Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Genesis had by far the best getting hit by a car simulator https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHa9-1Pxlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Cool article. There are definitely things the Genesis was better at than the SNES, even though it came out 2 years earlier, especially sprite scaling for arcade-style titles. The color palette for the SNES was definitely superior.

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Yeah but by that logic the NES came out six years before the Genesis

North american release for NES was fall of 85, while the north american release for the Genesis was 89. Nintendo was still cranking out NES titles well into the mid 90's but yeah I'm stretching it.

food court bailiff posted:

the master system came out in 86, dweebus

Sorry I meant Genesis/Mega Drive.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Whooping Crabs posted:

Sorry I meant Genesis/Mega Drive.

i know, i just wanted to say dweebus, i hope we can still be friends

was Road Rash multiplatform? I only ever played it on a genesis but RR2 was awesome.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

food court bailiff posted:

i know, i just wanted to say dweebus, i hope we can still be friends

was Road Rash multiplatform? I only ever played it on a genesis but RR2 was awesome.

Originally it was but moved to other systems after the 1995. My neighbor has Road Rash 64 for the Nintendo 64.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There was a Sega CD version as well I think

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I have Seaman but I don't have the Dreamcast mic even though I look for one every time I go to the local game store

I can only imagine what I am missing out on

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There was a Sega CD version as well I think

also PS1 and saturn

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

By the way, this is an excellent short read for anyone who's ever curious about why you could burn Dreamcast games to regular CDs and play them without modding your system:

http://fabiensanglard.net/dreamcast_hacking/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

homeless guy posted:

I have Seaman

Text me

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Mario fans seem downright well-adjusted compared to Sonic fans. Sega definitely did something to them that Nintendidn't.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Snow Cone Capone posted:

By the way, this is an excellent short read for anyone who's ever curious about why you could burn Dreamcast games to regular CDs and play them without modding your system:

http://fabiensanglard.net/dreamcast_hacking/

Yessss that made me save tons of money. I probably burned more than a hundred Dreamcast and Saturn games and they all work perfectly. And those who say that CD-Rs will damage the disc reader can get hosed because so far I saw no evidence of that. 3 years and still kicking.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mooey Cow posted:

Mario fans seem downright well-adjusted compared to Sonic fans. Sega definitely did something to them that Nintendidn't.

I see someone was asleep for all of Bowsette.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Mooey Cow posted:

Gave them fun games about a fast blue hedgehog with attitude rather than a fat Italian plumber?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Angelwolf posted:

Gave them fun games about a fast blue hedgehog with attitude rather than a fat Italian plumber?

I don't think that's enough to cause that level of brain troubles. There could be some sort of subliminal messaging involved or possibly witchcraft.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I remember playing a lot of Pen Pen Tricelon and Blue Stinger on the Dreamcast.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

Mario fans seem downright well-adjusted compared to Sonic fans.

Try reading the Nintendo thread in Games and see if you still feel like this

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Necros posted:

lol that sega had an online streaming game library 25 years ago and nintendo makes you enter a random string of 16 wingdings to add your friends in 2019

2 pages and no one brought up the satallaview

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Was the Master System super undersold or unpopular in the US? I don't know a single person who had a Master System growing up, everyone went from NES to either Genesis or SNES. Same with TurboGrafx 16

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Was the Master System super undersold or unpopular in the US? I don't know a single person who had a Master System growing up, everyone went from NES to either Genesis or SNES. Same with TurboGrafx 16

The Master System was big in Brazil. And nowhere else, pretty much.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I had a friend who had one. Those Alex Kidd games were pretty dismal.

His Dad was the king of failed media formats. They also had a betaplayer and and laserdisk.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is all you need to know about how popular the Master System was (is?) in Brazil

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

iirc Master System was massive in Brazil and PAL regions

Some of my cousins had one and it sucked.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
The only time I saw a Master System in the U.S. was at a thrift sale thing in 1998. I did not buy it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Laslow posted:

The only time I saw a Master System in the U.S. was at a thrift sale thing in 1998. I did not buy it.

sold more than the Saturn and dreamcast it was a shame

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

sold more than the Saturn and dreamcast it was a shame
Really? I’ve had both a Dreamcast and Saturn(actually still have the Saturn). I guess I never really heard of the Master System on account of being so young then. Though I didn’t even know about the Genesis until they had that TV commercial comparing Sonic to Mario 3 in ‘91.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

bradzilla posted:

Try reading the Nintendo thread in Games and see if you still feel like this

*reads thread*

Oh, this is terrible. This is some hosed up poo poo in here.

Still, infinitely less damaged and insane than sonic fans.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

This is all you need to know about how popular the Master System was (is?) in Brazil

holy poo poo lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhuuy3VGXc

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I remember going to a big chain furniture store and they had a 3DO set up in one of the living room displays. It was playing this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvBIZ35dmMw

and even 8-year-old me was like "they loving want $700 for that?"

My dad thought it was the price tag for the fancy entertainment center they had set up the system and TV in, lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I also refuse to exist these ever actually existed in the US:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I also refuse to exist these ever actually existed in the US:

I had a friend who had 9ne and her brother did too.

Terrible battery life

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I had a friend who had 9ne and her brother did too.

Terrible battery life

apparently it literally used a small fluorescent tube bulb for backlight, jesus

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Mooey Cow posted:

I love the poo poo out of mario games, but my family didn't buy me consoles as they came out so I got a genesis for free after my rich friend got the n64. :shrug:

My favorite genesis game is Pulseman and I never see anyone talking about it.

It was directed by Ken Sugimori (the pokemon guy) and one of the very last releases for the system

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
The best genesis game is art alive

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

redm posted:

I love the poo poo out of mario games, but my family didn't buy me consoles as they came out so I got a genesis for free after my rich friend got the n64. :shrug:

My favorite genesis game is Pulseman and I never see anyone talking about it.

It was directed by Ken Sugimori (the pokemon guy) and one of the very last releases for the system

It didn't come out in the US though, so that's probably why. Supposedly it was on Sega Channel with a full English localization but that's probably gone forever now :rip:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

I had a friend in middle school who was Mormon. his parents would only allow him to play 1 hour of Turbo Grafx-16 per day.

Yeah but then he turbo-married 16 wives so who came out on top there?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lunar for the Sega CD was my favorite RPG when I was 8 years old.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ok, new game idea: The Sims, Mormon edition. 1 guy and you just keep marrying girls until your heart explodes at the age of 75 while you're banging your latest 17 year old bride.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mr. Bones posted:

The GBA Sequel, Gunstar Super Heroes, is really fun too. I'd say it's at least as good as the first one and there's some really neat classic Sega callbacks, like there's a cool helicopter level that plays exactly like Thunder Blade.

Can confirm this game was sick as hell. the GBA was fuckin cool.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Mr. Bones posted:

It didn't come out in the US though, so that's probably why. Supposedly it was on Sega Channel with a full English localization but that's probably gone forever now :rip:

yea, I remember that about it. I've played it myself ( not legally of course :derp: ) and I think its a drat shame that it never made it to shelves in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Did anyone else just randomly get a Virtual Boy for Christmas one year as a kid after they were heavily discounted? People talk a lot of poo poo about it but I thought it was really cool. The 3D effect was neat-o and Galactic Pinball and Wario Land were p deece. Never had headaches or any of that other poo poo people complain about.