Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and it can't even nail the intended 90's setting/theme, from Alex looking like an aughts hipster to the poor economy (the economy was booming in the 90s) and Chondra's timeline makes no sense if it's suppose to be 1999.

This game's basically an unmitigated failure from top to bottom. It's functional, but that's all you can say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

This game's basically an unmitigated failure from top to bottom. It's functional, but that's all you can say about it.

But is it?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Leal posted:

But is it?

Overall I'd say yes. But there were tiny shreds of things that resonated with me. During one of Vella's long stories she talked about her music career and having a childish view of art in an adult world, that was something I had kinda experienced as well and thought it was kind of neat to hear about. These kinds of things are really few and far between though so (shrug)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ummmmm you're all forgetting something important: sweet baby kitty mouth.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

value-brand cereal posted:

Ummmmm you're all forgetting something important: sweet baby kitty mouth.

It turns out I'm going to have to go into New Game + for a special cutscene.

During that time, sweet baby kitty mouth is never leaving my party.

Because his attack doesn't involve a loving minigame.

I too will be doing a doors opening video. I just need to find a way to make it entertaining for 45 minutes

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

It turns out I'm going to have to go into New Game + for a special cutscene.

During that time, sweet baby kitty mouth is never leaving my party.

Because his attack doesn't involve a loving minigame.

I too will be doing a doors opening video. I just need to find a way to make it entertaining for 45 minutes

Well, the way you do that is cut out 44 minutes of it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

NewMars posted:

Well, the way you do that is cut out 44 minutes of it.

Right now my thought is do a chaos stream where I let anyone who's been a commentator come back into the Discord for 40 minutes and have it as an optional video.

Also the no commentary version tomorrow is going to have extremely little commentary.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 15, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 22 is up.

Special guests: Katherine Husky Hog. There was something in this episode she needed to see and she hated it.

So you know how we assembled everyone to go find the robo lady in her hobo van?

We have to assemble everyone to save the universe, with very little that's changed.

Some highlights:

1) Wolverine's Dark Forest;

2) Removing Barksy's head;

3) Katherine finds a lizard in her work bathroom.

I'm so sorry Katherine was playing with a bag of fundip and I couldn't politely find a way to tell her to put it down for a few minutes.

Cutscene Commentary On

Cutscene Commentary Off

Scabs features heavily in this one.

Edit:

I'm probably going to be dicking with the commentary order in the near future. For the last few episodes, I'll want people that have watched the LP because we're hitting endgame. But we're looking at 4-5 left.

If there's any specific commentator you want back for round 2, let me know.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 15, 2019

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Michael is not the sort of guy I can imagine with chest hair. He's too... twinky?

Also Chondra's voice actor, she tries so hard with the lovely material she's given.

And that character development speech about Alex suddenly desiring purpose and stop being lazy at the face of apocalypse is completely unearned. Has he shown any inkling of desire for this earlier in the game?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Rory's suicide joke, given this game, is tasteless.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Our hero, the man who screams at his mother for reporting him missing after he was missing for 5 days. :v:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If I shared the same reality as Alex, I’d be fine with the world ending. Like, I wouldn’t even have to know Alex personally, or that he exists. I would be see the world dissolving and think yeah, this is preferable for some reason. Goodbye.

You know what would be interesting? How a person reacts to interacting with their own self, from an alternate reality or universe, etc etc. Like in the movie Coherence, that was neat as gently caress. Or the movie Us.

Wait. Wait I’m sorry. Did you say the Black woman does not have a soul? That’s canon? WAIT. Is Chandra and Claudio supposed to be related to Alex somehow?? Why. I want to believe realities are collapsing and blending together because they don't deserve to be related to alex.

Also Bullshit! Alex was not looking for Michael ‘for the past week’! Alex was missing, wandering in a mind dungeon for a week. Or is the plot just not making sense for some reason??

BaDandy posted:

Our hero, the man who screams at his mother for reporting him missing after he was missing for 5 days. :v:

And also his mom just lets him gently caress off with a strange lady after being missing for 5 days. Like, I don't know about anyone else's parents, but even as an adult I'd get a verbal beating for being missing for 5 days and trying to ditch people again without explanation.

Anways, Grandma husky hogg post the nine inch lizard. Let me one finger poke it through my computer screen.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

GrandmaParty posted:

speed it up 45x and put Yakety Sax as the soundtrack

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Anways, Grandma husky hogg post the nine inch lizard. Let me one finger poke it through my computer screen.

Look at this good lizard! It was not the sort of lizard I was expecting.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

GrandmaParty posted:

Ooh, it's a cutie! I think it's a fence lizard?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

lightrook posted:

Ooh, it's a cutie! I think it's a fence lizard?

They determined it is a Texas Spiny Lizard but when i think fence lizard I think these dudes.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Essentia laughing is the stuff of nightmares.

Also of course the writers of this game didnt know how to write a scene between two women (who share the same soulwhatever at that), so we just follow Alex again.

And Michael has miraculously managed to become even more insufferable.

(And stop talking about leveling up for gods sakes!!!)

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 15, 2019

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
I like to put this Let's Play in the background while I'm doing stuff, but I started paying attention as of late and now I have to ask: when did this game turn into Persona?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Solar Tornado posted:

I like to put this Let's Play in the background while I'm doing stuff, but I started paying attention as of late and now I have to ask: when did this game turn into Persona?

Since Chondra decided thanksgiving mattered more than doomsday apparently.

It should also go without saying that Persona (3 in particular) did this whole doomsday thing far more effectively.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 15, 2019

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Solar Tornado posted:

We already had wannabe Igor crow a while ago.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

GrandmaParty posted:

🦎

That is definitely a lizard that sings moody alt rock songs about loving like an animal. Your wife, the esteemed Husky Hogg, is correct, as usual. Though I was expecting something wearing cowboy boots like a proper texan lizard.

10/10 would smudge my screen poking those cute tiger stripes!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay so on top of all of the other poo poo that we can rightly complain about in this shitpile of a video game, I'm gonna take a moment to talk about Y2K, the thing that the game is literally named after.

Alex's mother tells us the whole thing is a fiction created to sell people software. The writer will doubtless justify this portrayal by observing that Y2K day passed almost entirely without incident, because the whole thing was a fiction created to sell people software. This is the opposite of the truth, which is that :actually: Y2K day passed almost entirely without incident because of an unprecedented and thorough campaign of education, awareness, preparation, legislation, and advocacy. Do we even fully comprehend how much of a miracle it is that, during the loving nineties, an average citizen could even know that the Y2K bug existed, let alone what it was? Multiple governments and multiple sectors of industry (tech, obviously, but also insurance and litigation) collaborated over multiple years to agree and implement an approach. That January 1st 2000 was so uneventful is a triumph of humanity and a shining testament to our ability to work together to foresee, analyse, prepare for and ultimately avert an impending catastrophe. The whole endeavour is rich with symbolism to mine, and is a ready-made allegory that with the slightest effort can be evoked by almost any writer wishing to enrich their apocalyptic scenario. Especially one that was so inspired by the event that they chose to reference it directly, by name, multiple times, and set itself in a contemporary timeframe with its own events juxtaposed in parallel.

But no. YIIK, of course, is mindless of any of this. Why the gently caress would YIIK display any insight into the thing it was named after? Why would anyone expect YIIK to ever advance beyond the shallowest most surface level awareness of any of the things its writer wants credit for having referenced? What the gently caress would ever give us the faintest notion that YIIK has one iota of self-awareness, let alone self-analysis?

gently caress.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There are so many elements in Yuk that add absolutely nothing to its atmosphere. For example, you wouldn't know it took place in the '90s if it didn't explicitly tell you, especially with all the terrible anachronism jokes.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ramos posted:

Michael is not the sort of guy I can imagine with chest hair. He's too... twinky?

Right? Like, nothing of his character design makes me think he's a dude with that much loving body hair.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

OP, I hope you don't mind that I've watched almost every video so far at 1.5x speed so I can save time while getting the gist of it all. Amusingly(?), a good amount of the voiced dialogue still seems to drag on, like the cop at Alex's house.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took the thread this long to mention Persona, because that's the vibe I immediately suspected the writers were trying to evoke when I first saw Yiik's cutscenes. A lot can be said (and criticized) about the Persona series and its scripts, but one thing they do a pretty drat good job of is allowing the player to really get to know their characters, even the minor ones and their social links. Part of this is due to the sheer length of those games, both in play time and the fact that they span an entire year, but that's kinda the point - every day life is portrayed and juxtaposed with saving the world, or solving murders, or stealing treasure, and the characters inevitably grow on you. Each cast grows as well, and their true selves begin to shine through by the end of the story.

Like almost everything else it does, Yiik misses the mark entirely when it comes to character development. I can't wait to see how they try to shoehorn more of it into the game via an as-of-yet implemented calendar/schedule mechanic.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Persona also actually has good gameplay to it, like it has JRPG battles that work and function and are pretty good and it has systems supporting their combat gameplay that work together functionally and even if it has super duper long bosses those are the exceptions to combat and not the rule. You can fight a room's worth of enemies in P5 in the time Yick takes to get through a single random battle unless you invest in LP Toss and spam it like a smart person. Of course if you were a smart person you wouldn't be playing Yick.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Good writing has foreshadowing, themes, and linkages to draw forward understanding and connections so that you can see the journey as you pass through it.

YIIK is just a bunch of weird stuff that happens.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Aw man, that's a good fuckin bathroom lizard.

Fedule posted:

Y2K stuff

I remember hearing about this, yeah, and what really drives me up the wall is that you just know they thought it was really smart or clever writing when they actually know fuckall about anything. This game is a physical manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Andrew got real drunk and salty and posted this.

He also swung by the discord and posted that it's a name near and dear to gamer's hearts and didn't seem to enjoy when I got the first reply, which was "Goku?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Things I liked in this episode:
  • Police Officer's voice actor's delivery of the line "I am the greatest cop on the force"
  • Alex asks Vella if her new thing is going to be referring to herself as robo-waifu and vice versa, and robo-waifu emotionlessly responds "Yes."
  • Multiple interactions with Barksy
  • Lots of Scabs

The way Essentia 2000 stressed the importance of recruiting your friends, in a good game, would have led to some side quests for everyone in the party or at least some important interactions with them. Instead, Vella is convinced to join the futile fight against the apocalypse off camera. Rory, Chondra, and Clauido just go through an irrelevant conversations before joining. Recruiting Michael at least had some world building and character development, although it was a little fuzzy. Maybe Chondra's comment about figuring out how she knew you were going to ask her to join the fight against the world ending will have some pay off, but I doubt it!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
By the way, I forgot to mention it on the recording, but Katherine is 100% on point about 90s era Wolverine being naked and hairy all the goddamn time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Oh gently caress me.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is... is that Goku?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

creationist believer posted:

Recruiting Michael at least had some world building and character development, although it was a little fuzzy.

:actually:, it was very fuzzy.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
you know all those longposts I made at the start of the thread about cautious optimism vis-a-vis alex getting an arc and pointing out all the good things in this game? being charitable? well. actually that died ages ago but alex being a shithead to his mom and his robo-wife like it's going out of style really killed that

I remember when all I'd seen of this pile was the llama scene, the iwata grave, and the ginger line with Not Elisa Lam. I remember wanting to give this thing a fair shake. I remember hope. god I miss those days

edit:

- if you're a blank slate covered in war paint you're not a goddamn blank slate you piece of poo poo
- I do like Chondra's conversation and Proto-Michael being a thing, even if the latter feels undeserved. it's not a capstone to any arc michael had. michael's character so far could be condensed into "mocks older people". it's just. there. because muh posed modder knee schism.

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 16, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Is... is that Goku?

We did indeed find Goku. He don't look so good.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 16, 2019

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Goku wasn't an abrasive misogynist, tho.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hahaha so all everyone's searching was pointless because they have to rename their save file before anything works, that's hilarious

The fans should be mad but I bet they're just happy Andrew talked to them

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GrandmaParty posted:

We did indeed find Goku. He don't look so good.

:barf:

Oh god, this game is going to try its best to be as revolting as possible in the last chunk.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Equeen posted:

Goku wasn't an abrasive misogynist, tho.

I was making GBS threads up the yiik discord last night hopping around yelling Goku when Andrew was giving "hints" as to what name to use.