Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This always pisses me off too. Like just because I enjoyed your tweet, regardless of what it is, doesn't mean I want to buy something from your drat etsy account or watch your friend's amateur music video. gently caress off.

Also the patreon thing for tweets. It's such a transparent money grab. People are free to use their money however they see fit, but I'll never not think it's incredibly stupid that people are donating hundreds to thousands (collectively) a month to someone simply because they're funny. Tweeting isn't a career. The fact that someone like dril has made it one is an anomaly, but instead of realizing that (much like 99% of aspiring youtubers), they put off getting a real job because they just know the next tweet is going to be the one that ~goes viral~ and launches their "career".

I like seeing etsy accounts since I never know what weird little handmade thing is gonna ring my bells, but you and your Soundcloud can gently caress right off, Brayden.

Also anyone looking to get paid to tweet is a loving grifter and cannot be trusted, and should be hogwhipped back to loving Xanga or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's the old pipe dream of going to Hollywood and becoming famous, except now you don't even have to leave your house to do it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only see people joking about linking to a soundcloud when their tweet goes viral rather than actually linking to a soundcloud account.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This always pisses me off too. Like just because I enjoyed your tweet, regardless of what it is, doesn't mean I want to buy something from your drat etsy account or watch your friend's amateur music video. gently caress off.

Also the patreon thing for tweets. It's such a transparent money grab. People are free to use their money however they see fit, but I'll never not think it's incredibly stupid that people are donating hundreds to thousands (collectively) a month to someone simply because they're funny. Tweeting isn't a career. The fact that someone like dril has made it one is an anomaly, but instead of realizing that (much like 99% of aspiring youtubers), they put off getting a real job because they just know the next tweet is going to be the one that ~goes viral~ and launches their "career".

Nice post, do you have a patreon?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nice post, do you have a patreon?

you know, I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least one or two people out there that would legitimately pay me to not post. I could have tiers ranging from like 10% less posting all the way up to never posting again.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I get rankled by those people/shows/programs that have patreon and try the “It’s only $5 a month, that’s less than Netflix!”

Sure pal and after I support you 5-8 other shows, Netflix, Amazon and gently caress knows what else it’s “only” $50+ a month and for what? lovely bonus episodes? If I like it I’ll pay for it, but don’t tell me it’s “only” any amount of money. rear end in a top hat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If you make any kind of internet content then there is literally no reason not to have some kind of donation option. The worst that happens is no one gives you any money, in which case you've lost nothing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

If you make any kind of internet content then there is literally no reason not to have some kind of donation option. The worst that happens is no one gives you any money, in which case you've lost nothing.

but it's a scam. You shouldn't get money for something you'd do anyway. People don't tweet to make money, they do it because they feel like ejaculating their thoughts on to the internet. That shouldn't be monetized. It's worthless content.

People do get paid for being funny, but only because they produce things that make their company money, whether it's a show or a standup act.

imho you should only earn a profit if you are providing a net benefit to society, and lets players and other video game streamers don't. They are a parasite. Making money is supposed to be hard and unpleasant, not fun.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Apr 17, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yikes

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Making money is supposed to be hard and unpleasant, not fun.
My peeve of the day is this sort of attitude.

Suffer because it's what you're supposed to do. How dare you want to not suffer. Everyone must suffer as I have. If people don't suffer in the ways I have, then all the mental gymanstics I use to get through the day will come crumbling down.

It's ridiculously petty and spiteful, and counterproductive to making life suck less for everyone as a whole. Having to do hard and unpleasant things to survive is not a virtue.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

but it's a scam. You shouldn't get money for something you'd do anyway. People don't tweet to make money, they do it because they feel like ejaculating their thoughts on to the internet. That shouldn't be monetized. It's worthless content.

People do get paid for being funny, but only because they produce things that make their company money, whether it's a show or a standup act.

imho you should only earn a profit if you are providing a net benefit to society, and lets players and other video game streamers don't. They are a parasite. Making money is supposed to be hard and unpleasant, not fun.

Have you considered setting up a Patreon to pay you for every post you don't make?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am watching Incredible Hulk rn and it owns.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

:chloe:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This is one I've encountered as I shop on weekends now, but people who at grocery stores stop in the exit doors to look at their receipts or bags. Either do it before you're in the doorway or after you leave it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

another victim of capitalism

but seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with you? do you really think all jobs are supposed to be suffering and drudgery?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe sincerely so.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

People who find it off-putting when you are devoted to your job and are willing to put in extra unpaid time to get things done. I'm trying to make a good first impression here, but people keep saying that finishing jobs they give you 2-3 weeks to do in a few days is bad. If the job is done correctly then why is it a bad thing?

I know it can be annoying as a code leader to delegate tasks and have someone keep asking for something else to do, but I feel like if i'm finishing jobs too quickly, give me something harder. I'm not going to drag my feet. I need an overwhelming sense of urgency to be productive, my mind doesn't have a "relaxed pace" function.

Your co-workers are going to start putting bricks through your windows and then molotovs.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Your co-workers are going to start putting bricks through your windows and then molotovs.

At this point it would be a mercy killing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That is not what a scam is. No one is being deceived or tricked in any way.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I know I'm old, but I didn't understand most of the last 2 pages. :corsair:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

I believe sincerely so.

He has admitted as much, at least he knows he's brainbroked

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He has admitted as much, at least he knows he's brainbroked

if he really knew, he'd be too ashamed to post the things he does

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

yeah you are rear end

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wow. You should probably :therapy:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

I'm usually good with what you post, and like seeing your posts, but what the hell is this? What sort of depressive state are you locked in that you honestly think this is a reasonable opinion?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably attention and trolling?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

is that the same reason why you said you liked to bash into people who use phones

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No that's real. People should look where they are going or they'll be run over with a car. I'm helping them. I"m fine with people making a living making twitter jokes too.

edit: It's called patriarchy chicken

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2019/02/how-play-patriarchy-chicken-why-i-refuse-move-out-way-men

Though I'm a guy I love it

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Apr 17, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

if you're a guy it's not patriarchy chicken, you're actually reinforcing patriarchy by using your body and dumb macho attitude to hurt people

i'm probably getting trolled i guess

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

my pet peeve is when someone reviews something after making extensive changes to it. like recipes, or electronics that can be tinkered with. goodness sake, just try it as-is first.

you don't like the way the amp sounds? ok, but sit with it and break in the speakers first before you make sweeping judgments about it and replace parts

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

my pet peeve is when someone reviews something after making extensive changes to it. like recipes, or electronics that can be tinkered with. goodness sake, just try it as-is first.

you don't like the way the amp sounds? ok, but sit with it and break in the speakers first before you make sweeping judgments about it and replace parts

Online recipes with rating systems are pretty mich useless for this exact reason.

My pet peeve today are middle aged people who pivoted into my field and immediately want the respect and authority of someone who's been there the whole time. Like, it's cool that you went back to school or whatever and now you're in an industry I genuinely love, but 20 years as a plumber and 6 months as a geospatial analyst do not trump my 10 years experience as a geospatial analyst, even if I'm 15 years your junior. I've got a coworker who seriously chimes in every 5 minutes in every meeting to impart some wisdom that's either extremely self-evident or completely wrong AND gives me performative "tips" from their intro GIS class whenever they know the director is within earshot.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
My peeve is my bodys inability to be comfortable in any kind of temperature in the office. Either my arms and hands are icicles or I'm a sweaty mess. And checking the thermometer there is maybe 1°C difference at most.
And it's really only the office, I never have this issue at home (though there I can just walk around in my underwear if I am feeling warm).

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Helios Grime posted:

My peeve is my bodys inability to be comfortable in any kind of temperature in the office. Either my arms and hands are icicles or I'm a sweaty mess. And checking the thermometer there is maybe 1°C difference at most.
And it's really only the office, I never have this issue at home (though there I can just walk around in my underwear if I am feeling warm).

It's how air works in offices. You're not alone in this. If your desk is right under a vent, you'll feel either hot or cold when it kicks on. The actual temperature doesn't vary more than a degree. We had ours set to a 0.7 degree cycle to keep it as even as possible.

I used to have an assistant who would constantly say how cold it is, then say it's perfect, then say it's too hot. I bought him a thermometer to set by his desk so that any time he would feel uncomfortable, he could look at the thermometer and and know that the temp is the same 74f that it always is. Summer or winter. Just having that settled him out so it didn't bother him any more.

We had to put locks on all thermostats in the office. People were cranking some of the thermostats up to 90f and some down to 60f. The system got so unbalanced that nothing worked. In the summer, they'd cause icing by turning some thermostats down to 50f and then turning others up to 80f. After we locked all the thermostats, people became more comfortable. Load balancing is important.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
74? Fuuuuuck that. I guess that'd be fine in the Summer when it'll actually feel cool to walk indoors but the rest of the year I'd feel like I was walking into a sauna and I doubt they'd just let me chill in just a robe at work. Why is it so difficult for folks who run cold to bundle up a little bit? Those of us that are constantly warm have no options when you crank the heat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

I doubt they'd just let me chill in just a robe at work.

You never know until you try

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

gently caress people that barely run the air conditioner when it's warm because it "saves energy" but then blast the heat at 74 as soon as it cools down a little. Just admit that you prefer hot temperatures!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just saw a trailer for Hobbs & Shaw (Fast and Furious movie) and I wish people would stop with the Haka dance thing. I guess if I were some opposing tribe and had to face a bunch of swole dudes all dance fighting me I might be intimidated by their coordinated moves, but this is not that, it's maybe the cheesiest thing I've ever seen become a trend in sports and movies. Especially sports though because there's always a few white dudes looking supremely uncomfortable being forced to do this thing that they've been told is badass. I have no problem with white dudes being made to feel uncomfortable mind you, I just think it undermines the whole point of the thing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

Just saw a trailer for Hobbs & Shaw (Fast and Furious movie) and I wish people would stop with the Haka dance thing. I guess if I were some opposing tribe and had to face a bunch of swole dudes all dance fighting me I might be intimidated by their coordinated moves, but this is not that, it's maybe the cheesiest thing I've ever seen become a trend in sports and movies. Especially sports though because there's always a few white dudes looking supremely uncomfortable being forced to do this thing that they've been told is badass. I have no problem with white dudes being made to feel uncomfortable mind you, I just think it undermines the whole point of the thing.

I will take any excuse to post this because the confused USA players make me laugh every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDucvQYlWj4

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The bathroom at my office is a nightmare because there's always a fat middle aged dude in the only stall unleashing a unmitigated torrent of greasy fast food poo poo into the poor, abused toilet. It's loving 5 degrees hotter and noticably more humid in there from the endless expulsion of gas and putrid feces, and if just one of these stupid fat fucks would eat vegetables or wait to poo poo at home I wouldn't feel an enormous wave of guilt and pity whenever I direct an innocent client towards the only restroom.

BUT NO instead it's a maternity ward filled with 50 year old engineers birthing yesterday's Arby's, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Also, the huge dudes that are dropping off Pringles can sized turds on the reg but are also seemingly in such a rush to finish that they rip 120 decibel farts. drat, dude, slow it down! You don't have to push so hard! I still reflexively cover my ears when someone enters a stall near the one I'm in because there were so many of these guys at my last job and it would seriously make my ears ring.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Apr 19, 2019