Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Styles Bitchley posted:

Is there anything wrong or particularly crappy about A3s that makes them so cheap? I'm seeing 2015-2016 models with less than 30k miles for under $20k. These are quattro models, compared to Golf Rs still over $30k with the same age and mileage.

The A3 seems to take a huge depreciation hit so a great value to get lightly used. If anyone has one chime in how you like it. I would be coming from a Mk6 GTI with Stage 1 tune and would like to move into an AWD model.

I had one in between a B8.5 S4 and a B9 S5. I think the biggest knock against them is that you’re paying for the Audi badge but not getting the “Audi interior”. Compared to the S4/5 you definitely notice that cheaper materials are used (harder plastics, etc). Other then that they’re nice cars and I didn’t have any issues with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MetaJew posted:

My GF's 2016 TTS seems to have the side mirrors with blind spot indicators, but I haven't found anything in the vehicle options about blind spot monitoring. Is it safe to say this is just a parts bin thing, and the car doesn't have the Side Assist Package, or is there some way to confirm that it does or doesn't?

It seems like with all of the parking sensors, it should also have the blind spot sensors as well?

Also:

How do I remove this license plate holder?

I removed the two torx screws pictured in the bottom photo, but the mount would not pop off. Are there more screws coming in from behind the grill, or does it just snap on?

Also, what sort of torx/socket sets should I own to do basic labor or remove various things on this car? I've got plenty of 10mm sockets and various metric/SAE tools, but the only torx bits I have are some drivers on a flip out holder (like an allen key set).

Edit: I found this after adjusting my search terms. I guess I just needed to pull harder? Is that right?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk3-discussion-207/removing-front-license-plate-holder-2890239/

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 15, 2019

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've probably dropped, lost & replaced enough of those little pop-in torx bits that fit in a socket to pay for a set of dedicated torx sockets and + rail to keep them on. The set of triple square sockets I picked up around $30 at Autozone have been useful, too.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

NoWake posted:

I've probably dropped, lost & replaced enough of those little pop-in torx bits that fit in a socket to pay for a set of dedicated torx sockets and + rail to keep them on. The set of triple square sockets I picked up around $30 at Autozone have been useful, too.

Have you dropped them inside the engine bay and then resigned to never finding them? That is one of the most frustrating situations I've encountered working on a car, it hurts the fibers of my being. I rooted around on the bottom tray and found the bolt (happened to be visible through the very bottom of the front bumper), which I was really happy about because it would have eternally bothered me. Sliding around the bottom of the car forever.

Similar to when my HID bulb exploded in the housing, and there were tiny shards inside the housing that would never, ever come out. I've since come to terms with that one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

NoWake posted:

I bought a second set of impact torx bits cause I ended up breaking my regular ones hitting them with an impact driver. They serve as a backup set in a pinch.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop

VelociBacon posted:

It's been a couple summers but I used to do a ton of track day stuff, feel free to ask away if you have any questions about what to expect.

That engine stuff is a bit of a nightmare but that head is actually fairly cheap for a brand new OEM part.

I might have to take you up on that offer. I really just need to do a couple instructor led days and start finding out where my limitations are and help develop good habits. Then I can start with tire/brake upgrades and just have a little fun. Really just looking for a place to enjoy driving without having to rely on early morning spirited mountain pass drives, as much as I enjoy those. Plus I get to drive my car the way it's meant to be driven without breaking laws or hurting someone else or myself.

P.S. Been watching the new Formula 1 mini series on Netflix and it is amazing and everyone should check it out.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Something Offal posted:

Have you dropped them inside the engine bay and then resigned to never finding them? That is one of the most frustrating situations I've encountered working on a car, it hurts the fibers of my being. I rooted around on the bottom tray and found the bolt (happened to be visible through the very bottom of the front bumper), which I was really happy about because it would have eternally bothered me. Sliding around the bottom of the car forever.

Ohh yeah. Last one had me dangling a phone from the charger cable mission-impossible style down between the intake and the block, recording with the flashlight on, to catch a glimpse of intake bolt #7 I thought must raptured itself to Wolfsburg on its way to the ground. Found it sitting pretty on the edge of the AC compressor's bracket, underneath the alternator, out of view even with the front clip slid out and all of the intake plumbing removed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've used my phone to take photos of hard to see places before, but never thought to get a video. That'd be so much easier than trying to find the correct angle!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mrtrunks84 posted:

I might have to take you up on that offer. I really just need to do a couple instructor led days and start finding out where my limitations are and help develop good habits. Then I can start with tire/brake upgrades and just have a little fun. Really just looking for a place to enjoy driving without having to rely on early morning spirited mountain pass drives, as much as I enjoy those. Plus I get to drive my car the way it's meant to be driven without breaking laws or hurting someone else or myself.

P.S. Been watching the new Formula 1 mini series on Netflix and it is amazing and everyone should check it out.

A good place to start is to find out what helmet regulations you need to comply to for the track days you're interested in (usually SNELL xyz) and try on/buy a helmet. I can only speak to how the track days are organized here but I think I can give you a good idea of what to expect. The day will start out with filling out forms releasing groups from liability etc, and then a driver's meeting where they go over the day and give you an introduction to the flag system (it's basically the same as other racing series so if you're familiar with F1 you'll be familiar with the flags). They'll have some things to say about safety, emphasizing to drive slow in the paddock, it's not a race, we're here to learn, no big dick behavior etc. They'll separate the drivers into groups depending on experience and to some extent the vehicle (an expert driver in something like a Miata won't be put with other expert drivers if they're in corvettes/GT3/etc). You'll also have a few people scrutineer the car to make sure it's safe (no loose poo poo in the car, tires aren't bald, etc). As a novice driver you'll be going out the first few times with an instructor who may be also driving in the more experienced catagories. It is somewhat common if it's your first track day for the instructor to do 3-4 laps driving your car to show you the basics of track driving, braking points, where the apex is for different corners, etc. It'll also allow you to see how the overtaking is done according to the rules of the group doing the track day (generally a few areas on the track are considered the safe passing areas and you only pass when you're being waved forward by the car in front). You'll then drive with the instructor as a passenger who will do the predictable things about guiding your learning. The groups will then alternate throughout the day with usually a little lunch break at some point and a smaller meeting if the conditions change to make sure the drivers are all aware.

Before your track day you might want to get some track pads or at least make sure your pads have lots of life left in them. Make sure your battery tie down is adequate and take anything extra out of the car that isn't bolted in. You'll get emails about this kind of thing so I wouldn't worry too much.

If you like that F1 series you should watch the recent movie that came out about Williams F1.

NoWake posted:

Get one of these flexible rods, they're amazing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Uthor posted:

You don't own a full set of torx bits? How do you manage???

Literally every screw other than the license plate ones on a VW/Audi will be torx.
A dealer once replaced my license plate screws with Torx after tacking on their PISSBUTT AUTO GROUP frame.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have experience with trailer wiring on a Mk7? I’ve got the etrailer recommended wiring converter that has the flat 4 plug. I bought two LED lights and a Y wiring adapter into the flat 4 plug. I know VW uses PWM for their lights, so I’m wondering if I’ll need anything else.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

The Xkdc Larper posted:

Looks like it might be possible with a multi meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnvrsY-UPf4

Thanks- will bear it in mind but for the last 2 weeks or so it hasn't shown up at all so problem solved

I will still probably swap them all out when it inevitably comes back, but it will be nice to tell which ones broke/are close to out of range

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
This feels almost like a dumb question but I’ve done a lot of reading and still haven’t come to a conclusion. Is the repair/ownership cost of a mildly used S4 similar to the higher end Audi models? I am waffling between trying to find a ~30k mile certified pre owned or leasing a 2019. I drive less than 10k miles a year so leasing feels like a viable option and the payment I am being offered at the dealership is much lower than I expected (720/month with 700 down). Part of me feels like these cars get driven hard so I’d love to get a new one for relative peace of mind but at the same time how hard can 30k miles be on a car? Also, are there any specific gotchas for recent s4 models? I know about stuff on the older V8s such as the $$$ timing chain maintenance but it’s harder to find data on newer models. I would be total open to buying a lightly used one if I was relatively sure I would not have to dump used A8 amounts of money into it.

Edit: I’ve looked into all the tech and right now I drive a 1999 Jeep Cherokee so any Audi is going to feel like I just went to the future. On the other hand, I kinda want all the tech I can get so I can bask in excessive luxury.

rally fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 19, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I had a previous gen S4 and have a current gen S5. There’s nothing particular out of the ordinary about maintaining them other than the brakes. Those are a fair bit more than the regular “A” line cars. You don’t start getting the really expensive new tech until you move into the A/S6 and 7.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What's different about the brakes? My last car had 4 pot opposing piston brakes and it was the easiest brake pad changes of my life.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They’re a lot more expensive than the standard A4/5 brakes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

They’re a lot more expensive than the standard A4/5 brakes.

I assume because opposing piston but as a maintenance thing it should be easier to service.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

I assume because opposing piston but as a maintenance thing it should be easier to service.
Yeah, the actual work is basically the same. When I said "fair bit more" I was referring to the cost of the parts, not the labor involved.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

well, i am the new owner of a 2016 golf R with dcc/nav

what have i done?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Deviant posted:

well, i am the new owner of a 2016 golf R with dcc/nav

what have i done?

Pics or it didn't happen.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

tomorrow whenif the sun comes out

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I also bought something new, though it's not as exciting as an R ('19 GTI).

I wanted the manual, but all they had within a reasonable distance was white or black ones. The DSG is loads better than what I was used to in my Focus, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I really wish Audi had offered the Q7 TDI with a DSG, that slushbox is just losing too much of the power...

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Looks like they had a Rabbit with a manual on the lot

Edit: actually nevermind, vw's search lied to me

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fats posted:

I also bought something new, though it's not as exciting as an R ('19 GTI).

I wanted the manual, but all they had within a reasonable distance was white or black ones. The DSG is loads better than what I was used to in my Focus, though.

I was gonna buy a 19 GTI but the 16 R was the same money, and thoroughly impressed me coming from a '10 Mazda 3 2.5L

Also I found out my one interior cosmetic issue, the chrome trim around the shifter is peeling, is usually a warranty repair, so I'mma go have them fix that.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 20, 2019

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
This was a pain in the rear end, but I like the results. I'm tempted to remove the rear Audi emblem as well. The inner crevices have already collected a bunch of pollen and dirt.

I'll need to get a new claybar and polish and try to buff out some of the remaining discoloration where the edges of the emblem sat. But it looks pretty good with just a lot of acetone, and then some detailer.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
:stare: an eraser wheel and some goo gone would have done the same job without having to use such a strong solvent on clear coat.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Etrips posted:

:stare: an eraser wheel and some goo gone would have done the same job without having to use such a strong solvent on clear coat.

Goo gone is acetone + xylene and didn't do much different. I just ran out of it.

What is an "eraser wheel"?

Edit: Looks like I confused goof off with goo gone. Either way, I've used the acetone product, goof off, in the past to no ill effects to remove adhesives and things from auto paint. I agree that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to let it soak on the paint, but dabbing an adhesive to remove it probably won't cause any major issues on cured paint.

I can tell you for certain that it will remove spray paint from plastic supermoto fenders and plastics in no time at all.

I also looked up the 3m Eraser Wheel. For $40, it definitely doesn't really seem worth the cost for a one or two time usage.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 21, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Some more tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE4oeLHHb_U

Have you tried compound and compounding it out? The pad'll get ruined, but will get it off.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Step Oh my God: Unplug soundaktor
Step 0: Wheel locks + Dashcam
Step 1: Spare tire + Kit
Step 2: Import Euro Armrest.

Plus a VCDS cable/software package. Which one is best?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 21, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deviant posted:

Personally I use VCDS and just rented the cable off eBay. The cables are insanely expensive.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Personally I use VCDS and just rented the cable off eBay. The cables are insanely expensive.

I had a feeling i might be able to get a loaner if i poke around the local guys.

Luckily some other guy shares my neurotic need to have a spare tire in the back:

https://www.wolfeden.org/cars/golf-r/mods/spare-tire-kit.html

Can someone confirm the Ohtsu FP8000s i got with it are *not* run-flat? They don't seem to be but I found a few conflicting bits.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
OBDeleven does like 95% of what VCDS does and is now iOS compatible (needs a specific dongle than what was previously sold).

So how far down the rabbit hole are you going!?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Etrips posted:

OBDeleven does like 95% of what VCDS does and is now iOS compatible (needs a specific dongle than what was previously sold).

So how far down the rabbit hole are you going!?

Ah, I was told that VCDS was the better option vs obd11. Can you talk about how they compare?

I def wanna do all the stuff i mentioned above, wheel locks + dashcam, spare tire kit, ratcheting euro arm rest, and soundaktor delete, beyond that who knows?

Someone told me you can modify the software to open exhaust flaps 100% of the time, but i'm unclear on why you'd do that.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 21, 2019

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Deviant posted:

Whats different about the Euro armrest?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Baxate posted:

Whats different about the Euro armrest?

It actually opens to reveal a center console box.

You can do this mod on the USA model, but you don't get feature two: it can be moved and ratcheted up and down and left in position.

the armrest is a lot lower than i like it by default, but it's not a high priority mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGMJlU4WA3o

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 21, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s wild. My GTI has that but the R doesn’t?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That’s wild. My GTI has that but the R doesn’t?

Yeah, on my R that center console is bolted shut. You pull off the rear vents, unbolt a few screws, and add zipties to make it open/shut, but you don't get the ratcheting action unless you get the euro part (or do much heavier modding) edit: GTI part wouldn't fit.

Federal regulation, apparently:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/05/13/volkswagen-golf-r/27222137/

some knob at VW posted:

"On the GTI and Golf, we have a different center console design because they have a manual hand brake, while the Golf R has an electronic hand brake," Gillies said. "On the GTI and Golf, the armrest has a latch to secure the armrest in place to comply with FMVSS [Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards] regulations. The European Golf R armrest does not have this latch, so the decision was taken to lock it to accord with FMVSS regulations."

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2019

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone here own a Sportwagen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welp, DPF alert came on today, gonna go highway the Q7 in sport mode and hope it unclogs