Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

I just dropped off an Apple Watch I had bought through Verizon last week because I decided I really don't need the cellular plan with it, but I was forced into keeping the plan unless I wanted to buy the device out up front. I wouldn't mind doing this, but I'm not going to pay the price for a cellular model if I'm not going to use it. Anyway, I just unpaired the watch and dropped it off at UPS using the return label I printed from the My Verizon site.

Now my next bill has shot up $750 due to a "one-time charge" for a "device payment buyout charge".

I'm hoping someone can ease my mind that as soon as the warehouse receives my package and processes the return, that the charge will fall off right then? I really don't want to pay $750 up front and wait to be credited back later on. Thanks.

I assume $750 was the watch retail? So basically, if you’re saying you shipped back the watch as a return, here’s what I would think:

-you removed the watch from your plan (since you returned it). Because Verizon has not yet received the watch, the system will auto charge the price of the watch
-you shipped the watch back. Upon receivable, Verizon will process the return, probably charge a $50 restock fee, and apply the difference to your bill.

So you should see $750-700 on your bill once restock fee is factored in.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I remember looking at unlimited plans sometime last year and doing the math and discovering that they'd be more expensive for me, so I didn't pursue them further. But I'm finding myself more and more frequently using all my data in a month, so I decided to look into it again and now it looks like it might actually be cheaper? Unless I'm not reading something correctly.

I currently pay $64.40 ($70 minus a 5% access discount from my work and a 3% bonus access discount from ?????) for the 8GB large plan. Then I also pay $20 a month for "Smartphone access" for mine and my wife's phone. So, we're effectively paying $104.40 per month for both of our phones to share 8GB.

I'm not really interested in the goUnlimited plan because I don't want to be throttled just because it's busy (is that the main difference between the plans?), but it looks like the beyondUnlimited plan is $50 per line. Do I also have to pay the "Smartphone access" fees, or are those only for the non-unlimited plans? If the Smartphone access fee is eliminated, then it looks like I'd pay $100/mo for unlimited on both phones vs. the $104.40 i'm paying now for us to share 8GB. And that's not even taking into account the fact that it comes with Apple Music so I could potentially cancel my Spotify subscription.

Did I miss anything here? Would my 5% and 3% discounts just go away, or would they apply to the new costs? It seems like the unlimited cost is cheaper even than the 8GB plan with discounts, so maybe it doesn't matter. Thanks for any guidance you could give, Duckman!

No discounts on unlimited. So your plan is currently

$64 + $20 + $20 = $104

Beyond unlimited for 2 people is $85+$85. The $50 is for 4 lines, as the other poster mentioned.

PM me, it’s possible you could have the option to go to the 16Gb plan, which with discount is $75+$20+$20 = $115. No guarantees, but I don’t mind checking.

I’m an idiot and took a promotion to management, so my turn around time on checking this can take a few days, as in you can PM me, but if I have a crazy crisis day I may forget to check. Otherwise, I don’t mind looking.

MrCodeDude posted:

I have the More Everything 10GB plan shared between four lines. Three of the lines are out-of-contract.

I am trying to activate a purchased (from Google, not Verizon) Pixel 3 on one of those lines.

The attached screen comes up. The line access fee jumps from $15 to $40.

But where they total the columns, the "current cost" and "new cost" are the same. (There is nothing in the added features or existing features sections)

I'm confused. If I swap phones, will my bill go up $25?

The system is mis showing what your plan is, but essentially you have an old plan, so your like charge is indeed $40 a month, but you get a $25 discount for being off contract. Swapping phones doesn’t change that.

The other poster is right , order via google, don’t talk to Verizon in this case and just swap the SIM, the system will take care if it automatically.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I am obviously not Duckman,

This is true, but you give good advice. I just had a horrible day so thank you for the compliment, made me feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Duckman2008 posted:

I assume $750 was the watch retail? So basically, if you’re saying you shipped back the watch as a return, here’s what I would think:

-you removed the watch from your plan (since you returned it). Because Verizon has not yet received the watch, the system will auto charge the price of the watch
-you shipped the watch back. Upon receivable, Verizon will process the return, probably charge a $50 restock fee, and apply the difference to your bill.

So you should see $750-700 on your bill once restock fee is factored in.

Yeah, well they said it would be automatically removed from my plan once they receive the watch. I assumed this was probably the case but just wanted clarification about how their system handles that sort of thing. Thanks so much for the response.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

No discounts on unlimited. So your plan is currently

$64 + $20 + $20 = $104

Beyond unlimited for 2 people is $85+$85. The $50 is for 4 lines, as the other poster mentioned.

PM me, it’s possible you could have the option to go to the 16Gb plan, which with discount is $75+$20+$20 = $115. No guarantees, but I don’t mind checking.

I’m an idiot and took a promotion to management, so my turn around time on checking this can take a few days, as in you can PM me, but if I have a crazy crisis day I may forget to check. Otherwise, I don’t mind looking.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not looking to increase my bill right now. And even though I'm often up against the cap, I haven't actually exceed it yet. Thanks for the offer though!!

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

What exactly are you doing on the website. Just switch out the Sim card on the current phone into the pIxel 3

Duckman2008 posted:

The system is mis showing what your plan is, but essentially you have an old plan, so your like charge is indeed $40 a month, but you get a $25 discount for being off contract. Swapping phones doesn’t change that.

The other poster is right , order via google, don’t talk to Verizon in this case and just swap the SIM, the system will take care if it automatically.

Thank you both!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I just woke up this morning and discovered a green line running vertically down my Note 9's screen, about 1/4in from the left side of the screen.

It is not constant, I have one of those wallpapers for OLED displays that has true black in it and the line looks like it's only visible on portions of the screen which are not the true black. The line also appears to be flickering towards the middle of its length, but steady on the ends.

I tried one of those stuck pixel youtube videos, and while it was running the line was completely solid and visible the entire time. I only ran it for about 30 seconds however.

The phone was fine when I went to bed last night. I plugged it in and went to sleep.

The phone has been in a heavy duty Otterbox case.

I'm paying the $9/mo for "Total Equipment Coverage", will that replace my phone? Is there a way to file a claim that doesn't involve staring at a spinning loading screen on the Asurion website for a half hour and counting just to see ifmy situation is covered?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

So I just woke up this morning and discovered a green line running vertically down my Note 9's screen, about 1/4in from the left side of the screen.

It is not constant, I have one of those wallpapers for OLED displays that has true black in it and the line looks like it's only visible on portions of the screen which are not the true black. The line also appears to be flickering towards the middle of its length, but steady on the ends.

I tried one of those stuck pixel youtube videos, and while it was running the line was completely solid and visible the entire time. I only ran it for about 30 seconds however.

The phone was fine when I went to bed last night. I plugged it in and went to sleep.

The phone has been in a heavy duty Otterbox case.

I'm paying the $9/mo for "Total Equipment Coverage", will that replace my phone? Is there a way to file a claim that doesn't involve staring at a spinning loading screen on the Asurion website for a half hour and counting just to see ifmy situation is covered?

Take it by a Verizon company store. It’s subjective to whether the person thinks there is physical damage or not. No physical damage, they can overnight a replacement at no cost. Physical damage means you may have to go through Asurion and pay a $30 screen repair.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I took it to the shop and they're overnighting me a refurbished replacement, so that's cool.

Under warranty too, so no deductible.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
I am working on renegotiating the wireless contract for my company. We have ~30 voice lines and 5 jetpacks/cradlepoints.

I have been intrigued by the flexible business plans (https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/flexible-business-plan/) but really hate that they only give you a $20/month discount if you buy a phone on monthly installments. Even if a line is out of contract, you still must pay this $20.
If the line is out of contract, I feel like it shouldn't have to pay $20/month extra, just because.

I asked my account manager about it, and she said in the time she has worked there, she has only seen one account get an override for that policy.

I'm trying to determine what buttons to push, so to speak, to make the override a reality. Do any Verizon reps here know of other channels I can try? Is there a big sales push to sell something right now in the business landscape, that I could leverage to get an override?

EDIT: Just to be extra clear, I am not asking to purchase phones on 2 year contracts with this plan. They need to make back their subsidy. I get that.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 29, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

I am working on renegotiating the wireless contract for my company. We have ~30 voice lines and 5 jetpacks/cradlepoints.

I have been intrigued by the flexible business plans (https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/flexible-business-plan/) but really hate that they only give you a $20/month discount if you buy a phone on monthly installments. Even if a line is out of contract, you still must pay this $20.
If the line is out of contract, I feel like it shouldn't have to pay $20/month extra, just because.

I asked my account manager about it, and she said in the time she has worked there, she has only seen one account get an override for that policy.

I'm trying to determine what buttons to push, so to speak, to make the override a reality. Do any Verizon reps here know of other channels I can try? Is there a big sales push to sell something right now in the business landscape, that I could leverage to get an override?

EDIT: Just to be extra clear, I am not asking to purchase phones on 2 year contracts with this plan. They need to make back their subsidy. I get that.

I mean, it’s the same as consume plans when you were at ATT, it’s $20 a month no contract, $40 a month contract. Hence why they don’t discount the lines further, it’s already there.

So not sure. I would compare the plan to business unlimited and go from there. The flex plans tend to not be viable under 50 lines.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, it’s the same as consume plans when you were at ATT, it’s $20 a month no contract, $40 a month contract. Hence why they don’t discount the lines further, it’s already there.

So not sure. I would compare the plan to business unlimited and go from there. The flex plans tend to not be viable under 50 lines.

But the key difference is that they only give you the $20 discount if you are actively purchasing a phone on a payment plan.

If you are 100% out of contract, and own your phone, the $45/month turns into $65/month. AT&T does not do that. AT&T only does that if you buy it on a 2 year contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

But the key difference is that they only give you the $20 discount if you are actively purchasing a phone on a payment plan.

If you are 100% out of contract, and own your phone, the $45/month turns into $65/month. AT&T does not do that. AT&T only does that if you buy it on a 2 year contract.

What plan are you on? All the current business plans def do not go up $20 if you own the phone.

Something’s off then, possible you’re just on some really old plans (plans from 4ish years ago functioned like you described). I think you just need to check plan prices and change to a new plan, likely business unlimited.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

What plan are you on? All the current business plans def do not go up $20 if you own the phone.

Something’s off then, possible you’re just on some really old plans (plans from 4ish years ago functioned like you described). I think you just need to check plan prices and change to a new plan, likely business unlimited.

We're on this right now. https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/verizon-plan-business/ This plan does not increase once you own the phone.

The flexible plan https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/flexible-business-plan/ does increase once you own the phone.

And we don't want unlimited, because we plan on utilizing the data on our CradlePoint devices, which can't be on unlimited.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

We're on this right now. https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/verizon-plan-business/ This plan does not increase once you own the phone.

The flexible plan https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/flexible-business-plan/ does increase once you own the phone.

And we don't want unlimited, because we plan on utilizing the data on our CradlePoint devices, which can't be on unlimited.

Oh poo poo, it just clicked in my head on cradle points. You are right that the cradle points are going to be a bitch since they can’t do unlimited. Verizon’s current plans don’t help with that.

That being said, Flex plans are likely not the answer. I don’t work with a bus like yours every day, but the mantra tends to be don’t do flex plans until at least 50 lines.

I would have someone run the numbers, but the bus plan you’re on now is honestly likely the best with something like a cradle point.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh poo poo, it just clicked in my head on cradle points. You are right that the cradle points are going to be a bitch since they can’t do unlimited. Verizon’s current plans don’t help with that.

That being said, Flex plans are likely not the answer. I don’t work with a bus like yours every day, but the mantra tends to be don’t do flex plans until at least 50 lines.

I would have someone run the numbers, but the bus plan you’re on now is honestly likely the best with something like a cradle point.

Blah, that's a shame. We're on two group accounts right now, which is just a waste. It is cheaper, but annoying.

Since theres a good 50gb of data not being used, I figured I could utilize it on the CradlePoint devices. But no... :(

Guess I'll just stick it on one of the groups.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also, fun fact for anyone who is interested...

If you are a Verizon Wireless business customer, and you have more than 25 lines, you are eligible for Verizon Private Network.

For a one time fee of ~$500, you can assign up to 25 Public Static IPs to your lines. After 25, you need to submit justification documentation.

But that's it. One time, $500, all you can eat static IPs with justification.

You can do even more cool stuff like connecting your infrastructure to their network, give Verizon a pool of private IP addresses, and you can make any SIM card a direct link to your company's network, no VPN required. Supposedly, this feature is also, only a one time fee of $500.
This does not take into consideration the security you should put in place. If someone steals your SIM, they have access to your network. SIM locking and/or 802.1x and/or RADIUS would be a good idea.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
What's the warranty process like for, say, a Pixel 3XL on VZW? I purchased on a DPP last November or December, and the front-facing camera has been getting slowly more unusable. Should I bother going into the store, and will they be able to exchange/order a replacement while I keep the phone, or will I need to hand over the phone right away and wait on the replacement?

I've tried all the usual fixes, wiping data/cache and a factory reset. When flipping to the front camera, the image is super fuzzy and loud static noise comes out of the speaker next to the camera. Happened very infrequently after the first month or two, and now it's basically any time I try to use it. I've got a backup phone I could use, but I'd likely need a replacement SIM for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

What's the warranty process like for, say, a Pixel 3XL on VZW? I purchased on a DPP last November or December, and the front-facing camera has been getting slowly more unusable. Should I bother going into the store, and will they be able to exchange/order a replacement while I keep the phone, or will I need to hand over the phone right away and wait on the replacement?

I've tried all the usual fixes, wiping data/cache and a factory reset. When flipping to the front camera, the image is super fuzzy and loud static noise comes out of the speaker next to the camera. Happened very infrequently after the first month or two, and now it's basically any time I try to use it. I've got a backup phone I could use, but I'd likely need a replacement SIM for it.

If it’s deemed defective and no damage they’ll mail out a replacement phone, 3 day shipping, you use your phone in the meantime.

Mileage will vary on who you get since they issue seems a bit subjective. Most wont give you a hassle, but if you can’t duplicate it in store some sticklers might. But honestly, most just want the easy fix, and the easy fix is mailing a replacement.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
What's the deal with the buy one get one promotion? I get that you have to add a line, but couldn't we just drop one of our lines that has the phone paid off an hour before then add a new one and still get the deal with no actual additional line? Pretty sure we're already on a unlimited plan so I don't think there'd be any higher cost on the new line vs old one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shyfted One posted:

What's the deal with the buy one get one promotion? I get that you have to add a line, but couldn't we just drop one of our lines that has the phone paid off an hour before then add a new one and still get the deal with no actual additional line? Pretty sure we're already on a unlimited plan so I don't think there'd be any higher cost on the new line vs old one.

Yeah, someone would just have to keep the new number, so some people will do that, some people don’t like getting a new number.

Tip: you can move the number to google voice if you still want it to work.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Could I transfer the number to Google voice and then transfer it back to one of the lines after? Would this work if transferring the number from an Android phone to Google voice, but then back to an iPhone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shyfted One posted:

Could I transfer the number to Google voice and then transfer it back to one of the lines after? Would this work if transferring the number from an Android phone to Google voice, but then back to an iPhone?

Like, in theory it could work, but if gets flagged you likely wouldn’t get sympathy over it.

If it helps , I use google voice on an iPhone, and other than iMessage obviously not an option it works fine.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Beefstorm posted:

IDK if my account manager is just being sneaky in trying to get me to buy phones, or just Verizon in general. But the long story short is, once you buy a phone on device payments, you keep the discount.

The only way to get the discount in the first place, is to buy a phone through device payments on the line. No cheap BYOD on this business plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

IDK if my account manager is just being sneaky in trying to get me to buy phones, or just Verizon in general. But the long story short is, once you buy a phone on device payments, you keep the discount.

The only way to get the discount in the first place, is to buy a phone through device payments on the line. No cheap BYOD on this business plan.

Well, if it’s like the really old Verizon plans (probably is), there’s a code to override it. The issue is no one in stores is authorized to process it (as in it doesn’t accept credentials). Last I checked customer care could, but the plans are getting pretty rare so it’s been a bit.

Here’s a fun work around: do you have any phones on payment plan? You can move the payment plan from phone line to phone line (say once a day) and that should kick in the discount.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I was told by Sales and tier 1 Technical Support that an AT&T S7 Edge is not compatible on Verizons network because the antenna is different but everything I am seeing in Technical specifications shows it to be the same hardware and gated by firmware. Anyone got an idea which is correct? Ive got the firmware to flash and both the Verizon and Unlocked firmwares show all the correct bands will be enabled.

edit: they wont even give me a sim card to try and said it would be denied if I asked them to add the IMEI to the DMD list. From what I can tell I can port the number to my old S5 Verizon phone and get a sim card for that and dump the sim card into the S7 Edge for the path of least resistance?

schreibs fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 7, 2019

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Going to St lucia, in the Caribbean next week for a week. Want use my phone for AT LEAST calls and texts, if not Data as well.

What are my options, how much are they, and how do I do em?

Thanks for any help

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If you don't care about the number it's usually cheap to just grab a prepaid sim card in the country you are visiting

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That’s what I’ve always done in the Caribbean. (A whopping three times). Looks like Digicel operates in St. Lucia. I used them in Jamaica for cheap and it was all smooth. Needed to show a passport to sign up.. https://www.digicelgroup.com/lc/en/mobile.html

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

I was told by Sales and tier 1 Technical Support that an AT&T S7 Edge is not compatible on Verizons network because the antenna is different but everything I am seeing in Technical specifications shows it to be the same hardware and gated by firmware. Anyone got an idea which is correct? Ive got the firmware to flash and both the Verizon and Unlocked firmwares show all the correct bands will be enabled.

edit: they wont even give me a sim card to try and said it would be denied if I asked them to add the IMEI to the DMD list. From what I can tell I can port the number to my old S5 Verizon phone and get a sim card for that and dump the sim card into the S7 Edge for the path of least resistance?

I mean, you can manipulate the system to get a SIM card. I could totally do that for instance. But I would have told you an ATT S7 Edge would not work on Verizon, and I would still stand by that.

Even if the bands match, you’ll get zero support for issues , so sure, you could get a SIM card, but unless you are perfectly lucky I don’t think it’ll end well, and Verizon won’t refund the service and act fee.

Def don’t do prepaid, prepaid support is very bad and you will be even more unlikely to get it working.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you don't care about the number it's usually cheap to just grab a prepaid sim card in the country you are visiting

This.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Will my phone still work the same?
All my contacts and everything the same, just a new number?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Will my phone still work the same?
All my contacts and everything the same, just a new number?

Yup, just a new number, at whatever internet speeds said local provider has. Download what’s app or google voice or something and you can message people over the internet for cheap.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, you can manipulate the system to get a SIM card. I could totally do that for instance. But I would have told you an ATT S7 Edge would not work on Verizon, and I would still stand by that.

Even if the bands match, you’ll get zero support for issues , so sure, you could get a SIM card, but unless you are perfectly lucky I don’t think it’ll end well, and Verizon won’t refund the service and act fee.

Thanks, will probably try to sell it and upgrade her to a different phone. Although I did flash it this afternoon and the device model is now SM-G935U. Does that change anything in regards to compatibility in your mind?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

Thanks, will probably try to sell it and upgrade her to a different phone. Although I did flash it this afternoon and the device model is now SM-G935U. Does that change anything in regards to compatibility in your mind?

No, I don’t think it’ll work, and quite frankly it’s an old enough model where it’s also not worth it.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

No, I don’t think it’ll work, and quite frankly it’s an old enough model where it’s also not worth it.

At least I learned a lot about backing up android phones and flashing firmware for Samsung devices :)

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

schreibs posted:

Theoretically, looking at the specs, it SHOULD work. But be aware that while it may work there will be limitations and issues and Verizon won't give a poo poo if you have problems or need help. I ran a ZTE Axon 7 on Verizon for just over a year. It had the correct CDMA and LTE bands, and while it worked, it wasn't ideal. First off, Verizon couldn't do anything on my account unless I put my sim in another phone as it showed my device as unauthorized. I'd have to put my sim in my wife's phone before we could make any changes on the account, not just my line. Even though my device supported VoLTE it wouldn't work with Verizon, and voice quality was horrendous. But on the plus side, all I had to do was put my old sim in my phone and it worked, never had to deal with support about that. If you have access to a Verizon sim, try that in her phone first. If it works, great. If not, well, guess it's new phone time. If you don't like getting your phones from your carrier, luckily, the options for Verizon have got much better. I recently picked up a unlocked Moto X4 for $150 brand new from Best Buy. Updated to Android 9 right out of the box and it's worked with every sim Ive put in it without issues. I think if you buy the Amazon version it's even a few bucks cheaper though it comes with Amazon apps, Alexa, and some ads on the lockscreen built in.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Bananana posted:

Going to St lucia, in the Caribbean next week for a week. Want use my phone for AT LEAST calls and texts, if not Data as well.

What are my options, how much are they, and how do I do em?

Thanks for any help

Another alternative is to just pay the $10/day for Verizon Travelpass where you keep your number for calls and texting and use the call/text/data allotment from your domestic plan. Although last I checked there was a daily 500MB data limit when roaming before it drops to 600kbps (which is part of the reason I swapped to AT&T). 7 days is pushing the limits of what I would want to spend to keep my number and not have to find a local SIM seller, especially if you’re staying in a single country so it’s only one SIM to buy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fordan posted:

Another alternative is to just pay the $10/day for Verizon Travelpass where you keep your number for calls and texting and use the call/text/data allotment from your domestic plan. Although last I checked there was a daily 500MB data limit when roaming before it drops to 600kbps (which is part of the reason I swapped to AT&T). 7 days is pushing the limits of what I would want to spend to keep my number and not have to find a local SIM seller, especially if you’re staying in a single country so it’s only one SIM to buy.

Last time I traveled out of the US, I was gone for a week but only wound up doing the Travelpass maybe 3-4 days. Wifi was prevalent enough where I went that I just kept the phone in airplane mode and let wifi calling kick in.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

I heard the rumors that the unlimited data pre-paid hotspot plan was going away soon, so I bought a used 7730L Jetpack off of Craigslist and signed up online last night. This is my first account with Verizon, and the experience has been pretty awful so far.

I received an email that my plan was ready to use, but the hotspot still isn't connecting to the network. Maybe I set something up incorrectly, but I can't login to VerizonWireless.com to fix it. I setup an account using the email address associated with my order, but I keep running into errors and maintenance messages. Between two separate emails, I was able to piece together what my full mobile number is, but get an error trying to add it to my account. If I try to register a new account using that number, I get dumped back to the home page. I haven't been provided an account number.

There is a link on one of my emails to Manage My Plan, which seems to be attempting to log me in somewhere, but that only results in errors.

Is Verizon actually performing major website maintenance in the middle of the day? Or does it always suck? I'm not sure what I need to do to get my service actually working.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rhombus posted:

I heard the rumors that the unlimited data pre-paid hotspot plan was going away soon, so I bought a used 7730L Jetpack off of Craigslist and signed up online last night. This is my first account with Verizon, and the experience has been pretty awful so far.

I received an email that my plan was ready to use, but the hotspot still isn't connecting to the network. Maybe I set something up incorrectly, but I can't login to VerizonWireless.com to fix it. I setup an account using the email address associated with my order, but I keep running into errors and maintenance messages. Between two separate emails, I was able to piece together what my full mobile number is, but get an error trying to add it to my account. If I try to register a new account using that number, I get dumped back to the home page. I haven't been provided an account number.

There is a link on one of my emails to Manage My Plan, which seems to be attempting to log me in somewhere, but that only results in errors.

Is Verizon actually performing major website maintenance in the middle of the day? Or does it always suck? I'm not sure what I need to do to get my service actually working.

Yeah. Verizon’s prepaid website isn’t great and I’ve seen many issues where it doesn’t register online accounts for mobile hotspot. Did it for sure charge your card? You may have to just try and get in the phone to fix it, which isn’t fun.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah. Verizon’s prepaid website isn’t great and I’ve seen many issues where it doesn’t register online accounts for mobile hotspot. Did it for sure charge your card? You may have to just try and get in the phone to fix it, which isn’t fun.

They did charge my card. Trying to call in now which is like navigating the levels of hell. They didn't like the phone number the Jetpack says it has, but they did accept the phone number I cobbled together from two separate emails. I made it to hold music after 10 minutes of talking to the robot lady. I hope this works because I don't want to have to go to the Verizon store.

Update - Spent about 30 minutes on the call in total. Once I finally got to speak to someone she was really helpful. Clear connection, spoke English with just a bit of an accent (Filipino?), was able to correct my ICCID which was apparently bad (my fault, I guess), and get my account setup. Now hopefully they just take my money and I never have to talk to them again!

rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So if I want to upgrade our Verizon Pixel XLs to Pixel 3a or 3a XLs, what is the best way to do that right now. I see some deals, are there also trade ins that I can combo for these Pixels?