Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
nuance??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
nuance? yeah, i've got plenty of new aunts, thanks to my Boomer uncles constantly remarrying

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I’ve been married for 10 years and it confuses the gently caress out of older people because we don’t have any kids by now to use as an excuse as to why we’re still together. It’s like marrying someone you’ll actually like 10 years later just not compute for some people.

But maybe they’re just lovely people that are actually impossible to like for more than a few years, which might not be a generational thing.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

It's this. I'm pretty sure that Millennials aren't afraid of interacting with other people, that's just what Boomers say to make themselves feel better about how they're a decrepit piece of poo poo

I do think that millennials genuinely dislike calling people on the phone for the most part. I say this as a millennial surrounded by millennials lol

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bonaventure posted:

nuance? yeah, i've got plenty of new aunts, thanks to my Boomer uncles constantly remarrying

What amazes me is these guys managing to find not one, but multiple women willing to put up with their poo poo. They often don't cook, clean, have a very good work ethic, and a bunch of other faults yet 5 minutes after getting divorced they'll find another woman willing to say "I do." :shepface:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My office is full of millennials and no one communicates verbally like doesnt mater if person is on other side of the desk we just all google chat eachother lol

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Panfilo posted:

What amazes me is these guys managing to find not one, but multiple women willing to put up with their poo poo. They often don't cook, clean, have a very good work ethic, and a bunch of other faults yet 5 minutes after getting divorced they'll find another woman willing to say "I do." :shepface:
Money.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Laslow posted:

I’ve been married for 10 years and it confuses the gently caress out of older people because we don’t have any kids by now to use as an excuse as to why we’re still together. It’s like marrying someone you’ll actually like 10 years later just not compute for some people.

But maybe they’re just lovely people that are actually impossible to like for more than a few years, which might not be a generational thing.

I think this comes form of how things just were. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that GenX sort of started the idea of having no kids.

When I asked me grandmother how she met my grandfather, I got a generic story of how they were friends and then all the neighborhood then everyone seemed to "pair off" (for lack of a better term) so they started dating, had kids, etc. After WW2 everyone was told to have kids so I guess that idea got passed to boomers.

But as a childless (none of my own anyway) person, people of all ages LOVE to tell you about why you should have kids or "You'll change your mind!". The wife and I now tell any strangers that ask that we have fertility issues and that usually shuts them up and they stop trying to tell us how to live.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Having fewer children is more so the result of economic change . A few generations ago a person could support their entire family on one income. Unfortunately that kept obscene wealth out of the hands of the job creators, so the boomers rectified that by voting against their self interest for decades and finally realizing that unions are actually bad.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Zelder posted:

I do think that millennials genuinely dislike calling people on the phone for the most part. I say this as a millennial surrounded by millennials lol

drat straight

"whoops, I'm getting a call, I guess if I want to find out what it's about I probably need to pick it up at exactly this second whether that's convenient or not, and I don't have my headphones handy so I guess I'm just going to hold this hot slab of glass to the side of my face for however long this takes. Yes hello. Hello? Hello! Hi. Yes this is he. No, I couldn't hear you before, but I can now. It always seems like the first second-and-a-half after you connect is just silence, for some reason. What was that you said? What? One more time? Oh, yeah, I agree, plain voice traffic has literally never sounded any loving worse, I swear these carriers must be converting from analogue to digital and back a dozen times while they pass these signals around. Oh, sorry, did I say something to offend you? No, it just sounded like it in your voice; I can't see your body language. Oh no, I hear it now, you're just getting distracted by some other loving person over there that I can't see or hear. Uh huh. Yeah, hello again. Yeah, I know, it's fine. But why do you sound so distant now? Did you put me on speakerphone? No, it's okay I guess, you definitely shouldn't go gently caress yourself, but hey listen, I'm about to go through a tunnel here, so uh why not just shoot it to me in a text? thanks."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Boomers like to walk as slowly as possible in the very middle of the aisle/sidewalk/staircase as if they’re the only loving people on earth.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Beastie posted:

Boomers like to walk as slowly as possible in the very middle of the aisle/sidewalk/staircase as if they’re the only loving people on earth.

Every once in a while at a grocery store one of them will park their shopping cart perpendicular to the aisle to peruse the merch, thus blocking all traffic. This might be more of a "stupid people" thing but every time I see it it's a 55-or-older person.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I can confirm boomers don't like different food. My mom's somewhat-friend will only eat fried chicken fingers, everywhere they go. Even if it's a nice restaurant, she will order chicken fingers even if it's not on the menu. On the rare chance she doesn't eat chicken fingers, she eats well done hamburgers and make a very firm point to tell the waiter that she doesn't want lettuce, onions, pickels, or you know, anything that should go on a burger. Also she loves lovely cookies like chips ahoy. She has the pallet of a two year old.

She is loud, short and fat, talks poo poo about everyone and has only read Harry Potter. She is like boomer prime, and I loving hate her.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 16, 2019

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Boomers love people who jump in to defend their honor in joke threads on comedywebsites

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SeXReX posted:

Boomers love people who jump in to defend their honor in joke threads on comedywebsites

Yeah, I bet the AARP will send them a 65yo diabetic stripper to thank them for their service tonight

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Stopped at a grocery store on the way home from work and saw a boomer woman arguing with the stocking guy behind the refrigerated dairy. "What do you mean you don't have Silk in gallon containers?! I don't like the half-gallon containers! I like the gallon containers!" She was holding the refrigerator door open and absolutely SCREAMING at the guy between shelves of milk substitute. Absolute unreal entitlement on display.

Does this woman think this guy is hiding the gallon jugs just to spite her? Wouldn't it be better to talk to a manager about this rather than the millennial stocking the shelves for minimum wage? Her husband is just gonna take one sip and mutter "tastes funny" before leaving the rest to rot, so who gives a drat?

The best part was there was an even older woman not too far from scream lady who was staring at her with absolute disgust. So #NotAllBoomers, but YMMV of course.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Not giving a poo poo about the cost or logistics for the children that will probably need to take care of them in a within decade or so.

Handwaving away any discussion of their finances and laughing about how uptight their millennial children are about money.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, I bet the AARP will send them a 65yo diabetic stripper to thank them for their service tonight

AARP is getting desperate. I turn 40 this year, and have officially started getting the "Join AARP" spam.

I think they fail to realize that no one my age or younger is going to retire.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

Not giving a poo poo about the cost or logistics for the children that will probably need to take care of them in a within decade or so.

Handwaving away any discussion of their finances and laughing about how uptight their millennial children are about money.

I didn't know we were the same person

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

RFC2324 posted:

AARP is getting desperate. I turn 40 this year, and have officially started getting the "Join AARP" spam.

I think they fail to realize that no one my age or younger is going to retire.

There was some mistake with my dad and now Im getting "time is running out to pre-enroll in AARP" stuff and I'm not even 30 yet lmao

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Paying me loving crap and demanding I be grateful and work like my life depends on it.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Bonzo posted:

"You'll change your mind!".

Heard that admonition so many times. Married 9 years. Haven't changed our minds yet.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

loving up on social media

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Boomers like dating Filipino women.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Negrostrike posted:

loving up on social media

Wasn't there a comedian that had "I just heard the unfortunate news. LOL." and finding out their mom thought it meant "lots of love" as part of their routine? I forget who it was.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FlimFlam Imam posted:

They love to party. Whenever I go to visit my mom that lives in a 55+ community there's always some party going on everyday. "We're going to Bob and Sandy's for lunch, they're having a lunch party!". It's noon and Bob hands me a water glass full of scotch. I live in a college town and these people could drink any frat bro under the table. It's the only place in which I've seen where the liquor store is larger than the attached grocery store.

I like visiting my mother.

Your parents and all their friends are swingers and when you're not around it's probably one non-stop old people gently caress party.

Zelder posted:

This irritates the poo poo out of me because I know a whole bunch of people that talking on the phone is a huge problem for them for some reason. I find it way faster to just tell someone a thing than typing out a series of loving texts. I don't get why speaking into a phone is such a huge ordeal for some people.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

CPL593H posted:

This irritates the poo poo out of me because I know a whole bunch of people that talking on the phone is a huge problem for them for some reason. I find it way faster to just tell someone a thing than typing out a series of loving texts. I don't get why speaking into a phone is such a huge ordeal for some people.

All us millennials have autism, sorry.

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

mojo1701a posted:

I'm in the middle of tax season, and as an accountant I coincidentally read an article written by a local boomer about how it's getting harder to file my self-employed taxes via pen and paper.
Yeah, I'm working part time at H&R for the season and we get a couple of people a day asking for the paper tax packages, since they can't find them anywhere. One guess for the demographic. A few of them love paper so much that they insist we paper file for them, since they can't trust computers. Fine, we charge a you extra :10bux: and now you get to wait for a month before you get your refund, by all means go wild.

Also making some snide comment about Trudeau as a joke to break the ice. I'm getting real tired of those.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Clark Nova posted:

met the wife, have you?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GOD IS BED posted:

Paying me loving crap and demanding I be grateful and work like my life depends on it.

Also not paying people anything and expecting them to be grateful.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Animated Nerd posted:

Yeah, I'm working part time at H&R for the season and we get a couple of people a day asking for the paper tax packages, since they can't find them anywhere. One guess for the demographic. A few of them love paper so much that they insist we paper file for them, since they can't trust computers. Fine, we charge a you extra :10bux: and now you get to wait for a month before you get your refund, by all means go wild.

Also making some snide comment about Trudeau as a joke to break the ice. I'm getting real tired of those.

Oh, man that reminds me:

Trudeau jokes. I'm not a fan of the man by any means, but holy gently caress does everyone over a certain age like making really bad and over-used jokes about him. Specifically him. I never remember derision about a previous prime minister or political leader in Canada like I did now. I usually think that "___ derangement syndrome" is bullshit, but in Trudeau's case, it's real. I've had older extended family members start barking at his mere image on TV more than once.

Also: facebook groups that share these jokes and similar political stripes. I know it's obvious to blame Facebook, but these groups really serve to isolate boomers among each other where they reinforce all their stereotypes with bad memes.

This one's not as universal since it's mostly white boomers, but: thinking you will agree with them right off the bat. I can't tell you the amount of times boomers will assume that, since I'm white like they are, that I'm a safe space (ironically) for them to say whatever they want and not be criticized. Like, a racist or sexist joke out of nowhere, and they become offended if you don't laugh. I've never really experienced that with anyone under the age of 50.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

mojo1701a posted:

Oh, man that reminds me:

Trudeau jokes. I'm not a fan of the man by any means, but holy gently caress does everyone over a certain age like making really bad and over-used jokes about him. Specifically him. I never remember derision about a previous prime minister or political leader in Canada like I did now. I usually think that "___ derangement syndrome" is bullshit, but in Trudeau's case, it's real. I've had older extended family members start barking at his mere image on TV more than once.

Also: facebook groups that share these jokes and similar political stripes. I know it's obvious to blame Facebook, but these groups really serve to isolate boomers among each other where they reinforce all their stereotypes with bad memes.

This one's not as universal since it's mostly white boomers, but: thinking you will agree with them right off the bat. I can't tell you the amount of times boomers will assume that, since I'm white like they are, that I'm a safe space (ironically) for them to say whatever they want and not be criticized. Like, a racist or sexist joke out of nowhere, and they become offended if you don't laugh. I've never really experienced that with anyone under the age of 50.

My wife's family is 100% Canadian but some of her boomer relatives (one is ex OPP) are in love with Trump. They assume I'm for Trump because I used to live in Kentucky. They just can't grasp why I don't like him and support his policies. Once I remind them that I was brought up by rural God fearing, Kentucky people who taught me to never discriminate against someone because of color or creed, their eyes cross and the subject gets changed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SeXReX posted:

There was some mistake with my dad and now Im getting "time is running out to pre-enroll in AARP" stuff and I'm not even 30 yet lmao

When my mom turned 50, she was pretty stoked that she would get an AARP enrollment. They sent it to me instead, I was 23.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Asking "Who's calling me?" when their cell phone custom ring tone goes off, then staring at the screen for an incredibly long time before answering.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

mojo1701a posted:

Believe me, it's hilarious when this poo poo happens as a half-Mexican.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Wall to wall carpeting which had to be replaced every couple of years because they refuse to take their shoes off inside their own home

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Clavavisage posted:

Wall to wall carpeting which had to be replaced every couple of years because they refuse to take their shoes off inside their own home

This but wallpaper on walls

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Signing their names at the end of (very long) text messages

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
speaker phone. They love speaker phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nuts and Gum posted:

speaker phone. They love speaker phone.

Not only do they love the speaker phone, they love wandering away from it while talking as if you'll be able to hear them 3 rooms away.