Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Your name is 'pump', and you want me to say my name is 'anus'? Is this one of those hidden camera things? Am I being punked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

simplefish posted:

I just want you to know I appreciated the Plato's Cave reference

Thanks!

Did everyone enjoy the Schopenhauer reference as well? ;)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I welcome, with arms wide open, any more votes on our true name. Don't worry, unless you run into family nobody will call you that!

I'll be updating again later tonight, and we only have one temple left after this, so hit that "anus" button!

Edit:. Just a couple hours now, here's your chance to make history!

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 16, 2019

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

simplefish posted:

Our True Name is MAURICE, tell the drat Canadian

E: make it unequivocally clear we want our memories only to know what we need to put right, not to know who we "are"

This is correct

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Geez, I wonder why a character named "Zesty Anus" is having trouble recalling his memories. I'm beginning to think the mind-wipe was entirely voluntary on our part.

Brawnfire posted:

Did everyone enjoy the Schopenhauer reference as well? ;)

Ummmm...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

Our True Name is MAURICE, tell the drat Canadian

E: make it unequivocally clear we want our memories only to know what we need to put right, not to know who we "are"

"Luuk, hiw du yeu thank thes theng warks? Yeu'll rimimber whot yeu'll rimimber." says Mellifluous Pump, irritably. "Jist plaise fucos en yeur treu nime."

"I'm telling you, my name is Maurice!"

"Und I'm tilling yeu, et dun't wirk lake thet!" mutters Pump, fiddling with some knobs on the sides of the memory window.

"Look, why does it matter?" you snap. "Can't it just find memories without a name?"

Pump looks like he's about to burst. Very slowly, and trying to suppress his accent as much as possible, he explains like you're a child who doesn't want a shot:

"Ef it doos not hive a currect rigistration pint frum the brainstate uf thi mimeries beang acquired, it cooold ceuse mijor brain dimage. Anderstand?"

"I just... I don't like the name that's coming up for me."

"Et's fine! Jost say et!"

Tunicate posted:

Your name is 'pump', and you want me to say my name is 'anus'? Is this one of those hidden camera things? Am I being punked?

"It's got 'anus' in it, man! I could've gone my life not remembering that! Also, between that and your being named 'Pump', I'm not completely sure this isn't a prank."

Pump sighs, and the three pitches of phlegmy wheeze strike a perfect triad. The two of you take a moment's silent appreciation for what just happened.

HBar posted:

B. Depending on the pronunciation, Broadanus could almost sound like a perfectly respectable name that doesn't at all remind you of :goatsecx:.

But of course we never, ever speak a word of this to anyone else and stick with Maurice forever. And maybe we should do something nice for Eyeguy if he knew our name and never revealed it to the group.

Tunicate posted:

If you want to go for :butt:, might as well go all the way to Doublanus

vortmax posted:

I don't know, I kind of like Justanus. It's simple!

(I finally got caught up on this thread and I'm still loving it)

Tree Bucket posted:

Geez, I wonder why a character named "Zesty Anus" is having trouble recalling his memories. I'm beginning to think the mind-wipe was entirely voluntary on our part.

Ummmm...

The choice of name for O is Obitanus, as in "obit anus abit onus". Just bein' silly.

[I decided to roll a d4 with the names that have been commented on.]

Choosing a True Name; 1="Broadanus" 2="Doublanus" 3="Justanus" 4="Zestianus: 1d4 1

"My name is Broadanus d'Morani Is that what you need? Vuldon be praised!"

You see a glimmer of mirth on Pump's face, which he quickly replaces with a semblance of professionalism. "Su it es, thunk yau. Bot thes es interosting..."

"What's interesting? You're looking into my brain, remember, I'd appreciate it if you told me what's going on."

"Thot es yeur treu nime os fir es yeu're awire, bot yeu heve anather nime."

"You realize you're barely comprehensible, right?"

"Nut whire I'm frum, ser." he replies. "Dues 'Child of Two Worlds'" maen onytheng tu yeu?"

You sigh. "Yes. How are the memories coming along?"

"E've riconnicted neurizes, bypassed neurizes whare I wus anable." says Mellifluous Pump. "Yeu shauld bi rigaineng mimories, bet-by-bet, ovir tyme."

"So they won't just come flooding back to me?" you ask, not sure if you're disappointed or relieved.

"Nit ull et ince, bot es yeu need thim, thiy mey cume tu yeu whin bifore thiy wauld not." says Pump.

"Well, in that case, I'm getting out of here. I can't take the sound of your voice for one more second. Thanks, Pump!" You call the last words over your shoulder as you skip out of the room.

You come upon your companions huddled around a tea-pot in a small canteen. "Oh, hi!" says Tsshst, brightly. "Remember anything new?" She's eating a tea biscuit from a tin on the counter.

"Not yet," you reply. Broadanus. Broadanus. Broadanus. "I'm still waiting for my, uh, neuro- no, I'm not even going to try. I'm still waiting for my brain to reconnect, I guess."

"Well, we found something useful." says Tsshst.

"Yes. a teapot." Eye Guy interjects, nibbling the edges of a tea biscuit until they're ragged.

"Besides the teapot; Eye Guy was doing some reading up on the Morani and the Scuumi."

Eye Guy picks up the thread. "You'll recall all three families were once united in control over the region, blessed with military power by the Constructors."

"Of course." you answer. "And?"

"The alliance didn't just fall apart because of random infighting." says Eye Guy, dipping a tea biscuit in his tea. "Apparently the Constructors offered something, a reward for whomever eased the Incursion on behalf of the Constructors. It seems this is where the Cariti began to resist; somehow, this was the straw that split the ungulat's spine. The other two families fell on them and, when they dispersed the Cariti, attacked each other, knowing they could not share the reward."

"And what was the reward?" you ask, selecting a tea biscuit.

"That much, we don't know." says Eye Guy. "But whatever it is... it seems as though the Morani already received it." He nibbles his tea biscuit pensively.

"They won." grimaces Tsshst, gesturing with a tea biscuit. "Whatever these Constructors have planned, they're certainly acting like endgame approaches."

Eye Guy looks surprised. "Oh, your reality has chess, too?"

"No way, you too?" exclaims Tsshst, her mouth full of tea biscuit. "How sneexy! I wonder if they're-"

"Sorry to interrupt, but it seems like you're saying we're just about out of time, would you agree with that assessment?"

Tsshst nods, swallowing her tea biscuit.

"So, if nobody else has any questions left, we should get a move on to the next temple. All this messing around in the Temple Plane has me itching for some real-world action. Are Adanios and Baradas still messing around in their magical codex section?" you ask impatiently, munching on a tea biscuit.

"Yeah." says Eye Guy.

A: Any more questions before you head over to the Temple of Kräator?

B: What about the Interpreters?
1.) We'd better wait for Adanios and Baradas to show up before we go.
2.) Screw this, we're going to go find Adanios and Baradas, drag them out by the ears.
3.) Let's just go without Adanios and Baradas, they can catch up when they're done.

Inventory
Characters
Map

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands
[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 16, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"Just to head this off, any way to check if this child of two worlds poo poo was the reward the morani got?"

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

B1. It's all timey-wimey in here, it's not like we're wasting any time in the real world. Just enjoy some tea with our pals while we wait for Adobo and Barbacoa.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tfw you put the wrong protagonist's name down. Fixed. I gotta smoke less during updates.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Brawnfire posted:

Tfw you put the wrong protagonist's name down. Fixed. I gotta smoke less during updates.

I saw that glancing through, thought it was some radical twist

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

"Just to head this off, any way to check if this child of two worlds poo poo was the reward the morani got?"

"You don't think my being a 'Child of Two Worlds' has something to do with this reward the Constructors gave the Morani?"

"It's possible..."

If I may, it is not that.

Constructor brain! Nice to hear from you. Are you feeling any better?

To be blunt, no; I am overcome with revulsion and hatred for my Constructor nature. I wish I could simply destroy myself.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We're both something we don't want to be, and we're both in it together. Just think about what you can do to make things better.

Thank you. That actually helps.

As I was saying, however; I know what the reward might be. In other realities, w- the Constructors would select a faction, and promise to reward them above all others if they could destroy, enslave, or otherwise pacify the rest. In my recollection, the reward was usually a pocket universe, a dollhouse in which the 'victorious' faction can live out their perverse pleasures in perpetuity.

So the Morani are selling out the whole of their reality for... a playground. Where they can play king of the castle eternally. Fitting, really.

You share your findings with your comrades.

"Then it's true." says Eye Guy. "The Morani really are the biggest pieces of poo poo in this reality."

"I don't like the implications of any of this." you say. "There's no way they're being rewarded this handsomely for just taking out a couple of other powerful families. There must be something else, something bigger. A winning move."

"What makes you think that?" asks Tsshst.

"Call it instinct."

There's an uneasy silence as you all contemplate what's the worst thing the Morani could possibly have done. There's a frightening number of hypotheticals that come to your mind.

HBar posted:

B1. It's all timey-wimey in here, it's not like we're wasting any time in the real world. Just enjoy some tea with our pals while we wait for Adobo and Barbacoa.

At last, Eye Guy asks if you should find the Interpreters and leave the temple; you decide you'd rather just sit for a while and have some tea. Why not? Time isn't going anywhere, so you can afford to relax-

You feel the ground shake, then again more violently.

"What was that?" you ask, anxiously.

The tea in the teacups shivers as the shaking becomes a rhythmic pounding.

You see Adanios and Baradas burst out of a stairwell, running and shouting incoherently.

"We have to get out of here! Run! Run, run, run!" screams Baradas as she tears past you.

"What's going on?" you demand.

"We made a mistake! We made a big mistake!" shouts Adanios, stumbling as an ornamental rug slips under his foot. "Bad research!"

"Bad... research?" you say, incredulously. "There's no such thing as bad research, Adanios, just bad practice! What did you do?"

"Run, you idiot!" Baradas shrieks.

The double-door to the stairwell blasts open, revealing-

-a little girl?

A profound feeling of menace and evil washes over you, to the point where you nearly lose bladder control.

"Who is that?" says Eye Guy in a high-pitched voice. "I don't like her!" he turns and bolts after Adanios and Baradas. Tsshst joins the running a second later.

You sincerely don't give a thox if this thing looks like a little girl, everything in your soul tells you this is a monster of unspeakable rage. You snap off one round from your Frag pistol. The bright sphere of energy sails towards the evil-looking girl, and...

...vanishes!

She looks right at you, very angrily.

You feel a hand on your arm. "I told you to run!" hisses Baradas at you. "If I'm running, you should be running too!"

"I just thought-"

"That's the problem! Running! Lots of running! Get out of the temple, we'll be safe!"

The Major Librarian, Secidni, appears from the offices. "What have you done?" she says, directly to you.

"Excuse me? This is your Risen friends' doing, not mine! You need to address your bigotry!"

"I need to address this mess, thank you very much!" mutters the Librarian, angrily. "Alright, iXXis, time to go take a nap! Lay down on your planar vertex and go to sleep!"

"To Squiv with this." you scoff, and walk out the door.

You find yourself standing in front of a great, forested hill with a mighty tower standing steadfastly atop it, a round window in the front commanding a view of the Plane of Temples.

You trudge up the hill, along a path that twists and meanders around the trees. You come upon a massive statue of some kind of angry beast.

"Shimfa, the lion-hearted." says Adanios, impressed. "A powerful avatar of Kräator. What an amazing work."

"What the Squiv is a lion?" you ask.

"Large feline? Mane of hair?" Adanios prompts. You shrug.

"A muncax!" cries out Tsshst, excitedly. "Yeah, they were native to the sorn-dexern continent; I saw one in a zoocology once!"

Suddenly, you feel yourself being pulled towards the statue. You struggle against the force; the others are also struggling. Grunting and roaring with effort, one-by-one you are pulled into the statue.

You tumble out into what looks like an open-concept dojo inside a greenhouse.

A large, feline-featured being sits upon the ground.

YOU STAND IN THE PRESENCE OF SHIMFA. WHAT SAY YOU?

"Uh... hi?" you reply.

Shimfa looks at you appraisingly, and then laughs a hearty, bellowing laugh.

HI. I HAVE HEARD MUCH OF YOUR EXPLOITS. YOU FIGHT WITH THE SAVAGERY OF AN ANIMAL ; YOU ENGAGE WITH THE GRACE AND FORESIGHT OF MAN. THE DUALITY OF VIOLENCE IS AT HOME WITHIN YOU, GUIDED BY A GREAT PURPOSE. IT HAS AROUSED MY INTEREST.

"I'm glad I could arouse you." you reply, uncertainly.

"If I may, Shimfa, the Lion-Hearted..." begins Adanios, "but is this man the reason you have graced us with your divine presence here today?"

YOU WILL NOT NEED TO SPEAK ANY MORE WORDS, INTERPRETER. YOUR TALK DOES NOT INTEREST ME. HUMAN MAURICE, I WISH TO AID IN YOUR GREAT STRUGGLE AGAINST THE CONSTRUCTORS, FOR I ADMIRE THE FEROCITY OF THAT STRUGGLE.

"I welcome it."

YOUR OPTIONS ARE THREEFOLD; YOU MAY SELECT ONE BOON, AND I WILL GRANT IT

FIRST, AS I SEE YOU ARE FOND OF GUNS, I OFFER THE PISTOL OF IOSEMITEE THE MARKSMAN MARTYR, A POWERFUL SIDEARM THAT NONETHELESS DID NOT PREVENT HIS BLOODY PERSECUTION. IT MAY AID YOU, HOWEVER.

"Wow, that's a weird gun!" you exclaim, taking in its bulbous, jewels-and-gold decor.

INDEED. SECOND, THE ARMOR OF KRÄATOR'S DAD. HE WAS MEANT TO INHERIT THIS BUT HE HAD HIS OWN THAT HE LIKED BETTER BY THE TIME HE DID. MAYBE IT WILL FIT YOU. IF IT DOES, IT'S INCREDIBLY POWERFUL, AND HAS PROPERTIES OF PHYSICAL ENHANCEMENT.

"Are you saying it will make me look ripped?" you quip, before a thought occurs to you: "Wait, how the Squiv can a projection of multiversal morality have a dad-"

THIRD, YOU MAY LEARN KREM-JIUKIDO, A POWERFUL MIXED MARTIAL ART DEVISED BY THE GREATEST WARRIORS TO EVER BECOME RISEN. AS THIS IS NOT AN OBJECT, THERE IS NO PICTURE OF IT--HOPEFULLY THIS DOES NOT REDUCE ITS VALUE RELATIVE TO THOSE OPTIONS WITH PICTURES

Which boon from Kräator do you accept?
1.) The Pistol of Iosemitee.
2.) The Armor of Kräator's Dad. (does he have a name?)
3.) The martial art of Krem-Jiukido.

Inventory
Characters
Map

[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 17, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

3. Let's Neo this poo poo up.

Also, ask if there are any warriors here who are ready to join the war against the Constructors.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've heard a bit about Krem Jiukido. Is it true the stances are so formidable they fortify you against the elements themselves, but so deep and deceptive that foes can't keep track - or even count - of your limbs?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Very tempted to vote 1 but we already have as many pistols as we have hands. If Shimfa could offer a third arm for our arms, it'd be a much better deal.

I can't picture Maurice as a martial artist, even after supernatural training by a literal god. But he's definitely going to need protection from his own dumb choices, so we need the dad armor.

e: Whoa. So maybe we can get that third arm, but we can't get the gun at the same time. What a dilemma.

HBar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 17, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Think of it this way, there will always be more guns but there won't always be more limbs to hold them with.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Tunicate posted:

I've heard a bit about Krem Jiukido. Is it true the stances are so formidable they fortify you against the elements themselves, but so deep and deceptive that foes can't keep track - or even count - of your limbs?

It was what I was going to vote for before, but cmon, how could I now possibly vote for anything else?

Also ask cat dude if he gets along with dog dude or if theyre mortal enemies

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Also that suit of armour is missing an arm. That's what we do to other people, not what we want done to us to make it fit properly.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Such is the majesty of Kraator's Dad that we can do naught but mumble "thanks, Kraator's dad" when he buys us McDonald's on the way home from soccer practice.
I was going to vote for the armour, but having witnessed the zardoz-esque power of

I hereby vote for Krem-Jiukido.

simplefish posted:

At first I thought this was a really bad idea, but it occurs to me that anything which makes the cat-spirit angry is also going to make him super happy...
If we keep this up, what are our chances of becoming a Risen of Drunken Belligerence? We're on that path already, right?

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
I feel like we gotta learn kung-fu our guns are already fantastically powerful anyway and armor just doesn't seem our style.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Ah, a fellow Krem-Jiukido artist! Remarkable that you found an image of the Krem-Kadai himself demonstrating the "Rampant Centipex" posture.

Yes, a powerful martial art, but it comes with much discipline.

HermanCain
Aug 2, 2013
Krem-Jiukido!!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Btw now that you can put in negative values for image categories, you can ask it what the opposite of an object is.

For instance, the opposite of a digital clock is a chicken

https://ganbreeder.app/i?k=75b15a8a8dd3f6c2ee08def2

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

super sweet best pal posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Btw now that you can put in negative values for image categories, you can ask it what the opposite of an object is.

For instance, the opposite of a digital clock is a chicken

https://ganbreeder.app/i?k=75b15a8a8dd3f6c2ee08def2

This thing just keeps getting better.

And it's true, the opposite of a digital clock is a (analog) chicken.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Alarm clocks stealing the job of honest roosters.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Tree Bucket posted:

I hereby vote for Krem-Jiukido.

Pustulio posted:

I feel like we gotta learn kung-fu our guns are already fantastically powerful anyway and armor just doesn't seem our style.

HermanCain posted:

Krem-Jiukido!!!

YOU MUST DISCIPLINE YOUR MIND. FOCUS ON THROUGHSPACE.

"Throughspace? Like, where Shrunken Head Guy lives?"

THROUGHSPACE MAKES UP THE GAPS BETWEEN REALITIES. IF YOU ARE ABLE TO MASTER THIS, YOU ARE ABLE TO MASTER MOVEMENT THROUGH SPACE, IN MANY REALITIES AT ONCE.

You try to envision Throughspace. All you can picture is Shrunken Head Guy, so you figure that must be better than nothing. You focus on Shrunken Head Guy's face.

FOCUS. FOCUS.

You feel yourself going "soft". You don't know how to describe it exactly. It's as if your being is fading from the reality you inhabit.

GOOD, YES. WHAT DO YOU SEE?

It's actually very difficult to describe the phenomenon.

"I suppose it's like... like I've fallen behind a bookshelf, and I can see inside the stories inside each of the books... I can look between them, I can-"

MOVE BETWEEN THEM.

You try stepping into another reality. You can only stay there a moment, before a sense of "balance" returns you to your center of being in Throughspace. No, in the Temple Plane...

...it doesn't matter, actually, does it? Perhaps you stand here, but your legs and arms may freely move through myriad closely-grouped realities.

"This is really cool, but how do I make use of it?" you ask.

NOW, CONSIDER THAT THERE ARE NO REALITIES MORE CLOSELY LINKED THAN THE MOMENT IS TO ITSELF

"...beg pardon?"

THE MOMENT AND THE SELFSAME MOMENT ARE INFINITE REALITIES CLOSELY LINKED

"Whoa, really?"

SORT OF. IF YOU UNDERSTAND IT THAT WAY, IT WILL MAKE IT THAT WAY.

Suddenly, you feel as though you get it.

"There's time connected by space, and space connected by time. What if I remove the 'and'? Time connected by space connected by time."

IF THAT HELPS YOU, FOCUS ON IT.

thanks to Tunicate!

You feel as though your body has become many. Your limbs manifest themselves over and over again: two arms, four arms, seven, it doesn't matter; your limbs are where they need to be.

In fact, it becomes difficult to remember what "normalcy" is. How many limbs did you start with? How many of you are there? Which reality is real?

THIS IS WHERE DISCIPLINE BECOMES IMPORTANT. YOU ARE NOT INFINITE, HUMAN MAURICE. YOU ARE A STRUCTURE, A BEING, AND YOU MUST MAINTAIN THAT.

"What is happening? What happens if I can't?"

IF YOU DO NOT RESTRAIN YOURSELF, YOU MAY EVANESCE.

"What? What does that mean?" you ask.

YOUR VERY BEING MAY DISSIPATE; YOUR ATTEMPTS AT SELF-DEFINITION WILL BECOME MORE AND MORE DIFFICULT IF YOU DO NOT FOCUS STRONGLY ON YOURSELF AS YOU TRULY ARE. REMEMBER YOUR LIMITATIONS ARE ALSO YOUR DEFINITIONS.

You remember yourself; two arms, two legs, a torso, a head, bifocal vision. It feels as though it takes an enormous amount of energy, physical and mental will, to pull the multiplicity of your self back into a single cohesive and tactile whole.

At last, the blurred lines snap into certainty, the waveforms collapse, the decisions are made and the future is opaque. It feels kind of small, but cozy and correct to be in this form.

"So I have to be careful, huh? If I freak out and smear myself across spacetime, I might not be able to return to this form." You feel unexpectedly exhausted, and your muscles are cramping in places you're pretty sure you don't have muscles.

RECALL ALSO THAT YOU ARE NOT INVINCIBLE. IF YOU STRIKE OR ARE STRUCK, IT WILL IMPACT YOU. NORMALLY, YOU ARE ONLY INJURED ONCE, AS YOUR PHYSICAL SELF IN YOUR OWN REALITY. YOU OPEN YOURSELF UP TO RAPIDLY-COMPOUNDING DAMAGE; CONSIDER THAT EVEN A WELL-PLACED PUNCH MAKES THE KNUCKLES STING. A THOUSAND SUCH PUNCHES WOULD MAKE THE KNUCKLES DUST.

"The message I'm getting here is, don't go overboard."

BASICALLY. THIS IS A POWER WITH MUCH POTENTIAL FOR GOOD OR AWFUL ; I WOULD NOT OFFER THIS TO YOU IF YOU WERE WEAKER OF SPIRIT.

"Now what?"

ANY QUESTIONS?

simplefish posted:

LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY: YOU KNOW WHAT HIS TABLE DOES, RIGHT? SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU START WITH STEAK AND SINGLE MALT. DOG'S A SOLID BRO.

Also, ask if there are any warriors here who are ready to join the war against the Constructors.

AMONG THE RISEN? NO, THEY ARE PAST THEIR TIME OF ACTIONS WITHIN THE MANIFEST. BUT THERE IS ANOTHER GREAT WARRIOR WHO STRIDES AMONG THE UNIVERSES AND BATTLES CONSTRUCTORS, LIKE YOURSELF ; IN TIME YOUR PATHS WILL CROSS.

"Like me? Another Maurice out there?"

SIMILAR ENOUGH. NOW YOUR LESSON IS COMPLETE. YOU KNOW THE BASICS ; EVERYTHING ELSE IS TECHNIQUE, WHICH WILL COME TO YOU WITH USE OF THE SKILLS. I WILL NOW RETURN YOU TO THE CONSTRUCT ; BEST OF LUCK, HUMAN MAURICE

"Oh thox, okay-"

You, Adanios, Baradas, Eye Guy, and Tsshst stand blinking in a chamber, obviously part of the Construct you were in earlier. A vertical structure hums and throbs with light nearby.

"What is this?" you ask.

"We're in a teleportation depot; they are used by the iO Shiamara to get around the Construct." answers Tsshst. "That was really disorienting."

"Maybe for you; I had a lovely denouement to my experience. Excellent narrative structure." says Eye Guy.

"Get any cool items or powers?" you ask.

Eye Guy smirks. "Just you wait. I want it to be a surprise."

Baradas closes her eyes and holds her hand out towards the structure. "This teleportation willbringer has the ability to bring us to several places within the Construct. Where should we begin?"

1.) The iO Shiamara Command Center
2.) The Controller Focum
3.) The Central Transgressor Unit
4.) Harmonic Calibration Chamber
5.) Disruption Neutralization Chambers

Inventory
Characters
Map

[A concurrent CYOA]

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

5. Let's get hipster startup on this place and disrupt everything

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We can't have them neutralizing our attempts to disrupt them.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

5, we better rescue our comrades before we blow it all up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HBar posted:

5, we better rescue our comrades before we blow it all up.

We can't have them neutralizing our attempts to disrupt them.

simplefish posted:

5. Let's get hipster startup on this place and disrupt everything

Hello again / it is good to see you

"Shrunken Head Guy! Always good to see you, too!"

I witnessed your acrobatics / you move using Throughspace elegantly

"Thanks! Shimfa taught me how to do it."

I think that you were predisposed to be skilled at this / as a unifying thread between two realities you are ever pulled towards Throughspace / you have simply learned to stop resisting and start controlling

"I suppose you're right."

"Why are we back here again?" says Baradas, irritably.

"It seems to be something that happens when I use portals or teleports. I've come to accept it. It's just nice to get a visit from my old friend." You pause. "Actually, I was intending to ask about you at the temple of Naught|All, but I seem to have forgotten."

That was purposeful / the Dwellers Without as you call us are a secretive people / we do not invite inquiry into our nature nor do we invite visitors

"So what's your interest in Maurice here, then?" asks Adanios. "Is it his duality that intrigues you?"

How does one describe a knowledge beyond Knowledge or a sense beyond Senses? / know that there is more to the Child of Two Worlds than an accident of nature / as Risen you must be able to sense the distinction of his being

"I mean, I know he's a Bridger and all, but-" Adanios looks you up and down, and frowns a bit. "I just don't see the fuss."

You're honestly sick of this. "You know what, you guys? I've had it up to here with this Risen beastbeest-poo poo. You think you're better than everyone because you died and got promoted to doodlers and fan-fiction writers for a bunch of projections. There are people suffering, struggling for a better life and a free one, and you have the audacity to lord it over normal people. What the Squiv elevates you above us?"

"When I was a young man, I apprenticed with the muralist at the Great Temple of Hamor in my city, Anj-Dash." says Adanios. "I had a hand in some of the most beautiful and spectacular works ever to grace the walls of the Temple, and the people took pride and piety from it."

"Okay, so-"

"Then Hreriobamdosh came; a rider from the iconoclastic peoples of the Drem Mountains, who informed us that all such depictions of Hamor and his Works were forbade, on pain of death. After whitewashing the Temple and destroying all the statues, Hreriobamdosh had all the artists of Anj-Dash rounded up, and pilloried in the Temple Trapezedium.

Each day, we were told to recant. Each day, we refused. Each day, they took another finger. Then finally, they whacked our hands entirely from our arms, and burned us alive during a Festival of Renewal."

Yikes. "That's terrible, but-"

Baradas interrupts: "I was in my thirties, working with a project that would convert the entirely of the Ultrashanipads, my people's holiest work, into device-code to be shared over the Informesh.

This operation remained covert, as it was done against the express wishes of the prevailing political party, the Marmout Convent. The Marmout Convent believed that the words of the Ultrashanipads were meant to be accessed only be a select cabal of holy persons, whose influence over the interpretation of the peoples' religion was absolute.

Our group defied this, believing the edification contained within the Ultrashanipads was too valuable to the people to be doled out by the biased and powerful. When the Convent discovered it, to avoid press attention they simply gassed everyone inside the lab. Here I am."

"That's what elevates the Risen:" insists Adanios, " the drive to struggle, even when there is an easier path, even in the face of dismissal, disavowal, denigration, despair, destitution, death."

"But there must be trillions in the Manifest, struggling every day for the things they believe in, only to beaten down, broken, and murdered. Are you telling me that their struggles deserve nothing but oblivion? While people like you get an afterlife?"

"Did they struggle for anything greater than themselves?" asks Baradas. "Or did they struggle in the selfish drive for mere survival?"

You remember the infinite points of light you saw while transporting to the Temple Plane; the individual candles coming together to make a bright sun. Every one of those lights, a point in the dark, a mind that looked out on the world through eyes. A birth, a life, a death. To say this had no value...

Unthinkable.

"Does it really matter?" you ask, rhetorically and disgustedly.

Baradas and Adanios stop and look at each other, a strange expression somewhat resembling shame evident on their faces.

Adanios bows his head. "Perhaps you aren't wrong, Maurice. It is easy to see one's own rewards as just. I find myself revisiting many things I believe during this adventure."

You shrug. "Well, good."

Aw, I didn't even get to say goodbye to Shrunken Head Guy.

"What are we doing back here?" asks Eye Guy, irritably.

"This is a different teleportation depot." says Tsshst. "They just look pretty much the same."

"We're at a depot adjacent to the Disruption Neutralization Chambers." confirms Baradas. "If I'm correct, this will be where they have your compatriots."

Down a corridor, through a door, and down another short corridor, you find a large chamber.

"It's empty." mutters Eye Guy.

"No." you say. You feel as though you can see the glimmers of something just out of phase, if you focus. "It's in the other universe. We have to phase."

Everyone gathers close to you and you activate the digress device.

"What are these horrible things?" you exclaim.

"Isolation pods." answers Tsshst. "I bet you twenty quetlan your teammates are in there. In what state, who knows?" She looks at you with pity in her eyes. "You may not like what you see when we open these."

"This seems too easy." says Eye Guy, paranoia in his tone. "No doors, no locks, no guards, nothing. Just a phase. Why?"

"To get the drop on you, of course." says a voice from behind. You spin on your heel to see-

"Zosist!" you snarl.

"Don't make any wrong moves, human."

A massive Orthemka holds a whimpering Adanios aloft, looking as though it might tear him in two like wet tissue paper.

"Thox." you mutter. Tsshst nods, as if to say appropriate.

The Orthemka seems to be flickering rapidly between the two realities. So, these Constructors have some tricks they're trying out. They must be scared.

A.) What attack should we use first?
1.) Krem-Jiukido!
2.) Frag pistol!
3.) Jecta gun!

B.) And who to attack first?
1.) Zosist
2.) The Orthemka

Inventory
Characters
Map

[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 18, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

2, 2

Save our interdimensinal kung fu as a surprise can of whoop rear end to open

Also at least our holy book isn't called "Ol' Trash an' iPads"

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1, 2. An opponent straddling two realities sounds like the ideal target for krang-judo, and we gotta do something quick before he hurts Antigua.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
2,2 because I think (without looking back) frag pistols work against Orthemelets and we have to save Adrian!

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
1,2 I think the flickering might end up being resistant to fragging, perhaps by being in a different universe when it is hit or something, but we can punch it in any universe it cares to exist in.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can we use our new martial arts and the two pistols to shoot the Orthemka in both realities at the same time?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Can we use our new martial arts and the two pistols to shoot the Orthemka in both realities at the same time?

No, absolutely not.

lmao j/k that sounds perfectly feasible to me-asible. Krem-gun-kido is officially on the option table as "The Best Pal Maneuver".

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Changing my vote to Best Pal Best Option

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

simplefish posted:

Yeah me too.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

Pustulio posted:

Yeah me too.

Your mekanism pistol and frag pistol are in your hands before you're even conscious of it.

You find yourself in Throughspace, looking in on the moment from outside. The Orthemka flickers between realities, and you are there for both.

Your one arm reaches into reality; bullets spray from your mekanism pistol, THIP-IP-IP! and the Orthemka dances with the impacts.

At the same time, you blast your frag pistol in the other reality.

You watch with satisfaction as the sphere of colorful energy deletes a large circular section of the Orthemka, which collapses into a pile with Adanios on top.

"Aaaaaaagh! My rear end!" cries out Adanios.

The Constructor in your brain alerts you: I believe Zisost is trying to put a phaselock on you.

A what?

Too late.

The phaselock has a one-in-three chance of hitting you, since you are vascillating between two realities and Throughspace. If struck by the phaselock, you will be unable to phase until the lock is disabled.

>Phaselock Attempt [Hits on 4 and 6]: 1d6 6

Something strikes you and clamps into your skin. The multiple realities you inhabit collapse into one and you slam into the floor, disoriented by the converging points of view.

"Thox!" you cry out.

Tsshst fires off Jecta towards Zisost, who laughs as he phases and the Jecta passes through where he stood.

"All your little tricks!" cackles Zisost, invisible except for the faint glimmer only you can see. "And you can't even stay off the ground!"

Baradas runs to your side, and places her hands on the device... her eyes roll back in her head and her fingers shake as she tries to deactivate the mekanism.

Zosist attack: (odds hit even-numbered dodge and vice versa)
>Energy Weapon [ODDS vs EVENS]: 1d6 2
Baradas dodge: (odds dodge even-numbered attack and vice versa)
>Dodge [ODDS vs EVENS]: 1d6 5

Suddenly, she's thrown several spans away from you by a surge of crackling energy. You turn and fire your weapon at the briefly-appearing Zosist, THIP-IP-IP! and so does Tsshst, but the bastard is quick on his teleport device.

As if summoned, two more iO Shiamara appear at the door to the corridor, and spray Jecta wildly as you all hit the ground and scramble for cover. You and Eye Guy are behind some curved structural element, taking shelter, when suddenly he pops his head up.

"What are you doing, Eye Guy?" you hiss.

"You'll see," he replies. He focuses his gaze on one of the iO Shiamara guardsmen. The iO Shiamara sees him, and points his weapon at Eye Guy, only to stop suddenly. Eye Guy makes a gesture towards him, and the guard shakes his head, as if trying to fight an unpleasant thought.

"What'd you stop shooting for, Ronalee?" shouts the black-haired iO Shiamara. Ronalee looks like he's not sure why he stopped, but he's also not sure why he started. He's not sure why he's doing any of this.

"Ronalee! Get your head out of your gomda and attack!" curses the guard. Ronalee raises his Jecta pistol and fires several rounds into his fellow guard's torso, who drops dead immediately.

"What just happened?" you ask, shocked.

"Told you I had a special power." grins Eye Guy. "Weaponized suggestion. Welcome to the good team, Ronalee!"

Ronalee comes towards you. "I feel as though I've just figured out everyth-"

Zosist attack: (odds hit even-numbered dodge and vice versa)
>Energy Weapon [ODDS vs EVENS]: 1d6 3
Ronalee dodge: (odds hit even-numbered dodge and vice versa)
>Dodge [ODDS vs EVENS]: 1d6 3

An energy weapon blast surges from behind Ronalee, and he throws himself out of harm's way. You take the opportunity to fire your mekanism gun at the temporarily-visible Zosist. THIP-IP-IP!

Your attack: (odds hit even-numbered dodge and vice versa)
>Jecta attack [ODDS vs EVENS]: 1d6 5
Tsshst attack: (odds hit even-numbered dodge and vice versa)
>Jecta attack [ODDS vs EVENS]: 1d6 2
Zosist dodge: (odds hit even-numbered dodge and vice versa)
>Dodge [ODDS vs EVENS]: 1d6 6

Zosist cries out in anger and pain; your attack strikes him before he can phase or teleport away. He fires off one more pot-shot, but he's rattled; he misses widely and teleports away.

"Why won't that freaky bastard die?" you snarl.

Eye Guy gestures to Ronalee. "Get that phaselock off of him."

Ronalee fires a round of Jecta into the phaselock, blasting it to bits.

"If he does that poo poo to me again..." you say, rubbing the skin where the device held on. Trickles of blood smear your hand. "Pain in the rear end!"

Adanios kneels next to Baradas, frantically checking her over.

"Is she alive?" you ask.

"Just barely." replies Adanios, distraught. "I have to find something to help her!"

Thanks to Tunicate!

He removes his book of cards and begins whipping through it.

You're not sure what to do for her. "Well, um, keep me updated on her condition. I'm going to figure out how to release everyone from the pods."

Adanios does not answer, but keeps looking through his cards, trembling with emotion.

poo poo. Baradas would have been very useful for figuring out how these pods work, and now she's hanging on for dear life.

"Tsshst, do you know anything about these pods?" you ask.

"I know they hold people... I don't know what it does to them, though." she answers.

"Do you know how to get someone out?"

She shrugs. "I guess we could try cutting the power..?"

Eye Guy speaks up: "I wonder if powering them down might 'power down' the people inside. What if we were to pry them open, try to remove them manually?"

"What if there's defence mekanisms or failsafes?" asks Tsshst. "What if tampering kills them?"

"You, Ronalee. Any advice?" you ask.

Ronalee looks at you, eyes wide. "I'm just a guard. I don't know anything but how to use the teleporter depot and a Jecta gun. But I'm willing to bet that any tampering that's detected would cause the pods to react- whether that means killing them or not, I have no way of knowing."

Eye Guy sighs. "Wouldn't cutting the power be tampering, as well?"

Nobody has an answer to that.

"To Squiv with this, I have to try something!" you say.

1.) Cut the power.
2.) Try prying open the pods.
3.) Write in:

Inventory
Characters
Map

[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 20, 2019