Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

GrandmaParty posted:

We did indeed find Goku. He don't look so good.

Looks like a guy who’d be called Dick Masterson alright :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It's Peach, isn't it?

If it's Aeris that's loving stupid.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
bold of you to assume this gently caress would make it that simple

it'll be like Sarah from final fantasy 1 or something and in-game mr Edgy Talk Show Host will condescend at you for thinking it was Peach, you normie

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It's Peach, isn't it?

If it's Aeris that's loving stupid.

I'm guessing Zelda if it's supposed to be "near and dear to gamer's hearts"

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

you know all those longposts I made at the start of the thread about cautious optimism vis-a-vis alex getting an arc and pointing out all the good things in this game? being charitable? well. actually that died ages ago but alex being a shithead to his mom and his robo-wife like it's going out of style really killed that

I remember when all I'd seen of this pile was the llama scene, the iwata grave, and the ginger line with Not Elisa Lam. I remember wanting to give this thing a fair shake. I remember hope. god I miss those days

edit:

- if you're a blank slate covered in war paint you're not a goddamn blank slate you piece of poo poo
- I do like Chondra's conversation and Proto-Michael being a thing, even if the latter feels undeserved. it's not a capstone to any arc michael had. michael's character so far could be condensed into "mocks older people". it's just. there. because muh posed modder knee schism.

I liked those longposts and was concerned for your wellbeing when they disappeared.

creationist believer posted:

Things I liked in this episode:
  • Police Officer's voice actor's delivery of the line "I am the greatest cop on the force"
  • Multiple interactions with Barksy
  • Lots of Scabs

The way Essentia 2000 stressed the importance of recruiting your friends, in a good game, would have led to some side quests for everyone in the party or at least some important interactions with them. Instead, Vella is convinced to join the futile fight against the apocalypse off camera. Rory, Chondra, and Clauido just go through an irrelevant conversations before joining. Recruiting Michael at least had some world building and character development, although it was a little fuzzy. Maybe Chondra's comment about figuring out how she knew you were going to ask her to join the fight against the world ending will have some pay off, but I doubt it!

Loved the cop. Second favorite thing in the game so far.

There is some interaction coming up in the next few episodes. Next episode will be minor sidequests and interaction, the episode after that will be sidequest/interaction and possibly the beginning of the end.

I'll have a messageboard post up tonight.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

GrandmaParty posted:

I liked those longposts and was concerned for your wellbeing when they disappeared.

honestly it was part YIIK just draining my capacity to put in that much effort, part everyone already beating me to the things I wanted to say and saying them better, and part my attention being split across plenty of other stuff too, so I'm at least a little exaggerating my despair here. but only a little

I am still legitimately touched, though. on both counts. wow

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

honestly it was part YIIK just draining my capacity to put in that much effort, part everyone already beating me to the things I wanted to say and saying them better, and part my attention being split across plenty of other stuff too, so I'm at least a little exaggerating my despair here. but only a little

I am still legitimately touched, though. on both counts. wow

You're a nice person and I'm half Jewish Mother. I care about all my babies.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GrandmaParty posted:

You're a nice person and I'm half Jewish Mother. I care about all my babies.

Grandma is the best :allears:

But seriously, bless you for taking on this dumb loving game.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Grandma is the best :allears:

But seriously, bless you for taking on this dumb loving game.

Thank you for joining me and making me giggle like an idiot. Your episode is a fun one.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Speaking of next episode, it's a fuckload of subquests.

How do you find subquests? Through ONISM.

All of them. We do all of them. EXCEPT ONE.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 17, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh god, I can only imagine the one you're not doing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

IUG posted:

Oh god, I can only imagine the one you're not doing.

IT. KNOWS. WHAT. IT. DID.

It's one of those listed above.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I can't even read any of those.
Who would think that's a a good way of presenting anything that's meant to be read?
Everything else wrong with this game comes down to the creators poorly implementing something or being fucks with terrible World views but there what is the point of this.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It looks like the first screenshot of the long one you're probably not doing appears twice and maybe a very small part of the story is missing.

Tonal whiplash there for sure. And now I see why Alex's Mom was on the list of places the van appeared. I'm glad to know the answer to whether it was serious or not was "both".

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Seeing all those sidequests lined up which mostly seem to involve just talking to someone or look like they're going to lead to fighting the same handful of enemies we've already seen in the same handful of locations really puts into perspective how small and barren YIIK's world is. The entirety of the world map could probably fit into two or three screenshots and, while having a smaller scope is by no means necessarily a bad thing, YIIK's world feels utterly static and its population is lifeless; I think every NPC we've seen either exists for the sake of a one-off joke, for telling Alex how much he has improved, or for worrying about Y2K.

As for the princess name required for accessing the secret ending, it almost certainly has to be Zelda. After all, entering that name was how you skipped to the second quest in the original Legend of Zelda and YIIK likes nothing more than drawing parallels between awful things it's doing and things which have been done far better in much better games.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

TheKirbs posted:

I can't even read any of those.
Who would think that's a a good way of presenting anything that's meant to be read?
Everything else wrong with this game comes down to the creators poorly implementing something or being fucks with terrible World views but there what is the point of this.

Yeah I had to get on a desktop to read any of that, and it was still difficult. I can't imagine people with poor eyesight or require screenreaders can read those at all. But then again, this game is just often user unfriendly, period.

Here's a summary for those on phones or have poor eyesight. The text in brackets is my commentary.

A post to a company dumping toxic waste, regular turtles mutated into teenage mutant ninja tur uh I mean TORTOISES and are stealing pizza and the OP wants someone else to do something about it.

There’s an entity? in water town under a water tower

There’s another entity in Windmill/Frankton town

Man are work says his wife abandoned/lost his sons in a mall and wants someone to find them.
[is this a reference to.. god what was the case. Not the Amber Hagerman death but where two young boys abducted another male child from a mall and murdered him. Maybe I’m drawing lines where there aren’t connections.]

Someone wants 10 rare pigs. [Autocorrect changed pogs to pigs and honestly? Improved.]

Someone are a mall is hanging up Missing Posters for Semi Pak and wants help distributing posters.

There’s an entity or alien at the reservoir.

A thread about Semi Pak, that the investigation/search for her has ended due to finding a buried body wrapped in dirty blankets. Injuries on the body indicate suicide. A second person replies states its the body of a different Korean woman, from another town. A third person replies that Semi is dead and the OP post is about having found Pak’s body. The second person replies, disagreeing. The third person reply again with nothing but ‘elevator girl is dead she slit her wrists’ in all caps repeatedly and is banned for this.

Someone is trading a lot ‘pocket monster’ cards and wants [buried treasure] in exchange.

Someone’s brother is missing in Frankton and wants someone to go look for them as they are in a wheelchair and cannot do so very easily.

A thread discussing the van ‘Teh rear end-scent tia girlbot’ was found in. It was in a pic of Semi Pak and was photographed in a small lake. [I think this is resolved already tho.]

There’s an entity at an old factory in Frankton.

A thread about childhood stuffed animals. Cute!

A thread by Sweet Baby Kitty Mouth about his sister’s suicide, the plot bit about being proven it’s not his sister he was sensing, and if people in general can sense the spirits of departed family members.
[theres no replies to this post. RIP]

A thread about weird stuff happening around town. Apparently op was getting attacked by random animals, such as a Rat Of Unusual Size and a flock of birds. [must be tail dragging bird loving season, I guess.] A person replied with encountering ‘creepy ‘people of walmart’ weirdos’ while out taking photographs and has since decided to carry around a baseball bat like a loving crack head.
[I want to point out that ‘VERAformer’ drops a sick burn on Alex aka SNESman420. “Last week we had to beat up an alpaca and some samurai turtles. It’s a great workout though. I wouldn’t want to get chubby like @SNESman420 before I go away to school.’
[Did people do the whole ‘@ user name goes here’ back on the old BBS? I feel like that’s a newer trend but what do I know.]

A thread about finding the Mystic Ultima LP record.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I have questions now.

- Has Alex shown any interest in cannabis outside of LOL @SNESman420? I would have expected him to be more of an XxSNESmanxX or SNESman69 type.
- Frankton is obviously smaller than my hometown, and I'm a fuckin' hayseed. We're talking about a place that's, like, Letterkenny small. How many missing people can there be before Dateline NBC and Nancy Grace show up and refuses to leave?
- Not a question, but I didn't like only having two bullet points. Using real life events as inspiration is one thing, but there's something about the way this game does it that feels slimy and gross.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man, those posts make me think that an RPG - or any genre of game, really - focused on investigating/capturing/eliminating urban legends where you get your quests from online message boards would be a great idea. (This isn't that game though.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man, those posts make me think that an RPG - or any genre of game, really - focused on investigating/capturing/eliminating urban legends where you get your quests from online message boards would be a great idea. (This isn't that game though.)

That's kind of a thing in Persona 2 actually, where much of the plot's action was built on the fact that for some reason rumors were coming true.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah, neat. Now just apply that to a sleepy American town setting with a Twin Peaks vibe.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you know all those longposts I made at the start of the thread about cautious optimism vis-a-vis alex getting an arc and pointing out all the good things in this game? being charitable? well. actually that died ages ago but alex being a shithead to his mom and his robo-wife like it's going out of style really killed that

I remember when all I'd seen of this pile was the llama scene, the iwata grave, and the ginger line with Not Elisa Lam. I remember wanting to give this thing a fair shake. I remember hope. god I miss those days
I remember when I said "at least Alex isn't a Gary Stu" ITT. God I was naive

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Omnicrom posted:

That's kind of a thing in Persona 2 actually, where much of the plot's action was built on the fact that for some reason rumors were coming true.

We just keep finding other games that did the stuff that YIIK is trying to do, but better, huh?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

There was a spoiler here that out of context seems more important than it was, but either way it's gone now. Just know you can draw a lot of curious parallels between Persona 2 and Yick, and whatever problems P2 has (MUTATION GRINDING UGH!) it's still a much better game that knew how to explore a theme in a non-stupid way and didn't star a solipsistic man-baby.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 18, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

If we want to keep finding parallels note that P2 also ...

If that's a spoiler can you please stick it behind those sexy black bars? :v: It's kinda too late for me but I assume others still want to play that game.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Thanks

I take it the one GrandmaParty isn't doing involves either the child missing in the mall or the banned user?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 23 is up.

Special guests: Dirt Road Junglist. This marks the end of strong lady fun block unless I can find more fun ladies to commentate (I can and will for Jimmy).

Side quest extravaganza! We do all of them. Except one. gently caress that one. It's at the end.

Also I break the game a little bit.

Cutscene Commentary On

Cutscene Commentary Off

Scabs features heavily in this one. Xander was also gonna be there but he was busy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So this episode is Boss and Pierce from Saints Row, but instead of running heists their crime is playing this game.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So after the full game, the whole reward for all those Pogs is something you have picked up in like 2-3 trash cans?.. gently caress this game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The real reward was all the pogs we collected along the way.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The quest reward is a pity prize for giving away your precious pogs.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
For a game thats persona, its missing something.

Like an annoying animal companion that tells you what you should do and when...

Oh but I know which animal has been the most reoccurring element in this YIIK LP so far.

(Just kidding, Scabs is great)

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

so the ghost tape side quest ended on a wet fart, huh

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

so the ghost tape side quest ended on a wet fart, huh

Not as much of a wet fart as the buried treasure quest will.

I've got buried treasure quest, missing kid quest, trading quest, 20 floors of the mind dungeon, Dick Masterson, some friend fun cutscenes and then sleeping for roughly 25 straight days before endgame.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

DeafNote posted:

For a game thats persona, its missing something.

Like an annoying animal companion that tells you what you should do and when...

Oh but I know which animal has been the most reoccurring element in this YIIK LP so far.

(Just kidding, Scabs is great)

Katherine loves this.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

IUG posted:

So after the full game, the whole reward for all those Pogs is something you have picked up in like 2-3 trash cans?.. gently caress this game.

Still not as bad as the lighthouse gem quest from Ultima IX.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

IUG posted:

And a level!

Which it looks like you could also get by talking to your party.

I guess, given the choice, I would rather scour the continent for rare items only to give them all away than talk to people, so I can understand the appeal.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
As much as these party conversations interest me for some unknown godless reason.
Nobody should have to suffer more YIIK for that.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

GrandmaParty posted:

then sleeping for roughly 25 straight days before endgame.

you can't possibly be serious. Why would they give you so much extra time? It's not like it's Pikmin or Persona, the time limit hasn't been a thing until just now, what would you possibly spend that much time on?

Wish I had any faith in my microphone and internet connection, would have been fun to be on an LP.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

DeafNote posted:

As much as these party conversations interest me for some unknown godless reason.
Nobody should have to suffer more YIIK for that.

This is a 100% run, baby. We're doin' 'em.

We're broaching endgame next episode or the episode after. Boot and rally, baby.

ManlyGrunting posted:

you can't possibly be serious. Why would they give you so much extra time? It's not like it's Pikmin or Persona, the time limit hasn't been a thing until just now, what would you possibly spend that much time on?

Wish I had any faith in my microphone and internet connection, would have been fun to be on an LP.

I'll keep rotating commentators for Jimmy.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I looked up the second ending out of curiosity and it was so much worse than I could have imagined :stare: