Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Vengarr posted:

He placed a teleporter pad on both sides of an airbridge and then welded/dropped the bolts on all the doors. People would run up, realize the doors were sealed, and run into the teleporter expecting it would take them to the other side. And for a while, it did. Which helps build trust that can later be exploited.

Then he built the trap out in space. Just three tiles, walls to seal them in, a teleporter pad, and graviton traps that fling anyone who walks on them into a crusher.

After he built his crusher trap out in space, he rerouted the teleporters to lead to his trap...one-way. So people would walk into the teleporters and get insta-mulched.

Magical.

I really need to learn construction and engineering stuff.

So far Chem is my jam (along with being an extremely dumb captain with terrible ideas for crew activities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Well, I have finally decided to bite the bullet and try playing. Should I try when its highpop like now, or wait for a slower time so I can have a chance to learn maybe?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Join highpop and announce that you're new. There's a 50/50 chance you'll either be taken in by someone who will teach you more in a single round than you'd learn in months alone or be brutally murdered.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rynoto posted:

or be brutally murdered.

AKA, teaching you more in a single round then you'd learn in months alone :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
In all seriousness the game has had so many years worth of complexity heaped onto it that attempting to start fresh without help will just lead to frustration.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I've been playing a bit over a week now and just committed my first proper accidental war crime and melted half of medbay.

Smoke powder and pre-heated chemicals is a bad idea.

Doubly so if its in an artifact beaker packed with various goodies you've been brewing for a cent-com party favor/ghost creating event.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

So if one had a fun round idea as captain, but needed admin assistance to pull it off, how would one go about asking?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

So if one had a fun round idea as captain, but needed admin assistance to pull it off, how would one go about asking?

Prayer?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Prayer is the answer.

I prayed for Uranium once...
I expected a pill to appear.
Nope - got a bucket of liquid uranium poured on me!

Thanks benevolent spacegods!

Made a lot of tasty voltagen with that.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do prayers just get read by an admin and they decide on something? If you pray for something obscene like werewolf serum grenades is there a chance you can get it?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Prayer is a giant beacon to the gods signalling "I am bored and have nothing better to do, please gently caress with me."

Rarely does that ever involve giving the prayer exactly what they want with no drawbacks.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Once during an overnight round, I rolled chaplain and realized I hadn't really planned a gimmick, so I prayed for assistance and got a trumpet that, when played, harmlessly skeletonized everyone in earshot in a burst of gibs. I then decided that flesh must be where sin is kept, and proceeded to cleanse the station of sin by making everyone into spooky skeletons. So, all in all a pretty good round.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inadequately posted:

Prayer is a giant beacon to the gods signalling "I am bored and have nothing better to do, please gently caress with me."

Rarely does that ever involve giving the prayer exactly what they want with no drawbacks.

It's more like lighting a signal flare into the realm of sleeping Old Gods. Their True Names are unknowable and unspeakable, their designs are cruel and malicious, and attracting their interest will either empower you with great cruelty to inflict on others or have great cruelty wrought upon you for disturbing them.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rynoto posted:

Join highpop and announce that you're new. There's a 50/50 chance you'll either be taken in by someone who will teach you more in a single round than you'd learn in months alone or be brutally murdered.

Or both. I've taught newbie engineers the basics of engine operation and maintenance before offering them a closer view and feeding them into a furnace as traitor CE.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's been a while since I've played this and much longer since it was on goonstation. While I'm no stranger to diving in unprepared and watching the fun, anything it's good to know to start with for how the basics of goonstation work since the last, like, five years?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Click on the other spaceman until it is dead

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I once prayed to be really annoying and I was given that mutation that makes your text GIANT BOLD CAPS.

I talked endlessly about nothing over the radio until someone came to the radio station to murder me.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Sent this story to my friend who doesn't play ss13 about what happened last night and thought the thread might enjoy it too:

I hopped on last night and noticed nobody was playing security officer (cop). I had never played it before so I decided why not give it a shot since one incompetent sec is better than none. Well, literally within the first 2 minutes of walking into the station from arrivals, I got injected with a mindslave implant which meant I had to follow the commands of the traitor who injected me, a mechanic named Stephen Colbert.

He told me to arrest someone, and I flashed them and managed to figure out how to cuff them before they got up. The told me I didn't say what I arrested them for, so I told them "troublemaking". They had been messing around with teleportation, so they were upset that I apparently considered that worthy of being arrested.

Following Stephen with the captive as he instructed, he took us to the airlocks, where he told me to remove her earpiece (i didn't know how to do that so he did it himself when I didn't do it right away) and throw her into space.

Well, I've never thrown anyone in ss13 before so I tried some obvious things but couldn't get it to work. Went to type `say "how do I do that"` but I didn't have focus in the text box (in retrospect I should have used `ooc` or something)
which meant when I typed the `s` I walked down and out of the airlock, dropping my captive and drifting off into space. Naturally, I collided with the scaffolding that was outside the station and was able to jump back to the airlock and into the station again but uhhh my master was not pleased.

Eventually I ran back into him and he offered me a cigarette. I thanked him for it, knowing full well that it was probably going to blow me up or poison me when I lit the thing. Still, master knows best. I went to medbay to get my frozen-in-space damage healed up then made my way to the bar to find a lighter.

Got one out of a vending machine, Stephen Colbert is there at the bar, he sees me buying the thing and sitting at the bar. He moves away very quickly as I light the thing and take the first drag. And as expected the thing blows up, gibbing my foot off and killing the person sitting next to me.
I hobble to medbay to get patched up, and as they are doing that, Stephen shows up and blows up medbay, nearly absolutely destroying me.

It is at this point that the mindslave implant has worn off

So here I am, barely conscious muttering things about Stephen Colbert taking over my brain as a surviving doctor tries to patch me up in the darkness of the now obliterated medbay.

Eventually I get fixed up including getting a new foot stapled on. So I begin looking for that Colbert bastard. Run into him a couple times but he gets away.

Eventually the shuttle is called and someone drags in a port-a-brig, and I can hear the grumblings of Stephen Colbert coming from inside. Thank goodness someone knew what they were doing.

The person and I drag the port-a-brig into the sec-only chamber of the shuttle, waiting to arrive at central and for the round to end.

Suddenly, someone from the passenger cabin opens the sec door, pulls Stephen out of the brig, and then Stephen sprints out of sec cabin and out of the airlock, sending himself into the void of hyperspace.

Turns out his last objective was to die. Good for him.

And that was my first time playing sec

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 25, 2019

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Oh man if youd have just lit up next to him id have laughed forever. Good story though

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Oh man if youd have just lit up next to him id have laughed forever. Good story though

was thinking about it but I didn't want an admin to yell at me after I'd already unintentionally disobeyed orders :shobon:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, played a round as scientist, mostly to get a look at chemistry stuff, and then spent half the round slowing figuring out how to make luminol, and succeeding. After that, I walked out of chem, armed with a bottle of luminol, and then promptly got caught in a explosion.

After a man dragged me to safety, managed to put a o2 mask on me and maybe the can for it, i wandered around a bit trying to figure out why I could not pick up the o2 tank i had had in my backpack and then dropped by slipping on a banana peel. A nice robot patched me up, and the upper part of the of the station was being overrun with kudzu, which I would later learn at the end of the game was the product of a traitor botanist. Eventually, the shuttle got called, I actually managed to find it, but was shut out due a fire door that I had no idea how to open. I would spend the last 2 minutes slowly going mad for reasons I'm still not quite sure about, though maybe the lack of oxygen on the way to the shuttle was why.

In any case, it seems clear that its going to take me months to understand anything on more than a very basic level, and that I should try playing captain more and getting in peoples work to try and learn stuff. Or get killed for being nosy, but that sounds like fun too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zoig posted:

So, played a round as scientist, mostly to get a look at chemistry stuff, and then spent half the round slowing figuring out how to make luminol, and succeeding. After that, I walked out of chem, armed with a bottle of luminol, and then promptly got caught in a explosion.

After a man dragged me to safety, managed to put a o2 mask on me and maybe the can for it, i wandered around a bit trying to figure out why I could not pick up the o2 tank i had had in my backpack and then dropped by slipping on a banana peel. A nice robot patched me up, and the upper part of the of the station was being overrun with kudzu, which I would later learn at the end of the game was the product of a traitor botanist. Eventually, the shuttle got called, I actually managed to find it, but was shut out due a fire door that I had no idea how to open. I would spend the last 2 minutes slowly going mad for reasons I'm still not quite sure about, though maybe the lack of oxygen on the way to the shuttle was why.

In any case, it seems clear that its going to take me months to understand anything on more than a very basic level, and that I should try playing captain more and getting in peoples work to try and learn stuff. Or get killed for being nosy, but that sounds like fun too.

A combination of playing, tutoring, and reading the wiki can let you pick things up super fast. My recommendations for new players:

First, play Miner to learn the controls. Miners are useful, hardy, highly appreciated if they actually deliver ore, but non-essential, so no one will miss you if they disappear for the whole round (or die in space). You'll learn how to move around, how to use the hand system, how to set internals and navigate in space--all useful things. The downside is that if you do die miserably in space, you probably won't be revived. Try to get a tracking implant from Research/Security and scream your impending death over the radio, so someone can drag your frozen corpse back to be cloned. While you're dead, try playing as a Ghost Drone to learn how to repair/construct things. Again, ghost drones are very useful but non-essential. People will ignore you, and you are obligated by the rules to ignore them back.

After you have basic controls and concepts down, go Staff Assistant and bug the Captain or HoP for access to whatever department you want to learn. You won't take up a job slot this way, and people will cut you a lot of slack if your ID badge says "Med Student" instead of "Doctor". Make sure to also request a jumpsuit that matches whatever department you're joining, or you'll be seen as just another Grey Menace. Alternatively, if you just want to screw around, the various Civilian jobs are low-responsibility and very non-essential. You can pretty much do whatever the hell you want, so try getting mixed up in other peoples' bullshit. You can go create a cargo cult in Cargo, get shitfaced in the bar and pick fistfights with Security, experiment with making the Omega Weed in Botany, or plumb the profane depths of the Loafer and Deep Fryers...the possibilities are endless.

Once you're comfortable in your skin, turn on the Antagonist roles. Now you are a true spessman.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Vengarr posted:

While you're dead, try playing as a Ghost Drone to learn how to repair/construct things. Again, ghost drones are very useful but non-essential. People will ignore you, and you are obligated by the rules to ignore them back.

After you have basic controls and concepts down, go Staff Assistant and bug the Captain or HoP for access to whatever department you want to learn. You won't take up a job slot this way, and people will cut you a lot of slack if your ID badge says "Med Student" instead of "Doctor". Make sure to also request a jumpsuit that matches whatever department you're joining, or you'll be seen as just another Grey Menace.

These here are good suggestions for people like me who can sort of do a few jobs and/or are still bad with controls. Thanks!! Apparently ghost drones have been around for a few years! Had no idea they even existed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more like lighting a signal flare into the realm of sleeping Old Gods. Their True Names are unknowable and unspeakable, their designs are cruel and malicious, and attracting their interest will either empower you with great cruelty to inflict on others or have great cruelty wrought upon you for disturbing them.

Sometimes, you're granted the almighty strength of old telekinesis so that you can dunk the head of any and all nerds across the station from the camera network.

Other times, your soul is torn out of your body and placed into a toilet so that you can lurch around and devour the head of any and all nerds just the same.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When people say you have to ask the Quartermaster for a thing or get the HoP/Captain to grant you some clearance or something, does that mean you have to go physically find them and ask or is it normally done on the radio?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

When people say you have to ask the Quartermaster for a thing or get the HoP/Captain to grant you some clearance or something, does that mean you have to go physically find them and ask or is it normally done on the radio?

You probably need to submit a formal request in writing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

depends on the context. you can usually ask the QM to order stuff over the radio, but you might want to pick up your cargo in person, and physically stopping by their office for a friendly face-to-face chat will probably increase the chance they actually listen to you.

the HoP/Captain physically needs to be at their computer to give you access, but you'll probably need to ask them over the radio so they actually meet you there.

TheDK posted:

You probably need to submit a formal request in writing

the effort required for this will probably impress most people enough that they'll give you whatever you ask for, tbh

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

counterfeitsaint posted:

One of the best ways to get their attention is to send them a PDA message, since it gives them a BEEP BEEP alert. This is also a good way to ensure Cargo actually orders your poo poo.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

One of the best ways to get their attention is to send them a PDA message, since it gives them a BEEP BEEP alert. This is also a good way to ensure Cargo actually orders your poo poo.

Is detonating their PDA an appropriate escalation when this doesn't work.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Is detonating their PDA an appropriate escalation when this doesn't work.

As a long-term QM, I'll order your poo poo after I get tired of flipping produce crates for mad cash, and if you get impatient then I will do my best to fill your crate with angry wasps.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont like the choose captain or hop advice, because sometimes people get VERY upset if you dare intrude on their sanctum. like I once had a geneticist try to stick me with a blindness needle because I wasnt actually a geneticist but i was hanging out there for a while to give myself comic sans. there was only the one geneticist so like. Who cares right?

Anyway that guy sucked. I guess you can always flash disposal people who are jerks for no reason, or issue them a fine or something

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Larry Parrish posted:

i dont like the choose captain or hop advice, because sometimes people get VERY upset if you dare intrude on their sanctum. like I once had a geneticist try to stick me with a blindness needle because I wasnt actually a geneticist but i was hanging out there for a while to give myself comic sans. there was only the one geneticist so like. Who cares right?

Anyway that guy sucked. I guess you can always flash disposal people who are jerks for no reason, or issue them a fine or something

Take a page out of the dog trainers book, spritzer bottle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalesh posted:

Take a page out of the dog trainers book, spritzer bottle.

Hell, just go to Security and grab a Stun Baton or use the Taser setting on your gun. They'll learn right quick not to mess with your authority.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I just like the spritzer bottle of water because people are so used to them having hellish concoctions in them. Keep the fuckers guessing.

Port and whatever the drug is that makes stuff work on contact in spritzer would probably also be a good "get out of my face" mix that isn't inherently dangerous

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 26, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Larry Parrish posted:

This is why you should always default to "bomb genetics" if you don't know what to do with your traitor rounds.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

This is why you should always default to "bomb genetics" if you don't know what to do with your traitor rounds.

a fun one as traitor geneticist is to just play as normal but put a hilariously painful super gene in the cloner with the gene module. like booster gene, or radioactive, or that combo of incendiary mitochondria which means you're always on fire

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

The cloner was once located in genetics.

In theory, this meant that geneticists were in charge of cloning anyone who got killed. In practice, this meant that geneticists were the final boss you had to fight to get anyone cloned, because if left to their own devices, they would steadfastly ignore anything and everything going on around them while a mountain of corpses piled up outside their door. So you had to break into genetics with the body you wanted to clone, whereupon two psychic hulks would reflexively try to shove you into the reclaimer out of habit.

The cloner is now located outside genetics, and the reclaimer no longer accepts living people.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Inadequately posted:

The cloner is now located outside genetics, and the reclaimer no longer accepts living people.

Well, unless you emag it, or suicide into it. One round, I had just dragged somebody to the cloner and gotten them going when I noticed Jay Wolfe running around with a katana. As the previous couple rounds had also been dumb rampages, I decided not to engage and jumped my rear end into the reclaimer. As it turned out, the machine had run out of biomatter due to a lot of people dying early on and needing to be cloned, and since Jay apparently hosed off more or less right after that without doing the rampage I'd anticipated, people noticed what happened and assumed I'd nobly sacrificed myself for the sake of the crewman being cloned, rather than the reality that I'd just killed myself out of irritation.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still need to figure out how to not have the loving pipes burst every time I do engine stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nalesh posted:

I still need to figure out how to not have the loving pipes burst every time I do engine stuff.

there are two strategies

a: keep the pressure down and avoid starting a pipe fire by not running O2/Plasma mix through them

b: run O2/Plasma through them, start the biggest fire known to man, close all the releases and get the pressure so high that even after every pipe has blown the pressure keeps going up