Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
gently caress your posting!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Captain Foo posted:

If you want a jpg of an engine, give star citizen money

If you want an engine, give Honda money

the jpg is more expensive

make a picture, it'll last longer

it's called "value"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bulgakov posted:

is that why they put everyone to sleep??

he is the president...

of the boring company

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

muckswirler posted:

Living anywhere near a busy freeway where it doesn't rain much will straight up cover your window sills with rubber/brake pad particulate. I'd rather suck a tailpipe all day than have that poo poo floating around.

there was a recent study that determined that living within a mile of a busy roadway is close enough to develop health problems from the pollution

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So THAT'S why my balcony and all our outdoor plants get completely covered in black poo poo every day, to the point that we can't walk out there barefoot if it's been more than one day since we've mopped it, unless we want completely black feet. Rubber tire clouds and brake dust. Happens at both our place and our temporary place insurance got us. Both are corner units overlooking busy intersections.

I always thought it was soot / exhaust....

This makes all the Teslas that drive by and the concept of EVs even more hilarious, knowing that they're each contributing as much to our balcony filth as the rest of the cars. Or more, due to their weight.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 28, 2019

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there was a recent study that determined that living within a mile of a busy roadway is close enough to develop health problems from the pollution

hmm, i wonder what racial and economic demographics in those areas look like.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

GWBBQ posted:

hmm, i wonder what racial and economic demographics in those areas look like.

it's probably whiter and wealthier than you expect. adjacent to a freeway or major thrufare might be poorer than average, but within a mile covers basically every suburb and subdivision in america. probably the best place to be is in the deepest, poorest countryside

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

the talent deficit posted:

it's probably whiter and wealthier than you expect. adjacent to a freeway or major thrufare might be poorer than average, but within a mile covers basically every suburb and subdivision in america. probably the best place to be is in the deepest, poorest countryside

can't get sick in clean coal country

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
give me the beat boys, and free my soul
i wanna inhale some of that clean coal

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

incels interlinked posted:

give me the beat boys, and free my soul
i wanna inhale some of that clean coal

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

I guess I'm going based on what it's like in CT, where interstate highway development was intentionally used to hurt majority-black neighborhoods and those areas remain poor and majority non-white

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I guess I'm going based on what it's like in CT, where interstate highway development was intentionally used to hurt majority-black neighborhoods and those areas remain poor and majority non-white

The (very good) investigative piece the LA Times did found a mix of wealthy and poor households. LA county has been easing restrictions on building close to freeways at the same time as soundproofing material has gotten better so you’re seeing high rise luxury condos going in less than 100 feet from freeways as well as smaller, affordable housing complexes for the poor.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Oh for sure. Anybody who's seen the stuff Dumb Lowtax is talking about should realize they don't want to be breathing that poo poo. Ceramic and metal particulate are going to gently caress you up worse than gas pollution and hydrocarbons every time and the levels are going to fall off fast as you move away from road. Just everyone buy an air filter or only breathe through your bongs please.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

FCKGW posted:

The (very good) investigative piece the LA Times did found a mix of wealthy and poor households. LA county has been easing restrictions on building close to freeways at the same time as soundproofing material has gotten better so you’re seeing high rise luxury condos going in less than 100 feet from freeways as well as smaller, affordable housing complexes for the poor.

places that have a balcony but it faces, and nearly overlooks, a massive freeway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bulgakov posted:

places that have a balcony but it faces, and nearly overlooks, a massive freeway

bienvenidos a toronto

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Love the guy in the Ford Ranger.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

that giant luxury condo unit that went up in flames from that arsonist a couple years back is what came to mind

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FCKGW posted:

that giant luxury condo unit that went up in flames from that arsonist a couple years back is what came to mind

deconstructed housing. the next big thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

deconstructed housing. the next big thing.

pomo AF

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

great now a bunch of trust fund kids are gonna go and gentrify tent encampments. also this post is on topic because it's something grimes would totally do

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

great now a bunch of trust fund kids are gonna go and gentrify tent encampments. also this post is on topic because it's something grimes would totally do

dumpsterfyre festival

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it happened about 33 years ago, it's called burning man

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's called glamping

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i got a news notification on my phone about tesla seeking "alternative" funding. that is definitely good, right?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A tent restaurant opened under a bridge in Toronto 15 days after a homeless tent city in the same location was demolished. Minumum group size is 4 at $99/ea and tent rental is $149.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...ction-1.5079628
https://www.dinnerwithaview.ca/en/toronto

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
as long as it’s not secured

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

that condo fire in LA was great too because they were already in the poo poo for planning to build a bridge over the homeless encampment next door so residents didn't have to see them walking to their car

also it turns out that that the company didn't follow a bunch of fire codes during construction and that's the reason the whole thing burned to the ground. even with arson, it should have contained the fire to a small section.

the guy who started the fire said he did it to protest police killings of unarmed black folks

it's peak america

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

derelicté

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Lol yeah that overpass restaurant is obnoxious. The thing we didn't realize about the dystopian future is how many of us would be complaining about it online.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i can derelicté my own balls

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

muckswirler posted:

Lol yeah that overpass restaurant is obnoxious. The thing we didn't realize about the dystopian future is how many of us would be complaining about it online.

[points to av]

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

We need a new name for the future now. The aftertimes or some poo poo

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

muckswirler posted:

We need a new name for the future now. The aftertimes or some poo poo

it's new game+

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wasn’t there a palahniuk book about this?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i would say it's more of a general theme in his work and ive only read like 2 or 3 of his books :thunk:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheany posted:

i got a news notification on my phone about tesla seeking "alternative" funding. that is definitely good, right?

they should just claim they're making another new model and take nonrefundable preorders and count it as income

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8WI3nc1l0
Why is this place messing with laser scanners to detect obsticales when Elomng says they are foolish and you just need more cameras???

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

they should just claim they're making another new model and take nonrefundable preorders and count it as income

again, for like the third time in a year? i mean that's just a given at this point.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

A tent restaurant opened under a bridge in Toronto 15 days after a homeless tent city in the same location was demolished. Minumum group size is 4 at $99/ea and tent rental is $149.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...ction-1.5079628
https://www.dinnerwithaview.ca/en/toronto

it wasn't in the same location, it was about a kilometer away, under the same highway.

doesn't change anything, but people keep repeating that and it's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

infernal machines posted:

it wasn't in the same location, it was about a kilometer away, under the same highway.

doesn't change anything, but people keep repeating that and it's wrong.

shut up fishmech