Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, it'll be a while before you can respond to this, but that's an argument on the order of criticizing Shakespeare because he copied his plots from other sources. The plot is just the skeleton.

pratchett is not shakespeare and endlessly repeating your own two-bit joke plots because of the beta amyloid plaques in your brain is not the same thing as drawing on holinshed's chronicles or the mythological storehouse of Great Britain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
"pratchett reusing, beat for beat, the exact same scene in multiple books with only the proper nouns changed is the same as Ovid retelling the story of apollo & daphne" is really a hell of a take

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Come on, dude, Chernobyl only had one meltdown.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

:golfclap:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jedit posted:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

pratchett is not shakespeare and endlessly repeating your own two-bit joke plots because of the beta amyloid plaques in your brain is not the same thing as drawing on holinshed's chronicles or the mythological storehouse of Great Britain

He was 48 when Hogfather was published and therefore presumably about 46-47 while writing it; early onset alzheimer's obviously was a thing but are you seriously blaming the similarity of Hogfather to Reaper Man on the disease that wouldn't be diagnosed for another twelve-ish years afterwards?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
no that was a joke, i'm actually blaming it on his failures and laziness as an artist

Jedit posted:

nice

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

no that was a joke

I guess I didn't see the humor in it :rolleyes:

Why are you still here in this thread if you hate the subject of the thread so much?

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

DontMockMySmock posted:

Why are you still here in this thread if you hate the subject of the thread so much?

Same, but for the Trump threads in CSPAM.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

no that was a joke, i'm actually blaming it on his failures and laziness as an artist

well I suppose you'd know a thing or two about that

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

DontMockMySmock posted:

sorry, sometimes I forget that “discussing books” really means “exclusively and uncritically saying nice things about books”

Dr. Gargunza posted:

well I suppose you'd know a thing or two about that

swing and a miss

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Goddam

Please, Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em

Like seriously that was amazing but please let's keep the discussion focused books, not each other.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it really was very good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

it really was very good

A burn that takes a second to land is excellent and good

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I will say that repetition is definitely one of Pratchett's biggest weaknesses. When I was rereading the Watch series over the past month, for instance, it struck me that how many of them— Guards, Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo to a very small extent, and even The Truth all feature a plot to replace the Partician in some way. They're all executed well enough and differently enough that I personally don't mind, but it is a flaw that's worth mentioning.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I will say that repetition is definitely one of Pratchett's biggest weaknesses. When I was rereading the Watch series over the past month, for instance, it struck me that how many of them— Guards, Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo to a very small extent, and even The Truth all feature a plot to replace the Partician in some way. They're all executed well enough and differently enough that I personally don't mind, but it is a flaw that's worth mentioning.

Is that repetition of plot, though, or necessity of situation? Amkh-Morpork has a status quo that Vetinari maintains with ruthless skill. There isn't a way to change it that doesn't involve going through him.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

Is that repetition of plot, though, or necessity of situation? Amkh-Morpork has a status quo that Vetinari maintains with ruthless skill. There isn't a way to change it that doesn't involve going through him.

ankh-morpork is not a real place and terry pratchett has complete control over his plots. it's repetition of plot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Is this where we follow up with complaining about the books that touch on politics but don't focus on Ankh-Morpork politics as unnecessary cruft? :allears:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Tunicate posted:

The title is 'lingeria' and it has a guy in boxer shorts on the front, is that a lingerie pun?

The two are a coincidence but I did name it after a misspelling of Lingerie in a Spam email I got.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be

York_M_Chan posted:

The two are a coincidence but I did name it after a misspelling of Lingerie in a Spam email I got.

I wonder what it must have been like for Pterry. You come up with a few nice gag names like Vetinari and with the weight of ever more words these throwaway gags become real enough that people will puzzle over their psychology or dress up as them at conventions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ankh-morpork is not a real place and terry pratchett has complete control over his plots. it's repetition of plot.

It's also worth noting that Vetinari's hyper-competence comes from the Watch books themselves—If Pratchett had really wanted to, he could have either written Vetinari as less competent or written the plots in a way that didn't involve him as directly (Probably most easily in Men at Arms). Like I said, it doesn't really bother me since the books are executed well enough and differently enough that they don't feel like they have the same core plot three books in a row, but it is worth noting as an unfortunate tendency of Pratchett's.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IMO it's not super suspect that a book series where the same person, who nobody in the city likes, would be the subject of multiple assassination/removal attempts. At least the methodology between them is pretty different each time.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you to whoever recommend Mort to me. I finished it a short while ago and pretty much loved all of it. Mostly I liked Pratchett's humour in a fantasy setting, making light of fantastical things and how he presumes the reader is in the real world when making jokes, but their existence in the reality of the story itself is kind of unspoken. I can't remember any references exactly but I think it was like mentioning something as specifically real world as the Corby trouser press to illustrate a point about something happening in the Discworld. The story itself I found generally good. I found I didn't care too much about the plot by the end, but I did enjoy the fantastical journey Mort went on as Death's Apprentice.

It being the discworld 'series' am I likely to hear about any of the main characters in Mort again, or is it more than things will take place in say Sto Lat and Ankh Morpork but in drastically different times? I hope I haven't seen the last of Death. I really liked the character. My favourite scene was when he becomes the chef and begins to experience happiness for the first time.

It was recommended that I listen to Guards! Guards! next but I'm unable to find it in audiobook form that's not like £20 or on a CD. Can anyone recommend an alternative book or somewhere where I can listen that won't cost £20?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The DPRK posted:

It being the discworld 'series' am I likely to hear about any of the main characters in Mort again, or is it more than things will take place in say Sto Lat and Ankh Morpork but in drastically different times? I hope I haven't seen the last of Death. I really liked the character. My favourite scene was when he becomes the chef and begins to experience happiness for the first time.

Death shows up in pretty much every Discworld book. As for Mort, he and Ysabell dies and their daughter, Susan Sto Helit, becomes a recurring character

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The DPRK posted:

You'll want to read Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather and Thief of Time, those are all about Death, but the Discworld gimmick is also that he shoes up in every book in some capacity.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I think reaper man is even better than Mort

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd say the Death/Susan books go up in quality pretty consistently.

And I know it makes me a sucker, but I was glad Suana got a happy ending. She had to put up with so much bullshit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Reaper Man, Hogfather and Thief of Time are all extremely excellent books. Soul Music is solid, but you should definitely read it if you want to get into Death stuff because it introduces his granddaughter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually can totally see why someone would say that Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum are extremely similar but to not realize it was intentional seems, at best, like a willful misreading of both of them

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

precision posted:

I actually can totally see why someone would say that Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum are extremely similar but to not realize it was intentional seems, at best, like a willful misreading of both of them

but, here we are with chernobyl kinsman

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hell I'd even go so far as to say they were written specifically to dovetail together. Where Lords and Ladies is about how alien a noble ruling class is, even (especially) in modern times, Jugulum is about the reality of how those in power see their subjects; literally food that talks

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Began Reaper Man today. Really enjoying it. Great recommendation!

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

The DPRK posted:

How old is this Trump tweet, I can’t find it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The DPRK posted:

Have some tissues handy for the last, oh, fifth of the book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Death of Rats owns

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Have some tissues handy for the last, oh, fifth of the book.

Why?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

It gets super horny

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

What do you think?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bilirubin posted:

Death of Rats owns

SQUEAK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU