Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

Running around before the final boss, still short 3 prayer beads

Either there's a few minibosses I haven't found, or I'm gonna have to go diving in every puddle I can find

If you haven't done stuff to trigger a revisit to the estate you aren't getting 2 of those regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
man I'm gonna end up buying this fuckin game I can't even beat a second time on PC to play with mods

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

Either there's a few minibosses I haven't found, or I'm gonna have to go diving in every puddle I can find

Hidden walls?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
ENB says Sekiro has sold 2 million copies. DS3 sold 3 million in about 6 weeks.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

enojy posted:

Not possible. I got pseudo-trolled by that eavesdrop/tooltip, too. If you ditch the spear and keep at it, you can even get the same pity victory that I did!

Actual strategy: it's impossible to do vitality damage to him, and the only way to succeed in the fight is to deathblow him out of one of the windows after he breaks it. If you manage to deathblow him 3 or 4 times, he strongly suggests that you're a weak bitch and the only way he's going out is out the window.

Well poo poo, gently caress me for thinking the armor destroying spear would somehow destroy armor I guess. Thanks, time to blow his armored rear end out a window.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Blaziken386 posted:

there's a few new minibosses you can access only after triggering the endgame, aside from the samurai in the critical path that you probably already saw, check the dojo below isshin's room and the place where the second general was hanging out right before the giant snake canyon in outskirts

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm kinda interested in the long tail, and also what their pre-orders and first two weeks will look like for their next game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
OH poo poo, re: missing prayer beads - did you do the steps for the purification ending? There's two beads in there that are inaccessible until NG+ if you didn't. Also, maybe check the offering box.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

armored warrior

My enjoyment at having a strategy I completely pulled out of my rear end on a whim work against him totally overshadowed my annoyance at the one tool that should have cracked that fight having absolutely no effect. That said, the spear is such a dud. I think I saw a single loosely-armored opponent in the game? It didn't matter as I stealth kill all the Taro Troop guys anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pro tip for the Snake-Eyes bosses - oil, a Flame Vent, and Living Force is extremely effective against them. Takes a third of their health every time you land it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Well poo poo, gently caress me for thinking the armor destroying spear would somehow destroy armor I guess. Thanks, time to blow his armored rear end out a window.

It does exactly what the item description says, that's entirely on you dude :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
how do so many people claim they were "tricked" by the spear conversation and description when it mentions multiple times that it's only effective against enemies with poorly fitting armor and specifically mentions the dude literal meters away from the conversation. Armored Warrior isn't even remotely close by, he's practically on the other side of the world :iiam:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
because that guy is a dumbass taro troop normal enemy that you can stealth kill or just alert and run from, like a normal rear end ninja, instead of honorably dueling him with your spear

it's really not stupid to think the tool with the explicit purpose of stripping armor might work on the boss literally called ARMORED warrior whose gimmick is that he doesn't take vitality damage, on account of his powerful armor

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I'm kinda interested in the long tail, and also what their pre-orders and first two weeks will look like for their next game

Same. Reviews are still mostly positive. The only real knock is game is hard. I would think Souls die hards are baked in to that 2 million and people that stayed away from Souls because it's hard definitely won't buy later. Bet it comes pretty close to DS3 numbers two months out though.

As for pre-orders for the next game, if it's Sekiro 2, personally I'm out. I'll wait for it to be $20 or less. Not paying full freight for a homework game.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

If you didn't unlock a certain zone, there's 2 of them you can't access

Some easy to miss ones though:

The building where you first meet Tengu has one way up in an attic you gotta grapple into

There's a revolving door before Butterfly in Hirata

There's also a revolving door by the upper antechamber of Ashina Castle. it's between the two suits of armor in a room with the blue samurai. I'm suddenly forgetting if that's a seed or bead though

Mibu has one in the lake but I think there's also one sitting at the base of the tree with white leaves. I ran by that item a million times

Underneath the Gun Fort where you fight Long Arm Centipede, you can see it if you drop below the floorboards and go right. To access it, you have to go left, grapple up then turn around and grapple back across the chasm. You'll wind up in an alcove with a baby centipede man and some lizards plus the item itself

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Umbrella-Hating Jim can only be slain by throwing oil on him and setting him on fire; why would you try to use the umbrella on him you idiot, you total noob

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm trying to think of other places I can try to go that I haven't been yet. Even after adding some skills that looked helpful, I'm still stuck on Butterfly and Seven Spears. I have't attempted the dude in the well yet. I haven't explored much around the castle, although I went right from the idol right after the bull, and was almost immediately sniped by some birdlike dude on an opposite roof. So I can go there or 2) up the stairs to a gank squad, 3) down in the pit under the bridge, 4) past where you jump down to get to the Reservoir. Can I get 3-4 easy beads out of these routes to make the bosses I'm stuck on just even more easy? Or am I really stuck progress wise unless I want to straight up grind for skills (that probably won't help me that much)?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It says poorly fitting. Armored swordsman is clearly a European guy in plate armor which is not poorly fitting.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

god i loving hate umbrella-hating jim

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Your Computer posted:

how do so many people claim they were "tricked" by the spear conversation and description when it mentions multiple times that it's only effective against enemies with poorly fitting armor and specifically mentions the dude literal meters away from the conversation. Armored Warrior isn't even remotely close by, he's practically on the other side of the world :iiam:

I thought they were talking about someone else too because I didn't read the big guy as even having armor, always thought he was just like in his underwear because most of his body is exposed and I was too focused on the giant bell

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

a life of hate made him vulnerable to fire

you're better than this, cowcaster

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

imweasel09 posted:

If you haven't done stuff to trigger a revisit to the estate you aren't getting 2 of those regardless.

there's a few new minibosses you can access only after triggering the endgame, aside from the samurai in the critical path that you probably already saw, check the dojo below isshin's room and the place where the second general was hanging out right before the giant snake canyon in outskirts
Got all these already, unfortunately.
I looked up a list, and apparently I did miss a miniboss? There's a Loneshadow hanging out by the Great Serpent Shrine idol during Owl's invasion, but when I went there, all I found was his impaled corpse and a Dragon Blood Droplet. Guess someone else already killed him? I'm gonna blame Tengu. Stop takin' my kills, Sengoku Batman! :argh:

Seems like I missed the one in Mibu Village and the one near where you first meet Tengu, so I can wrap those up pretty easily. Still, slightly annoyed that I won't have max health for the final 3 bosses.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The real use of the spear is to drag things, which is why you might deduce to drag the centipede out of the guardian ape. But you'd need to know about the centipedes in the first place and you might not if you go to sunken valley before senpou temple.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

This was in 10 days just for more perspective.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Sometimes I think I should give the spear a chance in regular combat since its gimmick is legitimately useful like once in the entire game, but then I remember its moveset doesn't work at all with the aggressive gameplay in this game.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Cowcaster posted:

I'm going to try bringing umbrella-hating jim to my fight against Cowcaster, wish me luck guys

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I didn't have a problem trying the spear on the Armored Knight because at the time, I did not have the spear so I got my axe and went ham :dota101:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The game makes a big deal out of the spear stripping armour, mentioning it multiple times in tool tips and loading screens, that makes people think it's going to be way more of a core mechanic than it actually ends up being.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They should make gyoubu's attacks strip the clothes from sekiro :wiggle:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

much like how umbrella-hating jim only shows up that one time but it seems like he’s going to be a recurring boss, i wouldn’t be surprised if when it was originally designed From expected to get more use out of the spear’s yank than it actually did

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

The game makes a big deal out of the spear stripping armour, mentioning it multiple times in tool tips and loading screens, that makes people think it's going to be way more of a core mechanic than it actually ends up being.

Yeah and every time it does that it uses the words "poorly fitting"!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dyzzy posted:

They should make gyoubu's attacks strip the clothes from sekiro :wiggle:

the item description actually has a translation error, gyoubu's armor stripping wasn't about ruining other people's armor at all!!

e: armored stripping

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

turns out the japanese character for “armor stripping” is the same as the character for “missed opportunity”

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I definitely think that they shouldn't have made such a big deal about armor stripping when it's such a minor mechanic.

However I never thought for a moment that Armored Warrior was what the spear was meant for since that didn't fit in with what the dudes on the bridge said or what the spear's description described.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Flannelette posted:

Is there a move that transitions quickly out of running?
I keep forgetting the run slash has a huge wind up and I keep trying to do a ninja gaiden and hit enemies while running past them.

Sprint > Slide > Prosthetic

Cowcaster posted:

there's a merchant you might have already encountered who might appreciate the information

Was pleased to see that his mercantile predation didn't spare him from the flames of hatred

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How many times are you supposed to hit the Armored Warrior with the spear prosthetic before his poo poo comes off? I've nailed him like 7 times and he's still not taking any vitality damage.

lol, he ain't wearin no Hot Topic armour

man I'm gonna end up buying this fuckin game I can't even beat a second time on PC to play with mods

:haibrow:

Look Sir Droids posted:

Holy gently caress, that Activision marketing :stare:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Thanks, time to blow his armored rear end out a window.

"BLOW IT OUT YOUR rear end"

Look Sir Droids posted:

Not paying full freight for a homework game.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Eraflure posted:

Sometimes I think I should give the spear a chance in regular combat since its gimmick is legitimately useful like once in the entire game, but then I remember its moveset doesn't work at all with the aggressive gameplay in this game.

The thrusting Spears are great for getting tons of damage in on someone at the start of the fight or during an opening (way more than the equivalent time spent doing R1 spam or thrusts). The cleaving spears are amazing at hitting large groups all at once, from a safe distance. Especially fun for the giant cluster of monkeys. Spear is only 1 emblem remember, it's extremelly efficient. Fire spear is probably too expensive for what you get, same with the fire axe - extra fire effect is not worth the extra emblem cost.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah and every time it does that it uses the words "poorly fitting"!

You think people actually read descriptions properly instead of skimming

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

You think people actually read descriptions properly instead of skimming

When they try and act like the game made a bad design decision, yeah!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest the whole I’ll fighting thing seems like bullshit as I don’t actually remember any enemies that actually had ill fitting armor

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest the whole I’ll fighting thing seems like bullshit as I don’t actually remember any enemies that actually had ill fitting armor

I thought it was going to be a miniboss for how hyped up they made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The three enemies it works on don't even look like they're wearing armour