Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

No big deal, unless he fully liquidated the 401(k), he can just withdraw more to pay the tax bill :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Known Lecher posted:

No big deal, unless he fully liquidated the 401(k), he can just withdraw more to pay the tax bill :downs:

It's like a compelling coupon -- the more you spend, the more you save!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dave Ramsey having a normal one

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/broke-millennials-flocking-financial-guru-100048472.html

"In one particularly excruciating rant—which lives on Ramsey’s website under the heading “student loan meltdown”—he tears into a caller who spent $130,000 on a psychology degree and is now a stay-at-home mom because she can’t find a job.

Ramsey mutes her (or hangs up, it’s hard to tell) and then he starts screaming.

$130,000 TO GET AN UNDER-GRADUATE DEGREE IN PSYCHOLOGY? THAT’S CRAZY!!! WHY? SO THAT WHEN YOU HAVE BABIES, YOU GET TO GO HOME AND BE A MOMMY? …YOU KNOW WHAT A PSYCHOLOGY DEGREE WITHOUT A MASTER’S IS WORTH? NOTHINGGGGG!!! NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGG!ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! YOU CAN’T GET A JOB IN A FACTORY WITH THAT DEGREE!!!

He bills these blowups as a sort of righteous indignation, or “tough-love parenting,”

This guy sucks rear end!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dave Ramsey having a normal one

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/broke-millennials-flocking-financial-guru-100048472.html

"In one particularly excruciating rant—which lives on Ramsey’s website under the heading “student loan meltdown”—he tears into a caller who spent $130,000 on a psychology degree and is now a stay-at-home mom because she can’t find a job.

Ramsey mutes her (or hangs up, it’s hard to tell) and then he starts screaming.

$130,000 TO GET AN UNDER-GRADUATE DEGREE IN PSYCHOLOGY? THAT’S CRAZY!!! WHY? SO THAT WHEN YOU HAVE BABIES, YOU GET TO GO HOME AND BE A MOMMY? …YOU KNOW WHAT A PSYCHOLOGY DEGREE WITHOUT A MASTER’S IS WORTH? NOTHINGGGGG!!! NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGG!ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! YOU CAN’T GET A JOB IN A FACTORY WITH THAT DEGREE!!!

He bills these blowups as a sort of righteous indignation, or “tough-love parenting,”

This guy sucks rear end!

He's not wrong though. Attitude aside (which gets him the eyeballs he craves) borrowing 130k in debt that is almost impossible to discharge for a B.S. degree that is worthless without spending at least that amount again on a Masters is dumb as hell. There's nothing that can be done for the lady in question, but maybe it'll dissuade others.

He's an rear end in a top hat, no doubt, but hard to argue against the point here.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Would you tell an 18 year old to skip college because they're definitely going to become a stay at home breeder?

She probably didn't know then what she knows now. Also a bachelor's degree opens a LOT of doors even outside your field of study, in my opinion

Edit - and lol at his factory comment. What decade is his brain trapped in?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
but for this lady it did not, evidently

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Would you tell an 18 year old to skip college because they're definitely going to become a stay at home breeder?

She probably didn't know then what she knows now. Also a bachelor's degree opens a LOT of doors even outside your field of study, in my opinion

The way it's worded is she became a stay at home mom because she can't get a job. She's not using the degree because she became a breeder, she became a breeder because she couldn't get a job, which is like the ultimate bwm.

E: it's also all but guaranteed she only applied to psychology positions which she doesn't qualify for. With any 2 year+ degree you can get a call center job or some other entry level job that pays way better than retail and you can work up from.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 16, 2019

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

rear end in a top hat that he is I don't think that is what he's saying. And you are right, it should be opening doors, the problem isn't that she can't find a job, it's she can't find one she likes/is worthy of her study. To which I say, welcome to adulthood.

That the current state of the finance industry allows such life-altering commitments to be made by 18 year old children is a loving disgrace, no doubt, but sitting back and being a victim isn't going to help.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Edit - in response to ivy, not the most recent post

That's silliness. People with a bachelor's (and excluding masters or PhD) have significantly higher median earnings and lower unemployment rates and are far less likely to be Underemployed for more than 2 years. College is great and good for just about everyone, even if they're cursed by a uterus

Obviously her life is set in stone because she's a parent now (that's life in the USA, baby!) but back when she had options and a future she could've just... Applied for jobs that didn't require a masters in psychology.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

A bachelors is not a bad idea, but $130k in debt for a bachelors in a field that usually requires a masters is pretty BWM.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just don't work in the associated field then! Heaps and piles of industries require Any Bachelors and pay six figgies.

She's a moron if she was sitting on her butt applying for psych research doctorate positions instead of getting in to like... IO HR or something

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just don't work in the associated field then! Heaps and piles of industries require Any Bachelors and pay six figgies.

She's a moron if she was sitting on her butt applying for psych research doctorate positions instead of getting in to like... IO HR or something

i agree that she is a moron

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Most of these kids have no idea what's going on when they "choose" a school/major/program/whatever and oftentimes their parents and/or guidance counselors know even less. Private universities are predatory. Only the most insufferable boomers try to blame the then-17/18 year-old kids for their "choices."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i agree that she is a moron

What did she do that is moronic

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol I was with you right until here.

If you didn’t go to an ivy (and even then . . . ) a BA in some random subject is not an automatic ticket to six figures. This is like “peak bullshit your HS guidance counselor told you in 1994” material.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If I made it sound like an Automatic Ticket, I misspoke. It could easily take years of underemployment, additional training and/or apprenticeships that may not be feasible for all households.

-Actuary
-Software developer
-Real estate appraiser or broker
-Human resources manager or director
-Air traffic controller
-Plumber
-Commercial pilot
-Fire chief
-Court reporter

All those jobs top out over $100k and benefit from (if not outright requiring) a 4 year degree in anything.

They're not all going to be an option, but if a college graduate has a goal of "make six figures" they will be able to within 5 years if they're flexible on location and field and can take a few years on reduced or even no pay.

Which is not an option for all.

Also to make sure I don't channel that Baquerd guy too hard, let add that being a white male with wealthy parents will make this easier and it may not even be possible if you do not meet most or all these criteria

Also be unmarried and childfree obvi

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 16, 2019

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Just sales in general, like, can you talk to someone and sell poo poo? Any poo poo, it doesn’t matter what, but if you can sell poo poo you can sell bigger poo poo. We have a successful industrial broker in our office who was hired from the jewelry store where he was working after college.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

Just sales in general, like, can you talk to someone and sell poo poo? Any poo poo, it doesn’t matter what, but if you can sell poo poo you can sell bigger poo poo. We have a successful industrial broker in our office who was hired from the jewelry store where he was working after college.

My brother in law makes gently caress-you money in sales. Like, his last company thing for the people who earned more than X amount was in loving Monaco and the two before that were in Hawaii (people got bored of Hawaii).

He dropped out of a southern university branch school in sophomore year because he didn’t like it and started shilling ATT poo poo at a mall kiosk. That led to one thing led to another thing etc now he’s a VP of gently caress You Money.

Subsequently he paid for his stay at home wife (previously also a drop out from same school) to attend a crazy expensive LHC with low admissions standards because he thought someone in the family should have a degree and be a good example to his daughter.

Sales is one place where people with zero other credentials can make crazy loving money but at the same time if you suck at it all the degrees in the world won’t keep you from being a pauper.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Sales is sink or swim though, you either have the chops or you don't. Successful sales people, as mentioned, end up selling more expensive items to maximize their commissions, where as the unsuccessful ones end up at used car dealerships or working salary cold calling to sell stacks of paper. People who under perform get let go very quickly.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bachelors degrees outside of engineering and finance are increasingly a poor investment and until the US starts putting more emphasis on secondary education (lol) it should be treated as such. It's getting to the point now that joining the military is objectively less painful than going straight to college without a lot of support from your family. Also every 4 year student should be doing 2 years at community college with 0 exceptions. 2 years of ~ the college experience~ ain't worth an additional 70k.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 16, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Volkerball posted:

LAlso every 4 year student should be doing 2 years at community college with 0 exceptions. 2 years of ~ the college experience~ ain't worth an additional 70k.

As someone who had that 4 year college experience and taught at community colleges I am loving militant about this.

Get an associates before doing anything else.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Volkerball posted:

Bachelors degrees outside of engineering and finance are increasingly a poor investment

When everyone is a college graduate... no one will be

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Math and CS seem to pay off pretty well still.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I (like most goons) would be loving terrible at sales and have a visceral reaction to salesmen. I went the long route to avoid it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BMan posted:

When everyone is a college graduate... no one will be

I hope this is ironic posting because it's demonstrably untrue!

You won't have a competitive advantage over non-degree-holders, sure, but the individual and the society both benefit when more people have a higher education.

A more valid concern would be the devaluing of a degree by making it easy enough for Certified Dumbs to obtain. People can write their senior thesis over the weekend now.

EDIT: also nearly every job on the planet will be automated within 15 years so the REAL forward-thinking 18 years olds are just gonna learn to suck dick the best

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 16, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Post-secondary sounds exhausting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What did she do that is moronic

if she can't find a job outside her field she is stupid

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if she can't find a job outside her field she is stupid

Agreed my good dude :cheers:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Only about 25% of the population has a college degree. Now granted all those Boomers who walked into a Fortune 500 country at 18 and got a job they worked for the next 40 loving years may be skewing those numbers, but we will never have 50+% college graduates in the workforce. A degree will always make you a better candidate. The unemployment rate for college graduates is about 2% and it increases at a much slower rate than the overall unemployment rate during a recession.

Volkerball posted:

Bachelors degrees outside of engineering and finance are increasingly a poor investment and until the US starts putting more emphasis on secondary education (lol) it should be treated as such. It's getting to the point now that joining the military is objectively less painful than going straight to college without a lot of support from your family. Also every 4 year student should be doing 2 years at community college with 0 exceptions. 2 years of ~ the college experience~ ain't worth an additional 70k.

Not empty quoting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Are academic scholarships on the decline? In the early 2000s it was fairly common for even slightly-above-average students to be shaving $10-$15k off their annual tuition for getting all A's/B's in high school. But it sounds like those have dried the gently caress UP in the past decade.

Jesus Christ, you can get $500 if you work in some Keurig product-placement into your college essay

https://www.coffeeforless.com/pages/scholarship

"In order to be considered for the scholarship, candidates should submit an essay of no more than 500 words on the subjects of the importance of education in their lives and how the scholarship money will assist the students' goals. Bonus points will be awarded to those students who find a creative way to include their passion for coffee within their essay without losing sight of the primary topic."

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 16, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are academic scholarships on the decline? In the early 2000s it was fairly common for even slightly-above-average students to be shaving $10-$15k off their annual tuition for getting all A's/B's in high school. But it sounds like those have dried the gently caress UP in the past decade.

I think people just got a lot better at finding them. One of the schools my daughter looked at submits new admissions automatically for scholarships, which is something I've never heard of.

So maybe not fewer scholarships, but greater competition for them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It gets better when you read his ideas about how you should pay for college:

quote:

In a list of tips on paying for college on Ramsey’s website, he highlights the story of a debt-free college grad named Jacquelyn who “worked three jobs and lived on just a few hours of sleep.”

But a 2018 study from Georgetown University found that students who work more than 15 hours a week tend to suffer academically, especially if they’re lower-income and work not for “experience” but “to stay afloat financially.” Higher education is so expensive these days, the researchers conclude, “you can’t work your way through college anymore.”

If you hold off on school until you can afford it or take classes piecemeal to avoid loans—“go slow and pay cash,” as Ramsey would say—you might actually graduate debt-free. But you’ll enter the workforce later than your peers, with a salary gap that could follow you for the rest of your career, says Robert Kelchen, assistant professor of higher education at Seton Hall University.

I want to live in the world these Budgeting Gurus live in, where everyone lives in a small town with reasonably priced houses, is able to bike to everything they need, can pay for college with a part time job, and never has to take on debt for anything or get financial assistance from their parents. It sounds like a nice place.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I hope this is ironic posting because it's demonstrably untrue!

You won't have a competitive advantage over non-degree-holders, sure, but the individual and the society both benefit when more people have a higher education.

A more valid concern would be the devaluing of a degree by making it easy enough for Certified Dumbs to obtain. People can write their senior thesis over the weekend now.

EDIT: also nearly every job on the planet will be automated within 15 years so the REAL forward-thinking 18 years olds are just gonna learn to suck dick the best

Just :lol: if you don't think dick sucking won't be one of the first things automated

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Just :lol: if you don't think dick sucking won't be one of the first things automated

Already done. From last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldy4LOgvUCw

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

As someone who had that 4 year college experience and taught at community colleges I am loving militant about this.

Get an associates before doing anything else.

Not all colleges will let you get credit from community college classes and apply it towards graduation.

My BWM: I took summer classes at a community college to try to graduate a year early and none of the credits (for outside my major; my advisor made it clear that the major would never accept credits that weren't more rigorous than the community college ones to count towards majoring) were accepted by my ivy. Whereas people doing poo poo like semester at sea which was probably worse did get theirs transferred.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I’m pretty sure being a National Merit Scholar chopped my public flagship in-state tuition in half or something.

Give me a sixer, I self-posted.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Zauper posted:

Not all colleges will let you get credit from community college classes and apply it towards graduation.

My BWM: I took summer classes at a community college to try to graduate a year early and none of the credits (for outside my major; my advisor made it clear that the major would never accept credits that weren't more rigorous than the community college ones to count towards majoring) were accepted by my ivy. Whereas people doing poo poo like semester at sea which was probably worse did get theirs transferred.
Yeah, the credit transfer system is loving TERRIBLE. It's the most obtuse thing about the whole American college system, which is a system full of loving obtuse-as-poo poo systems.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

the individual and the society both benefit when more people have a higher education.

As someone who worked for a decade in higher education: no, not really. Not as higher education is done today.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zauper posted:

none of the credits . . . were accepted by my ivy.

Ivies and small LACs are garbage for this and assume that anything that isn't done in-house is poo poo. It's an attitude based partially on assumptions about how superior their classes are and partially in ideas about how they are bringing you in for four years not only to educate you but to "shape you as a person" and exposing you to four years of their institutional culture is part of that.

Whether 4 years of being at an Ivy makes you a better person I'll leave up to you to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Credit transfers remind me a lot of the rules of soccer (football for the rest of the world, I get it): Is the game over? How much time is left? It's a secret.