Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
i need to get a new phone this year regardless, but it'd be nice if it has the iPad Pro design aesthetic with the flat edges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hold off for the forthcoming iphone fold with all-new folding technology we think you're going to love

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Scott Forstall posted:

i need to get a new phone this year regardless, but it'd be nice if it has the iPad Pro design aesthetic with the flat edges

yeah I would really like the return to flat edges tbqh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

like what? i have one and it holds my phone up and charges it while i sleep

same op

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

poty posted:

in a few years most cars will be electric so nobody will hear them come anyway

i'm genuinely fearful of this future, are there laws in any place to force electric cars to make at least some noise?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i walk a lot of places and getting behind the wheel of a car turns you into a sociopath

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i walk a lot of places and getting behind the wheel of a car turns you into a sociopath

it's amazing how that happens

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

also if the leaks are true it seems like they are giving into the "moar megapixels is better" marketing line. there is absolutely no reason to have 12mp in such a small sensor and they would be much better off with larger and less noisy pixels.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

phew

https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/13651106/electric-car-noise-nhtsa-rule-blind-pedestrian-safety

quote:

The new rule requires all newly manufactured electric vehicles 10,000 pounds or less to make an audible noise when traveling forward or in reverse at speeds 19 mph or less.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i'm genuinely fearful of this future

same theres a bunch of priuii in the apt parking lot and theyre loving silent

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

butt dickus posted:

like what? i have one and it holds my phone up and charges it while i sleep

it’s honestly just a bunch of gimmicks like being able to choose different interfaces while docked with larger controls like google assistant and music and digital picture frame but that’s exactly the kind of dumb gimmicky stuff i’d like. i cook a lot and i play music through a bluetooth speaker so having it have a dock mode where the screen is always on with music controls is exactly my use case

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

hybrid vehicles are the most dangerous while riding a bike. you can’t hear them rolling out of side streets or from behind if they’re not using the gas engine and it’s scary as poo poo

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
lmao that we can make cars produce almost no noise pollution, but are requiring manufacturers not to do so.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

i'm genuinely fearful of this future, are there laws in any place to force electric cars to make at least some noise?

Yes. But as someone living in a city, I can't wait for everything to be less noisy. Cars are extremely loud.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

there's enough tire noise that I've never had a problem knowing a hybrid car was on approach

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The bigger concern I have is letting people customize their e-car sound.

Ringtones are bad enough.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Doc Block posted:

lmao that we can make cars produce almost no noise pollution, but are requiring manufacturers not to do so.

you figured it out, there are only two kinds of noises: deafening and whisper

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shifty Pony posted:

gonna hack my ev to make a continuous whoopie cushion noise at low speeds

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

you figured it out, there are only two kinds of noises: deafening and whisper

:jerkbag:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

there's enough tire noise that I've never had a problem knowing a hybrid car was on approach

same. we don’t need to add fake engine sounds or beeping or whatever.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Lambert posted:

Running is rolling coal, but for humans. Pure waste of energy.

i also think that maintaining my physique and being healthy and in good shape is a pure waste of energy

that’s why I am 900lbs and double reverse diabetic

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

why are electric cars still not making the sound from the j'éteins

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i also think that maintaining my physique and being healthy and in good shape is a pure waste of energy

You should get back to selling gym memberships.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

https://youtu.be/n17B_uFF4cA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

have none of you ever heard the weird little prius warble they all make in EV mode? that's a purely synthetic sound meant to warn pedestrians

like, priuses are everywhere, man. it's 2019. how are people unfamiliar with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PliPyvcbUU&t=31s

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 23, 2019

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
none of the ones in my apt lot warble

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah ive never heard a prius do that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

2012 is the first prius in the us to have the sound thing i think. there are a lottt of pre-2012s on the road. incl mine :)

e: also i've never heard it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you all are weird. i hear it basically every day.

maybe people in your cities drive too fast? it only happens below 20mph iirc

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yosposters are all half to fully deaf from having earphones in all day long

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
WHAT?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just fully dumb from reading your posts

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Doc Block posted:

evs generate just as much highway noise as gas cars because at high speeds its not the engine generating the noise. cars going 15 mph are not a meaningful source of noise pollution to begin with.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

hello mr president

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i listen to music all the time downtown, i never worry about cars because i just y'know

remember when i was 5 and told to look both ways and not jaywalk [unless you can get away with it]

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
can i get a hat warble

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/23/apple-stores-prioritizing-mac-keyboard-repairs/

lol so this means either two things

A: The amount of keyboard repairs was leading to so many dissatisfied customers that it's causing some % of lost sales. This is a way to try and limit that, since it's just one day- right? No big deal!!!
B: The amount of keyboard repairs was backlogging the repair centres doing more heavy duty stuff.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/23/apple-stores-prioritizing-mac-keyboard-repairs/

lol so this means either two things

A: The amount of keyboard repairs was leading to so many dissatisfied customers that it's causing some % of lost sales. This is a way to try and limit that, since it's just one day- right? No big deal!!!
B: The amount of keyboard repairs was backlogging the repair centres doing more heavy duty stuff.

Steve Jobs would’ve made the people who designed the awful keyboard work in a Genius Bar or repair center fixing them for a week.

Like when the first Apple Store opened and whoops, turned out the flooring chosen by the design team looked good but was super prone to scuffing, and looked so terrible by the end of the first day that Jobs became furious and made them all come in and clean it themselves LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

steve would have just cancelled them and moved back in 2017 and forgot it existed while rumours of him throwing a chair at the person who had designed it swirled around