Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

I thought this was going to be Auralnauts-style shenanigans

This is a real thing?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Yes
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
dang yall can talk a lot about nothing

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Krankenstyle posted:

dang yall can talk a lot about nothing

That's the definition of a thread for discussing trailers

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I really want to know who, exactly, was clamoring for a Lady and the Tramp remake.

I saw a post somewhere the other day which was wondering if part of the reason for all these "live action" remakes was a way for Disney to renew their copyrights over their older stuff

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

There is no action that Disney takes that isn't meant to gently caress around with copyright law in their favor.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Spikeguy posted:

I'm getting the feeling that perhaps the legend of Skywalker is going to become synonymous with Jedi and possibly replace the name. I'm all for more of Rey kicking rear end.

I hope it's either that, or Luke's ghost/Leia at one point tells her she's a Skywalker, but means it in the sense that they consider her part of their family now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gnome de plume posted:

I thought this was going to be Auralnauts-style shenanigans

This is a real thing?

Yes, it also features a rendition of Blitzkrieg Bop. And nothing else. They had a bad idea and they couldn't even commit to it.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

davidspackage posted:

I hope it's either that, or Luke's ghost/Leia at one point tells her she's a Skywalker, but means it in the sense that they consider her part of their family now.

I'm half expecting a counterspell from JJ cancelling out Kylo Ren's story about her parents being nobodies. Some bad guy saying "is that what he told you? No, I am your parents!" Because, you know, no originality.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I saw a post somewhere the other day which was wondering if part of the reason for all these "live action" remakes was a way for Disney to renew their copyrights over their older stuff

Copryight protects specific works only, you can't "update" it by releasing a newer version. Elements unique to the new live-action Dumbo would be protected, but the original film will still enter public domain in 2036. It's similar to how Frankenstein the book is no longer protected and can thus be adapted by anyone, but if you were to make a monster that looks like the Karloff one, you'd infringe on Universal's rights.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

davidspackage posted:

I'm wondering, not just because of the title but after watching TLJ again, if Luke will appear to Ren and bring Anakin with him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

I'm wondering, not just because of the title but after watching TLJ again, if Luke will appear to Ren and bring Anakin with him.

Near the end of the film, Ren will just be surrounded by force ghosts.

"Alright now listen up because your old uncle Qui-gonn also wants to tell you what a dick you're being."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

Ehh, I wanted to really like Valerian, but DeHaan and Delevinge ruined it for me. Pratt and Lawrence fit those character tropes better imo.

Whatever you think of DeHaan and Delevinge (they were perfectly cast, btw), the lethal combo of Pratt and Lawrence would have poo poo all over a perfectly good movie.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wondering? It's blatantly what they're doing. 100% of their business is milking copyrights for all they're worth, you can see this especially in the way their tentpole business is set up on a schedule to just have a big hit every quarter like clockwork.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

davidspackage posted:

Near the end of the film, Ren will just be surrounded by force ghosts.

"Alright now listen up because your old uncle Qui-gonn also wants to tell you what a dick you're being."

Hm, not sure if they're going to have Liam Neeson appear.

"After Darth Maul killed me I went out for a walk in Force Heaven looking for anyone with red skin that I could beat the hell out of."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wondering? It's blatantly what they're doing. 100% of their business is milking copyrights for all they're worth, you can see this especially in the way their tentpole business is set up on a schedule to just have a big hit every quarter like clockwork.

Yeah but that doesn't have anything to do with renewing copyright. They're just trying to keep the IP "fresh" for the new generation—a remake doesn't affect the copyright status of the original.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah but that doesn't have anything to do with renewing copyright. They're just trying to keep the IP "fresh" for the new generation—a remake doesn't affect the copyright status of the original.

Part of the premise of intellectual property is keeping it out of the public domain. True enough that it's not renewing the copyright but asserting ownership is what's important, especially because of the dubious "ownership" of centuries old fables and fairy tales.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Whatever you think of DeHaan and Delevinge (they were perfectly cast, btw), the lethal combo of Pratt and Lawrence would have poo poo all over a perfectly good movie.

I'm not familiar with the source material for Valerian, so maybe you're right. I wasn't convinced that either of them were a good choice for the kind of characters they were playing in the movie, and that caused me to check out after the first action scene involving them. Just didn't feel right to me :shrug:

DeHaan and Delevinge in Passengers would have been way better though, easily. Script would still need some work, but same thing applied in that movie for me: Pratt and Lawrence just didn't feel right in those roles.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I liked that they got a creepy weird looking dude to play the space action man. I also just like DeHaan in general and find Chris Pratt to be off-putting in basically everything outside of Parks & Rec. Actually, a fair amount of Parks & Rec too now that I'm thinking about it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I like DeHaan too. I just didn't like him as action man in space.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm just waiting for Pratt to star in a movie about a man who builds an FTL spaceship to find Jesus.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Part of the premise of intellectual property is keeping it out of the public domain. True enough that it's not renewing the copyright but asserting ownership is what's important, especially because of the dubious "ownership" of centuries old fables and fairy tales.

Also in producing versions that become so overwhelmingly popular that they sit atop the throne of public consciousness as the "definitive" or "timelessly classic" versions and make it harder for others to compete with anything based on the public domain original. And you can rest assured that if Mickey ever does enter the public domain it will only be as the precise depiction from "Steamboat Willie", and Disney's lawyers will be watching any independent productions like a murder of ravenous crows for the slightest sign of creative license exercised beyond that singular source. Same with WB and Superman vis-a-vis Action Comics #1.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

McSpanky posted:

Also in producing versions that become so overwhelmingly popular that they sit atop the throne of public consciousness as the "definitive" or "timelessly classic" versions and make it harder for others to compete with anything based on the public domain original. And you can rest assured that if Mickey ever does enter the public domain it will only be as the precise depiction from "Steamboat Willie", and Disney's lawyers will be watching any independent productions like a murder of ravenous crows for the slightest sign of creative license exercised beyond that singular source. Same with WB and Superman vis-a-vis Action Comics #1.

So doesn't that mean that Steamboat Willie's PD debut + 20 years mean that the classic version of Mickey will be in the Public Domain?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's up for PD sometime in the next couple years, yeah. It's very likely that it'll actually get PD status at this point because Disney didn't lobby for another extension last year, so a bunch of works just entered the public domain for the first time in decades. Nothing will change though because they still have all the trademarks which means it'll be so difficult to legally make money off of it that you might as well just make a bootleg.

But if any of us were smart we'd be writing a Great Gatsby sequel right about now—that's up in 2020.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

McSpanky posted:

And you can rest assured that if Mickey ever does enter the public domain it will only be as the precise depiction from "Steamboat Willie", and Disney's lawyers will be watching any independent productions like a murder of ravenous crows for the slightest sign of creative license exercised beyond that singular source. Same with WB and Superman vis-a-vis Action Comics #1.

I feel like this is both accurate, and not as big of an issue as you'd think. You can actually make a timeline of when different elements of an "ongoing" IP like that will become public domain. (This is, of course, assuming the strictest possible interpretations, as Disney likely will.)

Mickey Mouse, for example:

2023 - original design Mickey (without gloves and with dot eyes); black-and-white Minnie and Pete; unnamed black-and-white Clarabelle Cow

2024 - Mickey's gloves, eyes, voice, theme music ("Minnie's Yoo Hoo"); Horace Horsecollar

2025 - Minnie's voice; Clarabelle Cow's name; B&W Pluto (unnamed, prototype design)

2026 - B&W Pluto (named, recognizable design)

2027 - B&W Goofy (unnamed, "Dippy Dawg" design)

2029 - B&W Donald Duck, Goofy (named, recognizable design), Clara Cluck

2030 - classic color designs for all of the above characters

Basically anyone who wants to gently caress with Mickey Mouse stuff just has to wait 7 more years past Steamboat Willie entering the public domain, and then they'll have more or less the whole toybox to play with, as long as they're willing to stick to "classic" depictions of the character and not modern ones (for example, if you have Mickey as a fantasy king who fights battles with a big key-shaped sword, the lawyers will probably hurt you).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like this is both accurate, and not as big of an issue as you'd think. You can actually make a timeline of when different elements of an "ongoing" IP like that will become public domain. (This is, of course, assuming the strictest possible interpretations, as Disney likely will.)

Mickey Mouse, for example:

2023 - original design Mickey (without gloves and with dot eyes); black-and-white Minnie and Pete; unnamed black-and-white Clarabelle Cow

2024 - Mickey's gloves, eyes, voice, theme music ("Minnie's Yoo Hoo"); Horace Horsecollar

2025 - Minnie's voice; Clarabelle Cow's name; B&W Pluto (unnamed, prototype design)

2026 - B&W Pluto (named, recognizable design)

2027 - B&W Goofy (unnamed, "Dippy Dawg" design)

2029 - B&W Donald Duck, Goofy (named, recognizable design), Clara Cluck

2030 - classic color designs for all of the above characters

Basically anyone who wants to gently caress with Mickey Mouse stuff just has to wait 7 more years past Steamboat Willie entering the public domain, and then they'll have more or less the whole toybox to play with, as long as they're willing to stick to "classic" depictions of the character and not modern ones (for example, if you have Mickey as a fantasy king who fights battles with a big key-shaped sword, the lawyers will probably hurt you).

for a current example of this, look at the ongoing copyright war between the various factions who want to own the rights to Friday the 13th. The guy who wrote the first movie owns the rights to the name and Jason Voorhees as he is in that movie, but the Jason we're all familiar with originated in a different movie, and as it turns out, the people who created that one are a bunch of dicks.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 14, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Well holy poo poo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR6dfqUpADw

It won't be as great as we all think it could have been, but I will be watching it as soon as I can.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

for a current example of this, look at the ongoing copyright war between the various factions who want to own the rights to Friday the 13th. The guy who wrote the first movie owns the rights to the name and Jason Voorhees as he is in that movie, but the Jason we're all familiar with originated in a different movie, and as it turns out, the people who created that one are a bunch of dicks.

uhhhhh

no, they actually have a perfectly valid argument, that guy didn't actually create anything about Jason beyond the name and the vague idea of him being a deformed drowned kid. everything we "know" about Jason comes from stuff Horror, Inc. has the rights to legitimately.

he basically wrote one draft of the original and is now deciding that that entitles him to the rest of the series, and they're pretty well justified in telling him to eat poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Jason case killed the f13 game and it makes me sad

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC there's also some contention as to how much of that original script he even came up with and how much of it was dictated by a producer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If anything, the rights to Friday the 13th should belong to Mario Bava for making A Bay of Blood. :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there's also some contention as to how much of that original script he even came up with and how much of it was dictated by a producer.

afaik it's only confirmed that he wrote a single draft that may or may not have been used as a direct basis for the shooting script (with signs pointing to "kinda-sorta"), and... like...

yeah, he did come up with the idea of Jason being Pamela Voorhees' son who drowned

but literally everything else about the character, up to and including Jason actually being alive and coming back to kill people, is not from his brain and is from stuff Horror, Inc legit has. Jason Voorhees as a character belongs maybe 5% to this guy, being extremely charitable.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
New Netflix horror: The Perfection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57D6kF5B1k

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Fat Russell Crowe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKKnktgx6Pc

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Playmovil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgyP9GG9Ecw

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That looks terrible.

Leaving aside Playmobil is not as ubiquitous as Lego, it's like they looked at everything that made the Lego movies work and then did the exact opposite.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

One final trailer for Dark Phoenix, the last Xman movie in the Fox Universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azvR__GRQic

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Chucky trailer is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ABetf4oVao

While we only here two words, Hamil sounds great as Chucky. Looks like it is going to be gory too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like hanging out with The Family thought these guys a thing or two. Namely about family and also NOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7PAyCDwEg

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Chucky trailer is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ABetf4oVao

While we only here two words, Hamil sounds great as Chucky. Looks like it is going to be gory too.

lol this looks so stupid

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Looks like hanging out with The Family thought these guys a thing or two. Namely about family and also NOS.

Yep. Gonna see this. It looks like the perfect :munch: movie for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The MSJ posted:

This looks great, and I know plot doesn't matter for a movie like this, but holy poo poo this trailer shows the whole movie beat for beat.

Still gonna see it, looks like tons of fun.