Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I tried to run away and bait the jump attack of the final boss to cheese him but I hosed up the timing often enough that it just didn't seem worth it for how long it would have taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Just beat the last boss. It's a relief to fight a posture-based fight after downing the optional boss, but I have to say i don't think the mechanics of combat really, really clicked until the last boss.

This game is awesome. The surge is free on ps4 and i've been tinkering with it but it's laughably archaic compared to this.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If you won the fight, it was valid.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Astrochicken posted:

Just beat the last boss. It's a relief to fight a posture-based fight after downing the optional boss, but I have to say i don't think the mechanics of combat really, really clicked until the last boss.

This game is awesome. The surge is free on ps4 and i've been tinkering with it but it's laughably archaic compared to this.

Yeah I was just getting impatient on NG+ but finally buckled down and played him straight up, deflected his poo poo, and won. He didn't give me much trouble in my first playthrough but in NG+ I let myself get sloppy.

Fwiw shadow rush and its upgraded version are both very good for phase two. Keeping just out of range of his attacks and then a quick shadow rush while he's recovering does a lot of vitality damage.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Beat genichiro :toot:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

junan_paalla posted:

Beat genichiro :toot:
I think you mean Gonichumi :colbert:

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I got the green monkey with the bell but yeah it seemed too easy to just murder all the others on the roof tops.

The presence of the invis monkey confused the heck out of me until I read the thing about the boss name in Japanese having a mysterious comma at the end that hints at him.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ixjuvin posted:

The resurrection strike clears as soon as you pick up any amount of resurrective power - the little pink glowies you hoover up from dead guys or from deathblowing bosses. It's not strictly from deathblows.

In which case eating a Dragon Blood Droplet would also clear the cooldown, wouldn't it? That's a use for the excess ones right there.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Blaziken386 posted:

I think you mean Gonichumi :colbert:

Is Grandfailson acceptable? :haw:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Pyrus Malus posted:

I got the green monkey with the bell but yeah it seemed too easy to just murder all the others on the roof tops.

The presence of the invis monkey confused the heck out of me until I read the thing about the boss name in Japanese having a mysterious comma at the end that hints at him.

I never realized there was another one until reading this thread. I guess I killed it accidentally while chasing the others on the rooftops...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mindblast posted:

Is Grandfailson acceptable? :haw:

He's adopted, not Isshin's fault he's a loser.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pyrus Malus posted:

I purely got lucky with him. I didn't even think about there being a fourth until I accidentally bumped into something invisible while creeping around. I thought "it's not like this game to have random impassible space" so I attacked it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

My monkeys:
Invis? No idea. Must have been when fighting terror droids.
Got one near the bell when I rung it and saw him up on the ledge.
Jumped down on one when I was chasing him and he went into some room.
And the last one landed right in front of me when I was standing on a roof looking for the one I had been chasing.
Pretty sure that's not the intended way of taking these guys out.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's glaringly obvious that the greatest failson of all is the fourth monkey. Killed by hundreds, possibly thousands, with them not even trying.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

il serpente cosmico posted:

I tried to run away and bait the jump attack of the final boss to cheese him but I hosed up the timing often enough that it just didn't seem worth it for how long it would have taken.

Yeah I tried the cheese tactic for a while but couldn't make it stick like the videos, so I went all in on parry and deflect and just toughed it out until I got it.

It also felt really good to trounce the very first boss in NG+ now that I knew what I was doing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's hard to be genichiro

you pour your entire life and fortune into defending this hardscrabble little estate from the grasping hands of the larger government, knowing all the while that they only see you as a threat because your crazy granddad keeps sneaking out of his bedroom in a silly mask and cloak to murder people by the score

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yeah I tried the cheese tactic for a while but couldn't make it stick like the videos, so I went all in on parry and deflect and just toughed it out until I got it.

It also felt really good to trounce the very first boss in NG+ now that I knew what I was doing.

Any time I tried a "cheese" tactic (like the ones for Butterfly), I just got unceremoniously dunked on. So I more or less just had to learn all the boss patterns and when to be aggressive, when to parry, and when to dodge for some Vitality damage

Oxxidation posted:

you pour your entire life and fortune into defending this hardscrabble little estate from the grasping hands of the larger government, knowing all the while that they only see you as a threat because your crazy granddad keeps sneaking out of his bedroom in a silly mask and cloak to murder people by the score

And all your defensive establishments are wiped out by a single shinobi because you wouldn't stop picking on his little buddy

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Skypie posted:

Any time I tried a "cheese" tactic (like the ones for Butterfly), I just got unceremoniously dunked on. So I more or less just had to learn all the boss patterns and when to be aggressive, when to parry, and when to dodge for some Vitality damage

I tried to cheese butterfly with that flying swallow move and I guess I kinda did but I still had to watch for when she managed to escape every minute or so to make sure I reacted correctly.

So, IDK these games are kinda built assuming you will be ruthless and the bosses will every so often just gently caress you in return.

Reminds me of:

There was a famous Judoka who was notorious for throwing everyone with one throw. One day a guy asked if he could please do something else, as they felt him just doing that one throw over and over was unfair. He responded: "when you stop it I will do something different".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Whatever kills the boss in the least amount of time played is the best strategy imo

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Control Volume posted:

Whatever kills the boss in the least amount of time played is the best strategy imo

Speaking of which, the final level axe against the fake ghost monk? Oh good god! Like half its health gone in two hits on Playthrough 6. :stonk:

With that kind of opening it makes a parry heavy strategy take absolutely no time.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The last two bosses felt like some bullshit, but beating them is a tale of opposite reactions for me. When I beat Demon of Hatred I just felt mostly relieved that it was done with - I did not enjoy that fight. That said, realising who the one-armed demon was when he asked me to finish it was genuinely emotional so that pretty much made that fight a wash for me.

Finally beating the Isshin felt amazing. I didn't think it would, because I felt kind of cheesy how I beat him running around and getting in to hit him once - I took down his vitality without ever threatening his posture. I did take Genichiro down with a posture deathblow to start it, at least. I think part of it was that by the end of the fight I had used every item I had - the two Jhinzo statues (didn't end up needing the second one but I didn't want to risk it), my last divine healing item, all my pellets and the precious rice ball. And he was on a sliver of health and I was down to one hit and just, ugh it feels so good.

That said, I felt bad about not using the lightning in phase 3 or even really anything except running...but that's actually okay I think, after all, they intentionally left out the stamina bar after all, so I could run forever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's not how spoiler tags work lol

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Regy Rusty posted:

That's not how spoiler tags work lol

Whatever forest Annie.

(I fixed it)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rolo posted:

I didn’t use any of the rooms or traps, I ran the little bastards down. Didn’t realize there was an invisible one, poor little fella must’ve gotten in the fray.

I had the ideal run: snuck the speak monkey first, chased the see monkey to the black room, ruined the eardrums of the listen monkey, then ran around aimlessly killing monkey spectres on the rooftops and getting frustrated until I saw a stray footfprint, had an aha moment, and turned around with deliberate and murderous intent to strike a single and precise blow into the monkeybrain of my diffuse foe.

Regy Rusty posted:

This is what happens when we change the thread title!!!

lmao

Funky Valentine posted:

He's adopted, not Isshin's fault he's a loser.

:pants:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/komemerda/status/1115804752774881280
:allears:

Oxxidation posted:

I love that Isshin is basically Sengoku Batman

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU OWL

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Need to get a little direction on where to go. I re-met my friend the giant snake and found some bloody chunks that look like fruit. Then I killed the SON OF A BITCH ZOMBIE APE, seriously gently caress that fight expecting to find the path to the next area, but all there was past the fog gate was a flower.

Where do I go from here?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Bring the loot back to your little black haired friend

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Forgot to note, the Armored Knight actually managed to kill me in my newest run. He broke my posture and then knocked me off the bridge. :smith:

ROBERTTOOOOOOOO

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

HenryEx posted:

Bring the loot back to your little black haired friend

I did. I still need to find a "stone" and he went on a bit about a special tree behind the castle. Is that where I want to go?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Need to get a little direction on where to go. I re-met my friend the giant snake and found some bloody chunks that look like fruit. Then I killed the SON OF A BITCH ZOMBIE APE, seriously gently caress that fight expecting to find the path to the next area, but all there was past the fog gate was a flower.

Where do I go from here?

back to kuro

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He should have given you a hint of how to find the stone. If he won't repeat it: Check out the well where you started the game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Popular Human posted:

I did. I still need to find a "stone" and he went on a bit about a special tree behind the castle. Is that where I want to go?

hm.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So what's the strat for Hirata Owl. Because this is dramatically unfun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

Forgot to note, the Armored Knight actually managed to kill me in my newest run. He broke my posture and then knocked me off the bridge. :smith:

ROBERTTOOOOOOOO

I will remember you, and protect your son.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The furry visual interpretations of Sekiro are already popping up. It hasn't been a month.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ha ha source? ha haha. Just want to see what it is so I can laugh at it lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you call your protagonist "wolf" then you deserve what you get

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty sure there were furry interpretations of the characters from sekiro negative 5 minutes from when the game was announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The furry visual interpretations of Sekiro are already popping up. It hasn't been a month.

What is Genichiro's fursona