Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This is what I'm looking at.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You don't use the nailset until the nail is already all the way in or nearly so. It lets you push the nail below the surface of the trim, it's not for general hammering.

If you have a 1/16" drillbit, you might try drilling some pilot holes. You can also pre-hammer the nails into the trim, so that they're poking out a bit from the other side before you put the trim in place. Then you just press it in and hammer the nails the rest of the way.

If all else fails and you know you'll never want to remove the trim, there's construction adhesive.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You don't use the nailset until the nail is already all the way in or nearly so. It lets you push the nail below the surface of the trim, it's not for general hammering.

If you have a 1/16" drillbit, you might try drilling some pilot holes. You can also pre-hammer the nails into the trim, so that they're poking out a bit from the other side before you put the trim in place. Then you just press it in and hammer the nails the rest of the way.

If all else fails and you know you'll never want to remove the trim, there's construction adhesive.

Okay yeah that makes sense. I think I will just do the holes in the moulding and the vanity beforehand as you said.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

actionjackson posted:

This is what I'm looking at.

That is a much, much larger finish nail than you need, friend

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

That is a much, much larger finish nail than you need, friend

Right, yes, that's the other thing I meant to mention. The finishing nails you should be using are barely bigger in diameter than the nail set.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
*finishes hammering in railroad spike to vanity*

finishing what you say?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Right, yes, that's the other thing I meant to mention. The finishing nails you should be using are barely bigger in diameter than the nail set.

They actually are just barely bigger, but yeah... this is just what the person at the store said to use with this moulding. Are you saying it's too long?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

They actually are just barely bigger, but yeah... this is just what the person at the store said to use with this moulding. Are you saying it's too long?

It's both too long and too thick of a diameter. That's probably 1/2" quarter round, so all you need is a 3/4" tack nail

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Forget the nails caulk will hold that up, embrace your inner shoddy DIY.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Run a bead of solder all around the edge of the moulding.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's both too long and too thick of a diameter. That's probably 1/2" quarter round, so all you need is a 3/4" tack nail

Okay thanks. They certainly had that but I asked for something white so that's what he pointed me too. I didn't realize I could just putty over the nail head because I'm new to all this. Is the diameter really too high? It looks to be 1/8".

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Okay thanks. They certainly had that but I asked for something white so that's what he pointed me too. I didn't realize I could just putty over the nail head because I'm new to all this. Is the diameter really too high? It looks to be 1/8".

It's simply unnecessary, and making your job harder than it needs to be

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's simply unnecessary, and making your job harder than it needs to be

Okay I'll just get the shorter ones. What kind of diameter do I want? 1/16"? As I said the nailset I got was 1/32"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I hate to squash activity in this thread, there is a thread specifically for 'how do I do this' minutia.

Yeah or nay on the stools?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

there wolf posted:

As much as I hate to squash activity in this thread, there is a thread specifically for 'how do I do this' minutia.

How many people sit on a stool without at least one foot under it?

And as amusing as it is to sit on giant solo cups, they don't go with anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

there wolf posted:

I don't see a stool but you have a few trashcans upside down there?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

How many people sit on a stool without at least one foot under it?

Oh, I'm sure they're at least 16"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

those are really just upside down styrofoam cups

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

there wolf posted:

Nay. Although you could always flip them over and bob for apples.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

there wolf posted:

lmao so dedicated to the party life, you decorate your home with giant solo cups.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I appreciate how far this mansion goes in attempting to look old and rustic, even though most of it looks ridiculous.

It's worth clicking through all of the 104 photos, the landscaping reminds me of the former thread title "like a cougar habitat at the zoo".

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its just a bit much

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It feels like living in a Pinterest post about how to upcycle used wine bottle corks.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Where does one even get a Spanish Mission baby changing table

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

angerbeet posted:

Where does one even get a Spanish Mission baby changing table

San Francisco

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah some of it is kinda neat but overly done and the rest is just total overkill

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

How many rock quarries d'you suppose gave their lives for all that stone?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This fireplace really makes the bed rock!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Cool counter strike map

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I also really like the antique steamship chadburn, really fits the whole nautical theme of the place

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

*turns HDR up to 500%* need!! more!!! HDR!!!!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I feel uncomfortable just looking at that place, and I'm not even sure why.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Enchanted Hat posted:

I feel uncomfortable just looking at that place, and I'm not even sure why.

Because for a moment, you think a bit of Dollywood is on sale and you're not sure what that really means for humanity

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

I appreciate how far this mansion goes in attempting to look old and rustic, even though most of it looks ridiculous.

It's worth clicking through all of the 104 photos, the landscaping reminds me of the former thread title "like a cougar habitat at the zoo".

you forgot the mc

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PRADA SLUT posted:

you forgot the mc

Nah, that looks like the real deal. In the mc version all the stone and wood would just be veneers.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I don't get why so many homes are made to look like this. It all looks terrible to me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rosemont posted:

I don't get why so many homes are made to look like this. It all looks terrible to me.

A craving for something 'real' and 'authentic' in a disposable plastic world.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's shabby chic, the latest fad. You're so rich you can afford to buy expensive products that are carefully designed to look like they've spent the last fifty years being exposed to the elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

It's shabby chic, the latest fad. You're so rich you can afford to buy expensive products that are carefully designed to look like they've spent the last fifty years being exposed to the elements.

But not so rich as to afford genuine antiques.