights.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

All T^3's Skink heroes start with a Terradon mount :catstare:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dang, too bad they didn't add the Coatl.

Speaking of, there's no info on whether the Manifestation of Sotek is a spell or a campaign effect or an (unlikely) unit, is there?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Reddit isn't as bad about TikTakTo as I had thought it would be. The biggest issue seems to be that half of TikTakTo's skills affect Ripperdactyls, the phrase 'Ripperdactyl Paywall' is being tossed around plenty because of it.

A paywall of 8 EUR.
Some people haven’t played “F2P” games I see.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbh I doubt anyone still following and playing TW2 won't be buying the DLC in the first place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

Tbh I doubt anyone still following and playing TW2 won't be buying the DLC in the first place.

I haven't bought most of it. Never got into playing Lizards so probably won't buy this one, either.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

RIP dreams of Araby

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I will probably buy the DLC on sale. Just not that interested in it compared to other games right now.

But Araby I would totally go buy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wonder if the Total War games DLC (and Paradox stuff as well) break the convention that DLC usually sells around 25% to 30% of what the base game sold?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

RIP dreams of Araby

Wait, why

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm guessing the implication is that there's less and less room for them now. But I'm not so sure, Araby's to the West of Khemri (and Tiktaq'To is to the south right?), and most of that is still occupied by Bretonnia crusaders. You could still put Arabyan factions in there, and a couple, might even make sense to place in the New World (they are famous seafarers and traders) or in the Old World (the Border Princes need some variety and starting positions, and you can justify placing just about anything there).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 10, 2019

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Actually in all reality it probably doesn't effect it one way or the other, BUT tiktakto's start position makes things crowded

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Chad Jihad posted:

Actually in all reality it probably doesn't effect it one way or the other, BUT tiktakto's start position makes things crowded

Taken a look at The Thunderdome Lustria lately?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mordja posted:

I actually only bought it when it went on the recent big sale, the entire game and any cheap DLC. I like total war games but the CA DLC approach is a big part of why I stopped buying them. That and I can only play so many games about mans with spears fighting other mans with spears.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I actually only bought it when it went on the recent big sale, the entire game and any cheap DLC. I like total war games but the CA DLC approach is a big part of why I stopped buying them. That and I can only play so many games about mans with spears fighting other mans with spears.

What's bad about CA's DLC approach? It seems downright benevolent compared to others on the market? Generally speaking the content is in your game whether you own the DLC or not, meaning you can encounter it in the hands of the AI, owning the DLC then typically only activates the ability for the player to use it. Seems reasonable to me.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Araby would just make arkhan the blacks start so much harder on either map. I am all for this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While Mortal Empires is great and all, if they do something similar for Warhammer 3 I'd rather they go back and redesign the entire campaign map so it's not as squished as ME is becoming.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks more like the map on Steam isn’t updated and he actually starts in Tlaqua, which will be added to ME.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/2367561/#Comment_2367561

Also, yeah, I don’t know how CA doesn’t have the best DLC model of games in its genre. It’s incredibly fair.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I feel like they could easily combine half the Empire's provinces in the same way the Bretonnian dukedoms are combined.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

While Mortal Empires is great and all, if they do something similar for Warhammer 3 I'd rather they go back and redesign the entire campaign map so it's not as squished as ME is becoming.

I want a map that is closer to how battle fleet gothic 2 works. More of an idea, abstract, than precision movements that the AI does better than you.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Anno posted:

Looks more like the map on Steam isn’t updated and he actually starts in Tlaqua, which will be added to ME.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/2367561/#Comment_2367561

Also, yeah, I don’t know how CA doesn’t have the best DLC model of games in its genre. It’s incredibly fair.

So is CA just going to piecemeal add in the rest of Lustria and the Southlands to the ME map?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Randarkman posted:

What's bad about CA's DLC approach? It seems downright benevolent compared to others on the market? Generally speaking the content is in your game whether you own the DLC or not, meaning you can encounter it in the hands of the AI, owning the DLC then typically only activates the ability for the player to use it. Seems reasonable to me.

People still don't like buying extra stuff after paying for the game. It's a mentality thing. Note how once people start dropping money on f2p games they're totally fine with it even though they end up paying well past the cost of a AAA game over time.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Eej posted:

People still don't like buying extra stuff after paying for the game. It's a mentality thing. Note how once people start dropping money on f2p games they're totally fine with it even though they end up paying well past the cost of a AAA game over time.

I understand the argument applied generally, i just don't see how CA's DLC policy has been particularly bad compared to other games.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
The way CA handles DLC is much better then how most other AAA games handle it. At least CA doesn't have exclusive factions that are only available for pre-order, or from buying from gamestop, or buying Mtn Dew or w/e the gently caress. They don't sell faction recolors or alternate unit appearances, etc. You pay 8-20 for a CA DLC, and for the vast majority of those DLCs you get your money's worth, not so for most AAA game dlc/passes/expansions. It's not perfect, but they're the least predatory and there's no hint of fomo BS tactics in sight at least for now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Azran posted:

I feel like they could easily combine half the Empire's provinces in the same way the Bretonnian dukedoms are combined.

I really hate the current Empire map. Theoretically I’d be fine with either more settlements or squishing it together. As is it has a ton of empty space.

I know the lore has the Empire emptyish but it’s still supposed to be populous in comparison to elsewhere. Trying to cross somewhere like Talabecland shouldn’t feel emptier than crossing the drat Sahara.

The current Empire feels like they did the Europa Universalis thing of embiggening it to make it the center of the action, but instead of adding more to fight over they just kept the same amount of cities.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah the province/city density in loving Norsca is way higher than it is in the Empire or even the frozen north bit of Kislev, which is really strange to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Make the Empire denser and add more cities so it feels like uniting the Greek City states. Also means we could have Ubersreik show up and then with my aforementioned Legendary Heros idea, you could hire the bloody Ubersreik Five (or four, doesn't matter) as a Hero squad.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 10, 2019

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I mean, this isn't stuff that was promised with the base game, it's entirely new content? The only difference to what they did 20 years ago is they don't put them all together in an expansion pack and charge 40 bucks for it.
And, this is the hilarious thing to me, to play warhammer before this game would cost hundreds of dollars, and you'd have to find an opponent, and you'd have to buy all the rulebooks, and if you wanted a new army, that would be another hundred or so.
Also a factor in my crappy laptop running it on somewhat low settings, since otherwise i'd be painting them myself and they wouldn't look so good.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

jokes posted:

Got problems? Have you tried dropping rocks on them?

Daemons? Drop a rock on em.

Rebellions? Drop a rock on em.

Ethereal souls of fallen kings wielding magical ghostly blades and an unending hate for the living? Drop a rock on em.

I feel this works for most problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Total war games are mostly an exercise in seeing how much stuff can be sold off as DLC. They sell you everything and it costs a fortune if you want to buy it new. Making two (soon to be three?) games that are all basically DLC packs for each other is the next logical step in that. And frankly all recent total war games bar this one are incredibly lazy cash ins anyway. They're a million different variations on spear mans moshing each other to death. Other than this one they haven't done anything new since maybe shogun 2.

I like the game but I wouldn't pay full price for it and I'm definitely not buying Empire 2-5 where they'll sell you each theater as a new game with slightly different models. The setting and actual attempts to give factions distinct playstyles, plus the sale price got me to spend about a game's worth of money on a bundle of stuff, but no interest at all in spending several games worth of money on different coloured spear men in slightly different coloured forests.

Even though the warhammer 2 DLC is more interesting the latest one is still, like, what, 2 or 3 units for £6? gently caress off I'm not paying that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 10, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ardent Communist posted:

I mean, this isn't stuff that was promised with the base game, it's entirely new content?
I dont know or care what was promised in the base game, *twitch* this new stuff rocks and *scratches neck* I want more of it!

Ardent Communist posted:

The only difference to what they did 20 years ago is they don't put them all together in an expansion pack and charge 40 bucks for it.
That and 20 years ago you didnt have Steam or everyone with super fast internet connections to be able to easily download a tiny bit of content. It made snse to do fewer bigger 'expansions' or whatever when you had to produce hard copies and sell it in a storefront.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The DLC unit situation is unfortunate, but I am very down for Tiktaq as the FLC lord. We already have Kroq'gar and old bloods as melee duelist lords and Zlaaq and now Tehenhauin's stegadon for bullying infantry mobs, so "biggest saurus" and "biggest kroxigor" didn't really bring that much to the table. A flying duelist absolutely does, as one of the big issues that I've run in to in quick play is how hard it is to defend a skink priest from things like phoenixes or a foe seeker-ing Boris. Between Tiktaq and the RoR ripperdactyls, lizards might be able to genuinely contest the sky.

I do hope that Kroq'gar/old bloods/scar vets get a bit of a buff, though. It's very hard for me to justify bringing any of them over a feral carnosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Total war games are mostly an exercise in seeing how much stuff can be sold off as DLC. They sell you everything and it costs a fortune if you want to buy it new.

It costs 40 bucks new. Less if it is on sale. You don't have to buy all the DLC when you buy the game. You don't need any of the DLC.

If you like an army, buy an army.