Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

garycoleisgod posted:

But, we DO know. It has already happened in previous movies like I said.

Undoing the page tear doesn't mean Mads suddenly doesn't have the page and is unable to do his ritual. It just reverts the state of the book. The torn out page remains torn out and in Mads possession.
When Thanos winds back Vision, Vision and the stone are made whole, but it doesn't mean that Wanda never destroyed them. It still happened, the only thing reversed is the effect of the action, the action itself (page being torn out of a book, Wanda killing her boyfriend etc) STILL happened. All time doesn't rewind, just the state of Vision and the stone.

So if Strange does the same thing to Iron Man, if the prior examples hold (and we have nothing else to go on) all that would happen is that the damage to Tony's body would be healed, but the event that caused it (killing Thanos and friends) would still happen.

The real reason this doesn't happen is because it means that events would cease to have any meaning because anything could be fixed. Probably should have thought of that before they created those powers.

It really didn't, SOME things appeared to be reversed, those things are NOT the same things that you're suggested could be reversed. The same movie strongly suggests bad poo poo could have happened so we really don't know. This isn't a plot hole; the rules aren't as clear as you're making them out to be. Hardly enough to definitely say Strange let Stark die for "no" reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

The real reason this doesn't happen is because it means that events would cease to have any meaning because anything could be fixed. Probably should have thought of that before they created those powers.

Both the previous movies and this movie specifically and repeatedly say "This is a bad idea, you shouldn't do this, it has consequences." Every single time. I really don't get why people go "but maybe they could do it without consequences then?!"

Almost every who attempts to use an Infinity Stone gets hosed up by it. Dr. Strange uses it without dying but is told multiple times "dude, you hosed with the natural order of things this will have consequences" and he ends up putting the stone down at the end of his film because of that." The times we see the Time Stone used are mostly on inanimate objects or things that just happened. Somehow this leads to people going 'but Dr. Strange can fix everything without consequences and it'll work great" and like... why? Why do you assume that Dr. Strange can just reverse time with no ill effects when not even his own movie said that?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 28, 2019

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Has the austin powers 2 scene been posted yet

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nazi's and chuds hate him so he's good. ;)

How do I even make a joke about the fact that the "well it makes chuds mad" ideology leads to people advocating for a dude who espouses the values of eugenics

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Raenir Salazar posted:

It really didn't, SOME things appeared to be reversed, those things are NOT the same things that you're suggested could be reversed. The same movie strongly suggests bad poo poo could have happened so we really don't know. This isn't a plot hole; the rules aren't as clear as you're making them out to be. Hardly enough to definitely say Strange let Stark die for "no" reason.

Sorry about the potato quality of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VddDZf6hRPM

There is no reason you couldn't sub Strange in for Thanos and Iron Man in for vision here. You can also see from the clip that Thanos doesn't rewind ALL time, just Vision and the stone. Wanda watches it happen. This is all I'm suggesting happen, that's all.

And while this does let Thanos kill half of all people, this rewind doesn't gently caress up space-time or anything. So they can talk about consequences, but they haven't shown any.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Pirate Jet posted:

How do I even make a joke about the fact that the "well it makes chuds mad" ideology leads to people advocating for a dude who espouses the values of eugenics

The Film Robert, is very bad

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

I legit hate that fat rear end

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Forcing myself to watch even a second of MovieBob, to own the chuds

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

garycoleisgod posted:

But, we DO know. It has already happened in previous movies like I said.

Undoing the page tear doesn't mean Mads suddenly doesn't have the page and is unable to do his ritual. It just reverts the state of the book. The torn out page remains torn out and in Mads possession.
When Thanos winds back Vision, Vision and the stone are made whole, but it doesn't mean that Wanda never destroyed them. It still happened, the only thing reversed is the effect of the action, the action itself (page being torn out of a book, Wanda killing her boyfriend etc) STILL happened. All time doesn't rewind, just the state of Vision and the stone.

So if Strange does the same thing to Iron Man, if the prior examples hold (and we have nothing else to go on) all that would happen is that the damage to Tony's body would be healed, but the event that caused it (killing Thanos and friends) would still happen.

When Strange winds back time to bring back the torn page, two pages now exist yeah? All the stones were part of Tony when he died; based on the Vision scene in Infinity War, rewinding Tony after taking the time stone out of the gauntlet would create another time stone when you bring him back. That doesn't sound safe based on what we know. Wong details the implications of meddling with the time stone's manipulation of the space-time continuum in Doctor Strange: you're breaking poo poo when you do it. We don't know what would happen when you rewind the act of snapping a gauntlet armed with all of the infinity stones. Their properties are probably different than an apple or a piece of parchment.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 28, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

I've noticed that when you like a movie, all of its plot holes can be explained away by theme, but when you don't, the unexplained elements that don't need explanation become plot holes.

Is it more likely that you're above bias, or that you are the one true arbiter of what is and isn't a plot hole?

I’m not talking about plot holes; I don’t believe there is such a thing.

The plot at the end of Endgame, for example, is that Steve Rogers apparently rapes a clone of his dead girlfriend. There’s no plot hole there.

But narratively? Yikes.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

See that’s the issue: people are like “HOLY CHRIST, STEVE PICKED UP THE HAMMER! JESUS GOD IN HEAVEN!” And it’s like... how? What’s changed since last time?

Uh, well, nobody knows.

What changed is that Thor put on weight. The hammer is advertising for Thor. When Steve barely moves the hammer in AoU, it’s not “look how worthy captain America is, he could move the hammer slightly!” It’s “Captain America moved the hammer slightly, which means Thor is hundreds of times more ‘worthy’ than even the great Captain America.”

When Captain America uses the hammer in Endgame, the hammer is trying to imply that even out-of-shape Thor is still as ‘worthy’ as Captain America. All three Thor movies show that Odin is totally a guy who would make a hammer shaped propaganda campaign to prop up the image of his son.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

garycoleisgod posted:

With the SMG posts questioning about why didn't they undo the thing at the end of the film, I agree with him.

He is saying Strange could have used the Time stone to save Tony, but didn't. People are saying this is a bad idea because this would undo the killing of Thanos and his army.

But it wouldn't.

He never had the time stone after he gave it up in Infinity War.

Its Coke posted:

What if someone thinks all the senseless pandering is stupid including the parts for men
IMO, then they should make that argument while understanding why women being pandered to would appeal to them after centuries of women playing bit parts in men's stories.

I'd also like to live in the world where being pandered to seemed gratuitous, but a corporation pandering to people they've historically never pandered to is a sea change that does actually matter. It's only cynicism if we come at it from a position of moral absolutism and not a position of imperfect progress still being good and meaningful.

A civil rights march it aint, but it also means something very important.

Speaking of seemingly small things having bigger meanings...
Putting "chinese woman" or "woman" before the rest of this headline instead of "moviegoer," or somethin' similar is a choice made on the part of the headline-writer that paints a picture of "lol Chinese people," or "women be havin' emotions," and it's irresponsible of that person, who, I should point out, probably wasn't the person who wrote the article.

sponges posted:

She’s posting in this thread from the hospital
I'm completely serious. If you ever need to talk, PM me, and I swear on my father's grave I won't make fun of you for needing to process feelings with a stranger whose opinions don't matter to you, and I'll do so without judgement and in confidence.

That stickied CD post about suicide was kind of a big wake-up call for me and how I argue on the internet. I've been assuming bad faith for a very long time because I see it more often than I can deal with without getting my own brand of cynical, so, if you ever want to talk about poo poo, I'm around.

Again, I'm sorry I told you off, and I can only speak for myself here, but I suspect others are in similar camps when I say that arguing with your propensity to laugh at people who have feelings about movies is part of a broader narrative war America is going through where cynicism is doing battle with optimism and it can get a little triggering and provoke a defensive response when people tell you to stop caring about things, and a thread for a comic book movie feels like a safer arena in which to have that argument than one devoted to actual politics, because it's far more rare, though not unheard of, for people to literally murder one-another about superhero movies.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

teagone posted:

When Strange winds back time to bring back the torn page, two pages now exist yeah? All the stones were part of Tony when he died; based on the Vision scene in Infinity War, rewinding Tony after taking the time stone out of the gauntlet would create another time stone when you bring him back. That doesn't sound safe based on what we know. Wong details the implications of meddling with the time stone's manipulation of the space-time continuum in Doctor Strange: you're breaking poo poo when you do it. We don't know what would happen when you rewind the act of snapping a gauntlet armed with all of the infinity stones.

Yeah this makes the most sense to me. Or the stone leaves Strange's possession. The fact that the time stone was with Tony when he died makes it sound extremely problematic to rewind him back to life and entirely different from pointing the time stone at an apple to make it uneaten. This is like pointing the time stone at itself which is hurting my brain to think about. Maybe the time stone is just exempt from its own history or something. I dunno. The limitations on these objects haven't been fully explored at this point but I think overall, walking away from the movie bothered that Strange didn't recover the time stone from Tony's corpse and make some huge play with it is a little bit much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Cameo posted:

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: Better Things Aren't Possible

about right for a movie series borne at the height of neoliberalism

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: Let's not risk the lives of half the Earth's population for the sake of one billionaire seems like pretty good praxis to me

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

LividLiquid posted:

He never had the time stone after he gave it up in Infinity War.

Well yeah, but he could just pick it up from Tony's body and use it

But it's probably time to drop all this, nothing will be resolved, best to just let it go and say Only Thanos had the power to restore a living being, Strange could only do things like apples or books or that reversing around the stones is a bad idea (even though Thanos restored a stone itself using this power in the last film

It's all just Calvinball anyway.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

ungulateman posted:

I repeat myself. They killed him, and then they went back in time and rolled the dice on a new outcome, that if it failed, would see the universe shredded to the last atom. That's the plot of the film. The part where they don't do it again - or do it better in the first place, really - is an ideological fantasy.

"This is the best of all possible worlds." That's the fantasy the MCU is built upon. What a terrifying thought.

They tried it the first time to bring trillions and trillions of murdered people back to life. And they had no way of knowing that Thanos was going to cotton on to what they were doing. Trying it again just to get Tony Stark back is plain daft. I get that the MCU is built up as an idealised fantasy but only to a point right? What you're suggesting isn't much different to Captain America deciding that saving Vision's life in Infinity War instead of having Wanda destroy him and the the mind stone immediately was worth placing those aforementioned trillions in jeopardy and sure enough it turned out emphatically to have been the wrong move

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I agree with what most have said about the use of Captain Marvel in the film.

It seemed like the right amount although I would like to have seen Nick Fury, Colby, and the SHIELD Helicarrier make an appearance during the final battle in place of Captain Marvel just flying through Thanos' ship a couple times. I absolutely thought that was the direction they were going when Thanos' ship stopped bombarding the ground and began firing at something in the air. It would have been much more satisfying for the audience and Captain Marvel would still have had plenty of screen time/usefulness.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

garycoleisgod posted:

Well yeah, but he could just pick it up from Tony's body and use it

This would likely not work:

teagone posted:

When Strange winds back time to bring back the torn page, two pages now exist yeah? All the stones were part of Tony when he died; based on the Vision scene in Infinity War, rewinding Tony after taking the time stone out of the gauntlet would create another time stone when you bring him back. That doesn't sound safe based on what we know. Wong details the implications of meddling with the time stone's manipulation of the space-time continuum in Doctor Strange: you're breaking poo poo when you do it. We don't know what would happen when you rewind the act of snapping a gauntlet armed with all of the infinity stones. Their properties are probably different than an apple or a piece of parchment.

Further expanded on here:

Ghost Head posted:

Yeah this makes the most sense to me. Or the stone leaves Strange's possession. The fact that the time stone was with Tony when he died makes it sound extremely problematic to rewind him back to life and entirely different from pointing the time stone at an apple to make it uneaten. This is like pointing the time stone at itself which is hurting my brain to think about. Maybe the time stone is just exempt from its own history or something. I dunno. The limitations on these objects haven't been fully explored at this point but I think overall, walking away from the movie bothered that Strange didn't recover the time stone from Tony's corpse and make some huge play with it is a little bit much.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
Can you imagine the ecological and health toll reappearing half the world's vermin would take?

Rats breed fast and so they would repopulate a city like NY pretty quickly after a thanos snap. Now add back all the dusted rats to a city already back at optimal rat population and rats would be everywhere.

Now do the same math with mosquitos and tse tse flies and you're going to have a global health crisis on your hands.

Maybe in the next avengers they all become epidemiologists, doctors, and infectious disease experts to clean up their mess.

🤔

2nd Rate Poster fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 28, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I had assumed that the Snappening only applied to sentient beings.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pirate Jet posted:

I see this repeated out of context a lot and I think its pretty clear every time its by people who have an irrational axe to grind, he on his blog by the way explains himself that no he's not actually for eugenics, but he likes saying things to make chuds mad. And your buying into gamergator propaganda by repeating it uncritically.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had assumed that the Snappening only applied to sentient beings.

ant man seems really surprised to see birds right after it happens so I think it's all living things?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One thing I might have missed... what was that smaller hammer Thor gives Cap for Mjolnir in the final battle?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Avalerion posted:

One thing I might have missed... what was that smaller hammer Thor gives Cap for Mjolnir in the final battle?

That is Mjolnir. The "larger" hammer is the Axe he made.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I see this repeated out of context a lot and I think its pretty clear every time its by people who have an irrational axe to grind, he on his blog by the way explains himself that no he's not actually for eugenics, but he likes saying things to make chuds mad. And your buying into gamergator propaganda by repeating it uncritically.

Oh so he’s kidding around when he says the working class is subhuman! That’s much better.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Isn't it illogical for Thanos to get rid of the infinity stones after one snap because the 50% of all life remaining will recover the old population quite quickly? This has probably been asked before.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Isn't it illogical for Thanos to get rid of the infinity stones after one snap because the 50% of all life remaining will recover the old population quite quickly? This has probably been asked before.

I think Thanos believed everyone would come to appreciate what he had done once everyone realised they were now living in paradise with plenty to go around and they would take measures to keep the population under control. Everyone seems to know who he is. Captain America mentioned him by name in his group counselling session like it was just common knowledge. That's just speculation. It's probably just as likely the writers overlooked that

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well-known Gamergater YouTuber, shaun_jen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sponges posted:

Oh so he’s kidding around when he says the working class is subhuman! That’s much better.
Bob swings too wide pretty fuckin' often, but he doesn't hate the working class. He hates the Mexicans are taking our jobs crowd and long ago stopped giving a gently caress about pouring sugar on that.

I'm with Shaun, don't get me wrong, but Shaun doesn't live in the middle of this stuff and it's a purely theoretical exercise for him.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So mad literally posted twice. Edit: Or I thought you did, weird.

sponges posted:

Were you for or against James Gunn being rehired?

He's also never said to my knowledge "the working class" is subhuman, there are some qualifiers there that you appear to be omitting that makes him no different from any other aggrieved vocal poster over in D&D.

Pirate Jet posted:

Well-known Gamergater YouTuber, shaun_jen.

Sorry I don't know who this is, presumably they are a progressive youtuber who also happens in this instance to repeat something that is disingenuous and out of context. Contrapoints iirc retweets MovieBob, is she also bad?

Edit:

LividLiquid posted:

Bob swings too wide pretty fuckin' often, but he doesn't hate the working class. He hates the Mexicans are taking our jobs crowd and long ago stopped giving a gently caress about pouring sugar on that.

I'm with Shaun, don't get me wrong, but Shaun doesn't live in the middle of this stuff and it's a purely theoretical exercise for him.

This. I think its fine to be like, find it distasteful regardless but the bee some goons have up their bonnet gets old and tired.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 28, 2019

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

So mad literally posted twice. Edit: Or I thought you did, weird.

Were you for or against James Gunn being rehired?

He's also never said to my knowledge "the working class" is subhuman

He said working class “people”. Note the quotation marks. He’s an elitist scumbag.

Ignoring that, his videos are absolute poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sponges posted:

He said working class “people”. Note the quotation marks. He’s an elitist scumbag.

Man, I'm trying to empathize with you and have been all night.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Head posted:

I think Thanos believed everyone would come to appreciate what he had done once everyone realised they were now living in paradise with plenty to go around and they would take measures to keep the population under control. Everyone seems to know who he is. Captain America mentioned him by name in his group counselling session like it was just common knowledge. That's just speculation. It's probably just as likely the writers overlooked that

Thanos you dum dum, life doesn't care!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

garycoleisgod posted:

But it's probably time to drop all this, nothing will be resolved, best to just let it go and say Only Thanos had the power to restore a living being,

Again, watch the backwards fight in Dr. Strange. Doc effortlessly brings his friend back to life.

Simultaneously, everyone else in the universe (without time-powers) is reduced to a backwards-moving meat puppet. Mads Mikkelsen is only able to fight back because he sees a backwards-moving Strange, realizes what’s going on, and casts a time reversal spell on himself.

Again, I’m not saying this is a plot hole. The plot of Endgame is simply that, by all appearances, Dr. Strange murders Tony Stark. And, perhaps, you can couple that with Swinton’s lying about how the time travel works. Either that or they’re ridiculously inept.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sorry I don't know who this is, presumably they are a progressive youtuber who also happens in this instance to repeat something that is disingenuous and out of context. Contrapoints iirc retweets MovieBob, is she also bad?

I seriously don't give a poo poo about rating individual YouTube film critics who are only differentiated from "guy rants in truck" videos by how much money they spent on their equipment, but I do think it's right to laugh at the fact that your opinions are informed by a man that refers to human beings as "people" in quotation marks and pretty regularly talks about how there needs to be intelligence tests for voting, and no amount of "he's just trolling the cons!" is going to make Poe's Law stop existing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sponges posted:

The thing you and Pirate Jet seem to keep omitting is the context is clearly, as LividLiquid says, "DER TAKIN ARE JERBS" Trump voters, why are you so angry about him using "quotes" to refer to people who want all gay people dead, African Americans to not have voting rights, and for hispanics rounded up in camps? It's what they voted for. This set of opinions (trump voters bad) is no different from anyone from D&D.

Pirate Jet posted:

I seriously don't give a poo poo about rating individual YouTube film critics who are only differentiated from "guy rants in truck" videos by how much money they spent on their equipment, but I do think it's right to laugh at the fact that your opinions are informed by a man that refers to human beings as "people" in quotation marks and pretty regularly talks about how there needs to be intelligence tests for voting, and no amount of "he's just trolling the cons!" is going to make Poe's Law stop existing.

You keep ignoring and blowing past the context that he's actually specific in his vitriol to legitimately terrible people; it's like getting angry at someone for saying the Nazi's deserved what they got. Just why? Why are you so angry about him attacking Trumpers? It's not even a matter of Poe's Law, it's you specifically omitting obvious context to pretend he's directed those posts at a much wider range of people then intended; that's dishonesty, so it rings hollow when it's so obviously disingenuous.

Do you feel people are legitimately too mean towards Nazi's? Did you get angry when the Wolfeinstein devs said punching Nazi's is good? Do you think the Neonazi's who complained on twitter had a reasonable point? Because that's what you're doing.

Your response here is basically an admission that your grievance is paper thin.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 28, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Moviebob is basically a liberal fascist who buys wholeheartedly into racist talking points without understanding they're obvious dogwhistles. Also, he wrote a book about how Super Mario Bros 3 influenced his life. He has nothing to offer.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
“Plot holes” are always relatively inconsequential stuff.

Example: Hawkeye should be the only one allowed to use the gauntlet, because he’s the only one who (technically?) sacrificed someone. That’s not a huge deal for the narrative but - lol - Red Skull could have easily obtained the Orange Soul Emerald by just snatching it from whichever idiot did the sacrifice. Pretty big loophole there!

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 28, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

You keep ignoring and blowing past the context that he's actually specific in his vitriol to legitimately terrible people; it's like getting angry at someone for saying the Nazi's deserved what they got. Just why? Why are you so angry about him attacking Trumpers? It's not even a matter of Poe's Law, it's you specifically omitting obvious context to pretend he's directed those posts at a much wider range of people then intended; that's dishonesty, so it rings hollow when it's so obviously disingenuous.

Do you feel people are legitimately too mean towards Nazi's? Did you get angry when the Wolfeinstein devs said punching Nazi's is good? Do you think the Neonazi's who complained on twitter had a reasonable point? Because that's what you're doing.

Your response here is basically an admission that your grievance is paper thin.

What in the gently caress is this strawman bullshit.

I don't like when people are referred to as subhuman so I must think Nazis are treated unfairly. That is some galaxy brain poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Plot holes”, they’re always relatively inconsequential stuff.

Example: Hawkeye should be the only one allowed to use the gauntlet, because he’s the only one who (technically?) sacrificed someone. That’s not a huge deal for the narrative but - lol - Red Skull could have easily obtained the Orange Soul Emerald by just snatching it from whichever idiot did the sacrifice. Pretty big loophole there!

I... are you even watching the movies?

Red Skull A) explicitly says he was banshed there to guard a treasure he can never possess. Considering he's a weird-rear end ghost dude he is very likely being literal about that.

B) When someone gets the Soul Stone they wake up in a pool far away from the location. It isn't like they walk out past Red Skull.