Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

A Fancy Hat posted:

It is. A coworker took me there once for lunch and told me "Just wait for noon". At noon everybody stood up and sang the national anthem. It was insane. A bunch of guys kept looking around like they were just WAITING for someone to not stand up and offend them. There's also poo poo all over the walls about backing the blue, supporting are troops, etc. It crosses over into parody territory, like I would create this place if I was a rich rear end in a top hat who wanted to milk conservatives out of their money.

Food was okay for a BBQ chain, that's the most generous way to describe it. Super salty, meat was pretty dry, and everything was too overpriced to excuse those issues.

I live in Pittsburgh and even we have better local BBQ than this, so I can't even imagine visiting this place if you lived down south.

And if you need a laugh look at the yelp reviews for your local Mission BBQ. Lots of 5 star reviews that boil down to "FOOD WAS FINE - BUT THEY BACK THE BLUE" or "WAITER FORGOT HALF MY PLATE, BUT SALUTED THE FLAG"

Also, Mission BBQ does not offer a military discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uncle Enzo posted:

Standing for the flag is all the discount you need :clint:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Freedom is the only discount you need.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Panfilo posted:

Just kids that are playing outside, thirsty and too lazy/not allowed to go inside to get water.

It just spins back to lazy parenting, where instead of actually interacting with their children they just banish their children outside during the 15 hours of daylight so they don't have to deal with them. While I understand that parents need a break sometimes, when you define your parenting by how little you actually interact with your children it doesn't really sound like actually doing something proactive with them.

I don't know, I grew up in a time where this was normal and I actually do think it helped me grow a lot. Either my friends and I had fun exploring or playing games, or I got to go off by myself and learned a lot of confidence that way. I'm not sayi g it didn't lead to a lot of stitches and broken bones, though. And we didn't hesitate to steal water from any body's front hose, that's for sure.

I once got DFACS called on my for letting my 3 kids play in the 6"deep stream that runs through my property while not directly in my line of sight. They did have a walkie talkie though. That was some bullshit. At least the lady from DFACS shut the case and told me I have rear end in a top hat neighbors.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Dregs posted:

I don't know, I grew up in a time where this was normal and I actually do think it helped me grow a lot. Either my friends and I had fun exploring or playing games, or I got to go off by myself and learned a lot of confidence that way. I'm not sayi g it didn't lead to a lot of stitches and broken bones, though. And we didn't hesitate to steal water from any body's front hose, that's for sure.

I once got DFACS called on my for letting my 3 kids play in the 6"deep stream that runs through my property while not directly in my line of sight. They did have a walkie talkie though. That was some bullshit. At least the lady from DFACS shut the case and told me I have rear end in a top hat neighbors.

In this day and age, thing like stitches and broken bones cost some families thousands of dollars in medical bills. It's hard to let your kids run free when every minor tripping hazard might send you to the poor house.

That being said, kids do need to roam around and be on their own. It's just possible to do it safer in today's world.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
When I was a kid I spent a few years getting looked after by a woman who watched a bunch of kids at her house; we had good relationships with other kids in the neighborhood, so we were always meandering around between residences. One time this lady approached our horde and asked where our parents were and I was like "uh, at home, duh" and she was like "well I'm going to need to know where that is so I can bring you there and have a word because it is not okay for you to be outside without parents." I had just learned the term 'gently caress you' that very week and readily seized my first opportunity to deploy it. Then she got really indignant and we just ran. Anyway that's my story about playing outside and also one Boomer in particular.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Complaining about kids not doing things exactly the same way they remember doing things as kids, because they took away every opportunity to actually do those things.

Or basically just;

ProperGanderPusher posted:

“We used to go OUTSIDE to play rather than sitting around playing on our electric doohickeys! Today’s kids are too lazy and coddled!”

*raises family in a gated community with no parks nearby*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Boomers don't really remember why they could just spend all day wandering a mile down to the creek playing with friends when they were 8: White flight.

When boomers were kids, their parents moved out of the cities, and into housing developments in the suburbs, two things that were new at the time. Everyone else on the street was a young family with kids, so there was always a horde of children around. A quarter mile away the housing development ended and there were the woods you played in, a half mile in the other direction was the local general store. It's definitely a rose colored vision of what childhood should be like.

Fast forward to 1989 when my parents moved into one of those housing developments. That area kept expanding, so those empty lots where the boomers played in the woods are now more houses. Most of the residents stayed around, and are now in their 60's. Of course a few of them moved out over the decades, as I do remember some teenagers, who would have no interest in hanging out with 8 year old me. There were 3 other kids that were my age, and none of us got along.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Serial Killing, destroying the pla....

Motherfucker posted:

Destroying the earth

oh.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

Boomers don't really remember why they could just spend all day wandering a mile down to the creek playing with friends when they were 8: White flight.

When boomers were kids, their parents moved out of the cities, and into housing developments in the suburbs, two things that were new at the time. Everyone else on the street was a young family with kids, so there was always a horde of children around. A quarter mile away the housing development ended and there were the woods you played in, a half mile in the other direction was the local general store. It's definitely a rose colored vision of what childhood should be like.

Fast forward to 1989 when my parents moved into one of those housing developments. That area kept expanding, so those empty lots where the boomers played in the woods are now more houses. Most of the residents stayed around, and are now in their 60's. Of course a few of them moved out over the decades, as I do remember some teenagers, who would have no interest in hanging out with 8 year old me. There were 3 other kids that were my age, and none of us got along.

I hear a lot of poo poo about how Kids These Days don't go outside. My neighbors kids must be the exception because they spend the entire summer hanging around outside screaming at the top of their lungs for six to ten hours a day.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Subscribed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CPL593H posted:

I hear a lot of poo poo about how Kids These Days don't go outside. My neighbors kids must be the exception because they spend the entire summer hanging around outside screaming at the top of their lungs for six to ten hours a day.

I see that poo poo too. I take my dog to the dog park which is next to a playground and the kids just scream constantly. On two sides of the playground are apartment buildings, those residents' lives must be hell during the summer.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah that's a piece of it. Suburbia and suburbia culture is kinda a nasty thing on many levels. but i would also say it was a parenting thing, boomers, especially suburbia parents, seemed an order of magnitude more helicoptering and overprotective than their parents, and probably evenmore determined to make sure their kids had all paths to success and managing it intensely. maybe another reason was the much more in your face moral panics (which were nothing new tho, see moral panic over elvis and beatles or w/e) and child endangerment and poo poo, idk.

But yeah i grew up in an late 80s newly built "starter house" tracthouse in a relatively newly populated surburbia town located outside a more major one. Pretty much typical cul-de-sacs, 1-2 story houses with relatively small plots, and all the streets named "green dale / wild oakss / daybrook / pleasant st / happy valley / sunshine lane / etc". As a kid we played in the street with some other neighboring kids of similar families with super soakers and poo poo like that, mostly under the watchful eye of parents. We had a kinda lovely park and some greenery with a creek that was fenced off but you could jump. Pretty much everyone grew up in a weird malaise and most kids in the area/school were into video games or something because what else was there? By the time i was even a pre or early-teen and, all the other families in the nearby neighborhood had had moved out leaving pretty much just us and retired or nearly-retired oldes or really young families that were like 1-3. You couldn't really walk to a friends house and required parents to be involved, so get togethers were a bit less and mostly chatting online and things like that.

When we were in highschool, the only thing to do was just smoke weed/drugs/alcohol and walk/skateboard around at 2am stoned sailing under the creepily-silent night while awash in the depressing orange glow of sodium-vapor streetlights, getting lost in the asphalt labyrinth intersections of all-look-the same streets of greendale meets happy creek rd -- at least you finally were free from under the-ever present watchful eye

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 20, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

- Owning a couple of large dogs that they never walk and never play with
- Complaining about kids not getting to play outside anymore
- Complaining about kids loitering on the streets

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Cuckoldry.

Buying the exact same weed strain over and over.

6-disc CD changer am/fm radio speaker systems in the kitchen that glitch out during every holiday meal.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 20, 2019

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Continuing to unconditionally love their children even as they rightly get the :sever: treatment for their lovely bad-faith political views.

:(

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
I just got on a train that was balls to walls full of Boomers so apparently Tennis watching.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boomers love sitting in traffic

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

shut up netface posted:

I’m gonna get real with you, kinda woke up and posted that at 5 am working a job I am really... just not feeling right now, and I would love to work an office job at the moment.

I know they’re soul crushing and dull, but I’d appreciate it now, at least for the structure.

These days you just surf the net at the office. Even back when Gen Xers were complaining about office jobs being soul crushing you could write the Great American Novel on the back of post-its and smuggle it home.

Every Gen X movie about being trapped at work or not selling out feels like it was written by someone who never had to struggle financially. Meanwhile, the generations that came after them want to die because life isn't worth living when you're poor and the only way out is to sell out and it's never been easier to sell out if you can get a good following. Then you just cash in your credibility to shill online gambling to children and still retain most of your userbase because the people getting mad aren't the ones following you. If only I was popular enough to get sponsored.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Boomers love to watch Fragmaster play poker tournaments online

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Concubines

Hoarding their supply of AquaCola

Kamikrazy War Boys

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Uncle Enzo posted:

Ok god drat that's loving hilarious.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Selfishness

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Signs my dad has:

We don't call 911 (printed on a wooden gun)
If you can read this you're in range.
Do to ammo price increases there will be no warning shots.
Nothing in here is worth your life (on a wooden gun cut out of course)

At least a couple more I don't remember.

Boomers love telling you about their guns!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The military (applies only to the ones that dogged the draft; the ones who actually served excluded)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Michael Corleone posted:

Signs my dad has:

We don't call 911 (printed on a wooden gun)
If you can read this you're in range.
Do to ammo price increases there will be no warning shots.
Nothing in here is worth your life (on a wooden gun cut out of course)

At least a couple more I don't remember.

Boomers love telling you about their guns!

Guns are clearly worth stealing though

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
John Wayne

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
John Wayne Gayce

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

"You're 23 years old! Why don't you have a job? You gotta pound the pavement, not use a computer." This was just after the 2008 meltdown.

"You're over 30? Why don't you even have a girlfriend?" Then they try to give me hilariously outdated advice. Not nearly as often as the job thing, but it's happened.

Same with owning a house, and why it's a "good investment." Again, I work with money and read about finance. The Canadian real estate industry is hosed for now.

Are you me?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Xaris posted:

Yeah that's a piece of it. Suburbia and suburbia culture is kinda a nasty thing on many levels. but i would also say it was a parenting thing, boomers, especially suburbia parents, seemed an order of magnitude more helicoptering and overprotective than their parents, and probably evenmore determined to make sure their kids had all paths to success and managing it intensely. maybe another reason was the much more in your face moral panics (which were nothing new tho, see moral panic over elvis and beatles or w/e) and child endangerment and poo poo, idk.

But yeah i grew up in an late 80s newly built "starter house" tracthouse in a relatively newly populated surburbia town located outside a more major one. Pretty much typical cul-de-sacs, 1-2 story houses with relatively small plots, and all the streets named "green dale / wild oakss / daybrook / pleasant st / happy valley / sunshine lane / etc". As a kid we played in the street with some other neighboring kids of similar families with super soakers and poo poo like that, mostly under the watchful eye of parents. We had a kinda lovely park and some greenery with a creek that was fenced off but you could jump. Pretty much everyone grew up in a weird malaise and most kids in the area/school were into video games or something because what else was there? By the time i was even a pre or early-teen and, all the other families in the nearby neighborhood had had moved out leaving pretty much just us and retired or nearly-retired oldes or really young families that were like 1-3. You couldn't really walk to a friends house and required parents to be involved, so get togethers were a bit less and mostly chatting online and things like that.

When we were in highschool, the only thing to do was just smoke weed/drugs/alcohol and walk/skateboard around at 2am stoned sailing under the creepily-silent night while awash in the depressing orange glow of sodium-vapor streetlights, getting lost in the asphalt labyrinth intersections of all-look-the same streets of greendale meets happy creek rd -- at least you finally were free from under the-ever present watchful eye

Sorry about your depression. Hanging out with friends, playing video games, going to movies and diner as a teenager was pretty fun.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

poisonpill posted:

The military (applies only to the ones that dogged the draft; the ones who actually served excluded)

My parents retired to Redding, CA which is where most of my moms side of the family lives. The sign when you drive in says something like WELCOME TO REDDING WE LOVE OUR VETERANS

Whole family instantly loved my girlfriend, now wife, when I brought her up because she was a vet (medic in Illinois national guard, never deployed) and fawned all over it.

When I was graduating highschool and mentioned that I was going out to talk to a recruiter for military my mom had a complete meltdown of screaming and crying, only time I had ever seen her like that about how they gave me everything and I'm just going to throw it all away to go get blown up in some desert.

My parents were both staunch Bush supporters and believed in both wars.

I love them very much but I will always think of them and that day as peak boomer

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

"I'm not racist, but..."

*goes on to say incredibly vile and hostile racist comment*

"No offense."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nooner posted:

My parents retired to Redding, CA which is where most of my moms side of the family lives. The sign when you drive in says something like WELCOME TO REDDING WE LOVE OUR VETERANS

Whole family instantly loved my girlfriend, now wife, when I brought her up because she was a vet (medic in Illinois national guard, never deployed) and fawned all over it.

When I was graduating highschool and mentioned that I was going out to talk to a recruiter for military my mom had a complete meltdown of screaming and crying, only time I had ever seen her like that about how they gave me everything and I'm just going to throw it all away to go get blown up in some desert.

I love them very much but I will always think of them and that day as peak boomer

:same:

My parents fawn over the military but when I told them I wanted to join it was like the end of the world. My mom wanted to disown me over it at first. Then once I was in and they realized that actually most military service is actually just sitting around being useless and not "were all dying in a desert send halp" they were fine with it.

It's a combination of never questioning societal views (the military is all great heroes sacrificing every day!) with a weird selfishness (I love the military but it should be other kids going to war not mine) that's a trademark of the boomers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nooner posted:

Chomp8645 posted:

:same:

My parents fawn over the military but when I told them I wanted to join it was like the end of the world. My mom wanted to disown me over it at first. Then once I was in and they realized that actually most military service is actually just sitting around being useless and not "were all dying in a desert send halp" they were fine with it.

It's a combination of never questioning societal views (the military is all great heroes sacrificing every day!) with a weird selfishness (I love the military but it should be other kids going to war not mine) that's a trademark of the boomers.

lmao this is loving spot on. when my selective service registration came in the mid 00s, they hid it from me and didnt want me to register because they were afraid of the draft sending me to iraq. despite loving loving n voting twice for bush, ARE TROOPS, love bombing brown children, trump, etc. which later hosed me up on some FAFSA poo poo, thanks!!!

i also remember that vividly and it's totally loving peak boomber.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nooner posted:

This is my wife's parents, Republican, white evangelicals, dad's a small business owner... all of it. loving stereotypes. Couldn't lick the troops boots enough, supported George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin shooting, the whole-nine-yards.

Well, the joke was on them when my wife's youngest sister went and joined the air force after graduating college with a 4-year business degree. She initially enrolled in an MBA program, went for like 2 weeks, and then said, "gently caress this, I want to do something IMPORTANT." Poor girl believed all the poo poo her parents and church and the Right-Wing movement filled her head with. Her mother loving cried.

So she went for a while, never left the states, and they came around. Started talking about how "proud" they were of her, and putting bumper stickers on their car about it. In the Air Force she met a guy who became her boyfriend and fulfilled the right wing checklist. She assumed they'd get married, so they basically each got an apartment in the same building so they could cohabitate and sleepover with plausible deniability. Low-and-behold, when the dude was deployed to another base, he didn't want to do long distance and broke up with her.

From that point she spiraled - threats to kill herself, went full-blown anorexic, multiple hospitalizations that lasted moths at a time. Came out and said her father molested her when she was 12... which he also did to two of his younger sisters when they were growing up and they were around the same age (apparently this was known to his immediate family and swept under the rug, but my wife and her sisters had no idea).

She lived with us for a while, but then decided one day to go live with her parents (dad denies molesting her, mom says it isn't true. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but the thing with his sisters makes me think it's true).

TLDR - boomers love:

-Supporting illegal wars
-Other peoples' kids joining the military to fight those wars
-Their kids NOT joining the military
-Molesting their younger sisters and daughters

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LabyaMynora posted:

TLDR - boomers love:

-Supporting illegal wars

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ikanreed posted:

Guns are clearly worth stealing though

:lol: yeah, I like to say that if I owned a gun it would be the only thing worth stealing

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

LabyaMynora posted:

This is my wife's parents, Republican, white evangelicals, dad's a small business owner... all of it. loving stereotypes. Couldn't lick the troops boots enough, supported George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin shooting, the whole-nine-yards.

Well, the joke was on them when my wife's youngest sister went and joined the air force after graduating college with a 4-year business degree. She initially enrolled in an MBA program, went for like 2 weeks, and then said, "gently caress this, I want to do something IMPORTANT." Poor girl believed all the poo poo her parents and church and the Right-Wing movement filled her head with. Her mother loving cried.

So she went for a while, never left the states, and they came around. Started talking about how "proud" they were of her, and putting bumper stickers on their car about it. In the Air Force she met a guy who became her boyfriend and fulfilled the right wing checklist. She assumed they'd get married, so they basically each got an apartment in the same building so they could cohabitate and sleepover with plausible deniability. Low-and-behold, when the dude was deployed to another base, he didn't want to do long distance and broke up with her.

From that point she spiraled - threats to kill herself, went full-blown anorexic, multiple hospitalizations that lasted moths at a time. Came out and said her father molested her when she was 12... which he also did to two of his younger sisters when they were growing up and they were around the same age (apparently this was known to his immediate family and swept under the rug, but my wife and her sisters had no idea).

She lived with us for a while, but then decided one day to go live with her parents (dad denies molesting her, mom says it isn't true. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but the thing with his sisters makes me think it's true).

TLDR - boomers love:

-Supporting illegal wars

all wars should be illegal.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Rad-daddio posted:

all wars should be illegal.

I’d like to keep Class War open as an option though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The most extreme example that I can think of was when a friend of my mother's found an escaped elephant in their garden, the elephant used to be part of a circus until the practice of using animals in circuses became illegal, and was mostly kept as a kind of pet by the person who used to do tricks with him in the zoo, with a special permit. The elephant had wandered off as it was taken on a walk.

Instead of taking this incredible opportunity to go outside and give it some fruit or nuts or something and interact with a real life loving elephant, the guy calls the police to ask them to shoot it (they didn't, the owner showed up and took it back).