Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Now eventually you might have graduates on your, on your magical graduate school, right? Hello? yes?

For all the jokes about first years this week, I don't think Quentin, Alice and Penny have even completed first year yet, right? Compared to the books where they're all graduated before they even go to Fillory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whalley posted:

Oh no I'm having a lot of feelings about Q/Alice

They're gonna love triangle this bitch aren't they.

Whatever, just gimmie more Margot.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Rest in peace, first -years.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

They're gonna love triangle this bitch aren't they.
I hope not, but probably

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just happy they didn't do the predictable and have the time displaced couples bang and then Q switch back mid bang.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Whatever, just gimmie more Margot.
New thread title.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sure, it was silly, but the banana made me chuckle.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've got a bad feeling about how Everett's going to deal with this 'incident' Fogg's created, now that we have a sense of the scope of heavy Ev's ambitions

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
So was Everett the young librarian that helped hide the binder?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's probably a safe bet.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
For the briefest of moments I was worried that they might draw out the Q/Alice thing into something frustrating, but given how insanely quality the writing has been this season all this episode did was fully convince me that Q/Eliot is going to be the endgame (assuming there is a remotely happy endgame in the first place).

That being said, it was weirdly refreshing seeing Quentin go back and interact with Alice pre-loving everything up. It definitely wasn't happy or remotely comfortable, but something about his kind of resignation and apologetic-yet-firm feelings felt like he really grew from how he was before. It would have been easy to paint him as feeling conflicted about telling Alice no, but he wasn't.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
alice's whole sequence of facial expressions after quentin explains how it feels when he mends small objects was truly heartbreaking, excellent work by olivia taylor dudley

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Feeling a lot more sympathy for Alice knowing now that she wants to stay because she loves Q more than anyone realized.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
It’s heartbreaking knowing that as smart and talented Alice is she’s still clinging to her failed relationship because it’s the only good relationship she ever knew. With Q having experienced a lifetime with other loves it seems to be the one area where he knows more than she does and she can’t cope with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We we dont know how the passage of time worked for her while she was an evil magic bitch. She might be 100000 years old and the memory of her and Q is the only good thing she ever experienced.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The best gag was definitely Josh buying in to the "Eating Out with Josh Haberman" hallucination.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wrong thread

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Rhyno posted:

We we dont know how the passage of time worked for her while she was an evil magic bitch. She might be 100000 years old and the memory of her and Q is the only good thing she ever experienced.

Isn't it implied that this is the case? Counting human life and life as extra dimensional magic being her time with Q is still the best thing to have happened to her. However long she was out there she spent it cutting things up and being an rear end in a top hat.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That’s pre-niffin Alice talking then to current Q, vs post-niffin Alice that we have now. At the same time, they wouldn’t have written it this way if it wasn’t what we are supposed to take away from that scene.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Which is to say, Alice will replace Margo in the reprise of the season one scene that drives Q and Alice apart.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sorry everyone else on the show, my heart now belongs to Fen.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Dean Fogg's five seconds of magic was the coolest magic this show has done in basically two seasons

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dean Gogg rules. Even lizard-lick induced hallucination Dean Fogg.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Super bummed that they're putting Quention and Alice back together instead of Quentin and Eliot. This is some straight bullshit.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nihonniboku posted:

Super bummed that they're putting Quention and Alice back together instead of Quentin and Eliot. This is some straight bullshit.

More like heterobore-mative...

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
yo if Q and Alice are gonna get back together (and i can maybe understand from Q's perspective--he's still uncertain about their ability to save Elliot, so at this moment, he's... holding on to anything good he has), at least give them a scene where Q tells her about his life with Elliot.

But i'd much rather have Q/Elliot than Q/Alice.

mycomancy posted:

More like heterobore-mative...

This.

Woden
May 6, 2006
A couple of episodes ago I wanted Alice banished from the show, but that speech and thing that she did with the memory wipe spell really turned my opinion around. Ya'll are haters.

Besides, they could always do some polyamory thing when Eliot is back anyway.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I got a bit lost at the start; where did the sister come from? So the monster kidnaps a doctor from a bar a few episodes ago, then next we see her she's unconscious or dead on an altar, then he pushes his sister's spirit into Julia. What did I miss?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Woden posted:

Ya'll are haters.

You don't spend a whole season teasing a queer romance, only to yank it out under everyone's feet and give us back a toxic straight romance.

Woden posted:

Besides, they could always do some polyamory thing when Eliot is back anyway.

That would only force the narrative that romance is only possible when a woman is present.

Argue posted:

I got a bit lost at the start; where did the sister come from? So the monster kidnaps a doctor from a bar a few episodes ago, then next we see her she's unconscious or dead on an altar, then he pushes his sister's spirit into Julia. What did I miss?

Oh, was that the woman from the bar? I guess I missed that too. They've been a little sloppy with the editing this season, if that's the case.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I know this is against the generally positivity of the show, but I would like us to consider the gently caress Marry Kill amongst Q, Alice, and Elliot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Try not to Todd this up."

Edit:

The Magicians Season 4: Did you gently caress this fish?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 11, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh, was that the woman from the bar? I guess I missed that too. They've been a little sloppy with the editing this season, if that's the case.

It was understated but the woman at the bar mentioned that she had to call her parents and tell them that the few months of treatment were useless and she was terminal. So the beast had to find a new host and took Julia since she couldn’t die.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
yeah i dont think they fully explained it/i didnt expect her to float out of the woman but it was stated they needed a dying woman to be able to resurrect her. Soemthing like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Because the Beast had all the pieces he was able to bring his sister back but she also needed a host. The bar girl didn't work because she was already dying so he just chose a body that was already a god.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

yeah i dont think they fully explained it/i didnt expect her to float out of the woman but it was stated they needed a dying woman to be able to resurrect her. Soemthing like that.

It was a bit confusing, I thought he was going to sacrifice her and chose an already dying woman in order to misguidedly keep Q happy.

Loved the episode overall. Even the librarian wanting to become a god thing turned out to have interesting and internally consistent logic rather than just a standard evil megalomaniac.

I do wonder why they keep bringing the author back into the story though. I doubt there are very many people who want to see him get any sort of redemption arc, but repeatedly reintroducing him just to kill him off over and over is a bit much.

The bit with Alice feeling conflicted about whether sending him to the poison fountain made her a good or a bad person was interesting but I'm struggling to think of where they're going to take it this time to make me think it was worth it brining him back yet again.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The dying part was a red herring because we thought it was bait for not-Aries, but the dying girl in the vision was his sister being killed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They have done wonders with making Quentin a likeable character.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Rhyno posted:

They have done wonders with making Quentin a likeable character.

Yeah, and I feel The Magician's Land did the same. This plot is definitely created for the show but there are some beats that happen in the book.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hope in the next season Fogg has to spend even more time out in the field

and I wonder what Julia's happy place could even look like, if Elliot's was the Physical Kids house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Best thread title ever.