Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sounds about right. Siddig became a very decent actor over the course of the show and I'm never sure if S1/2 are his doing or just some bad direction.

Unrelated to that, I still love Dramatis Personae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well also he was just really young when he started. He got a little practice that way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
He was 28 but he'd basically done nothing before that according to the internet so that's fair.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Siddig's ambition was to become a director before he fell into acting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Orv posted:

Sounds about right. Siddig became a very decent actor over the course of the show and I'm never sure if S1/2 are his doing or just some bad direction.

RAY-OH VAN-TI-CAH

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Automatic Slim posted:

Siddig's ambition was to become a director before he fell into acting.

Instead, he fought with Saladin against Legolas.

Hey, pal, if Men and Elves are arrayed against you, maybe your cause isn't just.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Zurui posted:

I dunno, canonically tractor beams can't move anything much larger than the ship they're attached to (see the TNG episode where the asteroid is going to kill a Federation colony). Also, even if they could that would likely fall under the definition of "war crime."

They have those in Bablyon 5 ("mass drivers" IIRC) and they are indeed war crimes in that show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McSpanky posted:

RAY-OH VAN-TI-CAH
That episode suuuucks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zurui posted:

I dunno, canonically tractor beams can't move anything much larger than the ship they're attached to (see the TNG episode where the asteroid is going to kill a Federation colony).

Which one is that? The only one I can think of is the Q one, and that's a full-blown moon.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Nah, I just misremembered.

Orv
May 4, 2011

McSpanky posted:

RAY-OH VAN-TI-CAH

Orv posted:

E: "Hailing... ... ... us?"

That episode is a good idea let down by just about everything in it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Orv posted:

That episode is a good idea let down by just about everything in it.

Super early DS9 had a weird vibe in some episodes that was more Silk Stalkings than Star Trek. A Man Alone and The Passenger especially.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

Memory Alpha says this... thing:

We don't want any of that fancy smancy sci-fi!

later...

Oh God, why didn't we include any sci-fi in our sci-fi show?!?

Also, Rick Berman is poo poo.

Haha christ, I thought I had missed something from not paying attention. It was really just the story of janeway's ancestor getting a job and romancing an old grandpa?

gently caress it, forget Voyager. I'm a few episodes into TAS now, why the hell didn't I watch this earlier?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It seemed implausible for Janeway's ancestor to simultaneously be a former astronaut candidate and that destitute, implausible for the information to be described as "lost to history" entirely as opposed to someone exaggerating in her family's albums. It also dragged on for 45 minutes when it could've had less than half the run length. I liked the "station wagon explorer" concept, but the novelty of that takes only a minute to show. It also could've been shown alongside other crew members' ancestor's histories, in the style of how some shows have an episode where they tie together a series of shorts with a frame narrative. That'd have been too expensive for the budget, because they'd have to have had multiple sets for too little time, so the most they could do was have each crew member talk for less than a minute.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

galenanorth posted:

It seemed implausible for Janeway's ancestor to simultaneously be a former astronaut candidate and that destitute, implausible for the information to be described as "lost to history" entirely as opposed to someone exaggerating in her family's albums.

To be fair, between then and Voyager, WWIII happened and killed everybody, not that you'd know it from watching Voyager.

"And Captain, we've found this picture from 2050 of your ancestor surrounded by all her children and grandchildren. Her daughter, as you can see, has radiation burns, her son (that's your ancestor) lost large parts of his body to an Eastern Coalition hunter-seeker drone mine, and her granddaughter there is a mutant with two heads. They're sitting in what used to be Portage Creek's park before a fusion bomb that hit Indianapolis spread radioactive ash that destroyed all the plantlife."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Production has apparently started on the Picard show. :toot:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

About how long from start of production does it take a show to air?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Technowolf posted:

About how long from start of production does it take a show to air?

Depends on if they still film the backend episodes while the first few air, but Anson Mount said at a Con appearance that filming for S2 of DISCO took 10 months, and it was something like 2-3 weeks to film an episode, plus pickups after.

I had heard TPS will be on in the fall though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought it already had?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

So what's the name of it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

So what's the name of it.

CBS filed trademarks for Star Trek: Destiny, ST: Revolution, ST: Ceti Alpha V, ST: Reliant, and ST: Starfleet Academy last year. Academy is self-explanatory, and Ceti and Reliant were probably potential names for the aborted Khan miniseries. My money’s on Destiny.

Of course, companies file trademarks for titles they never end up using all the time, so it’s entirely possible it’s none of these.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Star Trek: Enterprise (Patrick Stewart Remix)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm the genius that thought of having "Star Trek Discovery" and "Star Trek Destiny" at the same time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just hope it’s something other than ‘Picard’, because that’s boring as hell.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

"Jean-Luc"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Star Trek: :spock:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure we'll get some great Sarek Katra mindmeld force ghost scenes where he tells Picard all about Michael

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The Bloop posted:

I'm sure we'll get some great Sarek Katra mindmeld force ghost scenes where he tells Picard all about Michael

"wait you had a black daughter"
"wait they had a drive that could teleport across the universe"
"wait who the hell are the kelpians"
"excuse me sarek what is happening"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Astroman posted:

Depends on if they still film the backend episodes while the first few air, but Anson Mount said at a Con appearance that filming for S2 of DISCO took 10 months, and it was something like 2-3 weeks to film an episode, plus pickups after.

I had heard TPS will be on in the fall though.

Wait Anson Mount is in Disco S2? Goddamnit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Orv posted:

You genuinely didn’t know? He’s the best thing in it by absolute parsecs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

You genuinely didn’t know? He’s the best thing in it by absolute parsecs.

I bailed on S1 both when I didn't like the show and when the thread was busy melting down but I'm one of those people that watches stuff for actors so I guess I'm watching that now cause I love that guy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orv posted:

https://i.imgur.com/9PEE5PW.mp4

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Orv posted:

I bailed on S1 both when I didn't like the show and when the thread was busy melting down but I'm one of those people that watches stuff for actors so I guess I'm watching that now cause I love that guy.

He's absolutely the best thing in it and just nails the part.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just watched S2 E1, I still think a lot of it is off-point for a Star Trek show but realistically you can't make TNG/DS9 nowadays so I'm willing to just enjoy the decent parts which seem to be higher in volume than what I saw of S1. I won't poo poo up the wrong thread anymore with it but thanks for letting me know.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Orv posted:

Just watched S2 E1, I still think a lot of it is off-point for a Star Trek show but realistically you can't make TNG/DS9 nowadays so I'm willing to just enjoy the decent parts which seem to be higher in volume than what I saw of S1. I won't poo poo up the wrong thread anymore with it but thanks for letting me know.

Season 2 is definitely a step up, but it's still got its flaws. The characters are much better drawn but unfortunately the season-long plot arc suffers from a bad case of makes-no-sense-itis. Anson Mount (Pike) and Doug Jones (Saru) are the best things going for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Season 2 is definitely a step up, but it's still got its flaws. The characters are much better drawn but unfortunately the season-long plot arc suffers from a bad case of makes-no-sense-itis. Anson Mount (Pike) and Doug Jones (Saru) are the best things going for it.

Also Tig Notaro.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So far the official title is "Untitled Picard Show."

So ST:UPS :v:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s Picard as a flute player in a Starfleet jazz band.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

It’s Picard as a flute player in a Starfleet jizz band.

Fixed for SW crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gonz posted:

It’s Picard as a flute player in a Starfleet jazz band.