Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Data Graham posted:

Florid language aside, it puts me in mind of a story I heard a long, LONG time ago (like back around 2000) of a cascading UPS/generator failure in which one smallish UPS died, the others in the bank it was in surged to pick up the capacity, that caused a spike that blew out a transformer further down the line, causing a big UPS or generator to come online that hadn't been tested in a long time, which failed, and its backups spiked, and the same thing happened again to the next thing that was 10x bigger, and so on and so on, resulting in several major office buildings going dark for weeks or something like that.

I've never been able to find this story (probably because I'm misremembering major parts of it, and/or because it's apocryphal), but does it ring any kind of bell with anyone?

This rings a bell for me, too. I can't remember the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"but then the panic also spread to the VMware clusters. They saw the end of the world approaching, and initiated full evacuation"

I really have to start using language like this in my RCAs. This is delightful.

Know your audience.

Some can appreciate an RCA that uses a light-hearted narrative style. (as long as the RCA identifies the root cause and how to avoid a similar situation in the future)

However, some will react with great wrath that you aren't taking this SERIOUS ISSUE SERIOUSLY. WHY DO WE HAVE JOKERS RUNNING OUR SYSTEMS?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey do you guys know if we have a thread here where I could look for some advice on MIME XML-binary Optimized Packaging (XOP)? I have to help a client learn how to accept a message in that format and my company is surprisingly short on documentation about it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

evobatman posted:

We had an... incident yesterday where absolutely everything went down.

Here is the summary by the guy who did it, google translated and edited for clarity:

Doing extremely dumb changes during production, but poetically.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Doing extremely dumb changes during production, but poetically.
Is that what DevOps is?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is that what DevOps is?

Not quite, the poetry tends to be more vogon-like :ohdear:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Super Slash posted:

What's wrong with this picture:

Is that not even a v2 chassis? :rip:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lol at running critical stuff on a chassis with a single decade-old power supply in tyool 2019.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Know your audience.

Some can appreciate an RCA that uses a light-hearted narrative style. (as long as the RCA identifies the root cause and how to avoid a similar situation in the future)

However, some will react with great wrath that you aren't taking this SERIOUS ISSUE SERIOUSLY. WHY DO WE HAVE JOKERS RUNNING OUR SYSTEMS?

Yeah and then you know who to ignore in the future.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A ticket came in: customer is complaining that the account activation link in their email is not working and that this is "SEVERITY 1 EXTREMELY URGENT".

Even glossing over the fact that such a request isn't even in the same galaxy as "extremely urgent", the email this jackoff is complaining about was sent... in January. No poo poo the activation link isn't going to work. :fuckoff:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

A ticket came in: customer is complaining that the account activation link in their email is not working and that this is "SEVERITY 1 EXTREMELY URGENT".

Even glossing over the fact that such a request isn't even in the same galaxy as "extremely urgent", the email this jackoff is complaining about was sent... in January. No poo poo the activation link isn't going to work. :fuckoff:

Require a notarized request sent via certified mail before sending another activation link.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got a request to clone two IDE drives running DOS that controls mission critical manufacturing equipment at our manufacturing facilities.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kyrosiris posted:

Love when these all happen on tax weekend, as everyone tries to login to various financial hidey-hole sites they haven't opened in months

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wibla posted:

Not quite, the poetry tends to be more vogon-like :ohdear:
Oh good... Oh yes, I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective. Oh... and er... interesting rhythmic devices too, which seemed to counterpoint the... er... er..... humanity of the... Ah yes, Vogonity (sorry) of the poet's compassionate soul, which contrives through the medium of the verse structure to sublimate this, transcend that, and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other,and one is left with a profound and vivid insight into... into... er... whatever it was the poem was about!

Nope, not at all entirely obsessed with the trilogy in five parts. Nope.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Reminds me of the time we were trying to decomm a data center and move the data to a new site. I'm probably going to mangle some details here, but that's because my team doesn't deal with servers, and we spent the whole day locked out of everything and watching from the sidelines, sipping beers and laughing at our colleagues. Anyway. From what I recall, the new data center came up, so they took down the old one...and then the new one choked on something unanticipated and went down hard. For whatever reason, not only did the old one fail to come back up in an attempt at getting prod running again on short notice, but the disaster recovery for the new data center was also broken on arrival.

We lost something like 14 hours worth of customer data. It was spectacular. People got fired over it. I still see co-workers wearing, "I Survived [That Event]" shirts in meetings sometimes, and that poo poo was like 3 years ago.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

GreenNight posted:

I got a request to clone two IDE drives running DOS that controls mission critical manufacturing equipment at our manufacturing facilities.

Clone to SSD?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788665&pagenumber=93&perpage=40#post492881523

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the hell can clone a FAT16 drive though?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

GreenNight posted:

Clonezilla?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GreenNight posted:

Use something that clones at the bit level?
https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Macrium Reflect can, according to their knowledge base. You'll need to hook it up to a modern computer though.
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Minimum+System+Requirements

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Awesome! I have an IDE to USB enclosure.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

GreenNight posted:

dd

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GreenNight posted:

What cloning software have you used that can't?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

fishmech posted:

What cloning software have you used that can't?

I was talking to the Acronis dudes via their website and they told me that they don't support FAT16. Maybe it does and the guy from India was feeding me a line.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

This was my answer.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm still waiting for the twist where GreenNight reveals that the drives he has to clone have crashed heads (or something similarly final), rather than this being a precautionary thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Geemer posted:

I'm still waiting for the twist where GreenNight reveals that the drives he has to clone have crashed heads (or something similarly final), rather than this being a precautionary thing.

No, it's working. Pretty sure we found an easier way though. Add the second drive as the slave and do xcopy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You know the perks of being at a company that used to do forensics in the early 2000's is I could just walk out the back and do that with a hardware device.

Thanks you letting me know WHY I can do that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I was talking to the Acronis dudes via their website and they told me that they don't support FAT16. Maybe it does and the guy from India was feeding me a line.
Curiously enough, the UEFI spec that Intel will be switching to exclusively next year, still requires support for FAT12.
I found out because that's what the new FreeBSD boot loader is written to until a few months ago.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yay, FreeBSD is still relevant enough to get a namecheck :neckbeard:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Yay, FreeBSD is still relevant enough to get a namecheck :neckbeard:
Reports, deaths, exaggerated, et cetera.
I am slightly miffed that it seems like an ever-increasing amount of people think the BSDs are just a flavour of Linux. In my experience, it just tends to run forever when you set it to do something.. It does figure in the 2019 StackOverflow survey, so that's something?
I have been running it for almost 20 years, though.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

D. Ebdrup posted:

Reports, deaths, exaggerated, et cetera.
I am slightly miffed that it seems like an ever-increasing amount of people think the BSDs are just a flavour of Linux. In my experience, it just tends to run forever when you set it to do something.. It does figure in the 2019 StackOverflow survey, so that's something?

I think FreeNAS still uses FreeBSD. That's been my only interaction with it. Seems solid enough, though, if the hardware it's running on isn't 20 some years old.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

D. Ebdrup posted:

:same: Wrote a giant book on it even

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GreenNight posted:

No, it's working. Pretty sure we found an easier way though. Add the second drive as the slave and do xcopy.
dd, Clonezilla, or other raw copy tools will give you a bit-for-bit perfect image of the source disk. xcopy won't get bootloaders or anything outside of the filesystem.

This may or may not matter on specialty equipment.

I'd definitely recommend using Clonezilla to store an image somewhere safe, then you can restore it to whatever hardware you want any time you need.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

wolrah posted:

dd, Clonezilla, or other raw copy tools will give you a bit-for-bit perfect image of the source disk. xcopy won't get bootloaders or anything outside of the filesystem.

This may or may not matter on specialty equipment.

I'd definitely recommend using Clonezilla to store an image somewhere safe, then you can restore it to whatever hardware you want any time you need.

Yeah good points. It's just DOS with some c++ apps that we no longer can compile. Supposedly it's being upgraded in Q3 after 20 god drat years.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"My Gmail connector doesn't work in outlook, I use my gmail account for business quite often. PLEASE ASSIST!!!"

:negative:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I think FreeNAS still uses FreeBSD. That's been my only interaction with it. Seems solid enough, though, if the hardware it's running on isn't 20 some years old.
Lots of appliances use FreeBSD; PS3 uses a mix of NetBSD and FreeBSD (which was suspected as a bunch of @sony.jp posts appeared on the ppc@ mailing lists, until it was confirmed officially), OrbisOS from PS4 is straight up FreeBSD 8.0 with a bunch of pretty UI on top (and even uses jails for isolation), as well as pfSense/OPNsense/m0n0wall (which FreeNAS was based on, originally), plus quite a few core, distribution and edge appliances (from various network companies such as Cisco, Citrix, Juniper, et cetera) along with storage vendors like NetApp, QNAP, Dell/EMC/Isilon.
Possibly the most famous use of FreeBSD nowadays is probably Netflix's content delivery network (their front-end runs on Linux via AWS, but FreeBSD serves the actual content).
Then there's a lot of rumors (some of which have been confirmed, others which are known by the developers but can't really be talked about publically) about its use in banking and government work, and many other sectors where GPL(v3) code is avoided as if it was the plague, because they're required by law to keep secrets.

As to the hardware thing; FreeBSD is picky, but it's no more picky than Linux was (and other opensource projects still are) before vendors started flocking on because of all the cheap server monkeys they could and still can hire.
That's not to say that you can't buy new hardware and have it work, especially after FreeBSD made use of the Linux KPI brought in with the OFED/fiberchannel stack, which enables it to get graphics card firmware from the FreeBSD ports tree, so that they can be kept more up-to-date than the in-kernel code (which has since been stripped). Plenty of the developers run FreeBSD on their laptops, and not all of them have ThinkPads anymore. Maybe I'm also in some bubble or something, but I've noticed a lot more people trying FreeBSD and finding out that their hardware actually works now where previously it didn't.

There's quite a few observations to be made about Linux and 1) its increasing vendor lock-in from a distribution point of view, 2) the result of the foundation being structured as a 501c6 rather than a 501c3 like the FreeBSD Foundation, 3) the sheer number of commits being done by commercial entities vs. the very few contributions from people working on their own time as well as 4) the increasing tendency of Linus and his leutenants who simply commit the code of others (who may well be contributing to his salary; not that there's anything inheritly bad with that - but it could be a conflict of interest).
If anyone's interested in talking about it, you can probably guess I have some opinions, so..

Data Graham posted:

:same: Wrote a giant book on it even
Oh, that's neat. I probably read your book then.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah good points. It's just DOS with some c++ apps that we no longer can compile. Supposedly it's being upgraded in Q3 after 20 god drat years.
You know damned well that they'll kid themselves by saying "if it's lived this long, it can live until the next budget", then rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

You know damned well that they'll kid themselves by saying "if it's lived this long, it can live until the next budget", then rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

The previous VP was told to retire and the new VP is all about spending money to get poo poo done. I don't agree with his management style but he put his foot down when he found out about this. He basically told his staff to make it current or else. I have about 15 years worth of emails and my boss backed me up when I said that I've known this was a nightmare and was overruled.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

The previous VP was told to retire and the new VP is all about spending money to get poo poo done. I don't agree with his management style but he put his foot down when he found out about this. He basically told his staff to make it current or else. I have about 15 years worth of emails and my boss backed me up when I said that I've known this was a nightmare and was overruled.
I hope it works out for you buddy, I just think declaring success before they're in-house and implemented is premature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I agree 100%. But I have faith. The motherboard on that PC died last week and manufacturing got a replacement from ebay, swapped the CPU, and got it all up and running without any IT involvement. I was impressed.

That basically scared the poo poo out of everyone and got a fire under their asses, hence having to clone the drive.