Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

You have to siege it from outside. Vermintide is rad but doesn't seem that amazing, at least not until you get the upgrade to stormvermin. You also do get a full army for almost free which isn't bad, though when I did it the global recruitment to build them up seemed to cost 10x the normal cost?

Ehhhh that's less good than I hoped, would prefer it if it busted the walls in the settlement at least, would be entirely fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
They do get a catapult and can get another with tech.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

As Ikit you can also use the tactical intercontinental gate and defenders deleter :black101:

I want to confirm that setting off an atomic mine doesn’t start a war. I want a city to complete a province and are not ready to take on the enemy yet.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

alex314 posted:

As Ikit you can also use the tactical intercontinental gate and defenders deleter :black101:

I want to confirm that setting off an atomic mine doesn’t start a war. I want a city to complete a province and are not ready to take on the enemy yet.

It doesn't, I never warred with the wood elves but deleted all their forests with nukes. Of course, the negative hero action stuff from establishing underempires could cause them to declare war.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

RoyalScion posted:

It doesn't, I never warred with the wood elves but deleted all their forests with nukes. Of course, the negative hero action stuff from establishing underempires could cause them to declare war.

Thanks! It crawled from the neighbouring settlement, so no issues there.
I’ve build the Lab of DOOM under Lothern and I’m stealing sweet elf-bucks. What other towns are good targets in Vortex campaing? Naggarond?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

alex314 posted:

Thanks! It crawled from the neighbouring settlement, so no issues there.
I’ve build the Lab of DOOM under Lothern and I’m stealing sweet elf-bucks. What other towns are good targets in Vortex campaing? Naggarond?

Faction capitals are always reliable high income targets. Itza is also good since it’s a full 10 slot city, but it has a tendency to change hands

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Decided to send Ikit north to burn the Dark Elves to the ground. Tried to lay an ambush for Morathi but she dodges it and attacks me with two full stacks. I preview the battlefield and it's a lizardman temple map with a single bridge leading to my army.

I have two ratlings, three Jezzails, two Warpfire cannons, an engineer and Ikit on a Doomwheel. Oh, and some Doomflayers and Rogres and Stormvermin but they're not really gonna help. This will be a fun massacre.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its crazy how bad non skryre stuff is on ikit's army. I had to throw my rogers in the trash and replace them with flayers which are strictly better. I could see it being the opposite way if they gave all the rats the same treatment.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I still have some Skavenslaves in Ikit’s army. He’s at level 32, rocks 4 Plagueclaw Catapults, 2 Jezzails and 4 Ratling guns. A speedbump is a speedbump, no need to get fancy.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
disagree. At high end you can pretty much summon roadblocks plus flayers are pretty small so they absorb less friendly fire!

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

Just got an update stating that the launcher has been fixed to support more than 1 mod at a time again

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
They are going to have to do a pass to bring every faction that isn't Skaven up to Skaven levels tbh, this one hit it almost too far out of the park

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

You have to siege it from outside. Vermintide is rad but doesn't seem that amazing, at least not until you get the upgrade to stormvermin.

Such a reality would have certainly made Vermintide 1 a tad easier, albeit boring!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did they definitely say no more new races for WH2, or is it more reading tea leaves what is gonna happen?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fangz posted:

Did they definitely say no more new races for WH2, or is it more reading tea leaves what is gonna happen?

They stated it in no unclear terms and Grace_CA spammed Reddit with it - "we only have Lord packs planned from here on out" (paraphrasing, but it was pretty clear cut)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Crotch posted:

Give them a mechanic where you get to pet demigryphs and tell them they're all good boys and girls.

I’d buy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQvVbI8R8s

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re: Me playing MP on Vortex as Ikit vs a friend playing as Skink Moses:

Thank you for all of the replies yesterday...

Dartonus posted:

I’d personally spec Ikit for Warp Lightning, because as mentioned he can get down to a cost of 2 Winds with a 1 second recharge and gets a skill that gives him +armor and regen while casting.

If my Tehenhauin campaign is anything to go by the Skaven will start losing ground once he triggers the hellwar, so be ready for that.

Both of you want the other guy to cluster up, you because of Doomrockets, him because of Jungle Swarm/Flock of Doom/the Ark of Sotek he starts with - once you get to your weapons teams make sure they’re spread out so he can’t get all of them in one AoE.

Edit: from my versus campaigns with friends, one of the biggest threats is just that you can take control of the AI armies and do things they might not expect - as a human, you can consider that he won’t be able to replace the Ark for a long time if you snipe it, and you can really hamstring early development by taking out the right unit (example: I once managed to eliminate my friend’s starting Tomb Scorpion in an early battle with him as Arkhan against an AI force).
Clan Fester will probably chuck multiple stacks at him quickly (I fought 3 on turn 5 or 6), so taking manual control there and making sure you don’t blob on his frontline but instead abuse your numbers to wrap around should go far. Fester’s starting armies are surprisingly punchy too, the stacks I fought had 1 or 2 units of rat ogres and I know that one of their starting armies (not present in that battle) has multiple stormvermin.
Chucking an agent down there to just spam Block Army (Warlock Engineer) or Assault Units (Assassin iirc) on his main stack is easy and fun (not for him). As Skaven you can underway and he can’t, so Block Army will just skew the mobility advantage even more in your favor. Be aware of the possibility of Underway Interception though.
Yeah I love spamming Warp Lightning as Ikit so I'll make sure to keep doing that.

He has told me about he spams Flock of Doom so I will definitely make sure to spread out well.

He definitely wants to control the AI armies we each face so I am looking forward to trying new things and making sure to be a dick about going after his premier units.

I had not thought of sending an agent to gently caress with him and that sounds fantastic so I will definitely get right on that. Though it seems like the Star Tower start in Vortex is not nearly as good as Skavenblight so that may throw me for a loop and make it harder to get agents going early.

Hunt11 posted:

You should be able to make his life a living hell when it comes to Clan Fester.
Based on everything else people have been posting about the tough start for Skink Moses, yeah I imagine so. I'm looking forward to it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you are Ikit and you are facing skink moses, you will win easily.
The problem is that he is good and I am....maybe not "bad" but "not great". He probably has double the time in just WHTW2 than I do and has played every TW game, while I hadnt played since Medieval 2 before I got WHTW2. We are doing this setup so I have a bit of an intrinsic advantage so he doesnt steamroll me.

Fangz posted:

I kinda suspect you wanna veto taking control of AI armies, because both of you can be huge dicks to each other. If he's more experienced than you at the game he can probably hurt you harder than you can hurt him. Like, say goodbye to your starting jezzails.
As I mentioned when replying to Dartonus, we are controlling our enemies armies. I am planning on being an absolute coward at the beginning until I get a full army going so I can preserve my Jezzails and Ratling Gunners. Instead of bumrushing the Vampirate army that is my initial/turn 1 fight, I am going to go into ambush stance right outside my town to hopefully draw the AI in, and I'll be recruiting some Skavenslaves to fill out my ranks.

team overhead smash posted:

Ikit is all about gun units, so make sure you're comfortable with how gun line of site works. In the vortex campaign the second Vampire Coast army you fight can be tough, with something like five mortars, but it's a piece of cake if you make sure you get an ambush off on it as you can destroy the mortars straight away.
I love gunlines and ambushes so thank you for this. I've pulled off some amazing poo poo against AI armies with a good 4 Ratling Gun-gunline so I am hoping that if I can do a decent job controlling the armies I fight (via having a support army of chaff and/or ambushes) I can leverage gunlines well.
One of my favorite armies is Empire Free Company and Handgunners. Skaven work a bit different than that but it helped me get familiar with the concept.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 24, 2019

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

You have to siege it from outside. Vermintide is rad but doesn't seem that amazing, at least not until you get the upgrade to stormvermin.

It takes a lot of scheming and long-gaming, and I only did it once for the novelty (because it really is tedious to orchestrate), but a really fun way to take out an opposing faction is to time your vermintides to spawn simultaneously on all of their cities, and have your existing armies all swarm in at the same time. I did it to Karak Azul as Clan Mors the other night and it was super satisfying. Hadn't been at war with them and in fact they really liked me due to how badly I was beating up Greenskins, then oops, war declared, and there's a skaven stack outside every single one of your settlements (I think they had 8 or 9 at the time) and another 6 just underway-ed into your province. Wiped out an entire faction that was top-10 in power in two or three turns.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It takes a lot of scheming and long-gaming, and I only did it once for the novelty (because it really is tedious to orchestrate), but a really fun way to take out an opposing faction is to time your vermintides to spawn simultaneously on all of their cities, and have your existing armies all swarm in at the same time. I did it to Karak Azul as Clan Mors the other night and it was super satisfying. Hadn't been at war with them and in fact they really liked me due to how badly I was beating up Greenskins, then oops, war declared, and there's a skaven stack outside every single one of your settlements (I think they had 8 or 9 at the time) and another 6 just underway-ed into your province. Wiped out an entire faction that was top-10 in power in two or three turns.
This sounds amazing, especially later on in a game when the Vermintide is more robust.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Azran posted:

They stated it in no unclear terms and Grace_CA spammed Reddit with it - "we only have Lord packs planned from here on out" (paraphrasing, but it was pretty clear cut)

Yeah. With 3K finishing up and looking like it might underperform in sales, they're gearing up for full speed on WH3 development and so they aren't going to do any ambitious DLC that would require significantly branching the code and potentially causing another massive Norsca style fiasco. Whatever plans they might have had at some point, they're out of time to implement them.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 24, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

You have to siege it from outside. Vermintide is rad but doesn't seem that amazing, at least not until you get the upgrade to stormvermin. You also do get a full army for almost free which isn't bad, though when I did it the global recruitment to build them up seemed to cost 10x the normal cost?

It's fine for setting up to take small garrisons until it's upgraded, can grab the good units out of the group to give to your better stacks and disband the rest after they do their job of taking the city and maybe settling or searching nearby ruins for you.

But it'll probably be 120+ turns until you've gotten the stormvermin upgrade online.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SickZip posted:

Yeah. With 3K finishing up and looking like it might underperform in sales,
It is?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It uh... Doesn't look very good

I'll probably still get it day 1 though

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Is there anywhere to track pre-order sales and similar, or is this just a general feeling/response from the community?

I've pre-ordered because I'll mindlessly consume all Three Kingdoms related media. Dynasty Warriors has ruined me :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't think I'll play 3K, specifically because I prefer the fantastical things in WH like magic and flying units and demons and junk. I think CA made a deal with the devil with WH. They made more money than ever before but I don't think they're gonna be able to compete with WH's success with historical titles, and they're only now realizing that.

Hopefully they can license other, good IPs like LOTR or something. Or just keep on doing WH forever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jokes posted:

They made more money than ever before but I don't think they're gonna be able to compete with WH's success with historical titles, and they're only now realizing that.

Hopefully they can license other, good IPs like LOTR or something. Or just keep on doing WH forever.
I know that I wont be able to go back to a historical title without a good hook - the Warhammer games are just too fun with their differentiated gameplay options with different races/factions. If they can keep putting out quality like the Priest & Warlock or whatever they called it I will keep buying it.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

SickZip posted:

Yeah. With 3K finishing up and looking like it might underperform in sales, they're gearing up for full speed on WH3 development and so they aren't going to do any ambitious DLC that would require significantly branching the code and potentially causing another massive Norsca style fiasco. Whatever plans they might have had at some point, they're out of time to implement them.

The new diplomacy in 3K looks rad. They've baked-in actual difference between the lords and tech trees. It's looking more varied than Attila and a WHOLE lot more interesting than Thrones of Britannia.

Get a grip.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I know that I wont be able to go back to a historical title without a good hook - the Warhammer games are just too fun with their differentiated gameplay options with different races/factions. If they can keep putting out quality like the Priest & Warlock or whatever they called it I will keep buying it.
Same, as long as they stay the hell away from the End Times or Age of Sigmar.

edit: in fact it's a real shame. GW in their infinite wisdom* decided to blow up the Old World / WHFB literally months before the single biggest publicity boost it's ever had at any point in its entire life, and one that's still rolling three years later.

*idiocy

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 24, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think 3K will do just fine. Probably not as well as WH, but so long as CA plans for that it’s all good. The wildcard is going to be how it does in China - will it be approved for official sale? If not will it be cracked down on in the Steam grey market? I’ll probably buy it even if not on release because the campaign mechanics look neat.

Also I think Total Warham could be a redemption of the End Times. Bring on some of the cool new characters and units but ignore all the lovely storylines because it’s still a sandbox.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
CA should add the fish aelves that ride sharks from AoS. They can be shipbuilding hordes but instead of ships, it’s giant turtles.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Perfect Twist posted:

The new diplomacy in 3K looks rad. They've baked-in actual difference between the lords and tech trees. It's looking more varied than Attila and a WHOLE lot more interesting than Thrones of Britannia.

Get a grip.

The quality of a total war game has very little to do with how it sells. Their 2 best selling titles are Rome 2 and Empire. Both of which were non-functional at release and one of which is still barely functional. This is not just a matter of hype and super high opening day sales either, these titles stayed selling even after everyone knew they were janky as gently caress.

People buy these games when the setting/era catches their attention and the number of their potential customers who know or care who Cao Cao is is low. Unless the game really takes off in China, it's odds for success are poor

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SickZip posted:

The quality of a total war game has very little to do with how it sells. Their 2 best selling titles are Rome 2 and Empire. Both of which were non-functional at release and one of which is still barely functional. This is not just a matter of hype and super high opening day sales either, these titles stayed selling even after everyone knew they were janky as gently caress.

People buy these games when the setting/era catches their attention and the number of their potential customers who know or care who Cao Cao is is low. Unless the game really takes off in China, it's odds for success are poor

I think you are underestimating how many people are aware of the three kingdoms era and are excited about what they can do with it.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Zephro posted:

Same, as long as they stay the hell away from the End Times or Age of Sigmar.

edit: in fact it's a real shame. GW in their infinite wisdom* decided to blow up the Old World / WHFB literally months before the single biggest publicity boost it's ever had at any point in its entire life, and one that's still rolling three years later.

*idiocy

I'd play an Age of Sigmar game. Mainly just for the flying steampunk dwarves though. The story in Age of Sigmar sucks, but I play Total War games mostly for the battles, so I think it'd be a perfectly fun game with lots of variety in the armies.

I will also probably buy 3k but I've been playing RoTK games since the first one came out on the NES back in the 80's.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 24, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel like I'm going crazy because those AoS dorf designs are one of my most hated but I keep seeing people claim they're good. :argh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

I feel like I'm going crazy because those AoS dorf designs are one of my most hated but I keep seeing people claim they're good. :argh:

I change my mind on them, both the steampunk ones and the naked ones, every time I see them.

The spooky ghost faction definitely rules.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SickZip posted:

I mean dynasty warriors is loosely set in the three kingdoms and they managed to make like a dozen of those games

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Mordja posted:

Duardin™ Fyreslayers™ vs KyllMurdar™ Murdarkyllers™

I can't get over AoS's epic shittery as a setting. It's basically a power metal album cover that's mutated into an entire setting. It's the 5-hour guitar solo of fantasy universes.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 24, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Anno posted:

I think 3K will do just fine. Probably not as well as WH, but so long as CA plans for that it’s all good. The wildcard is going to be how it does in China - will it be approved for official sale? If not will it be cracked down on in the Steam grey market? I’ll probably buy it even if not on release because the campaign mechanics look neat.

Also I think Total Warham could be a redemption of the End Times. Bring on some of the cool new characters and units but ignore all the lovely storylines because it’s still a sandbox.

I like a lot of the mechanical ideas they're having for 3K, such as diplomacy being a thing that matters, but the fundamental issue I'm struggling with is that it's going to be rough as gently caress to go from a game where every faction has its own entirely unique roster, wildly varying gameplay styles, unique mechanics, and huge visual style changes back to a game where every faction are basically just dudes with spears and swords and bows and the fundamental difference between factions is that faction A has good swords and faction B has good spears and faction C has good bows - and I say this as someone who loves historical content and reads history books for fun.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

I like a lot of the mechanical ideas they're having for 3K, such as diplomacy being a thing that matters, but the fundamental issue I'm struggling with is that it's going to be rough as gently caress to go from a game where every faction has its own entirely unique roster, wildly varying gameplay styles, unique mechanics, and huge visual style changes back to a game where every faction are basically just dudes with spears and swords and bows and the fundamental difference between factions is that faction A has good swords and faction B has good spears and faction C has good bows - and I say this as someone who loves historical content and reads history books for fun.

This game could be a test to see if they can keep on doing historical games. As in can they make enough campaign differences in terms of how factions play that even having similar units isn't actually an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kanos posted:

Yeah I find that Rome 2 is the only historical I tend to return to when I have a historical itch because there's a bit more roster diversity, but ultimately it still doesn't hold a candle to Warhammer, and unless you're playing one of the cavalry-only factions the game basically turns into building armies of the heaviest possible infantry + artillery to force the enemy to march across the field and get slaughtered by your borderline invincible infantry.

To be fair I tend to play that way in Warhammer too, it's basically the Dwarfs MO, but even then it's not the same. If you're playing as the Romans you don't have to worry about dragons flying over your legions to torch your ballistas directly or a giant ball of lightning ripping a hole in your lines.