Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dang that Prado is a cream puff! I was still just shocked at how well the shifter and clutch was of my boss's HJ61 was. I see these cool imports and I have a little twinge of pain that I didn't do the deed, but I am happy with my 100 series I have bought and I am getting my BFGs installed in my TRD wheels. I will get them installed after I have the alignment done, which will be dropped off today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I figured this might be the thread to ask. I'm in PA and importing a car from Canada. The price I'm paying (which will be on the BOS) is going to be higher than the traditional "fair market price." Is there any way to get taxed on the fair market price?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

I figured this might be the thread to ask. I'm in PA and importing a car from Canada. The price I'm paying (which will be on the BOS) is going to be higher than the traditional "fair market price." Is there any way to get taxed on the fair market price?

FWIW, I think Jymmybob has done that import process for his 996 TT and mentioned some of it the Porsche thread.

Riller posted:

Those wheels! :drat:

How solid are those wheel covers? They look really nice in the pictures.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Lost this last night by a measly 9k yen. Boo. Could not find another to base my bid on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Kaker, what engine is in that beauty of a Prado?

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

everdave posted:

Lost this last night by a measly 9k yen. Boo. Could not find another to base my bid on.

What is this? I think I passed one around town a few weeks back. Same color, too.
Didn't get a chance to stop and look at it, though.

Looks kind of like a Minica, but not.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Beanzor posted:

What is this? I think I passed one around town a few weeks back. Same color, too.
Didn't get a chance to stop and look at it, though.

Looks kind of like a Minica, but not.

Listed as a Mazda "G Special". JCD has never seen one nor have I. Could not find one googling last night.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kimbo305 posted:

FWIW, I think Jymmybob has done that import process for his 996 TT and mentioned some of it the Porsche thread.

How solid are those wheel covers? They look really nice in the pictures.

Super solid, have some scratches on them I'm debating on attempting to fix. Would have to sand, fill, sand again, and repaint. The repainting is only going to be difficult because of the inlay black portion. You can see it's made out of that beige translucent plastic stuff.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Kaker, what engine is in that beauty of a Prado?

2.4 2L-TE turbo diesel, the engine that everyone in Australia is convinced will explode with a billion suns at all times, forever. From the research I've done it seems like the engine itself is more susceptible to blowing its headgasket than a typical Toyota engine, especially when it's in the outback running full-bore. Since an automatic would be tied into the cooling system those are the ones that seem to pop more often. Combine all of that together and it has that reputation though you do have to go looking for it, it wasn't something I could find without looking for it on message boards or being informed by people here. Seems like in Japan it doesn't have that reputation. The other Prado we had was neglected awfully before we got it the heater core already being bypassed, and that thing was king beast all throughout our driving here in the sweltering Florida summer. Also had the same 2.4 in it.
The ideal Prado would be a 93 or 94, exactly the same (maybe the wide body depending on your style preferences) with the 5 speed and the KZ engine. The KZ is flat-out better than the 2L-TE but would have also added 4 grand on top of the price, and this Prado wasn't cheap to begin with. More difficult to find with 5 speeds the newer you get too.

everdave posted:

Listed as a Mazda "G Special". JCD has never seen one nor have I. Could not find one googling last night.

JCD has seen plenty, I ask Yoshi about them often enough :colbert: Maybe not Mat!
It's a Mazda Carol, second gen post-facelift. I looked at that one too but it didn't have the turbo charged engine so ehhh. Pretty rad and in excellent++ shape. Like all of Mazda's Autozams it's really a Suzuki Alto. They come up infrequently but if you can find a turbo version it's essentially a very inexpensive Alto Works.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I will have to school Mat tonight, got a lot of bids going in

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just won another car...I paid 33k yen ($295), 80k km (50k miles).

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Do HJ75 Cruisers ever come up on these auctions?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

everdave posted:

Is that a Honda City or something? I'd drive it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

That one is an automatic yeah?
Yeah thought I reconized it. Looks real drat nice, and yeah I'm still ultra-curious what a 660 through an automatic is like.

Kastivich posted:

Do HJ75 Cruisers ever come up on these auctions?

Those are the Troopys right? I've seen one, on a lot, in Japan. I don't know if it was never sold in Japan or if the uptake rate was so low, but they seem to be the absolute rarest. So I guess the answer is "No".

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

That one is an automatic yeah?
Yeah thought I reconized it. Looks real drat nice, and yeah I'm still ultra-curious what a 660 through an automatic is like.

Those are the Troopys right? I've seen one, on a lot, in Japan. I don't know if it was never sold in Japan or if the uptake rate was so low, but they seem to be the absolute rarest. So I guess the answer is "No".

Yep auto but one owner and hey $295. Clean as a whistle.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, the Troopy. Seems like most imported come from Australia. They just never look as clean as the stuff you import.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Wow. Just woke up to an email from Mat - that rusty rear end hiace of mine got rated 3.5 by uss Yokohama! Can't wait to see what it brings!

This should also underscore the need for a third party inspection even on vehicles rated highly by the auction house because let's be honest - how the gently caress did that happen? :cool:

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 20, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Wow. Just woke up to an email from Mat - that rusty rear end hiace of mine got rated 3.5 by uss Yokohama! Can't wait to see what it brings!

This should also underscore the need for a third party inspection even on vehicles rated highly by the auction house because let's be honest - how the gently caress did that happen? :cool:

That is terrifying!

FogOgg
Aug 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
That doesn't seem uncommon in my extremely limited experience. I just had Mat give me an auction sheet translation of a Prado last week that was rated 3.5. It was barely running, smoking badly, leaking everywhere, and had a bent core support. He seemed as baffled as I was that the thing was rated 3.5 and not R.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

I'm still ultra-curious what a 660 through an automatic is like.
Not as bad as you might think thanks to how tiny keis are. They still scoot along ok.

Current stuff is mostly CVT, it's basically like driving a 4-wheel twist-and-go scooter. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

That is crazy, I only sort by 3.5 and up cant believe that would fit in

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Haha awesome, take then money and run when it moves!

And get those 3pis before you buy, kids.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Found your van wilfredmerriweathr.

I'm confused on how it can score a 3.5 with C3 all along the bottom. It isn't like they didn't highlight on the sheet where the corrosion IS, but they gave it a 3.5 anyway. :confused:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I have no clue. I also don't understand why it wouldn't say r3 vs c3 but I guess rust is a type of corrosion so...

The port inspection indicated r1, r2 and r3 along the rocker on that side which I would say is more accurate.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

2.4 2L-TE turbo diesel, the engine that everyone in Australia is convinced will explode with a billion suns at all times, forever. From the research I've done it seems like the engine itself is more susceptible to blowing its headgasket than a typical Toyota engine, especially when it's in the outback running full-bore. Since an automatic would be tied into the cooling system those are the ones that seem to pop more often. Combine all of that together and it has that reputation though you do have to go looking for it, it wasn't something I could find without looking for it on message boards or being informed by people here. Seems like in Japan it doesn't have that reputation. The other Prado we had was neglected awfully before we got it the heater core already being bypassed, and that thing was king beast all throughout our driving here in the sweltering Florida summer. Also had the same 2.4 in it.

An interesting thing is that the US got the 2L-T for a few years in the Toyota Pickup, so there are somer service parts available, maybe even at a dealership. Otherwise, I assume its parts off eBay or Amayama?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yeah I have no clue. I also don't understand why it wouldn't say r3 vs c3 but I guess rust is a type of corrosion so...

The port inspection indicated r1, r2 and r3 along the rocker on that side which I would say is more accurate.

Regardless, I hope you sell it and make twice what you were in for.

DJ Commie posted:

An interesting thing is that the US got the 2L-T for a few years in the Toyota Pickup, so there are somer service parts available, maybe even at a dealership. Otherwise, I assume its parts off eBay or Amayama?

I haven't actually looked, but generally what I'll do is figure out what parts I need using partsouq, see if I get any hits in the USA (finding oil filters for diesel Toyota is EZ PZ on US Amazon Prime) then just order it from Japan, usually amayama.com

Speaking of I just put in an order for the most ~bespoke~ part I've ever ordered. The roof of the Domingo has a sliding portion, so you can have an open roof on your driving adventures. Problem is the one on ours is stuck (presumably from not being opened in decades). Moreover the design means that water sits on the movable panel portion and also stays there, as it is surrounded by a rubber seal. That means that the panel itself is corroded a bit toward the front, at the part where the water gathered and sat.

Here is a picture showing how it works, tomorrow I can post a picture of the van itself. The part I've ordered is 65433 in the diagram, officially Subaru 654011050, looked up through partsouq and ordered via amayama.com. Total price (including shipping) is 248.43. Amayama is 95% confident they can get the part from Subaru but I wouldn't be surprised if Subaru doesn't actually have it. Who knows! Would be a shame if they didn't have it as I just found out that Subaru uses this specific Domingo setup on their ~Heritage~ portion of their site.

https://www.subaru-global.com/ourstory/heritage.html

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Aw man, this thread had me all geared up to look for a 2004-ish HiLux Extended-Cab, we don't even have a 25 year rule here, but due to various stupid taxes it would cost over $150/month including the cheapest insurance I could find, just to own it and keep it registered, which is much more than I can justify right now... :(

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Thanks for that, kaker (and everyone else in the thread wishing me well!) Every few days I am reminded of how great goons are. Yall are awesome.

Hiace sold for 325000 yen, which is 103000 more yen than I paid! I'll still be out the initial brokerage cost to jcd but that's fine and they deserve that; Mat says he has to do the math but it looks like the extra 100000 yen should be able to cover all the other fees and costs involved with reselling it. I'll chalk this up to the good vibes yall threw my way. Cheers!

Now I just gotta find another one, that I can get inspected and snipe for cheap. Well, that, or an 80 series... :getin:

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 23, 2019

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Goddamn, well done. That must be a nice weight off your shoulders

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, it really is. And now I feel like I have a bit more understanding of the entire process over there. Looking forward to doing it right next time!

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

That's a (van sized) bullet dodged! I just feel bad for the next guy, but I guess it's a failing of the system and nothing to do with you.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, I definitely feel for the next guy. At least they indicated the corrosion on there so whoever bought it at least has sooommmme idea of what they got into.

It is car sales, after all. I've seen people get boned way worse. Hopefully a local guy bought it as I'm sure the body shops in Japan know how to cut and replace that stuff.

The wife and I deliberated for a while on whether to keep it, I've welded box steel in for rockers before and if the rust was confined to the rocker it would have been a good beater bike haul candidate. But that frame number plate rust was a bridge too far.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 23, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's always a bigger sucker, but I prefer to think they own a model-specific junkyard and this was just the exact one to restore a client's beloved childhood memory. :v:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Threw our tent, cooler, and gear into the back of the Pajero and drive 2 hours up into the mountains to go camping this past weekend. Pajero handled the hills with ease and ran well, even had plenty of room in the back but I'll be looking for a roof rack soon in case we take the dogs next time.

Had several locals tell me that it was the most unique thing they've seen up there, including 2 high school kids freaking out because JDM, asking what it's like to drive, how I got it, if they could take pics, etc. I was happy to oblige and it's cool to see the next generation interested in stuff like this the way we are in this thread.

Riller fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 23, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hell yeah! I am going camping in Nevada next month and my friends were all hoping they could take the hiace. Maybe next year! Or this fall if things go well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

God drat it. I hate this thread. I stopped reading it early on because I know I'd end up with these loving things all over my property.

I may really want this car, everdave.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That would look really good with a Dixie Cup viny wrap

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

meatpimp posted:

God drat it. I hate this thread. I stopped reading it early on because I know I'd end up with these loving things all over my property.

They are very inexpensive, we're talking like, a single typical monthly car payment in cheapness. You gotta ship it to the USA but hey!

These are awkward pictures but the lil' yellow Bongo I had has been restored. :toot:

Now living a nice retirement in Puerto Rico.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KakerMix posted:

These are awkward pictures but the lil' yellow Bongo I had has been restored. :toot:

Now living a nice retirement in Puerto Rico.

Was this ever rebadged as a Ford? I saw a scene in some Taiwanese soap my wife was watching where a little "cabover" truck had a Ford logo up front. I assumed it would have to be a company that Ford worked with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

kimbo305 posted:

Was this ever rebadged as a Ford? I saw a scene in some Taiwanese soap my wife was watching where a little "cabover" truck had a Ford logo up front. I assumed it would have to be a company that Ford worked with.

Wouldn't surprise me, in Australia the Econoline was a rebadged Mazda van.