Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Dazerbeams posted:

Yeah, cut King some slack. Dude had a serious brush with death and tried to do right by his fans. That's more than can be said for GRRM. The last few books of the Dark Tower series might have been terrible but at least it was an ending.

...but it wasn't an ending...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crow Jane posted:

I feel like both of the Tyrell women on the show were pretty perfect. And idk, I find Cersei's elephant fixation and weird friendship with Qyburn sort of endearing.

I love how Qyburn's just rolling with everything that's happening

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Him picking up that moving wight arm is a great little moment

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I love how Qyburn's just rolling with everything that's happening

I hope when whatever happens in Kings Landing actually goes down Cersei runs to his room in the castle to find him for advice or whatever and he's just gone out the window and is speeding away on a primitive speedboat powered by either the mountain or wildfire.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

some guy on the bus posted:

At least GRRM didn't write himself into the story.

Sam though

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

...but it wasn't an ending...

It's King. What were you possibly hoping for?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sam eventually gets buff

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sam eventually gets buff

Yeah, and he gets a hot girlfriend who he saves from sex slavery, and he gets to know everything because he's got the superpower of reading books, and he kills white walkers and poo poo.

Sounds like a standard author self-insert to me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure Hodor was his self insert

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hot Pocket is his insert.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What about that fat gently caress who eats Frey pies

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Alec Eiffel posted:

What about that fat gently caress who eats Frey pies

Is that the same fat gently caress who's too fat to ride a horse?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Nothing stopping someone from having multiple inserts. One for his love of books, one for his love of carrying children, and one for his love of food.

thebardyspoon posted:

I hope when whatever happens in Kings Landing actually goes down Cersei runs to his room in the castle to find him for advice or whatever and he's just gone out the window and is speeding away on a primitive speedboat powered by either the mountain or wildfire.
The Mountain, but he's a jet rocket ski firing wildfire flames out his rear end.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He had such a look of childlike wonder on his face :allears:. I know he's an evil torturer and whatnot, but I dig Qyburn.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

ijii posted:

I wonder why after 3 greatly successful seasons of GoT GRRM didn't have the motivation to put more time in his books. I wonder how much input GRRM had in these last two seasons to keep it somewhat in line with what he was thinking. Either way, GoT has been a fun and interesting experiment.

GRRM hasn't had anything to do with the show at all for the past few seasons, though he has recently said that the books will have the same ending as the show apart from what happens to some minor characters.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Something tells me he still has that hand in a glass jar

E: I'm a dummy. Well he would if Jon hadn't ruined his new toy

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 25, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

That man has the worst voice I've ever heard

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Serious answer, I think Grrm's self insert is Lord Manderlay. The fat guy who eats people.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I thought his self insertion character was Jorah Mormont because it sounds kinda like George R Martin said in a stupid voice with your mouth full

e: also an incel

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 25, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wyman Manderly is probably his self-insert (fat gently caress that everybody mocks but he just does it as a front to hide how smart and cunning he is)

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Wyman_Manderly

But uh... Stephen King literally inserted himself as Stephen King the book author in Dark Tower so there's no comparison at all.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Galaxy Brain: The Spice King is his self-insert

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
He's blatantly Tyrion

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A Dream of Spring will reveal that it was in fact Cersei that was the gurm-insert

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Galaxy Brain: The Spice King is his self-insert

He loving wishes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

some guy on the bus posted:

At least GRRM didn't write himself into the story. And it would have been better if Dark Tower didn't have a ending than what we got.

The villain's name is King though :cheeky:

E: whoops. Misread this.

You can argue that Sam is a GRRM insert heavily.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
GRRM is Strong Belwas except not strong

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm pretty sure GRRM came out and said he mary sues himself as Tyrion and that Arya is his favorite character

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

I thought his self insertion character was Jorah Mormont because it sounds kinda like George R Martin said in a stupid voice with your mouth full

e: also an incel

Grum is not an incel though. As we learned in this thread, he got a urinary tract infection railing his girlfriend's rear end

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Opferwurst posted:

Grum is not an incel though. As we learned in this thread, he got a urinary tract infection railing his girlfriend's rear end

Maybe not now, but there's a suspicious amount of incelitude in Westeros. In order to to read books you need to take a vow celibacy , in order to live like an idiot on the wall you need to take a vow of celibacy, etc

e: I guess that's volcel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Opferwurst posted:

:yikes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Delthalaz posted:

Maybe not now, but there's a suspicious amount of incelitude in Westeros. In order to to read books you need to take a vow celibacy , in order to live like an idiot on the wall you need to take a vow of celibacy, etc

No, Sam and Mormont Sr clarify that you just can’t take a wife or father children. The Watch fucks.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's nothing wrong with railing an rear end if it's consensual, relax

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

There's a thriving brothel just south of the wall in a village called Mole's Town.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Maesters gently caress too. Everyone's loving all the time!!

I seem to recall GRRM saying in an interview that although he likes to think he'd be Tyrion in the world he created, he realizes that he'd probably be Sam. So I guess they're both inserts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wyman Manderly is probably his self-insert (fat gently caress that everybody mocks but he just does it as a front to hide how smart and cunning he is)

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Wyman_Manderly

But uh... Stephen King literally inserted himself as Stephen King the book author in Dark Tower so there's no comparison at all.

Since we’re never getting another book I’m grateful that the shown confirmed the Frey pie theory.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
GRRM burns to death in his hovel after the Mountain torches it in book 1.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He really seems to like his world building stuff more than continuing the main story.

Which I can't really blame him for. Every babby nerd dreams of being able to create a fantasy world with the depth and detail that Tolkien managed and GRRM is one of only a handful of people that have ever come close.

GRRM is far less invested in world building than Tolkien.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/04/11/just-write-it

New Yorker posted:

Martin told me that many of his fans assume that he is as meticulous a world-builder as Tolkien was. “They write to say, ‘I’m fascinated by the languages. I would like to do a study of High Valyrian’ ”—an ancient tongue. “ ‘Could you send me a glossary and a dictionary and the syntax?’ I have to write back and say, ‘I’ve invented seven words of High Valyrian.’ ”

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RudeCat posted:

Maesters gently caress too. Everyone's loving all the time!!

Not Jorah :smith:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JHomer722 posted:

GRRM is far less invested in world building than Tolkien.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/04/11/just-write-it

roughly the same amount of words he's written for Winds of Winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

not a bot posted:

GRRM hasn't had anything to do with the show at all for the past few seasons,

That's not really true. He stopped writing scripts but he still consults.