Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
happy 4/20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
In busy times such as these, it's nice to have the occasional moment of relative tranquility.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Inadequately posted:

In busy times such as these, it's nice to have the occasional moment of relative tranquility.

"This is not what it looks like."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Janitor to the uh, Janitor's Office.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Speaking of fines, what're the Best Of fines and tickets looking like nowadays? I really enjoyed reading those posts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

Janitor to the uh, Janitor's Office.

It's okay, they already know.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Inadequately posted:

im half ashamed to admit this but i post on the ss13 reddit a lot, used to be to try and improve goonstation's reputation and improve interserver relations but i gave up on that trash fire years ago and now i just like loving with them. do you mind if i steal this for some easy nerd points?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

im half ashamed to admit this but i post on the ss13 reddit a lot, used to be to try and improve goonstation's reputation and improve interserver relations but i gave up on that trash fire years ago and now i just like loving with them. do you mind if i steal this for some easy nerd points?

yeah whatever I don't really care about that trash heap of a place, go hog wild

The last interesting thing that happened there was when they found out 90% of the inter-station drama being stirred up was one very dedicated guy with a million accounts and way too much time on his hands.

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016

Inadequately posted:

"5 photos taken seconds before disaster"
It made for a great photo - a shame I got cut to ribbons immediately after breaking through the glass.

It's like The Phantom Menace, but instead Obi Wan was armed with a stun baton, ran to fight Darth Maul and immediately got stabbed and died.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So tonight we learned that, when you suicide by deep fryer, you don't immediately die, you stay in crit while you fry

There is enough grace period for someone to take you out and eat you while still living

If you eat a living person, interesting things happen

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For example, they can talk inside you

Also, if you fry yourself in a chem, the chem affects you (for example frying yourself in booze will get you drunk)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You've just hit the surface of the bizarre rabbit hole that is the interaction between the deep fryer and people.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Inadequately posted:

yeah whatever I don't really care about that trash heap of a place, go hog wild

The last interesting thing that happened there was when they found out 90% of the inter-station drama being stirred up was one very dedicated guy with a million accounts and way too much time on his hands.

appreciate it, here's the thread https://old.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/bfnwg2/i_swear_officer_its_not_what_it_looks_like/

you know, just so everyone can follow it. not like i'm violating reddit's TOS about sharing links and begging for nerd points or anything. purely innocent intentions.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

appreciate it, here's the thread https://old.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/bfnwg2/i_swear_officer_its_not_what_it_looks_like/

you know, just so everyone can follow it. not like i'm violating reddit's TOS about sharing links and begging for nerd points or anything. purely innocent intentions.

Someone will still ban you for existing.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

Someone will still ban you for existing.

Ironically this is what they claim the goonstation mods are like.

My favorite is when they go “Why can’t we have sexist/racist names or use slurs?!” and try way harder to rules lawyer why they should be able to do that rather than just, you know, play the game and have fun?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
same.

the mental contortions people will go through over being idiots on the internet will never stop being funny.

edit: stealing someone else's screenshot and posting it with a funny caption are now my #1 and #2 posts of all time, defeating competition such as "hey guys i fixed lag" and "byond is actually good". god reddit is awful.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 21, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Sometimes the captain is cool with the HoP fixing his lasergun...
Sometimes the captain is cool with.. uh..

And the party favour delivery

Sadly only about 10 people aboard for 'laser tag' but I had fun, and learned how to use the fabricators and reverse-engineering kit.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Mimesweeper posted:

"hey guys i fixed lag" and "byond is actually good"

Both objectively wrong.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Coming back after like 4 years and trying to remember how to hellburn is making me feel old.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Protip for sneaky Captains:

Do: dress a humanmonkey up as you and keep it as bait.

Do: make a fake persona and disguise for yourself (like Nanotransen Special Investigator) and spy on your crew. Take notes!

Don't: dispose of said fake-captain violently and in public by beating them and flushing them down disposals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DarkDobe posted:

Protip for sneaky Captains:

Do: dress a humanmonkey up as you and keep it as bait.

Do: make a fake persona and disguise for yourself (like Nanotransen Special Investigator) and spy on your crew. Take notes!

Don't: dispose of said fake-captain violently and in public by beating them and flushing them down disposals.

...The crew avenged their beloved silent monkey captain, didn't they?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The mistake here was actually not framing a despised crew member for murdering the fake monkey human captain.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

monolithburger posted:

The mistake here was actually not framing a despised crew member for murdering the fake monkey human captain.

One of the best ways to kill someone is to frame them for the murder of Heisenbee or Dr. Acula. Other station pets work, too, but those two are especially likely to turn the crew against whoever you set up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are you allowed to kill someone as a non-antag if the evidence indicates that they're a pet-murdering sonuvabitch?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you allowed to kill someone as a non-antag if the evidence indicates that they're a pet-murdering sonuvabitch?

Technically, no, but it's a pretty easy leap to make from "murdered Heisenbee" to "definitely a traitor". To my knowledge, it's totally within the rules to murder someone as a non-antag if you're convinced they're an antag. Happened to me once when I saw someone dressed up like a nuke op right after someone shouted out on the radio that they were, in fact, a nuke op. He moved towards me and I lit him up before realizing that he was only wearing the turtleneck so probably wasn't an actual nuke op. Turns out it was a Changeling round, and boy was my face red.

There's also at least one (possibly retired) Miscreant objective that requires you to goad someone else into killing you, so it's clear there are circumstances where murdering a non-antag is permissible, likely based on how much they've been acting like an antag.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you start as a clown and name yourself "Beta Global Operative #4" sometimes people will try and murder you

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm still proud of the time I, as Chef, murdered both George and Jones and made a sandwich out of them and was then instantly mobbed and killed by the stunningly angry crew. They actually coordinated with one another to bring tools to bear and break through my walls. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They sure as hell did.
Humanized monkeys are proven almost as effective as real captains.

"Cap I need something..."
"...cap?"
*sighs and leaves*

Also they sometimes talk and pickpocket. Is there a way to rename chimps? This requires further development.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Do you even need to humanise the monkey at that point?

SS13 has developed its own version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXjWRXDFV8

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do you even need to humanise the monkey at that point?

SS13 has developed its own version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXjWRXDFV8

I mean it would be more obvious at a glance.

New tactic: monkefy self as Captain and hide in the monkey lockup.

They'll never find you.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 23, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

You can't really rename monkies but stable mutagen can make them indistinguishable from someone who already exists and you can use the same stuff to make yourself into anyone else so theoretically if you want a money to look like someone you can come into the round as who you want them to be, mutate them, than stable yourself into someone else

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Motherfucker posted:

You can't really rename monkies but stable mutagen can make them indistinguishable from someone who already exists and you can use the same stuff to make yourself into anyone else so theoretically if you want a money to look like someone you can come into the round as who you want them to be, mutate them, than stable yourself into someone else

Ok I need to know more.

I thought unstable just gives you random mutations?

Like I know there's a 'polymorph' mutation but I never knew it just straight up scrambles your appearance?

Like what I did was fully dress them as captain, with a fake 'captain' ID and my PDA, and a gas mask so that anyone looking at them just sees 'me'. This of course breaks when the monkey talks - which it does every time it tries to steal an item from someone. It'll say 'give me XXX item' and then try take it - except it always says Chimp (as Jake) says: etc

While lurking around chimp-human-captain I also discovered that they can see you inside lockers, and will open the locker to go through your pockets. Monkeys are assholes.

Likewise, when I'm disguised, talking out loud gives me away - I know there are voice changers? But I'm pretty sure those are an antag item. I did think about trying to get Genetics to give me polymorph but that would have gotten extremely confusing (probably in a fun way).

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 23, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

Ok I need to know more.

I thought unstable just gives you random mutations?

Like I know there's a 'polymorph' mutation but I never knew it just straight up scrambles your appearance?

Like what I did was fully dress them as captain, with a fake 'captain' ID and my PDA, and a gas mask so that anyone looking at them just sees 'me'. This of course breaks when the monkey talks - which it does every time it tries to steal an item from someone. It'll say 'give me XXX item' and then try take it - except it always says Chimp (as Jake) says: etc

While lurking around chimp-human-captain I also discovered that they can see you inside lockers, and will open the locker to go through your pockets. Monkeys are assholes.

Likewise, when I'm disguised, talking out loud gives me away - I know there are voice changers? But I'm pretty sure those are an antag item. I did think about trying to get Genetics to give me polymorph but that would have gotten extremely confusing (probably in a fun way).

Stable mutagen isn't like unstable. Mixing stable mutagen with blood lets you basically copy the appearance and genetics of the blood donor as they are at the time of drawing it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
So I'm walking down the hall on Cogmap1, and who do I see but Satan himself in a little nook above EVA:

He offers a deal: roll higher than him on a d100 and get a wish.
I win with a 96 and wish for a golden fiddle.
I get a damned wooden fiddle for a left arm, so I try to beat him to death with a bible, and get both arms hacked off by my crewmates instead.

Then I walk into a teleporter-->crusher trap.

SS13 truly is back.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm so mad I walked into that trap. The mechanic telegraphed his treachery really far in advance by sealing the doors, so I was expecting it...and then I accidentally walked into the teleporter anyway. :sigh:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Vengarr posted:

I'm so mad I walked into that trap. The mechanic telegraphed his treachery really far in advance by sealing the doors, so I was expecting it...and then I accidentally walked into the teleporter anyway. :sigh:

How does that work?

I've never seen such a trap but I've also never seen teleporters/teleporter beacons placed on anything but floor tiles.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Things got weirder:

A Discount Devil appeared, gave out some special deals, and then blew up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DarkDobe posted:

How does that work?

I've never seen such a trap but I've also never seen teleporters/teleporter beacons placed on anything but floor tiles.

He placed a teleporter pad on both sides of an airbridge and then welded/dropped the bolts on all the doors. People would run up, realize the doors were sealed, and run into the teleporter expecting it would take them to the other side. And for a while, it did. Which helps build trust that can later be exploited.

Then he built the trap out in space. Just three tiles, walls to seal them in, a teleporter pad, and graviton traps that fling anyone who walks on them into a crusher.

After he built his crusher trap out in space, he rerouted the teleporters to lead to his trap...one-way. So people would walk into the teleporters and get insta-mulched.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like making my teleporter traps lead to a hell room in the gym bathroom full of burning paper, pianos and gravitrons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC Medbay generally has a muzzle around somewhere that prevents people from speaking and is designed for use on humanised monkeys or certain diseases. (The Serious back in the day)